As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Calm, explorative games?

l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Games and Technology
I was just replaying Deus Ex, and realized how much I love the whole section where you're searching Nicolette Duclare's mansion; there's no enemies around, you just explore this mansion, finding the occasional hidden item, solving a puzzle here and there, and unlocking more of the place until you're ready to go. I've also always had a soft spot for the mansion levels in Tomb Raider, especially Legend. Are there any games, preferably 3d, although I suppose I'd have better luck with point and click, that focus on that? No danger, not necessarily a straight up puzzlefest, just a space to explore and uncover secrets, that sort of thing? Doesn't even need a plot, really.

l337CrappyJack on

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Everblue 2 on the PS2, if you can find it. Diving/exploration/looting game

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The first game that came to my mind was Elektroplankton. Hardly the same kind of games as the ones you mentioned, but (in my opinion) an excellent example of a 'lowers your blood pressure as you play' kind of game.

Edit: If Everblue are those diving games (the next one is coming to the Wii, called Forever Blue, I think) I can't wait to try those out. It looks so... calm, like real diving.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shadow of the Colossus is pretty good for that. The only enemies are the 16 bosses you fight. Other then that there's just places to explore for the sake of the sights, and some lizards and fruit to find.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • mattclemmattclem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    While I'm completely ignorant as to its actual content, Forever Blue (What's it called now, again? Endless Ocean?) looks like it mightbe appropriate. And Knytt might spring to mind if I'd played it (I know, I know; I'll get around to it sometime. From what I've heard, it kinda fits the bill.)

As for games I've actually played, rather than just going from hearsay on, Seiklus is a lovely little explorationy platformer

Oh, yeah, and La Mulana. That's a nice, gentle one as well. :evil:

mattclem on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Longest Journey!

zhen_rogue on
  • DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You're right, Knytt is pretty much perfect.

Duki on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know this will draw criticism, but several MMO's are ripe for exploration. If you disregard the killings and just wander, World of Warcraft does have a massive, sprawling world. I guess it would suck as a level 1, but a preexisting player could merely alter their play style (don't bother with mobs, or PvP), and just poke around.

redfenix on
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The world of WoW is tiny in comparison to some other MMO's out there such as Everquest 2 and Vanguard. I don't mean to say that you couldn't get a lot of satisfaction from exploring in WoW, but the latter two games would last much longer, especially Vanguard, if that's all that you want to do.

Becoming on
  • Pink GorillaPink Gorilla Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Ico sounds like what you're looking for.

Pink Gorilla on
  • IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All the classic Lucasart's adventure games. All of the games are pure awesome.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Duki wrote: »
    You're right, Knytt is pretty much perfect.
    Yes, it is.

Download it for free (yes, legally) here. I prefer Within a Deep Forest, but for pure calmness and exploration Knytt can't be beaten.

Knytt Stories (a sequel) came out within the past couple days, but I haven't played it yet.

Kaputa on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What about that cloud game? You know, that one?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • BecomingBecoming Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    templewulf wrote: »
    What about that cloud game? You know, that one?

I second that - Cloud is a very unique game and it's so relaxing.

Becoming on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Interesting topic. While it wouldn't be for you, for several weeks I was playing Metal Saga to cool down from World of Warcraft. No real overarching plot to speak of, just wandering around the (disturbingly light-hearted) post-apocalyptic wasteland looking for ways to tool up my personal tank(s). There are a lot of random encounters, but most of them aren't in any way difficult unless you wander too far at too early a level, and there's an easy-to-get skill that prevents random encounters with lower level enemies for a period of time.

Don't get me wrong, the game is very stupidly frustrating at certain points (when the enemy you're facing requires a weapon you don't have, for example), but I found the whole procedure to be pretty zen. Plus, with no significant plot, I didn't feel bad at all putting it down for weeks to play Persona 3.

Different strokes, I guess.

Dracomicron on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There's also a game called fly, i think, a little flash game. I can't find it right now, though.

redfenix on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What's that undersea game coming for the Wii? Deep Blue or something? (Forever Blue... Shit I can't remember) but that looks like a really calm explorative game.

urahonky on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It used to be called Forever Blue, now it's Endless Ocean. And yeah, that sounds like what the OP is looking for. No enemies or anything, just swimming around looking at fish.

Another one I can think of is Wind Waker. Not the dungeons and shit obviously, but sailing around exploring random islands is really calm and relaxing.

bruin on
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Noctis perhaps? A space-exploration game. Make sure you get the "NICE" version if you decide to try it.

BlueDestiny on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    rayofash on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is some really good stuff. I actually just tried out Knytt this morning, and that kinda got the juices flowing. Is there anything maybe a little more puzzley? I'm digging the running around and all that, but maybe something with a little more....to unlock, I guess would be a way of putting it. Almost like in Myst, where solving a puzzle unlocks something else that kicks off a whole chain of puzzles and exploration. If that makes any sense.

l337CrappyJack on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pikmin 2 is pretty relaxing... except for that one underwater cave.

Taya on
  • cowmeetcowmeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I know you don't want point and clickers, but Myst and Myst 2 are very relaxing, the sound, the environment, all help you just focus on puzzles.

And if you really get stuck, look up a strategy guide, just limit yourself to how much you read and try to figure things out.

cowmeet on
    60555833fo7.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is some really good stuff. I actually just tried out Knytt this morning, and that kinda got the juices flowing. Is there anything maybe a little more puzzley? I'm digging the running around and all that, but maybe something with a little more....to unlock, I guess would be a way of putting it. Almost like in Myst, where solving a puzzle unlocks something else that kicks off a whole chain of puzzles and exploration. If that makes any sense.
    Knytt Stories, for "Knytt, but you need to collect abilities to progress". Then, there's Within A Deep Forest from the same maker, which is probably exactly what you want.

Glal on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1076266522-00.jpg

do I win?

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd say Mobygames won that round.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    only if you ninja edit with imageshack.us

LewieP on
  • BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    damnation!

107626652200hr8.jpg

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Zork grand inquisitor. One of the finest, search around and explore games. Great comedy with dirk benedict also. its on gametap FTW.

Viscountalpha on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    Knytt Stories, for "Knytt, but you need to collect abilities to progress". Then, there's Within A Deep Forest from the same maker, which is probably exactly what you want.
    I loved Within a Deep Forest, but the precision bouncing that was necessary to succeed can be frustrating for some, which is why I recommended Knytt instead. It's still worth trying (especially since it's free).

Kaputa on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Basticle wrote: »
    1076266522-00.jpg

do I win?

Fail, hard.

rayofash on
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If you're thinking of an adventure game similar to Myst where you explore and solve puzzles, might I recommend Obsidian? It's probably one of the most unusual games in terms of setting, and can be kind of a mindfuck to boot.

Dalboz on
  • HorsecalledwarHorsecalledwar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I always enjoyed the hell out of Treasures of the Deep on PS1. You play as a diver and collect treasure and find secret stuff. Keep waiting for someone to do a next gen sandbox diving game. I had a blast with it.

Horsecalledwar on
    BALLS - Is coming home late after a night out with the guys, smelling of beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the butt and having the balls to say: You're next, fatty.'
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Myst series, maybe?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mattclem wrote: »
    While I'm completely ignorant as to its actual content, Forever Blue (What's it called now, again? Endless Ocean?) looks like it mightbe appropriate. And Knytt might spring to mind if I'd played it (I know, I know; I'll get around to it sometime. From what I've heard, it kinda fits the bill.)

As for games I've actually played, rather than just going from hearsay on, Seiklus is a lovely little explorationy platformer

If you've never made it past the first 2 screens, maybe. I've only played it for a week, and I'm already burnt out on it.

Masonite on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Masonite wrote: »
    mattclem wrote: »

If you've never made it past the first 2 screens, maybe. I've only played it for a week, and I'm already burnt out on it.

I think it was a joke.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Nobody mentioned Oblivion? There are a million and one things to do in that game, and it suits many different playstyles, much like Deus Ex. Lots of exploring to do and combat is very much optional/avoidable. Go for a stealthy character with a bow or something, learn some invisibility stuff, do Dark Brotherhood quests for epic awesome gear, do whatever.

Also, in b4 'Oblivions leveling system sux'

Really, from someone who loves Deus Ex (2nd favourite game of all time), Oblivion might be just the ticket.

Noray on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Nobody mentioned Oblivion? There are a million and one things to do in that game, and it suits many different playstyles, much like Deus Ex. Lots of exploring to do and combat is very much optional/avoidable. Go for a stealthy character with a bow or something, learn some invisibility stuff, do Dark Brotherhood quests for epic awesome gear, do whatever.

Also, in b4 'Oblivions leveling system sux'

Really, from someone who loves Deus Ex (2nd favourite game of all time), Oblivion might be just the ticket.

Yeah, and take alchemy as a major skill too.

bruin on
  • RpegRpeg bear at picnic table SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love this thread for introducing me to Knytt, seriously. <3

This is the kind of thing I really enjoy in games. In the same vein as Wind Waker being mentioned, Metal Gear Solid 3 can be very relaxingly paced (as long as you don't get caught by guards) and is a blast to explore.

I personally find Dragon Quest VIII relaxing in its familiar gameplay and beautiful world. Great elements of exploration for an RPG.

This is treading into the more standard games category, but Super Metroid is my favorite game to play when I'm in a mood for exploration.

I'll chime in with Shadow of the Colossus, Ico and Myst.

Rpeg on
    Steam: FairyDick
  • KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shenmue!

KimFidler on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Another shoutout for Noctis.

It's free, runs on anything, and is all about exploring planets and sharing what you find with others. Despite its implicity, there's tons of strange things just waiting to be discovered.

Dartboy on