As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, July 11, 2013 - Surplus

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited July 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Surplus

Surplus
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/surplus

Mighty Casey had it easy.

Anonymous

It was my first job in the game biz after graduating from an art college with a fancy video game degree. A big time publisher had two offices here, and I got to work for their console games division. My first assignment? Testing a baseball game on the PSP. That surely had to be fun, right? Right?

QA’ing a baseball game, never mind one on a portable console, is an exercise in mind-numbing tedium. Sure, some assignments were relatively simple and just involved mindless monotony. Testing every field with every grass pattern. There may have been a tertiary condition that involved time of day. I don’t remember and I don’t want to. There were around five grass patterns that I can remember. How many major league stadiums are there? The game might have had the minor league stadiums available, too.

Of course, none of this even came close to a certain task we had to do. The goal sounded simple at first- you have to take into account a few things to realize the torture that lied ahead. The objective? Hit a home run, aimed specifically at the top edge of the outfield wall between second and third base. It required a degree of precision that would make even Golgo 13 blush. Getting the ball to go right where you want it to go is next to impossible in a baseball game. Is a simple toss from Home Run Derby good enough to do it? Does leaning the control stick even WORK in home run derby? Do we have to tough this out in a real match and risk getting struck out as a result, forced to either restart the match to bat again or pitch our way to a new inning? Is the physics engine going to let us do what we want? Is a PSP even capable of this sort of precision guided batting?

Are we just the Random Number Generator’s playthings?

Ultimately, I was a little sad to see the game go gold and get shipped out. We went through so much together.

Geth on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Do we finally have the chance to see Isaac do whatever it was he did to completely destroy the other games he worked on?

Or is this his moment of redemption? Seems like their project couldn't get much worse considering Q's approach.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Prediction: Isaac's plan ultimately leads to failure, but there is some small sliver of success which hints at quality and allows the team to survive.

• Options
    Aurich wrote: »
    Prediction: Isaac's plan ultimately leads to failure, but there is some small sliver of success which hints at quality and allows the team to survive.

Counter prediction: Isaac attempts something which looks like it's going to ruin EVERYTHING because of his greed and arrogance, and it ironically leads to the success and redemption of the team. The old guy writer threatens to shoot them both at least one more time.

• Options
    Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    We've heard of this baseball game with the specific glitch before.
    IIRC, it was about knocking ball out of park (home run) to the right after winning a no-loss streak championship. Which will result in the game crashing or something.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I though Isaac worked for Q already?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Spaffy wrote: »
    I though Isaac worked for Q already?

He does. As QA. He wants on the dev team.

Can't help but giggle at the Tale referring to a baseball "match."

Gaslight on
  • Options
    KazaxatKazaxat Registered User regular
    The more important question: why did he bring the printer inside rather than leave it in the car? Or did he walk to Staples/OG?

• Options
    SargonasSargonas Professional Social Butterfly Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I just had to pop in about the Tale... as someone who has a Golgo 13 arcade unit in his garage, the reference made me smile. :D

Sargonas on
  • Options
    Kazaxat wrote: »
    The more important question: why did he bring the printer inside rather than leave it in the car? Or did he walk to Staples/OG?

Maybe Q doesn't have a car. He walks from his house to things.

Isaac doesn't have a house. He sleeps in his car.

Waaaaaitaminute. I see the perfect "Odd Couple" roommate setup possibility!

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Kazaxat wrote: »

hahaha, I loved that the printer was front and center in the second panel.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Some elements in Trenches hint at a connection to PvP. Gwen is an old character from PvP, and Isaac has mentioned Steel Coffin, a game that was part of a PvP story arc.

It's not known what Isaac did to get ousted from his dev position, but Steel Coffin reps tried bribing for a good review in the aforementioned PvP arc.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KarmondKarmond Registered User regular
    Is triple A 'just in my first name' an arcade joke?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Karmond wrote: »
    Is triple A 'just in my first name' an arcade joke?

No. He said brings two more A's. His name is Isaac. IsAAc.

• Options
    SambearPoetSambearPoet Atlanta, GeorgiaRegistered User regular
    I do not recall the laser printer. WTH? Just random?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's from the very first season of the comic. Isaac was living out of his car and one of his only prominent possessions was the laser printer.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.