As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Working at PAX (and other cons)

TimDTimD Registered User regular
So I'm in my final year of high school in Australia and it's nearing the time where we pick universities. I have wanted to go into TV production, but recently, after going to PAX Australia, I've realised how interested I am in the organisation behind conventions.

Anyway, my question is what career path would I need to take to be able to get a job of organising something like PAX?

By the way, PAX was awesome!

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    You know what. I forget his name, but the 'Content Director' of all PAX's was floating around the convention on the weekend, usually hanging out with PA staff. He'd be the perfect person to ask, I'd wager. If anyone knows who I'm talking about, do you know his name or how he may appropriately be reached?

My google fu is failing me and I can't find him.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Yeah Robert Khoo right? That's a great idea. Thanks man. I'll try and see if I can contact him.

• Options
    Not actually Robert Khoo, although he might be able to help you, too. There's another guy, but for the life of me I cannot remember his name. He told me his title is the 'Content Director' of PAX.

• Options
    Hmm. I guess I haven't yet heard of him. If you can think of his name that'd be a great help.

• Options
    Wait I just googled a list of Penny Arcade staff. Is it David Coffman?

• Options
    I'm unsure. I'm trying to find a picture of the guy to match with who I had met, but I can't find one of David Coffman, I have a feeling that's someone else, though.

• Options
    Damn. I may have to wait until next PAX to ask them. Thanks for your help though.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Okay I think I found him, @TimD. I beeeliieeeve his name is Ryan Hartman. Please correct me if I'm wrong, guys.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ryan-hartman/29/20/b13
    "Responsible for coordinating content and arranging events such as PAX Prime, PAX East, PAX Dev, and Fantasy Football Fest. "

I think his twitter profile name is ryanhartmanwins

That should hopefully be enough to get you started! Good luck.

If David Coffman is linked to the organisation of PAX then it'd probably be good to see if you can reach out to him, too.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ryan works for ReedPop, the convention company that does PAX for Penny Arcade. David works for PA directly and oversees PAX stuff. I think if you want a career in this, you'd be best off talking to people at Reed.

http://www.reedpop.com/Who-We-Are/

There's other folks who work on PAX at that link if you read the descriptions (also I think Ryan is the newest PAX Reed person, but I could be wrong).

• Options
    Thank you both so much. You guys are awesome