As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Defiance] Let's shoot/kill some bugs

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    is there a good way to get more mods for guns? I found the vendor who sells various level 1 mods, but the only drops I seem to get are for detonators and infectors and such, never anything for SMG/AR/LMG. There's also no way to remove mods piecemeal, right? Do people just wait to have a full suite to upgrade their guns?

Do side missions. The vast majority of them award a random mod. I've accumulated a stockpile of shitty level 2 mods this way, but every once in a while you get something useful. I vendor or break down the mods for weapons I dislike (I'm looking at you, rocket launchers) and just stockpile the rest.

Beyond that it looks like you can do these reputation tasks and then buy the mod caches from the reputation vendors. I haven't really wrapped my head around the reputation system as of yet.

I wouldn't necessarily wait until you have a full suite of mods, however if you have a favorite weapon which you plan to keep resetting and using, I would only put good mods in it (even if that means leaving mod slots open while you wait) vice loading a shitty mod in and then having to pay a asston of salvage to pull 3-4 mods out of the weapon later just to avoid losing the one good mod that was in it along with 3 trashy mods.

Disposable weapons which you plan to vendor or breakdown after you level them up are a perfect receptacle for rank one mods.

I have yet to have a positive experience adding a scope to any gun. Be warned. They are glitchy and seem to basically lower accuracy. I leave that slot open.

I would not pay salvage to add mod slots to a weapon unless it is a favorite which you plan to use forever.

And a "lessons learned" note which I came to realize tonight:

You do not accumulate any weapon experience during arkfalls, but your weapons do level, and doing a lot of arkfalls will rapidly max out a weapon without leveling your skill up one bit.

It is probably a good idea to let your favorite arkfall weapons max out and then leave them maxed and equipped in a load-out which you switch to just for ark hunting. I don't even want to think about how much salvage I wasted doing hours of ark hunting and dutifully resetting my favorite rifle over and over again without realizing it wasn't helping me level my AR skill. And lets not even mention the many, many arkfalls which I did with less-used, less-loved weapon types thinking I was working on skills.

No, no, I was just punishing myself with crap weapons for no reason.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    So I picked this up for myself and a friend in the recent daily. I know almost nothing about it, but the gameplay videos I watched look quite good. I have a quick question though: how easy/profitable is it to play with someone a higher/lower level than you? Is there any kind of downscaling or upscaling? Does level even make that big of a difference?

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    So I picked this up for myself and a friend in the recent daily. I know almost nothing about it, but the gameplay videos I watched look quite good. I have a quick question though: how easy/profitable is it to play with someone a higher/lower level than you? Is there any kind of downscaling or upscaling? Does level even make that big of a difference?

They did a very smart thing with the leveling system in that it really isn't that huge of a difference between one set of numbers and another aside from how many perks you have to choose from. Sure a person with higher ego will have better stuff but it's not so much so that players can't play together.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Entaru wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »

They did a very smart thing with the leveling system in that it really isn't that huge of a difference between one set of numbers and another aside from how many perks you have to choose from. Sure a person with higher ego will have better stuff but it's no so much so that players can't play together.

Excellent. Exactly what I wanted to hear, and a system I wish more MMOs would adopt. Thanks. Is there any particular server PA people are congregating on?

Everyone is on the same server afaik.

Oh, good. Thanks.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    who has invites for the clan? I forget

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I do, friend me on steam or message me here. We both have to be online at the same time. I'm also Corrigan in game.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I do, friend me on steam and message me here. We both have to be online at the same time. I'm also Corrigan in game.
    I'll have to hit you up some time today.

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    w00t! Finished Replay One Mastery and hit 2000 both at the same time!

Just need to finish up the remaining things for Stout Tactics and I'll be good.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    How do I find PA/Clan-ers when I'm in the game?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited July 2013
    I'm a little disheartened by how many of the pursuits include driving shit (particularly the silver/gold level wins in the race challenges). I am fairly weak driver and those challenges are just beyond my reach.

-edit-

Also the ones where you need to res hundreds of people during major arkfalls. Newsflash, Trion, your arkfalls aint that hard, people rarely die.

Regina Fong on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I was thinking about going back and watching the show since I've been playing. They didn't try very hard to give me a single likeable character, though, did they? I don't think I could stand to watch the two main characters in a show, considering what assholes they are, and how poorly written all of their dialogue is.

What is this I don't even.
    Also the ones where you need to res hundreds of people during major arkfalls. Newsflash, Trion, your arkfalls aint that hard, people rarely die.

The rez ones are generally cheesed. Sad, but true.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I was thinking about going back and watching the show since I've been playing. They didn't try very hard to give me a single likeable character, though, did they? I don't think I could stand to watch the two main characters in a show, considering what assholes they are, and how poorly written all of their dialogue is.

The fact everyone is a massive asshole at some point was really neat to me.

A tradition they continue with the two people I've seen in game cinematics/missions too.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Nobody on the show is a likeable character. And I am fine with that.

I guess Tommy could be, but he's more forgettable than anything.

Thats kind of a big point of most westerns right? Everyones an asshole, some are more likeable than others, but no one is a good guy. Defiance is definitely a Sci-Fi Western feeling show.

n1woEHJ.png
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Yeah, pretty much. Some characters have a loose moral compass, but in the end, its still about surviving.

Just tried to cross the Golden Gate Bridge... :(

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited July 2013
    Iolo wrote: »
    Just tried to cross the Golden Gate Bridge... :(

Everyone has to experience this as a right of passage.

Just keep playing the missions and the storyline will eventually get rid of the huge death robot.

-edit-

Although San Francisco isn't super exciting. I haven't started on the missions down there yet, but the arkfalls have a lot fewer people. Good if you want to try soloing the occasional minor arkfall, but generally it's more fun up with all the people.

Regina Fong on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    The only thing I dislike about Defiance so far is the "I'm going to kill your group and make you solo these 50 dudes with rocket launchers, k?" missions. Really, fuck those things. But I only have 15 hours in the game and some of those hours have been chasing arkfalls because I ducking loved those in Rift and I love them here too.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    The only thing I dislike about Defiance so far is the "I'm going to kill your group and make you solo these 50 dudes with rocket launchers, k?" missions. Really, fuck those things. But I only have 15 hours in the game and some of those hours have been chasing arkfalls because I ducking loved those in Rift and I love them here too.

Yeah, it's aggravating how often your group will get broken up when running missions together. Similarly, I was looking at the matchmaking a couple of days ago when running with a buddy and it was saying that that was going to break our group too. We didn't end up even trying it then because we had to stop soon anyways, but is there not a way to do co-op maps, pvp, etc, as part of a non-full group?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    Okay, so how do I apply mods to weapons? I can not figure it out for the life of me. Do I need to be an engineer? Do I need to do it at a special workstation? Do only some weapons have slots for mods? It's making me feel like a big dummy. I just want to bump out the clip size of my favorite SMG.

Also, this game perfectly replicates the feeling from Borderlands of finding an SMG or assault rifle with awesome stats (!), equipping it up and running headlong into the nearest arkfall... only to find that it's burst fire. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I really am enjoying this game since I picked it up on the summer sale on steam. Though one thing I find is that the social aspects are very lackluster. I wanna have people to roll with, what do?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited July 2013
    I really am enjoying this game since I picked it up on the summer sale on steam. Though one thing I find is that the social aspects are very lackluster. I wanna have people to roll with, what do?

Catch @CorriganX on Steam and ask for a clan invite.

My husband and I aren't terribly far in but we usually play for an hour or so a night. Except tonight, Mondays are odd for us.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    edited July 2013
    http://guidescroll.com/category/games/defiance/ This should be good for some reading if you're new to Defiance guys. <3

2nd guide is a spoiler for the final boss fight, i suggest not reading that one unless you get stuck at the end of the story.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    http://guidescroll.com/category/games/defiance/ This should be good for some reading if you're new to Defiance guys. <3

2nd guide is a spoiler for the final boss fight, i suggest not reading that one unless you get stuck at the end of the story.

Ahhhhh, you have to unequip the weapon....

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.

Also have to make sure its not equipped in any of your loadouts.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Also have to make sure its not equipped in any of your loadouts.

Thanks for the tips, I came in here to ask this same question.

I need to catch you online at some point Corrigan to join the PA group.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie

Catch @CorriganX on Steam and ask for a clan invite.

My husband and I aren't terribly far in but we usually play for an hour or so a night. Except tonight, Mondays are odd for us.

I have literally never seen anyone speak in clan chat ever.

I've only ever seen at most two people on.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

Catch CorriganX on Steam and ask for a clan invite.

I have literally never seen anyone speak in clan chat ever.

I've only ever seen at most two people on.

I would normally say I'd change that because I ducking babble in chat BUT I'm playing with a controller. I put my laptop on my foot stool so my keyboard is aaaaaall the way over there -> when I'm playing.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Do you guys usually play with headsets/voice enabled?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited July 2013
    Big Dookie wrote: »

For the first few weeks we all played while in a TS server. But since catching people online is so hit and miss I don't think anyone has.

Decoy on
    Decoy wrote: »

For the first few weeks we all played while in a TS server. But since catching people online is so hit and miss I don't think anyone has.

We could but, since it's really just the husband and I, and we're in the same room, we don't. We'd be willing to set up times to play with other people as long as the people we play with are ok with going off to chase arkfalls on the regular.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • cassiusregicidecassiusregicide Registered User regular

I tend to hop into steam voice chat when I play with a friend and then just keep an eye on in-game guild chat if someone is looking for a party.

edited July 2013
    Oh man. hahah.

The game is now permanently $10. I'm glad they waited until after some of us spent $13.50 on it on the steam sale to lower it.

Seidkona on
    Oh man. hahah.

The game is now permanently $10. I'm glad they waited until after some of us spent $13.50 on it on the steam sale to lower it.

I'm like to give them the benefit of the doubt here, but both parties had to be aware of this. Still, lower price should mean more people taking a chance, which'll mean a bit more revenue to hopefully get out some of that Season Pass DLC I so graciously bought months ago. :)

edited July 2013
    Oh man. hahah.

Mother frakker.

Edit: Sorry. STUCCO! Those STUCCO bastards.

Darkewolfe on
    I mean it's only $3.50 but it's more the principle of the thing.