As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Advice from the locals! (Important links for weather warnings inside)

VerminVermin MelbourneRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in PAX Australia
Wow! A forum that has replies in it! I thought they were extinct.

Hi, I'm Vermin. As you can see by the icon thingy, I am new to this forum. I'm also a local Melbournian who has attended Manifest and Supanova, a couple of local anime and pop culture conventions, at the Melbourne Showgrounds since both events began hosting there. That's where the thread comes in; a bit of loacl knowledge on what to expect. Other Aussies, feel free to chime in more info, I can edit important stuff in. I realise this is probably a very late posting, but hopefully it will still be of help to anyone from overseas or interstate.

Keep in mind though, as someone who has never yet been overseas, this is my first PAX. I can't even comprehend how big some of the cons in the US are!

First, let me note. Melbourne may or may not have a dropbear problem, bird-eating killer spiders, killer surf, or a hipster infestation. That is all for you to discover! It definitely does, however, live up to its reputation of having at least five different seasons per day. Occasionally, we have a spell of consistent weather; lately, the weather has been particularly predictable. But as anyone who lives in Melbourne knows, this can only mean the gods of wind and sleet are rallying their forces for an onslaught of epic proportions. And hence, let me link this terrifying page.

Don't be fooled by the word "possible"; that just means the Bureau have no idea where exactly it will rain/sleet/wind/hail/thunder/lightning. Best bet with Melbourne weather is to prepare for all "possible" conditions, and 80% of the time you'll be right to have. I also mentioned in another thread the importance of dressing in layers. The expo hall will be a humid place, especially if it does rain. You're going to want to be able to shed a few layers quickly, then on return throw everything back on again as fast as possible. Umbrellas are not recommended, in the windy conditions forecast it wouldn't survive long anyway.

Also, keep in mind that hail possibility; most hail I have seen in my lifetime had been relatively small, but that is because I have been lucky enough to miss the several occasions where golf balls made of ice pelted the land and wrote off thousands of cars. On that note, showgrounds car parking is not under cover. Take care that you can afford the risk of hail damage if you're driving in. Special note for hired vehicles, rentals are often not covered for overhead damage so if you've rented for the weekend and are parking at PAX, call your provider to check their coverage beforehand, just in case.

Edit: This page has all current warnings for the area. As you can see, weather is already building up and expected to hit Thursday evening and continue with wind and storms throughout the weekend. (Melbourne and the Showgrounds are part of the "Central" warning area)

And while on the topic of car parking, get there very early. Supanova used the same parking area this year, and it was full between 11am and midday. The lineup on Langs Road will alert you. Keep in mind that PAX is significantly larger, and I am personally estimating it will reach capacity by 9am. If at all possible, come from the city by train, but again this will be best earlier on in the morning. I looked at Metro's timetable and it is not entirely what I would think is needed; I could be wrong there. Also advice on trams: They're highly unpleasant to stand on in wet weather when very full. The train is the quicker option of the two, as well. An alternate method, perhaps, could be to catch the bus to Moonee Ponds and catch the Craigieburn line train from there. Both trams and trains will be filled to capacity at times.

On the topic of public transport: Myki.... GIANT SIGH
No one here likes it. We all know it's dumb. Why would you want to spend $6 on one of our "smart" tickets that doesn't even work a lot of the time? Unfortunately since they have now culled the reliable old Metcards we all used to know and love, you're stuck with them, as are we. There's info centers in Flinders Street and Southern Cross stations that are best if you have no idea what to do with them. Don't worry, you're not alone, 80% of the population of Victoria still don't either.

Now, on to the Showgrounds. They're about ten minutes by direct train, and twenty by tram from the CBD. They're pretty isolated, apart from a Coles (one of our two major supermarket chains) and a little center with a pharmacy, $2 shop and a few fish-and-chips and souvlaki type food outlets. The Coles is probably the thing to note here; it will be significantly cheaper to buy drinks and snacks, and potentially meals, from there if you're on a budget. It will also save you having to lug a whole amount of food and drink around with you, as the center is literally 2 minutes walk from Gate 1 (the Expo Hall end).

Inside the showgrounds, there is usually a lot of open space between buildings at conventions here. But having done a reccy on my way home from work a few times, I have one word: Marquees. There is more canvas there than a painting convention. I suspect this will be good should it bucket rain, however given the accompanying wind there could be issues.

There is a lot of open space; I'd estimate that from Gate 1 to the PC area is a 5 minute walk, if walking briskly. As you won't be due to the marquee maze, expect to be walking around a lot if you plan on moving between events a lot!

It depends whether you park, train or tram in as to how far you have to walk. The train station exits literally at the back of the queue room. The tram dumps you on Epsom Road in front of Gate 1, and the car park is pot luck but it is a fair hike over to the queuing area. 5-10 minutes at a guess.

There are two ATMs that I am aware of, but they always run out at our local cons; I can only imagine how fast PAX will drain them. Some of our local conventions have sometimes hired in portable ATMs, and there's also the option of going to the Coles complex next door if you need cash, there's 3 or 4 in there. Toilets are unfortunately a similar story; I have no idea if PAX will bring in portaloos to supplant the meagre existing facilities, but I sure hope so!

Anyway that is all I can think of for now! I will add to it later!

as predictable as melbourne weather
Vermin on

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know if the Racecourse / Flemington stations are going to be open? I'm sure walking from Newmarket wouldn't be a major hassle in any case; I actually live only 2 stops down the line so I could almost walk the whole way!

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Can anyone provide a little guidance on this mythical 'direct train' from the CBD to the showgrounds? The nice people at the visitor's info center recommended taking the E-57 tram, but I'd rather save time, if possible.

26904.png
  • Options
    feralmasterferalmaster melbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Heres some info on trains

http://www.metrotrains.com.au/extra-service/2013/jul/16/extra-services-pax-gaming-convention

Extra services for the

PAX gaming convention

Affected Network Lines:

Information
    PAX Gaming Convention
    Friday 19 July – Sunday 21 July
    The Showgrounds

We’re running extra trains to get you to and from PAX at The Showgrounds this weekend.

Friday 19 July

To the Showgrounds

Services will depart Flinders St (platform 9) and stop only at Southern Cross (platform 14) North Melbourne (platform 6) and then run express to The Showgrounds.

On Friday services will depart Flinders Street every:
    - 20 minutes between 7:55am and 10:38am.
    Final services to The Showgrounds will depart Flinders Street at 11:16am and then 11:56am.

From the Showgrounds

Services will depart from The Showgrounds stopping at North Melbourne, Southern Cross and Flinders Street only.

On Friday services will depart The Showgrounds every:
    - 40 minutes between 6:15pm and 10:00pm
    - 20 minutes between 10:00pm and 11:00pm
    - 10 minutes between 11:00pm and 12:00am

Saturday 20 July

To the Showgrounds

Services will depart Flinders St (platform 9) and stop only at Southern Cross (platform 14) and North Melbourne (platform 6) then run express to The Showgrounds.

On Saturday services will depart Flinders Street every:
    - 20 minutes between 8:00am and 12:40pm.

From the Showgrounds
    Services will depart from The Showgrounds stopping at North Melbourne, Southern Cross and Flinders Street only.

On Saturday services will depart The Showgrounds every:
    - 40 minutes between 3:20pm and 9:40pm
    - 20 minutes between 9:40pm and 11:00pm
    - 10 minutes between 11:00pm and 11:50pm

Sunday 21 July

To the Showgrounds

Services will depart Flinders St (platform 9) and stop only at Southern Cross (platform 14) and North Melbourne (platform 6) then run express to The Showgrounds.

On Sunday services will depart Flinders Street every:
    - 20 minutes between 8:00am and 10:40am
    - 40 minutes between 10:40am and 12:00pm

From the Showgrounds

On Sunday services will depart The Showgrounds every:
    - 10 minutes between 5:00pm and 7:00pm

For more information on services to and from Flemington contact Public Transport Victoria (PTV) on 1800 800 007.

feralmaster on
    posted by a carbon flavoured beer based life form
  • Options
    Squire_PugSquire_Pug Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Direct Train is On!

Catch from Flinders St and Southern Cross Stations

They are generally on the far platforms though. Ask a gate guard and he can direct you.

This will literally drop you at Pax's backdoor.

See here for fine details:
    http://ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/events/public-transport-for-pax-australia-at-the-showgrounds-friday-19-july-sunday-21-july-2013/

Squire_Pug on
  • Options
    VerminVermin MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Yes, showgrounds trains are only run during events, and they will in fact start at Flinders St, stopping at Southern Cross and North Melbourne before termination at the Showgrounds station. That means they express Kensington and Newmarket stations. They won't go as far as the Flemington Racecourse station though, sorry.

As for platforms, they tend to run from one of the least used platforms, look for trains marked "Special" with stops listed as above at the stations. metro staff should be able to help otherwise.

The walk from Newmarket takes about 15 minutes, yeah. It's not too bad a walk!

Vermin on
    as predictable as melbourne weather