As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dear RSP3; where is the top half of my cutscene?

Lachlan the MadLachlan the Mad Registered User new member
So I bought RPS3&4 in the Steam Summer Sales, and have installed both of them. However, when I run RSP3, the top half of every cutscene is black. The rest of the game appears to work normally, but the cutscenes are not practically watchable, so I haven't touched the game yet beyond testing this phenomenon.

So far, I've discovered that the cutscenes in RSP4 work just fine, and running RSP3 in windowed mode doesn't help. The "cutscenes" folder appears to be normal, although I can't really read it too well. I'm running 64-bit Windows 7, and my graphics driver has been a temperamental <bad word> lately, but I really hope that the problem isn't on that end.

The game's engine seems to be hideously sensitive to everything around it, so I hope that the fix is straightforward enough.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    First time I've heard of this problem before.

RS3 uses Windows Media Player for cutscenes so I imagine there's something wrong with WMP on your computer.

Other than the pre-title movie & the Quartet text when you start a new game, there are no cutscenes in RS3, so you could just skip those and play the rest of the game.

• Options
    Other than the pre-title movie & the Quartet text when you start a new game, there are no cutscenes in RS3, so you could just skip those and play the rest of the game.
    I didn't realise that. It's not as bad as I thought then. To YouTube!

• Options
    Apparently this is a problem which affects a number of Steam games, and is caused by Windows security updates. I fixed it by uninstalling Windows Update KB 2803821. A similar probably is also caused for Windows XP users thanks to update KB 2834904.