As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi KisaragiRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
XLJU5.png

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. (A Game Remade)

For those who don't know, Final Fantasy XIV originally released in September 2010 and was.... well it was basically a train wreck.

Despite stunning visuals and an interesting story the game itself was lacking mechanically. The UI was broken and sluggish, the combat was unresponsive and stiff, the world was bland and sparse, and the quests outside of the story were forgettable and dull. They tried for awhile to stem the bleeding by putting out some content patches and trying to fix a lot of the issues, but the game was on it's death rattle and had barely even begun.

However, instead of just cutting their losses and leaving the game to hobble on and eventually die, Square-Enix decided to take a different approach...

They hired Naoki Yoshida.
PJKSxLb.jpg

Mr. Yoshida (Known as Yoshi_P) took over the project and it was decided that instead of trying to fix the current game. They would just make a new one.

This one.

And it's a damned good thing they did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wy1S866A0E

So now we have a game with Stunning visuals, combat that is fun and engaging, a world that is full of life and secrets to be found, quests that are plentiful in number and each with it's own interesting little story to be told. Oh and Chocobos that actually fight along side you, Magitech that you can eventually ride and battle with, and generally everything that we wanted in the first game.

News

We just finished up phase 4 of Closed Beta 3 and are now in a holding pattern for the commencement of the Open Beta (Beta 4) which will mark the start of our persistent characters.

So far the PA crowd (or anyone who wants to plays with us) will be gathering on the Sargatanas (Legacy) server once Beta 4 hits.

Early Access will begin on August 24th and will persist until the game releases on August 27th.

As of 8/8/2013 only the Japanese Pre-order codes can be registered. The NA and EU codes will be able to be registered starting on the 20th per the information contained in this link: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/96072-Pre-order-code-concerns?p=1165442&viewfull=1#post1165442

FFXIV: ARR Client download

Note: This is just the Launcher download. You MUST use the new launcher as the older beta launchers will NOT work. It is safe to delete your old Beta 3 installation as it will no longer work anyways. This Launcher will work in Beta 4, Early Access, and Release.
Greg USN wrote: »
Also this:

JP20130813_1.jpgJP20130813_2.jpg

Come on, who doesn't want some snazzy Chocobos with hats?

NOTE: If you are experiencing Cutscenes that are cut in half (The top or bottom part is black) you need to uninstall the Windows Security Update KB2803821 until Microsoft releases a fix.

Update on the Pre-Order code situation

http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1kqpcc/preorder_site_not_currently_working_as_intended/
Apologies if this is buried somewhere in another thread but-

Right I've spoken to SE support again directly, this is the info fed to me:

Currently even though the page is live to the public, it's not actually working as intended.
  • Don't use the http://preorder.eu.finalfantasyxiv.com (or na / jp) link(s) as it won't work.
  • Everyone will be notified, that entered their email address into the official site previously as to when the page is actually 'actively functioning' to redeem your codes.
  • The XXXXX-XXX-XXXXXX-XXX , 18 digit code you receive from your retailer you purchased the pre-order from IS the code you use @ http://preorder.eu.finalfantasyxiv.com but only to be used when the community (as a whole) is notified via email that the page is up and functioning officially for use. Support advised me to advise anyone, not to use the page until said notification email is received (he approximated within the next 24/48 hours)
  • I asked them "Is my code now void..." because the game is now registered against my SE account but on PC instead of PS3, they reassured me that the code will not be void and to try it again when the page is active. If it doesn't work, then to phone them directly and they will address it.

NNID: delphinidaes
Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
delphinidaes.png
Delphinidaes on

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Races:

All the races from FFXI are back with new names and the addition of a couple new genders! All info is from the official FFXIV: ARR website.
    Hyur:
    bw4YPnO.png
    Over the course of some one thousand years and three great migratory waves, the Hyur have come to be the most populous of the civilized races in Eorzea. Compared to the others, theirs is an average physique, both in terms of height and build. The Hyur champion personal freedom and liberty, and their espousal of an eclectic variety of languages and traditions is a legacy of their diverse heritage―as is their resulting lack of a unified cultural identity.

The Hyur are divided into the Midlanders and the Highlanders.

Hyur Naming Conventions
    Miqo'te:
    Irvdaqh.png
    Though their presence in Eorzea is lesser than that of the other races, the Miqo'te are easily distinguished by their large, projecting ears and restless, feline tails. The ancestors of this line first made their way to the realm during the Age of Endless Frost in the Fifth Umbral Era, traversing frozen seas in pursuit of the wildlife upon which they subsisted. Instinctual territoriality causes many among them to lead solitary lifestyles. Males in particular are said to shy from contact with others.

They are divided into the Seekers of the Sun, and the Keepers of the Moon.

Miqo'te Naming Conventions
    Elezen:
    r6NSyXE.png
    The Elezen are a characteristically tall people, long of limb and slender of build. They are also possessed of a somewhat extended lifespan in comparison to the Hyur. The Elezen once claimed sole dominion over Eorzea, their presence predating that of the other races, and, as such, developed a heightened sense of honor and pride. In years past, the Hyur migration into Elezen lands sparked bitter conflict. At present, however, the mutual understanding reached between the two races allows them to work towards mutual peace and prosperity.

The Elezen are divided into the Wildwood, and the Duskwight.

Elezen Naming Conventions
    Roegadyn:
    RA4zB3L.png
    The Roegadyn are easily identified by their massive, muscular frames. They are descended from a maritime people that roamed the northern seas, though many of their ancestors turned their longships south to brave the crossing into Eorzean waters. Often considered a barbaric race, the fiercely competitive Roegadyn are also known for their compassion and unswerving loyalty. Many of the greatest warriors in history were born of Roegadyn stock.

The Roegadyn are divided into the Sea Wolves, and the Hellsguard.

Roegadyn Naming Conventions
    Lalafell:
    C65FkC7.png
    The Lalafell are a folk both rotund and diminutive. Small by any race's standards and possessed of a childlike countenance, it proves difficult for non-Lalafell to gauge an individual's age with any degree of accuracy. Originally an agricultural people inhabiting the fertile islands of the south seas, they found their way to Eorzea via the burgeoning trade routes. Lalafell are welcoming of outsiders, and share prosperous relations with all of the other races of Eorzea.

The Lalafell are divided into the Plainsfolk and the Dunesfolk.

Lalafell Naming conventions

Classes: (Letter in parenthesis designates the city in which each Class has it's guild. Cities are Gridania (G), Limsa Lominsa (L), and Ul'dah (U)

*Note: Only the Disciples of War/Magic are available as a starting class. The Disciples of Hand/Land can be switched to once you unlock the ability to change class around lvl 10.

In FFXIV: ARR your character is able to access any and all classes and jobs that exist within the game. Unlike most other MMOs where you choose a single class at the start and are stuck with that Class throughout the game, FFXIV: ARR allows you to change your Class at will once you unlock the ability to do so by taking your starting Class to level 10 and completing the appropriate quest.

Each Class in FFXIV: ARR is leveled separately and retains any and all XP you gain on that Class when you switch. This means if you start as a Marauder and take it to level 15 and switch to Conjurer, your Marauder Class remains level 15 and you are now a level 1 Conjurer. If you play your Conjurer for awhile get to level 4 or so and decide to switch back to Marauder you are now a lvl 15 Marauder again and your Conjurer remains at level 4.

To switch your class (after completing the unlock quest) you simply seek out the desired Class Guild and speak to the Guild Receptionist who will give you a quest to speak to the Guildmaster. Upon speaking to the Guildmaster you will receive a weapon/tool appropriate to the desired Class and by equipping that weapon/toll you will transform into that Class.

The nice thing about having the ability to change your Class is that you are able to unlock abilities on each Class that you can then carry over to other Classes. Want a Lancer that can Cure? How about an Archer with Second Wind? Maybe a nice Parry buff on your Gladiator? All of this is possible by leveling up the appropriate Class that has the ability you want and then switch to the Class you want to use it on and set the ability you want from the Skills menu.

Jobs
    Jobs are a bit different as they are extensions of certain Classes. Once you reach the requisite level of the appropriate Classes (usually around lvl 30) you can unlock the Job associated with that Class or Classes. A Job is a more specialized version of the Class or Classes that it is associated with. A Conjurer for example can become a White Mage, and a Pugilist can become a Monk. Each Job has it's own requirements that must be met before you can unlock it. Some Jobs require only one Class at the appropriate level, some require two.

The Jobs we know of so far are as follows with the main Class they build off of in Parenthesis:

Travel
    With a world as large as Eorzea, getting around can be a daunting task. Luckily in FFXIV: ARR you have a variety of travel services you can utilize to ease the burden of travel.
    • Mounts: It just wouldn't be a Final Fantasy game without Chocobos. And luckily we not only get to ride them, but we get to fight alongside them as well. Don't worry if you aren't a fan of Chocobos though, because there will be a variety of mounts you can ride including Coeurls, Gobbue (only if you got it in Legacy?), Magitech armor, and more. Not only will you be able to ride, but you'll also be able to outfit your mounts with various cosmetic armors.

The basic mount will be your Chocobo, which you can get access to around lvl 20 via the main storyline. Before then however you can still hire out chocobos from your local Chocoporters who are more than happy to lend you a chocobo for a paltry fee.

• Teleport: This is how you will get around in a hurry, however it is also the most expensive way to travel so you pay for the convenience. Eorzea is littered with Aetheryte Crystals (conveniently located in most major Camps and Cities). Once you have reached an Aetheryte Crystal you can attune to it, effectively adding it to your list of available teleport locations. Teleport itself has no cooldown, but as I mentioned before can be a bit pricey if you use it a lot. On the plu sside however when you do activate Teleport anyone in your party in the same zone as you will also be able to tag along, provided they have already attuned to the destination Crystal.

• Return: Return is like your classic hearthstone. You can set an Aetheryte Crystal as your 'Home Point' (an option upon selecting the Crystal) and when you use your Return spell it will take you there instantly and for no fee. However it is on a 15 minute cooldown.

• Ferries: Around Eorzea you will find many Ferries that link various Zones together. For a small fee you can ride these Ferries to make travel a bit easier.

• Airships: Upon clearing the prerequisite Story quests at lvl 15 you will be granted an Airship pass which will allow you to travel between the major Cities of Gridania, Ul'dah, and Limsa Lominsa for a nominal fee. This is cheaper than using Teleport but is much more restrictive in terms of usage since you can only use Airships from the Airship ports themselves in each city.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
    edited August 2013
    PA Community Info

Server:
    Sargatanas (Legacy) NA

Get the current Server Status from www.arrstatus.com

Free Company
    Ghost in the Linkshell (gitl.enjin.com)

If you need an invite to the Free Company just message one of the following people in game using /tell and let them know you are from the PA forum

Sionnach Rua
    Petra Ironheart
    Delphi Kisaragi
    Treave Blackthorn
    Heidi Heterodyne
    Chipper Ulven

or anybody currently in the FC as they all have rights to invite. The above names however are familiar with the invite process and should be easier to access.

PA Linkshells:

None Yet, if you've made a PA Linkshell let me know so I can add it!

Voice Chat

Update:
    Greg USN wrote:
    I talked with a lot of people yesterday and we concluded that perhaps, sharing the current Raidcall Channel (being used by Penny-Arcade Tera fans and some League of Legends players) was not the best idea. It was for this reason that last night we created a new Raidcall channel specifically for this Game/FC. This will alleviate the clutter of having three plus games share one RC Channel as well as eliminate the "WANG" name (which i know some folks are not too fond of). There is a downside though, as the new channel is not sponsored by Raidcall we will lose the oppertunity to raise money for Child's Play through channel use. @Lloye and I talked about that and he told me that he will help us work with the RC team so we can attempt to obtain sponsorship.

Raidcall (New info!)
    • Download the software at www.raidcall.com
    • After installing it and such, You need to search for "6871673" or "Ghost in the Linkshell" and in the application message to apply to the group make sure to put "PA FFXIV".
    • Note: once you're in the group, to change your displayed name, right click yourself and select change Membership Name

Ventrillo info:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/39448/pa-forums-ventrilo-server-there-s-also-a-teamspeak-server/p1

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Sionnach RuaSionnach Rua FFXIV: Sionnach RuaRegistered User regular
    Yaaaay pretty fresh smelling new thread!

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

I just make random noises... mreh
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Smells like Chocobo.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    I think the physical copies of ARR CE are sold out. That kinda sucks. =(

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    speaking of that, what happens if you get the download ce, do you get any of the physical prizes or just the in-game stuff

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

With Digital River at the helm, what could go wrong?

... I'm scared.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Just the in game stuff if you bought the download CE.

I'm hoping they put the soundtrack up for sale outside of the physical CE because I really want it.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    speaking of that, what happens if you get the download ce, do you get any of the physical prizes or just the in-game stuff

Just the digital stuff.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Thread smells weird

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    I'm having Elezen withdrawals.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Dyvion wrote: »
    I'm having Elezen withdrawals.

I'm playing some FFXI to assist in this problem.

Won a few statues in the mog bonanza anyway, so that's cool!

Would rather be playing XIV. :(

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I was thinking of getting it

I think it's for the best since I already got the original CE

fuck gendered marketing
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2013
    I wanted to get it, but I kept forgetting. Or did I get it already? Must search my E-Mails.

Edit: Whew, I ordered on the 26th.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Re: the outfit video in the last thread --

I want that chocobo outfit. Hopefully on my Highlander female it becomes a sexy chocobo outfit.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

Yup. Have been for about a week now.

Elldren wrote: »

Same but I wanted the pretties. Well $70 saved is $70 earned?

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
    Elldren wrote: »

Same but I wanted the pretties. Well $70 saved is $70 earned?

yipyip!

FFXIV Character: Sionnach Rua on Sargantanas. Join us on Ghost in the Linkshell! The company site is: gitl.enjin.com

edited July 2013
    Ok that's enough messing with the OP for now. I'll finish it up with Class info tomorrow and work on the formatting. I was expecting the thread to last quite a bit longer so I could tackle it over the weekend but the name discussion accelerated things :)

If anyone wants to put together a newbie guide for day 1, or any other such info please just let me know and i'll update it.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    I'll be here to join you guys when it releases on day 1. Got my pre-order in.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Digital CE is what, $50?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Lunysgwen wrote: »
    LUNNNNNY! OMG OMG LUNNYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Already got my 1.0 CE. I shouldn't be bothered too much about not getting the Physical 2.0 CE...

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
    Yay double omg yay!

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Digital CE is what, $50?

Its too bad you missed the 20 - 25% off that greenmangaming had for awhile. You could wait a bit to see if it goes back on sale shortly.

Yay double omg yay!

Sorry sometimes I get puppy levels of excited about things lol

• NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Welp, I guess I won't be joining the PA group. My friends and some old XI buddies are insisting on another server and all the nut kicking in the world won't make them budge. Oh well. Maybe I'll see some of you in game.

tell them we have more cookies than the dark side?

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    New members will get their own hand crafted subligar!

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Robes wrote: »
    New members will get their own hand crafted subligar!

okay I'm in

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Digital CE is what, $50?

Its too bad you missed the 20 - 25% off that greenmangaming had for awhile. You could wait a bit to see if it goes back on sale shortly.

Eh, I won't have the money to spare for it until the week before launch anyway, so it's not a huge deal.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is there a thing to check if they got your request for server transfer? I want to confirm.

I blame ebay.

Krathoon wrote: »
    Is there a thing to check if they got your request for server transfer? I want to confirm.

World transfer application has been taken down (you could check there before) and the Beta Lodestone is also disabled as of yesterday (It had your characters current server listed)

So right now I would say there is not. :(

delphinidaes.png

I went back to my server application and it showed that I was still where I selected and no longer on Masamune

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg

I went back to my server application and it showed that I was still where I selected and no longer on Masamune

Do you have a link to that? I couldn't access it anymore.

delphinidaes.png
    edited July 2013

I blame ebay.

There is a place where they are still available online.

Hint:
    http://youtu.be/VJJ-ZLdrTwY

Which is a little weird because there is more of a mature edge to this game.

Krathoon on
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Stupid Q, I never bothered to check during Beta 3 so might as well ask. How tiny is Flash's radius? Is it like 5 yards or something? Trying to pick up during the 1st and 2nd boss fights in Copperbell was frustrating to say the least.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    The difference between Hyur Midlanders and Northlanders is pretty substantial. Anyone notice any big differences between the other races' ethnicities? It looked like non-Hyur races just had palette-swaps.

This discussion has been closed.