As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STEAM | How the Nerdy Bourgeois Entertains Itself

• slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    slappybag wrote: »
    signature.png

signature.png

signature.png
    End in 7 hrs

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'm thinking about picking up civ 5 on sale so that when brave new world is eventually on sale I can play it because it sounds pretty awesome

I guess logic tells me to just wait altogether, since next sale with bnw drops in price so will vanilla

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    MisterM wrote: »
    There's a note saying Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7...will it work?

Obsidian games aren't optimized for anything, except whatever dark machinery they have sealed in their laboratory. So yes, it'll work just fine. Or as fine as it would on anything else.

Why are we bashing Obsidian for Fallout 3?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    There's a note saying Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7...will it work?

Obsidian games aren't optimized for anything, except whatever dark machinery they have sealed in their laboratory. So yes, it'll work just fine. Or as fine as it would on anything else.

Why are we bashing Obsidian for Fallout 3?

He's confused. Let him wander around for a while and groan to whatever object is nearby, he'll tire himself out soon.

Are you the magic man?
  • RichardRichard Registered User regular
    @JustPlainEvil decided I didn't have enough loot so he gifted me Borderlands and Dungeons of Dredmor. Thank you so much.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    The best thing about Sword of the Stars: The Pit is the title music.

Are you saying it's not worth 9 bucks? Because i'm trying to figure out how I want to spend the rest of the sale and I could get a bunch of small stuff and forget about that game for now.

Compared to the other roguelikes on steam? Eh not really.

That said the title music is really catchy.

Can you SkutSkut a few rogue like recommendations my way?

I have Dredmor and FTL.

Rogue Legacy keeps getting good reviews.
    In a few weeks the new version of Spelunky will launch on Steam.
    Risk of Rain is another platformy roguelike on Greenlight.
    Hack, Slash, Loot is an option, but I kind of hate it. Early on it feels extremely random; not enough meaningful choices.
    There's also Binding of Isaac. A lot of people will rave about how great it is. I can't deny that it had some great ideas, but the gross-out theme rubbed me the wrong way, as did the religious angle.

Am I missing anything? There aren't a ton of roguelikes on Steam. In fact, most of the best ones aren't. Brogue, Desktop Dungeons, and Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup are all wonderful, and you should check them out if you like the genre.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I will say Rogue Legacy is fun. If you don't want spoilers just have fun. If you want an easier time do some reading on it and it can be a lot easier due to choices you make. My 2cp

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • MisterMMisterM UKRegistered User regular
    Is Don't Starve considered a rogue like? Because its fun but probably doesn't have the sticking power FTL does imo

SCII-EU: MisterM.868 // LoL-EU-West: MisterM868 // Diablo3: MisterM#2476
    steam_sig.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Totally forgot Spelunky was coming out soon.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Somebody light the @Drake signal so I can get a comprehensive sales pitch for why I should buy Din's Curse with the absolute last of my money set aside for this sale.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • TodesbartTodesbart Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Our lucky winners are...

signature.png
    @Todesbart

signature.png
    @Icemopper

Friend invites have been sent!

Awesome, thank you so much dude!

steam_sig.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    man dishonored continues to be amazing

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Congratulations @Jeix for winning Dishonored! You're offically the fifth person I've gifted that game :)

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Is Don't Starve considered a rogue like?

Probably. Seems like damn near everything gets called a roguelike now.

cckerberos.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Somebody light the @Drake signal so I can get a comprehensive sales pitch for why I should buy Din's Curse with the absolute last of my money set aside for this sale.

The reason you should play Din's Curse is because the dungeons fight back. In Din's Curse the town and dungeon is simulated. NPCs in town will have agendas, some are trouble makers who start fights or steal. In the dungeons different types of monsters have different relationships and allegiances. They form up their own gangs, will meet each other for negotiations, build machines of doom and woe, level up and get nastier over time. They are more than happy to invade the town, killing important NPCs (don't worry, that merchant that was slaughtered before you could rescue him will eventually be replaced). All of this stuff generates dynamic quests to complete. Like in the example of the slaughtered merchant, you'll potentially receive a quest to rescue another from the depths of the dungeon.

In one game I played a bunch of townspeople were demon worshipers, including high ranking town officials. I couldn't beat the dungeon until I'd basically run an inquisition in the town, exposing the heretics and then hunting them down in the dungeon and delivering Din's judgment on them. During the course of this, demon worshipers were murdering townsfolk and opening demon gates, poisoning each other and generally being a complete pit of evil that had to be purged from the top down. And you can be sure that the place was purified. Every one left lived in the light of Din.

That's why you should play Din's Curse.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »

The reason you should play Din's Curse is because the dungeons fight back. In Din's Curse the town and dungeon is simulated. NPCs in town will have agendas, some are trouble makers who start fights or steal. In the dungeons different types of monsters have different relationships and allegiances. They form up their own gangs, will meet each other for negotiations, build machines of doom and woe, level up and get nastier over time. They are more than happy to invade the town, killing important NPCs (don't worry, that merchant that was slaughtered before you could rescue him will eventually be replaced). All of this stuff generates dynamic quests to complete. Like in the example of the slaughtered merchant, you'll potentially receive a quest to rescue another from the depths of the dungeon.

In one game I played a bunch of townspeople were demon worshipers, including high ranking town officials. I couldn't beat the dungeon until I'd basically run an inquisition in the town, exposing the heretics and then hunting them down in the dungeon and delivering Din's judgment on them. During the course of this, demon worshipers were murdering townsfolk and opening demon gates, poisoning each other and generally being a complete pit of evil that had to be purged from the top down. And you can be sure that the place was purified. Every one left lived in the light of Din.

That... that sounds amazing.

cckerberos.png
  • simacsimac Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I concur. Why have I not heard of Din's Curse before?

Thanks Drake! [wish-listed]

simac on
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

Jesus christ. Okay, I'll buy it. That's quite the goddamn sales pitch.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I have a spare Dead Island Riptide card and I need a Torchlight 2 card to complete my badge, if you're interested add me.

Not anymore.

Florin on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    TOWNS! YAY! Like the last thing I was waiting on :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I wonder if they ran out of Skyrim: Legendary Edition keys. Not seeing it on the main page.

Also, I wonder if Prison Architect will really be the day 10 daily deal. It's an early access game, and it's not the type of game to have people feverishly refreshing their browsers at 1pm EST in the hopes that it'll be a deal (it seems like something best tucked into the middle of the sale). Perhaps it'll be on sale today, but Half Life 2: Episode 3 (or Half Life 3?) will be available for preorder today, to be released tomorrow? It seems like grade-A decoy material to me.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    I think i'm going to be stuck at level 2 for sumer dale badge. I need 7 to complete 3, and I'm not spending any more summer. Guess 2 levels isn't bad.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    So the last date listed for the sale is July 22nd. That means no more new sales at 1 PM eastern time, right?

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    OK, Skyrim is back.

Well. What I said about Prison Architect stands.

Edit: further, all of the other postcard daily deals have shown up as flash sales or community choices. Not Prison Architect, so far as I'm aware.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »

only the things featuring random worlds, high difficulty, and a clear sense of figure-it-out-yourself.

you know

things that the original Rogue had

• simacsimac Registered User regular
    So, is towns any good? The stuff I've heard about it has been mixed, but I suspect a lot of that was caused by releasing too early...

Context: I like that sort of game, was a big Dwarf Fortress player until I burned-out on it.

edited July 2013
    Tamin wrote: »

only the things featuring random worlds, high difficulty, and a clear sense of figure-it-out-yourself.

you know

What is considered the original rogue?

nm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(video_game)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

I should just bing things before I speak.

DyasAlure on
    edited July 2013
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

you know

What is considered the original rogue?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(video_game)

Tamin on
  • MisterMMisterM UKRegistered User regular
    I guess Don't Starve has those things. Permadeath is something I also associate with Roguelikes.

SCII-EU: MisterM.868 // LoL-EU-West: MisterM868 // Diablo3: MisterM#2476
    steam_sig.png
    and my edit was slower than your reply. :)

So wait, would kroz be roguelike?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroz
    I loved and hated that game. I made it really far once, but never beat it.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I should just bing things before I speak.
    Sorry what? :P

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    @castalase I should search things on the internet. A la bing/google/dogpile/insert your engine here.

I guess Don't Starve has those things. Permadeath is something I also associate with Roguelikes.

To be fair, I shouldn't have said "high difficulty"; I haven't played Rogue, so I don't have any idea of the difficulty.

It's influenced by early D&D, though... so I'd expect it to be difficult.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    @castalase I should search things on the internet. A la bing/google/dogpile/insert your engine here.
    Oh I gathered that. I was expressing incredulity that anyone used bing as a search engine, let alone a speech lexicon. Just a little teasing ;)

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
    edited July 2013
    I'm having issues with bolders gate for the difficulty level. You can win, but some times it is just a brick wall. I started playing table top, and finding video games of today have nothing on how brutal some of the previous ones are. I think Ultima online, and loose everything to modern mmo's and no ks'ing anymore. not saying it is bad, but I think some really hard games are good.
    Catalase wrote: »
    Oh I gathered that. I was expressing incredulity that anyone used bing as a search engine, let alone a speech lexicon. Just a little teasing ;)

I started using when I relized how much good tracked me. Than I found out well, everyone does it and sells to the NSA, but I never stoped using Bing. It is good for searchs. Google maps is still better.

But more on video games. :)

DyasAlure on
    So wait, would kroz be roguelike?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kroz
    I loved and hated that game. I made it really far once, but never beat it.

I've asked that question over the years. The consensus seems to be that, the interface aside, it's not.

A handful of levels are random, but most (iirc) are static; whereas (at least in nethack), the reverse is true. The items don't change (a whip is always a whip, never a teleport). On the other hand, it has permadeath and it's certainly difficult. Which I mostly blame on the random nature of the whips. Gah. Be consistent at breaking through that wall, you stupid thing.

do I dare use this whip on a wall? I might need it... but I need that item, and there are more whips on other side.
    fail
    fail
    fail
    fail
    you have no whips..

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Some friendly advice: don't load up the Towns tutorial when you're tired and fairly drunk. Seems like a pretty complex game. Looking forward to diving into it tomorrow.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Yay, I got a booster pack for Precipice 4!

Hm, it's not selling for much, guess I'm gonna open it instead..

..and what to do I get? 3x Hestia, a card I already own. Fuck my life.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699