As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

embedded youtube no longer works after upgrade to IE10.

Ever since I upgraded to IE10 Youtube videos embedded into posts no longer work, I just see an outline like you would see with a broken image. The videos work if I go to youtube directly, and my flash is up to date and works anywhere else.

I've gone through my settings thinking it might be something local but I can't find it if it is.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Have you tried switching the page to compatibility mode? On IE10, you need to press F12 to bring up the developer console, and from there set the compatibility mode - it is no longer in any of the main menus.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Have you tried switching the page to compatibility mode? On IE10, you need to press F12 to bring up the developer console, and from there set the compatibility mode - it is no longer in any of the main menus.

Yep compatibility view doesn't fix it.

• Options
    After days of internet searching, I think I stumbled upon the right word soup that has given a hint to the problem.

Apparently, if what I read is correct, IE10 has some sort of internal whitelist of sites from microsoft that are allowed to run flash. Which is why videos work on youtube, but don't work when they are embedded on the forums, because penny-arcade.com is not on this whitelist.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    hm
    pulled up IE10 real quick because I was curious

and it's working fine because it's using the html5 player for me

Not sure why it isn't using it for you if the flash player is a problem in IE10, but you might be able to get it to use it by joining the html5 trial.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know if its related, but I just noticed that emoticons don't load for me either.

@End searching indicates IE10 has an internal whitelist of sites approved to run flash, and sites that are not on the white list cant have flash run on them, still trying to figure out how to edit that whitelist.. everything I've tried has failed.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    yeah, but I'm saying you might be able to just not worry about flash, since youtube's html5 player doesn't use flash at all (which is the point of it), and embedded videos on this forums are apparently capable of using the html5 player (it looks like it just embeds an iframe and youtube fills it in with either the flash player or html5 player depending).

When I tested IE10 real quickly on the forums, it didn't even try to use flash. What this says to me is that normally youtube would use the html5 player on IE10, but something is confusing it (compatibility mode maybe?). Since I don't have any better ideas, all I can think to make it work would be to enter the html5 trial so that it defaults to it despite any browser sniffing.

End on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    That would require getting a google account, and unblocking its cookies, while I appreciate the information that's not a path I wish to go down, even if it means going without.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    well
    I don't think my suggestion would have worked anyway

if it thinks it can't use the html5 player, it won't use it

Compatibility mode does force it to (try to) use the flash player, but if you didn't have that on in the first place, something else would be triggering it and I don't know why.

I don't know how the whitelist is configured, and it sounds like maybe you don't get to touch it. The closest thing I found was to request activex access, but that sounds wrong. The whitelist sounds like it's a Windows 8 thing anyway, so that's not even something I could test.

• Options
    oh! It wasn't using flash for because I didn't have it installed for IE

If you don't need flash for anything else, I guess you could try uninstalling it so that it falls back to the html5 player. But, even the flash player is working embedded for me in IE10.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Well, its not the problem I thought it was.

I uninstalled flash so it'd us the html5 player automatically, and that didn't work.

What did work was running IE10 as an admin, suddenly every embedded video worked fine. I'm at a loss now, Flash works fine on many sites regularly, but other sites like the forums here, apparently the embedded videos will only work if the browser is run as admin.

I guess this is less of a site issue now and more of a personal problem, so this can be closed.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    lostlinklostlink Registered User new member
    Hello,
    I was having problems with seeing embedded videos (youtube) on different forum boards with my new laptop (win7, IE10). While searching I found this thread. Everything mentioned did not work, but I did find a solution that my be helpful to others...............

•Turn off hardware acceleration. To turn off hardware acceleration, open Internet Explorer for the desktop, click the Tools button, and then click Internet options. Click the Advanced tab, select Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering, and then click OK. You must close and reopen Internet Explorer for changes to take effect.

Hope this helps..........