As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2014 Information & FAQ. READ THIS FIRST THEN ASK QUESTIONS HERE.

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    Man its scary seeing how quick they go. For anyone who really wants to go I suggest starting end of august to come on here every day and check. Just wondering how will we know they are on sale will something pop up or do they just tweet it or how do we know

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    rascrush wrote: »
    I see on that spreadsheet there is a (4) next to the 3 on last years just wondering what that means. Crazy that it went from 2 months sell out 2 1 day sell out in one year. Correct me if I am wrong but even if I miss out on a "3 day pass" I can still buy a single pass for each day which would really be like having a 3 day pass right. I mean it in the end is the same thing just maybe a lil more expensive correct
    the 4 next to the 3 is because PAX Prime is 4 days long, so the tracking is for a 3 day pass or a 4 day pass (whichever the "all days" pass is for a given pax). It's just the same category.

yes if 3 days sell out you can buy all 3 single day passes and it's essentially the same thing.

Man its scary seeing how quick they go. For anyone who really wants to go I suggest starting end of august to come on here every day and check. Just wondering how will we know they are on sale will something pop up or do they just tweet it or how do we know
    They usually just tweet it. No advance warning. Last year, they tweeted in early september that they would be releasing in "about a month" and it released in about a month. That's about as good as it gets ;)

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    orchid wrote: »
    My two siblings and I were thinking about attending PAX East 2014, and I was wondering if casual gamers are just as welcome as experienced ones? Not to mention teens? (Two of us would be minors, 15)

My siblings know quite a bit when it comes to games. While I enjoy playing/learning about them (mostly card games/tabletop), I'm not as into it as them, so I was wondering if I would still enjoy myself.

I think further to what Zerzhul said, anyone who follows Wheaton's law can generally be welcome and anyone interested, especially if they're interested in any form of geekery. In your particular case, Wizards had a strong showing last year and I imagine with Next coming up, it'll be big next year, as well as other game companies and gamestores. There's still plenty of great panels on a wide number of subjects, you'll see posts here on a whole bunch of things to do as sidegames. You could sit in a spot and just watch cosplayers go by and marvel at some of the work people put into their costumes.

I'll admit to a moment of shock last year when G&T were doing the signings of having people ask who they are, explaining and still having them be clueless, but its hit me that the con is so big these days, that being interested in any single aspect, even the comic behind it all is not required.

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • GreenizdabestGreenizdabest Southeast CT - USARegistered User regular
    If you were a first-time attendee to Pax, and especially being a minor, see how much wiggle room you can get to turn it into a Friday/Saturday/Sunday affair. There's an absolutely tremendous amount of things to do at Pax, to the point where a full 3 days can easily be filled with tons of gaming, show floor, panels, and all the side activities.

Also, thanks @zerzhul for that link. I remember seeing that thread but couldn't find it for the life of me (tunnel vision?). The fact that Saturday badges took so long to sell last year is comforting since it's not a terrible hole in finances if I miss the 3-day pass wagon when it launches.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I remember last year that I followed the pax twitter feed religously after prime ended. Then, when that first tweet went out about tickets were coming, it was a 24/7 twitter camp out. I remember being at work, I think it was a Monday (not sure though) in between 10 to noonish time frame, when tickets and hotels went available. I was at work, in my tech repair room, and kind of screamed, hehe. Manager heard me and had a good laugh. I wasn't worried that much about getting a 3 day ticket, but I had to have a room at the Westin. Most everyone knows that getting a Westin room is a crapshoot, but I lucked out. Just follow Twitter religiously after Prime.

Lol great I don't have twitter so guess it will just be a crapshoot. maybe I will make on just to follow pax. As far as hotels would you suggest getting your own room and then finding roomates to fill it cause getting a room for 3 nights by yourself will be quite expensive. Or would you suggest letting someone else do that and then trying to find a room after the fact. Is there generally enough people looking for a roomate that you can find a hotel spot no issue. Also if for some reason you can't get a 3 day pass and have to buy each day individully is it more expensive.

You can always cancel a hotel room. Better to get one for yourself and try to fill it, and if you find a spot in someone else's room, you can cancel.

• LordBraska1999LordBraska1999 Bahston, MARegistered User regular
    xSeaworthy wrote: »
    I know it will be hard but I'm going to try to get the Westin Hotel for Pax 2014. I was just wondering by using Onpeak (I think that's the name) and getting the Pax discount, do I have to pay for the entire thing when I reserve the room or is it just one night down payment and pay the rest when you check out? Thank you, I appreciate your help!

Here is another hotel thats fairly awesome and really low cost if you reserve early, (http://www.intercontinentalboston.com/). We stayed there last year...and it was amazing....that is of course if you can't get a room at the Weston. The cab ride was 10 bucks so it was still cheap cheap.

Do you know if you reserve a hotel room does it charge your card or anything right away or do they just reserve it. As long as it does not charge my card right away I would not care. However if it was gonna then would not want to do it. Is there a list Of hotels and how close they are to the convention center. I asume the westin is really close which is why everyone wants it right. When do hotels start going live with the discount. Also how do you get the discount.

what is this on peak thing I see people talking about

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    OnPeak handles hotel reservations for the official PAX hotels. PAX will reserve most of the rooms in these hotels and offer them at a reduced rate through OnPeak. Besides room availability, the official PAX hotels also offer the advantage of shuttle service, as all but 3 of them (Westin, Renaissance, Seaport) are a considerable walk away from the BCEC.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • dubljaydubljay Registered User new member
    Is there a place to sign up for notifications when the tickets go on sale? Also I searched for the Android app and was only able to locate "Pax East 2013 Guidebook" & "Pax Prime 2011", are these relevant to Pax East 2014?

dubljay wrote: »
    Is there a place to sign up for notifications when the tickets go on sale? Also I searched for the Android app and was only able to locate "Pax East 2013 Guidebook" & "Pax Prime 2011", are these relevant to Pax East 2014?

The only place to get a notification is by following http://twitter.com/official_pax
    It will also be posted on this forum as soon as they are available.

Guidebook is a convention guide app that can download modules for various conventions. You can download Guidebook and then download the PAX East 2014 module when it becomes available in March 2014.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I would definitely recommend getting a hotel as close to the convention center as you can afford as soon as on peak starts offering them. Last year (again, if memory serves me correctly) tickets and hotel rooms went on sale almost at the same time and the same day. I shoot for a room with 2 double beds at the Westin first, then fall back to the other 2 closest if that doesn't work. There will be a room share thread started here after rooms go on sale, so you can just offer your extra spots up and have them pay their fair share. It's a little work, but it's worth is to stay at a close hotel for as little money as possible.

do you have to put a deposit or anything when you reserve a room or do they just take it out when you get there.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So long as you book with a credit card, no deposit, you'll be charged on checkout and probably have a hold on your card on check-in.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • zalantzalant Daytona Beach, FloridaRegistered User new member
    I want a fair chance to get a 3 day pass for PAX East 2014. When do tickets go on sale? Can you be specific? How am I supposed to know when tickets go on sale?

Any tips and insights?

I really want to come.

edited July 2013
    zalant wrote: »
    I want a fair chance to get a 3 day pass for PAX East 2014. When do tickets go on sale? Can you be specific? How am I supposed to know when tickets go on sale?

Any tips and insights?

I really want to come.
    Nobody can be specific because nobody knows. In general it's about a month after Prime ends, but that's not in stone. It gets posted on the official pax twitter and on these forums right when they go live.

Also there was a ton of discussion about that topic on this page alone.

zerzhul on
  • zalantzalant Daytona Beach, FloridaRegistered User new member
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Nobody can be specific because nobody knows. In general it's about a month after Prime ends, but that's not in stone. It gets posted on the official pax twitter and on these forums right when they go live.

Also there was a ton of discussion about that topic on this page alone.

Okay thanks. I guess I should get on Twitter then.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    @zalant Also check the PAX East site once Prime ends... religiously. What we do is have a buddy system, where the 3 of us constantly check the site; one of us is practically guaranteed to find out when tickets go on sale as soon as they mention it. It's worked for us so far.

If 3-day passes sell out, the first single-day pass to sell out is Saturday, then Friday, then Sunday. I see a lot of people who buy 3 single-day passes. If you are unsure you can fork out the cash for 3 single day passes, but you know you want to go and might be able to afford them at different time intervals, buy the Saturday first, then Friday, then Sunday. If I remember correctly, the 3-days passes sold out within a day, Saturday sold out in 3-4 days, Friday in a week or so, Sunday took a bit longer. Someone made a good chart for that somewhere, but I cannot recall whom or where.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've been to (2) PAX Easts and live in Boston and honestly the best thing I changed from year one to year two was not to worry about getting into panels. Instead, worry about checking out booths, playing games, and god - the tabletop section? I had never seen such beauty.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    What is the price for a single day ticket. If I was to buy three single day tickets would it cost me more then buying the 3 day ticket or is it the same. Anyone know how much more it would be. Obviously you shoot for the 3 day pass but if they sell out quick like they did last year just wondering how much more it would run me to get a single day ticket for each day.

All 3 single days will cost more than a 3-day. Last year the single days were $35 each and the 3-day was $70 I believe.

so about 35 more not horrible was figuring would have been around 20.00 more so i could live with 35 if worse came to worse

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I expect multi day discounts to go away. I asked about it in another thread after the sellout of PAX Prime 2013 passes. Mr. Khoo said that it was something that will be considered in the future (if my memory serves me correctly). Obviously that's no confirmation, but it stands to reason that demand for multi day passes wouldn't really change even if the discount went bye bye.

Dont make sense to me why the discount would go away there has always been discounts when you buy more of something you get a better price

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    Dont make sense to me why the discount would go away there has always been discounts when you buy more of something you get a better price

Based only on the public comments I remember hearing, it is my understanding that the organizers want to encourage people to get multidays only if they are going to be there every day. When the badges are discounted, it leads to "well, i think i might show up on that day for a little while, so ill just go ahead and get the 3day instead."

7B14287.png
  • KalSpiroKalSpiro Registered User new member
    Useful equipment for surviving the PAX. After three years worth of PAXe weekends, these are the essential tools I've come to rely on for my event partakingness.

To protect your legs and feet from the terrible stress of standing in one place for extend periods only to move a foot forward and repeat, stay seated. I recommend: A Small Folding Stool. It is small and folds up, plus it has an arm strap and is cheap. They're not the easiest thing to find in person, but there are a handful of locations online to pick on up.

To protect your mind and body from all the exertions of existence, stay hydrated. I recommend: The Hydration Backpack. It is effectively a two liter bladder than you can fill with just about anything and carry on your back, with a hose to drink from. This one is the most simple. Typically they come with actual storage space for things beside the bladder at well. The more extra things they have the more expensive it gets, but they should be readily available in the outdoor section of your local walmart.

To protect your phone from all the roaming and app use you will invariably partake of, stay charged. I recommend: iGeek Large Capacity Portable Charger. It is only a couple inches to a side but holds many hours worth of charge. Just make sure to charge it back up over night. This is the most expensive tool for your conventioning, but is very worth it if you plan to be there the entire day each day and don't want to have to keep stopping by an outlet somewhere to recharge.

• KalSpiroKalSpiro Registered User new member
    edited August 2013
    double post

KalSpiro on
    That's some solid advice, but please keep this for Q&A.

• EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    Went ahead and booked a room at the Renaissance just in case. Normally stay at the Seaport (its amazing), but they don't seem to have availability for that period in 2014.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
    EscoBlades wrote: »
    Went ahead and booked a room at the Renaissance just in case. Normally stay at the Seaport (its amazing), but they don't seem to have availability for that period in 2014.
    Those rooms are all likely blocked out by PAX already.

so pax has already blocked out rooms for us just has not opened them to be reserved yet.

Yes.

• dubljaydubljay Registered User new member
    Boston is an awesome city, I plan on going for 1 day and taking my son and trying to get in as much as possible, the other 2 days we are going to take in the sites on Boston, there's a lot of sites to visit and things to do, there is also a tour bus that runs continually all day long where you can get off at sites and get back on to take you to another site on the route every 20 mins. http://bostonsupertours.com/upper-deck-trolley-tours/ & http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

• aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    Is there any way to get on a mailing list so that when tickets go on sale I don't miss the announcement?

PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
    Nope, there is no such mailing list. The only way to be notified is to follow http://twitter.com/official_pax

• ledberg42ledberg42 Registered User new member
    Has anyone ever tried reserving one of the closer PAX hotels in advance of the room release, then calling after room release to change the room rate to the PAX rate?

They generally do not do that. The PAX rate is specifically negotiated with the 3rd party provider (OnPeak) and thus that provider is supposed to be the only one that can offer that rate. Not saying it's impossible, but it's unlikely.