As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Frank's Concept Colosseum

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is the thing on his helmet a trojan style thingy? Because right now it is not aligned properly in perspective and looks like you would be seeing the broad side if you viewed him head on.

Otherwise I rather like it.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Thanks. :)

I'm not sure how accurate GIS is for reference sometimes... I need to make this really accurate too. It's supposed to be a Roman Speculatore.

oh, so its like, one of these things:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Centurion_2_Boulogne_Luc_Viatour.jpg

Im guessing Speculatores and centurions are different?

edited June 2013
    Yeah, Speculatores are scouts I believe. But damn that guys helm (and armor) is epic.

The wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculatores) doesn't have any pictures, I will have to look some more through google.

F87 on
    Pretty much finished now!

Speculatores_WIP3_FW.png

Tried making him look a lot more Roman.

Bro, you Leveled up.

Keep at that art camp, it is Helping.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    This is much more visually interesting than your usual environment work....(and it actually takes a little of the advice I just gave you in the artcamp thread! Go figure :P )...I think the browns and yellow greens in the grassy areas are really helping that area look less flat and more "alive". Good jorb, bro!

• ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    there is a weird tangent between his wrist and the hilt of his sword

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Projeck wrote: »
    there is a weird tangent between his wrist and the hilt of his sword
    That's right Frank, you're shit!
    No seriously though, that's fucking sweet.

• kevindeekevindee Registered User regular
    Frank, left arm's elbow. the elbow turns as the arm does, get on that!

edited June 2013
    Thanks for the feedback @kevindee and @Projeck !

@Nightdragon - Yessssss, I did look at your feedback in the Art camp thread, I am going to keep on this path!

@Iruka - Really nice to hear that from you! : ) : ) : )

also, thanks @M3nace!

You guys are always way too nice and helpful! Just wanted to say thanks.

Despite the tangent and elbow, the client was really happy with it and even bumped up my pay rate! (!?) Now I have two more cards to do, hope I can keep the quality up! Especially since there is a lot to do art camp wise and I'm trying to pump out some personal stuff as well. Here is a character WIP:

cg_max1.png

Oh and some thumbnails I'm working on. I like the top right one the most, I think.

Strategic_Consultation_WIP1_FW.png

F87 on
    Feet and ankles seem a little awkward, but everything else is really cool! Love the face. Very different from your other faces, too.

• MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    I agree with NightDragon, the face looks great and I would love to see it finished. I'm not sure if it's the whole legs portion that's awkward or just the ankles/feet but there's definetly something wrong down there, I also noticed a bit of an issue with the right arm, it seems to be facing forward instead of a bit to the side due to the 3/4th pose of the character. Not sure if that's makes sense but I hope it does.

Have some time, check out my blog
    Yeah, you guys are right. The feet and ankles need to be completely reworked, thanks for pointing that out! :)

More thumbs, this time for a Roman Quarry environment.

Quarry_WIP1_FW.png

• MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    Loving it, personally I like thumb A the best, but I also dig the mountains on thumb D, maybe a mixture of the two?

Have some time, check out my blog
    edited July 2013
    Update on the character from above:

cg_max2.png

I'm still working out his feet (and hands maybe). I've been thinking about other sentient life in the universe lately (also watching lots of space videos). I wonder how rare bipedal movement is? I know there is something to be said about keeping a creature or alien somewhat recognizable in human terms, but does that mean I should keep my extra-terrestrial characters fairly "normal" looking? Is this guy too "human" like?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edit: Oh yeah, here is a sketch of Ohm, the main character. He is sort of an anti-hero with a "lighter shade of gray" morality. I wanted him to be somewhat relatable, yet have room to change as a person. Mainly thanks to Maxivus' (character above) mentoring.

cg_ohm_mc1.png

I also want him to be a lot like Paul Atreides from Dune. Younger, yet raised in a royal family and trained from birth. Also he is from a long line a selective blood-line breeding and bio-engineering procedures.

F87 on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    So much awesome here! I really love this one f.oceansend.com/2013/Speculatores_WIP3_FW.png
    The colors on the skin and cape. But especially the parts of the guy in shade. The colors are so wonderful. Then i drift to the BG then back out. Its doing an awesome job of not letting my eye leave the canvas. LOVE it.

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Crap...now ive been looking at it so long (and ive had a few, and am admittedly an odd fellow) that i want to see this warrior pee off the cliff. But not in like a bad way. Like when i was a kid i there was this fine art drawing of a bagpiper (we're of Scottish decent) In the drawing his back is mostly to us, and he's playing the pipes near a wall. Well, I always thought the guy was peeing. Now i was the only one who saw it like this. Everyone else saw a dude in a man skirt rocking out on the coolest yet harshest instrument ever made. But i knew....i KNEW that guy was relieving him self on that wall. Years passed, i went to college, then a variety of really interesting [shitty] apartments and my parents also moved a few years after. When they did, that drawing showed up again in their new house. I saw it over the Holidays about 3 years ago. I took notice of the drawing, centered above a cute little bookshelf that had a picture of me and my brothers and a beautiful vase full of dead flowers. I chuckled thinking of how i always thought he was peeing as a kid. So i look at it again with fresh eyes; with mature eyes; with the eyes of a man who spent 5 years at art school, and has been featured in a real live gallery or two; the eyes of a man who has fathered a child of his own...

Still looks like he's pissing to me.

Pissing right into the vase with the dead flowers.

See what your painting did? i relived an awesome memory, all because of your beautiful art...and my fucked op brain!!

ahahah wow.... just wow. NakedZergling.... you sir are interesting. Thanks for the kind words and strange story! :)

edited July 2013
    Update on these commissions, I could really use some feedback. Especially on anything sticking out like a sore thumb that I'm just not seeing.

(Edit: Updated below)
    Quarry_WIP3_FW.png

Strategic_Consultation_WIP4_FW.png
    Obviously there is still some cleaning up to do. The quarry needs a lot done, mainly the workers.

F87 on
    the hand on the second one seems really expressionless. It could just as easily be resting as it is pointing. Not necessarily a huge deal, but as a focal point its a little lack luster, theres not much information there. It also seems like hes pointing to the paper and not at the object, so visually its pointing to what I would want the focus point to be, and instead there's just some shadows.

I feel like the angle in the first is off. Like i feel we are looking down too far on the slaves and the blocks. I feel like we either need to see the tops of the armord guys' heads, or see the slaves more along the horizen line.
    I could be totally wrong...anyone else?

Iruka wrote: »
    the hand on the second one seems really expressionless. It could just as easily be resting as it is pointing. Not necessarily a huge deal, but as a focal point its a little lack luster, theres not much information there. It also seems like hes pointing to the paper and not at the object, so visually its pointing to what I would want the focus point to be, and instead there's just some shadows.

This is some awesome feedback. It will add a lot if I can get some expression into the hand. Thanks!
    I feel like the angle in the first is off. Like i feel we are looking down too far on the slaves and the blocks. I feel like we either need to see the tops of the armord guys' heads, or see the slaves more along the horizen line.
    I could be totally wrong...anyone else?

No no no, you are totally right. There is something screwy about the angle or perspective. I'm not comfortable with this sort of shot, but I will try your suggesstions and maybe it will pull together OK!

edited July 2013
    OK, updates!

Quarry_Final1_FW.png

Strategic_Consultation_Final1_FW.png

And starting a new commission:

male_1.png

Any feedback on the anatomy here? (It's supposed to be cut off at the knees)

F87 on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sup frank.

Rome stuff looks sweet. First thing I noticed about the guy on the bottom is that he looks to be falling forward a bit. I think the problem is mostly below the waist. And a nit pick, HIS left hand looks a little small.

Cheers! Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks @Sublimus! Here is the final I sent:

male_7.png

OK guys, I want to present myself more professionally from here on out. I think that mainly includes my resume and website right now. I did a quick mock-up of a clean design with "interesting" thumbnails.

concept.png

What do you guys think? Would something like that look more professional than my current site?

Yeah man, that'd look way better.

edited July 2013
    Very nice! Super tiny suggestion:

For your simpler character designs, maybe zoom the thumbnail out a little bit more? As an example...red-beard guy doesn't have much going on in that thumbnail...it's hard to see what's interesting about him from just that shot.

While I think you're aware of making the thumbnails focus on something "cool" or "interesting" about the piece (if not the piece as a whole), try to be aware of which pieces you're giving the larger thumbnails to. IMO you may want to just try to find a layout that allows you to highlight the best parts of each of your pieces, when possible.

NightDragon on
    edited July 2013
    Dupe'd post!

wakka wakka

NightDragon on
    Thanks, Iruka! I'm really not sure how to get the thumbnails like that. I always used something like lightbox. Will have to do some research.
    Very nice! Super tiny suggestion:

For your simpler character designs, maybe zoom the thumbnail out a little bit more? As an example...red-beard guy doesn't have much going on in that thumbnail...it's hard to see what's interesting about him from just that shot.

While I think you're aware of making the thumbnails focus on something "cool" or "interesting" about the piece (if not the piece as a whole), try to be aware of which pieces you're giving the larger thumbnails to. IMO you may want to just try to find a layout that allows you to highlight the best parts of each of your pieces, when possible.

Right! The bigger thumbnails should go to my best pieces, especially if the composition is similar, that makes perfect sense. Thanks! :)

F87 wrote: »
    Right! The bigger thumbnails should go to my best pieces, especially if the composition is similar, that makes perfect sense. Thanks! :)

Sure :P Just to clarify though, I guess I kinda meant that you could keep the same thumbnail size, but just show more of the piece within that space, if needed. More complex/interesting pieces can definitely take that larger thumbnails, though! I agree. :)

Well, it's going to take some time for me to figure out how I can put that site together. I'm rusty on my HTML/CSS and I barely knew any to begin with.

I did some thumbnails this morning and ended up picking this one, does it look OK to you guys?

cybergen_hanger.png

Its going to cost me a little more a month, but I am looking into a square space site. You might want to check it out and see if they have something to your liking.

That door on the bottom left seems to not be in perspective, but I like the thumbnail overall.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Just a heads up, if you want that kind of layout for your website you should look in to a jquery masonry script like Desandro's Masonry Script or Isotope. With a little bit of fiddling it's not too hard to get them to work with wordpress.

Flay on
    Thumbnails for a "Market" commission:
    market_wip1_FW.png

And the female character to go along with the guy:
    female_character_3_FW.png

Any feedback so far?

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    I envy your perspective skills man. Trying to layout a single one of those thumbs you posted would take me forever (and then still be wrong).

It also looks like you're drawing on some more in depth anatomy knowledge with that female. Lots of subtle stuff that indicates structure that did not used to be present in your female drawings.

All in all, I guess it's just asspats from me today. :D

edited August 2013
    Thank you, @Sublimus! :D

Update on the market and girl:

market_wip2_FW.png

female_character_4_FW.png

Also, FINAL WEEK OF ART CAMP! I think it was pretty awesome and at the very least I stayed busy over the summer.

So, the last assignment is to finish one piece. The space hanger thumbnail above was going to be the one, but I don't like all the open space in it. So I tried some more thumbnails and I'm much happier with this one!

week12_final.png

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

F87 on
    Worked on this some more! I think it's going pretty well, I really want to finish it.

week12_final5.png

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    That latest enviro peice is pretty cool, liking the colors. I think the rider and bike might be a little too desaturated and gray for that palette.

On a more general note, I'd like to see you spend a little study time revisiting head construction.

There's nothing offensively wrong about the way you're constructing heads right now, but I think your faces are often coming out a little bit simplistic (and sometimes a bit boring), like a fingerprint of when your work was decidedly more anime inspired. It's an approach that works well enough for your more lineart focused pieces, but when you push into some of the more painted and rendered work the portraiture starts to seem a bit mask-like and artificial.

If I had to pinpoint the problem, it seems like you're missing a fair bit of nuance in the planes of the face that give a solid feeling of real anatomical structure. If that's too vague, take a look at an Asaro head if you haven't recently. I think it might do you some good to do some studies of the skull, major muscle groups of the face, and even straight up copies of an asaro head. Try doing some paintings of actual people from observation, and character portraits from imagination, focusing on light and planes of the face. There is a lot of character to be found in these seemingly subtle anatomical structures, and it's worth tracking them down I think.

Scosglen on
    edited September 2013
    I haven't been doing studies, like I should. But I have done some more commission work.

K0lcSLO.png

qS02ib8.png

And this one still needs work:

39L7w76.png

Oh, and here is the finished personal piece:

2qSyKiT.png

Edit: Forgot this commission background I've started:

EqCYnWc.png

I really need to get a study routine going now that art camp is over. Now that I'm finishing pieces more, I can really see what I need to improve on.

F87 on