As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me Learn

DversedDversed Registered User regular
edited July 2013 in Artist's Corner
So I've been trying to learn to digitally paint with my tablet. My problem is, I realized, I don't know how to paint.
I've been trying to glean information from this forum and around the internet but sometimes I feel overwhelmed with all the info.

I use to paint with watercolors a long time ago, so that's what I tried with this picture.

First I roughed it out the lines
Then I painted in the shadows
Then the "skin color"
Then I tried soften and harden some edges
try to add highlights

and after 3 hours this is what i got.

jddi.jpg

I kinda like it, but after awhile I feel like I'm doing double work. Is there a way to make my process more efficient?
I've seen speed paintings that look way more lively and polished.
Is it just a matter of practicing the tools?

I want to finish this one, but I want to start another one tomorrow.
I don't think I'll spend to much time with this one.

Dversed on

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Good start. Her left arm around the elbow is having a few issues. Her right nipple seems to be too far inot the mass of the breast. I think you've got a very solid start. Just keep pushing and tighten it up!
    Im in the same boat as you, and really the "more efficient" way just comes to practice practice practice. Sure there's little tricks you will learn along the way, but it's really about just doing it. based on this one image i would say you're off to a great start. Light source is on, anatomy has a few minor tweaks to make, but yeah. Post more!

• Options
    wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    You are SO far ahead of the curve, because your simple approach isn't getting caught up in the powerful and excessive traits of Photoshop. I just want to see more practice outta you!

"Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread • Everywhere I Post
  • Options
    Good start. Her left arm around the elbow is having a few issues. Her right nipple seems to be too far inot the mass of the breast. I think you've got a very solid start. Just keep pushing and tighten it up!
    Im in the same boat as you, and really the "more efficient" way just comes to practice practice practice. Sure there's little tricks you will learn along the way, but it's really about just doing it. based on this one image i would say you're off to a great start. Light source is on, anatomy has a few minor tweaks to make, but yeah. Post more!

Its good to read this. I was getting frustrated because it wasn't coming out how I wanted.
    But at least i know now that I'm headed in the right direction.

Here it is finished before I read your critique.
    whj7.jpg

here's something I did yesterday
    I think I drew it to small.
    56t2.jpg

I hope its ok that I'll be double posting in here and in the resolution thread. I just want to be more accountable for drawing everyday and I so want some feed back for the drawings I'll be doing now.
    wahay wrote: »
    You are SO far ahead of the curve, because your simple approach isn't getting caught up in the powerful and excessive traits of Photoshop. I just want to see more practice outta you!

You'll definitely see more outta me. Friday I'll have a lot of time to try to make a tight drawing.

• Options
    More from this week

These are taking longer than I thought, but I feel like i'm getting it.

I'm getting lost in the details. I will have to be more mindful of the steps when painting.

5jtc.jpg
    yw7v.jpg

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Its nice to see your stuff out side of the resolution thread. Your progress is quite a thing to watch. Where are you getting your references from, do you have a book you are using?

• Options
    Just finding stuff of the internet. Anatomy4Sculptors facebook page has a bunch of god pictures of statues