As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rocksmith 2014 out in October Allegedly! Bass expansion now just $10 on all systems!

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    yeah I don't think it ever actually happened. I too have been playing guitar for like 10 years, I can't believe anyone would be bored to tears having to play one note at a time for a grand total of like 30 minutes. The unskippable "this is how to breath AND not drown in your own drool" tutorial sure, but once you get into the game it accelerates nicely.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    yeah I don't think it ever actually happened. I too have been playing guitar for like 10 years, I can't believe anyone would be bored to tears having to play one note at a time for a grand total of like 30 minutes. The unskippable "this is how to breath AND not drown in your own drool" tutorial sure, but once you get into the game it accelerates nicely.

I agree. Been playing for probably closer to 20 years (damn I feel old now) and while the initial playing of Satisfaction was painfully dull, I was able to accelerate the difficulty of most everything else rather quickly.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    For me personally it was more a WTF just happened? Really? FUUUUUUUCK!!! X(.

The awesome thing about this game though is you can do whatever you want in between notes. I would find myself regularly either playing what I knew was there, or improvising. That was probably my favorite part of playing actually :D

They might not have patched in the start at highest difficulty, but I believe they made it so you can progress faster to unlock it.

• Options
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    Is there a way to force the game to a harder difficulty setting? I've played guitar for 10 years and am getting bored to tears playing one note at a time. Also, I'd love a free play area where you can just play around with different guitar/amp/effect combos.

Just checked in game. Hit x (on the 360) to enter amp mode and free play.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Aaah wanna pick up some more DLC but I'm pretty poor. Already have A7X, Megadeth, The Final Countdown and Bohemian Rhapsody courtesy of the best Secret Santa ever, gonna grab Redneck by Lamb of God today, any other must have stuff? :D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    So I'm thinking about picking this up after watching quite a few videos online. How often do they put DLC out ? Does ever song has it's own difficulty ? I mean does it start every song on an easier level and just increase it after each time I play it ?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Jurgen_ wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about picking this up after watching quite a few videos online. How often do they put DLC out ? Does ever song has it's own difficulty ? I mean does it start every song on an easier level and just increase it after each time I play it ?

It'll actually increase the difficulty while you play it, starting at a base difficulty for that song. The songs are broken up into sections like chorus A, fill B, etc. If you ace a section it'll move you up to the next difficulty for that section and any sections that use the same pattern within that song. It seems like if you have enough songs aced it'll start you on new songs you haven't played yet at a slightly higher difficulty, but generally each song keeps its difficulty independent from others so that acing a bunch of easy songs wont start you out at the highest difficulty of Painkiller or some other heavy metal biddly diddly song.

• Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    Jurgen_ wrote: »

It'll actually increase the difficulty while you play it, starting at a base difficulty for that song. The songs are broken up into sections like chorus A, fill B, etc. If you ace a section it'll move you up to the next difficulty for that section and any sections that use the same pattern within that song. It seems like if you have enough songs aced it'll start you on new songs you haven't played yet at a slightly higher difficulty, but generally each song keeps its difficulty independent from others so that acing a bunch of easy songs wont start you out at the highest difficulty of Painkiller or some other heavy metal biddly diddly song.

Sounds good to me, gonna have to pick this up from my next pay. Maybe it'll make me pick up my guitars more often. Thanks for the info !

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Any can't miss DLC recommendations? Picked up Jessica and Black, love the songs, but Feinstein need to unlock more of the chart to make them interesting *edit* Jessica is starting to be pretty fun. Unsure on how I like black though. I enjoy it because I love the song, but not sure how fun it is to play.

Double edit
    If you haven't picked up the Christmas pack while it's free / available do so. The Christmas carol song or whatever is awesome.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    OK, so... put a bit more time in between studying for real life stuff and I am not a fan of practice mode.

Accelerator especially is good in theory, but in practice it's just impossible to practice properly with it; if you miss something in a note intensive section (ie; something I might be practicing) then it becomes a game of trying to escape the frozen recovery section which I find nigh impossible. It can even be difficult to figure out what you need to play to escape the freeze, as oftentimes the one you missed is no longer indicated on the highway.

Mastery is better - it lets you focus on a section and add notes to it, but why the lives mechanic? I can kinda see where they're coming from, trying to prevent you from becoming too frustrated or something playing the same thing over, but hey if I need to practice this section I'd rather do it without reloading. I would also have appreciated a prompt to progress to the next level or continue practicing at this one, as just because I fluke my way through the section doesn't mean I'm ready for the next.

In the Guitarcade side of practice, I do love Ducks, Fret Runner and Quick Pick Dash. I suck at chord knowledge so Chord of the Undead isn't too fun right now (but good practice I guess ;D) - my only complaint is the baseball one. I don't get it, at all. I try and hit it on the 4th boop? But it seems totally random whether I'll successfully hit or not.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Yeah, the string-bending minigame is broken garbage. I have a surprising amount of trouble with Fret Runner -- I actually wish it used the same highway as the regular game so I could train up my Rocksmith sight-reading. I agree about the practice modes not being all they're cracked up to be, especially on the fast runs, or bits with odd timing or syncopation. (In fact, that's also true in the regular performance mode -- if I don't already know the riff, the highway doesn't give a good sense of timing.) Still, I'm continuing to have fun with it and picked up a bunch of DLC on the Steam sale.

• Options
    yeah practice mode makes me tear my hair out by about the third pause+rewind.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    holy balls it's a lot harder to do the songs on master mode! I do look at the notes quite a lot so not having them there seems strange and it just randomly threw plug in baby master version at me after doing well. I totally wasn't ready for it! well played Rocksmith, well played

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Woah, Cliffs of Dover is up!! He'll yeah going to fail like a beast!

On that note, Painkiller is feckin hilarious!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    I decided the game was too easy and downloaded Hangar 18, Pantera pack, and Cliffs of Dover.

Problem solved.

What amused me was how some on disc songs were kicking my ass. I've been playing for 17 years and Rebel Rebel took many attempts due to the endurance required to play the same riff perfectly over and over and over....

Also, the little flourish at the end of each line in the verses of the Strokes song gets me every time. I intensely dislike the Strokes, so having them be my nemesis is somewhat fitting.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    I love Hangar 18, but there are sections where I see the chart and my fingers just go "NOPE!" flip a table and walk away.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I love Hangar 18, but there are sections where I see the chart and my fingers just go "NOPE!" flip a table and walk away.

Yeah, must be the Friedman sections, because I can rock the shit out of Mustaine's leads, because they're pretty much straight pentatonic and if you can get them up to speed they're no sweat. Then Marty chimes in and uses these awkward shapes and bizzaro scales and my brain yells at the screen "Fuck You!!!" and my fretting hand shuts down.

Have yet to get Cliffs of Dover, it's next on my DLC list. I'm optimistic I can eventually get it down, as I can do an okay rendition of Johnson's SRV, but we'll have to wait and see.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    So, Rocksmith 2014 now has a 'session' mode:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqhrLdk3TI
    also trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BON56qblcU

out in October!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Shit, I've been looking for this thread and unable to find it for awhile.

I'm really struggling as a new guitarist anytime Rocksmith throws a chord or something at me that I've never played before. It took me hours to notice the spaces where strings in the middle of a chord were supposed to be muted.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    On the one hand, yay, more songs!

On the other, don't want to get Guitar Hero fatigued. Here's hoping they follow Rock Band library logic, have every track carry forward forever.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I'm still hoping (in vain, no doubt) for actual fret numbers on the runway instead of just colored blocks, and a better way to show the actual timing, especially for fast runs or anything with syncopation.

• Options
    JOE_1967 wrote: »
    I'm still hoping (in vain, no doubt) for actual fret numbers on the runway instead of just colored blocks, and a better way to show the actual timing, especially for fast runs or anything with syncopation.

I would really, really like this. Or an easier way to deconstruct a chord/riff when it comes on screen by pausing and interacting with it. Quite often something comes up and I can't figure out what it's supposed to be before it's too late to play it. The practice tools Rocksmith has don't help in figuring out fingerings if you can't read their notation.

• Options
    Also: The ability to listen to the track with the guitar part pulled up front without actually trying to play along.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Hello my friends! I've been playing a bit of Rocksmith and enjoying myself. I'll go back and read the thread but wanted to bookmark and say hi before hand.

ALSO.. a big fucking ALSO - I was playing with my G930's(USB) and having a hell of a time when things were getting faster and more notes on screen. It was really pissing me off so I finally just enabled my Onboard Audio and was able to tweak my INI down to 1, 150 for delay, as opposed to 2, 780 with my USB headset. I've only tried it out once since then cuz I need a headset to not annoy the roommates now, but it was already making a difference in my playing.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options

This so much.. there are times that notes are coming down the 4th fret and I'm seeing the big 3 up there and in my haste I'm playing the wrong notes.

And TIMING - there is shit all for Rhythm teaching so far that I've seen. Yeah I know that once you've been playing a few years it's easy to pick up by listening, but I'm not there yet and it annoys me that I'm not leveling up a section due to my shitty strumming due to not knowing exactly what their looking for. Case in point, and help me out if you can, the Power Chord Technique is my nemesis for this. For the longest time I couldn't break Bronze even though I was hitting every chord perfectly. Then I realized they wanted some kind of strumming and I was able to Bronze it, but not get much higher.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Completely random kvetch. I hate the opening harmonic riff in Red Barchetta by Rush. Yes, it's really simple but when the song starts it's so quiet, and there's no drums or bass or anything to give timing, that I have a really hard time actually playing it correctly. During the reprise sections later in the song or during the outro it's fine because I can get the timing from the other instruments, but would it be too much to ask for a click track or something during the intro?

Also: Performing first-time setup. Step 20 of 106. Really, Steam? Really?

• Options
    StorkStork Registered User regular
    For folks that have played both the PC and PS3 versions I have a question: is the PC version a lot faster when switching between menus and whatnot? The PS3 version drives me fucking insane with all of the slow movement and disk reads during menus.

• Options
    Has it been mentioned if they will import songs from Rocksmith to Rocksmith 2014? Cuz I'm wondering whether it's worth it to buy some songs for Rocksmith with Rocksmith 2014 coming up.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Stork wrote: »
    For folks that have played both the PC and PS3 versions I have a question: is the PC version a lot faster when switching between menus and whatnot? The PS3 version drives me fucking insane with all of the slow movement and disk reads during menus.

Yes, the PC version is much faster at loading.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Has it been mentioned if they will import songs from Rocksmith to Rocksmith 2014? Cuz I'm wondering whether it's worth it to buy some songs for Rocksmith with Rocksmith 2014 coming up.

All DLC will carry over.

• Options
    Ov3rcharge wrote: »
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

All DLC will carry over.

Thanks! Now I can buy more songs I can't possibly play at my current skill level!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The way I typically learn a new song on guitar follows a pretty predictable pattern:

A) Learn the basic chords and song structure by playing... basic chords, and singing to those.

B) Learn any guitar parts that are not immediately reproducible by way of their simplicity. Usually done by playing the part, stopping the track, trying to do it on my own until I think I've got it, playing the track back while I play along, and fixing anything that sounds wrong.

C) Play the whole thing repeatedly until second nature

It would be really cool if Rocksmith 2014 allowed this learning method. Before even starting a song you should have the option to learn any weird chords in it before they're flying at your face, and tough sections of the song should be isolated and allow you to practice them over and over before jumping into the song proper.

If this could happen, it might take away some of that pressure that you feel when you have to perform a song from start to finish.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    So yeah, the base game and DLC are part of the steam sale for us PC folk. Think I'm going to wait to see if the game possibly shows up as a daily or in a flash sale but if not, nab that DLC on the last day.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Heads up!!!

Rocksmith Bass expansion is now $10 for all systems! It is great. It is a whole new game. I am loving it.

$10 is a STEAL.

That is all.

(You can play the bass expansion with a guitar, despite what it says. It says right on the selection screen "YOU NEED A BASS", but the second you hit bass it asks if you want to "emulate bass" on your guitar. Having a REAL bass is WAY, WAY more fun, and you actually learn stuff. But it is do-able without it.)

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Heads up!!!

Rocksmith Bass expansion is now $10 for all systems! It is great. It is a whole new game. I am loving it.

$10 is a STEAL.

That is all.

(You can play the bass expansion with a guitar, despite what it says. It says right on the selection screen "YOU NEED A BASS", but the second you hit bass it asks if you want to "emulate bass" on your guitar. Having a REAL bass is WAY, WAY more fun, and you actually learn stuff. But it is do-able without it.)

But I like wailing on a bass in the manner of a guy that just wasn't cut out for lead guitar work, aka the Geezer Butler school.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Heads up!!!

$10 is a STEAL.

That is all.

But I like wailing on a bass in the manner of a guy that just wasn't cut out for lead guitar work, aka the Geezer Butler school.

Then its perfect for you. Because Rocksmith doesn't penalize you in between notes. So hit the notes, then wail away.

For example, every song I play has a slap bass solo somewhere. You just have to find the spot. The slappadabass.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    thanks for the heads up; thread title updated.

• Options
    I have to say that what they've shown so far for 2014 makes me happy -- mostly that they're actually putting fret numbers on the blocks in the highway. And I'm glad they're including R.E.M. but I wish they would've chosen something a bit more interesting than Losing My Religion -- Can't Get There from Here, say, or just about anything from Chronic Town or Murmur.

• Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    I have to say that what they've shown so far for 2014 makes me happy -- mostly that they're actually putting fret numbers on the blocks in the highway. And I'm glad they're including R.E.M. but I wish they would've chosen something a bit more interesting than Losing My Religion -- Can't Get There from Here, say, or just about anything from Chronic Town or Murmur.

I've got a mandolin with an integrated pick-up. Do you think they'll include the mandolin bits of Losing My Religion properly mapped to my instrument?

Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    I'm still having pretty frequent problems with the PC version of this. I have it on PC and 360, but prefer 360 because DLC and load times. However, with some frequency the system recognizes the cable, but won't recognize the guitar input, so Rocksmith declares I don't have a guitar plugged in. This'll happen mid song and is pretty disheartening when I'm trying to struggle my way through a tough song.