As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sometimes I draw silly little cartoons of random facebook friends

ridingonemptytrainsridingonemptytrains Registered User regular
They're nothing special but people seemed to enjoy them and they don't take long to do plus I was having fun with it so I just kept doing them whenever I got bored. Some of them are kind of inside jokes but most of it is pretty self-explanatory. I usually tried to put something in each one that hinted at that person's personality.

1LJHHkn.png

09sZ6Fn.jpg

1mhXL6L.png

51hYHLF.png

w3gT5Wb.jpg

RpjjxOL.png

xzbu3pp.jpg

oOwAQZl.jpg

8pFdSQ4.png

cYx0ICc.jpg

cerijpng.png

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    These are cute and I like your hierarchy of line weight. :^: Have you tried inking any? They'd really lend themselves to some ink. At the very last you could brighten up your scanned pencils with some levels adjustment.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • NeoriceisgoodNeoriceisgood Registered User regular
    These are actually really quite cute!

Agreeing here with Squidbunny 100%; The quality and general line-work here is actually pretty good,
    presentation is the big problem right now.

If you can ink them and use level/contrast tools to make them look sharper that'd put most of these right up there
    in the undeniably sweet category.

Do you have access to any graphic software?

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    These need to be inked. I feel like line weight could be shifted in some areas. (Sam i feel like the shield need to be thicker on the inside part to pop as a whole)
    I really like the detial on the shirts and stuff. May favorite is Liz. The pattern you laid out in the dress mixed with the thick lines really do it for me.

Im sure you already know him, but if not, check out the works of alphonse mucha. Lots of bold lines and patterns.
    Post more...ink some up too.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Seems to me like the line weight is fairly formulaic; dark heavy bordered lines, thinner lines inside the border. I'm not sure exactly what you guys are raving about.

That being said I do like the drawings, especially Liz, it has a really lovely flow. Extending your knowledge of line weight could really make these zing.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Mustang wrote: »
    Seems to me like the line weight is fairly formulaic; dark heavy bordered lines, thinner lines inside the border. I'm not sure exactly what you guys are raving about.

That being said I do like the drawings, especially Liz, it has a really lovely flow. Extending your knowledge of line weight could really make these zing.

It's a good formula.

• KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    Cartooning people's facebook photos actually sounds like a viable business plan. I wonder how you could market that.

As for critique a agree with a lot of other posts. These look really good but they don't necessarily look done. Inks and play with the line weight a little. Remember you can use lines to convey depth, play around with that and you'll make these guys really pop. Keep it up!

• falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    I want to agree on the thin/thick lines you use. Very nice. In a way it reminds me of the how they drew the characters from the Clerks cartoon. I also like the detail on the 'Liz' drawing (her dress), which is something I would have done if I were doing these.

• ridingonemptytrainsridingonemptytrains Registered User regular
    My original intention with these was to do relatively normal pictures of people but I feel like they're slowly getting out of hand. Oh well, here's a couple more. Starting with Danny I'm trying to do slightly more challenging poses. We'll see how it goes.

Ctlq8t7.jpg

AF4eLFb.png

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I like them. I don't have a comment on line weight. As for the recommendation of cleaning up the scan have you looked at The GNU Image Manipulation Program (GIMP). It really does a lot of things, but you should be able to erase the pixels that show outside your actually drawing and I think that would make a difference if nothing else. I like people who draw, as all my stuff is computer generated, so I wouldn't recommend doing anything to the drawing itself.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1