As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

pry it open, taste the goodness{oysters]

MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
so my extended (wife's side) family is getting together for the annual trip to the jersey shore. not the MTV jersey shore (i like locally, about 4 miles from the ocean, but the house that my father in law has been renting since we was 10 is on right on the ocean). long story short, apparently this years theme is oysters. does anyone have any good recommendation for :
1) a great variety
AND
2) not bad shipping.
-locally we get either Blue Point or Wellfleets in ABUNDANCE.

i've looked at many online places, and can judge what to get based on shipping to NJ, but i'm looking more for taste/size/do i need to chug this slime down review. I know VA has some good varities (and some folks from around here) as well as New England.

ready set shuck!

steam:maguano2
gamertag:Maguano71
Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    @Elki thish should be in H/A

@geth move this to help-advice-forum

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    As someone who's sampled both west coast and east coast directly.... East coast are way better, colder the water the better.
    Damariscotta, PEI, and Rhode Island have all been tasty to me.

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Yeah, I agree with schuss. Some people like the 'buttery' Pacific oysters, but to me they just taste flabby.

Malpeques (from PEI in Canada) are great, as are some of the Maine oysters (Pemaquids and whatnot).

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I personally tend to like west coast oysters a smidge more, but here is the wrap from someone who used to sell seafood wholesale and eats oysters.

So here are a few things.
    The place you get the oyster matters more than the type of oyster itself. Getting local oysters does jack shit for you if they spend 3 days being processed at the warehouse, a day being shipped and unpacked, followed by 3 days in the cooler till they get into the rotation. At many restaurants that is standard, pretty much every place you've been to claiming fresh oysters is on this sort of schedule. And on Monday you may be looking at Oysters they got last Thursday or Wednsday. So you want a place where they circulate out oysters regularly.

Local shops order from the wholesalers too. That little seafood shop where you know the owner and everything is so fresh cause they sourced local...Yeah they ordered from the same wholesaler that Safeway and Kroger do. However they generally treat their seafood better after delivery which is very important, and makes the seafood last longer.

So that out of the way, East coast oysters that are pretty good. Long Islands (blue points), Chesapeaks, and wellfleets are all pretty good. I like Malpaques (PEI) and Wianos too, but they were always more expensive so I ate them less. I do not like Chincotegues and Apalachicolas, they don't taste very good. Gold Band Oysters are easy, because they come shucked, but the process removes some of the flavor.

zepherin on