As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Obama Administration Thread: Now With Climate Change Action!

12346»

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I'm curious what role people criticizing Obama's comments on Friday think that the administration should have when commenting on high profile and divisive issues that are at the forefront of our current national conversation. I don't think that Obama would be in the wrong or have mishandled the issue if he'd simply left this at the 'jury has spoken' phase without further comment, but I also don't think it's wrong of him to continue this discussion in an attempt to open up dialogue or at least help prevent a large minority of America from feeling disenfranchised from this issue.

Personally, I feel that issues like this are exactly why we have a President and he plays the role in national dialogue that he does. Directing Holder to investiage if there were any Civil Rights violations is also part of his job to represent the interests of the American people as a whole.

The wharblegharble on the right makes it sound like Obama stood up on Friday and gave a Malcolm X 'kick the legs out from the table' speech, which clearly shows that they are going to hear what they are going to hear regardless of what he says or what role he plays so - personally - I want him to say 'fuck those guys, I was elected to do my job'.

If you believe Obama represents anything with regard to changing race relations in the US, then this is something he needs to comment on. And he did it in a way that, imo, was as gentle and human and empathetic as possible. He wasn't accusatory or anything, just sympathetic to Martin and his family and the black community in the US in general.

The backlash is inevitable because what he's talking about makes the white majority uncomfortable because it's explicitly talking about the black man's lack of privilege compared to a white man on this matter.

It's a testament to how far on the issue the US needs to come that this became a big story.

I kinda feel bad for the guy cause this bullshit keeps cropping up and overshadowing issues he actually wants to deal with. I think Obama has gotten the worst term possible, with an economic collapse, a bevy of bullshit and a historically intransigent Congress that has prevented him from doing all that shit he's always wanted to while being President. This is like the Blue Balls Administration.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »
    Wow this is actually super relevant.

Obama is going all, "the economy, stupid" on alllll our asses. 'Repackaging' his former proposals seems like a waste IMO, but maybe saying something, anything would make Boehner realize the errors of his ways. Or at the very least put forth some token stuff to make it look like he has any ideas other than no ideas.

It won't. I like the repackaging idea, but this isn't about getting some momentum in congress, it's about getting press showing Obama offering solutions. Boehner is a lost cause and practically a political pariah, he's not going to do anything that helps anyone.

Both sides seem content to sit in their opposing trenches and wait for midterms.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Obama is going all, "the economy, stupid" on alllll our asses. 'Repackaging' his former proposals seems like a waste IMO, but maybe saying something, anything would make Boehner realize the errors of his ways. Or at the very least put forth some token stuff to make it look like he has any ideas other than no ideas.

It won't. I like the repackaging idea, but this isn't about getting some momentum in congress, it's about getting press showing Obama offering solutions. Boehner is a lost cause and practically a political pariah, he's not going to do anything that helps anyone.

Both sides seem content to sit in their opposing trenches and wait for midterms.

It's more that one side knows nothing it does will accomplish much of anything and the other is content to sit in it's trench and fling shit at everyone and keep anything from being done.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think it might be possible to pass some things in the Senate, the house is a lost cause but the relevance of the tea party in the senate is cracking. Obama has a good opportunity here to keep making senate based compromises

maybe if they keep being a partially functioning body of government the members of the house will do something so they can feel like grown ups too

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I think it might be possible to pass some things in the Senate, the house is a lost cause but the relevance of the tea party in the senate is cracking. Obama has a good opportunity here to keep making senate based compromises

maybe if they keep being a partially functioning body of government the members of the house will do something so they can feel like grown ups too

AFAIK The extent of things Obama can get done in the Senate with the House still sitting and spinning on their thumbs is filling all the vacancies in Federal positions that the Senate has been clogging up.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Wrong thread!

Magus` on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I'm curious what role people criticizing Obama's comments on Friday think that the administration should have when commenting on high profile and divisive issues that are at the forefront of our current national conversation. I don't think that Obama would be in the wrong or have mishandled the issue if he'd simply left this at the 'jury has spoken' phase without further comment, but I also don't think it's wrong of him to continue this discussion in an attempt to open up dialogue or at least help prevent a large minority of America from feeling disenfranchised from this issue.

Personally, I feel that issues like this are exactly why we have a President and he plays the role in national dialogue that he does. Directing Holder to investiage if there were any Civil Rights violations is also part of his job to represent the interests of the American people as a whole.

The wharblegharble on the right makes it sound like Obama stood up on Friday and gave a Malcolm X 'kick the legs out from the table' speech, which clearly shows that they are going to hear what they are going to hear regardless of what he says or what role he plays so - personally - I want him to say 'fuck those guys, I was elected to do my job'.

If you believe Obama represents anything with regard to changing race relations in the US, then this is something he needs to comment on. And he did it in a way that, imo, was as gentle and human and empathetic as possible. He wasn't accusatory or anything, just sympathetic to Martin and his family and the black community in the US in general.

The backlash is inevitable because what he's talking about makes the white majority uncomfortable because it's explicitly talking about the black man's lack of privilege compared to a white man on this matter.

It's a testament to how far on the issue the US needs to come that this became a big story.

I kinda feel bad for the guy cause this bullshit keeps cropping up and overshadowing issues he actually wants to deal with. I think Obama has gotten the worst term possible, with an economic collapse, a bevy of bullshit and a historically intransigent Congress that has prevented him from doing all that shit he's always wanted to while being President. This is like the Blue Balls Administration.

I'm sorry, but the president of the US making comments about a trial court case outcome is what makes everything extraordinary. That never happens, and IMO it should not have. It just drew more attention to it, and the remarks Obama made about how if be had a son he would look like Martin really fed the racial dynamic the news was manufacturing.

• Options

I'm sorry, but the president of the US making comments about a trial court case outcome is what makes everything extraordinary. That never happens, and IMO it should not have. It just drew more attention to it, and the remarks Obama made about how if be had a son he would look like Martin really fed the racial dynamic the news was manufacturing.

The racial dynamic is not manufactured though and that's the whole point of his speech. And he's only talking about it cause it's already big news. And there's nothing wrong with the President commenting on an issue with that much attention and that touches on a very important and fundamental aspect of life for America's most prominent minority.

If you don't understand where the racial dimensions in this case exist, I suggest you read Obama's speech again and pay more attention, cause he goes through it there.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    While I'm glad to see Obama talk about his race, he probably shouldn't have weighed in on this. It's just too murky and light on facts, especially since there's a non-zero chance Trayvon was the initial aggressor and Zimmerman really did shoot in self defense. Nor was race ever really proved to be a factor; I suspect Zimmerman would have followed any dude that night, be he white or black.

It's more that one side knows nothing it does will accomplish much of anything and the other is content to sit in it's trench and fling shit at everyone and keep anything from being done.

The democrats have options, they could have used the nuclear option and eliminated the filibuster, and I think they should have. As to Obama, I don't know what you do in his position. You've got no political capital and your party is effectively neutered by a broken congress. Too bad he doesn't own a ranch to go clear brush out of, because he might as well go on vacation at this point.

In foreign policy news, I've been out of the loop on Syria, anyone know if the US decided to supply weapons?

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

AFAIK The extent of things Obama can get done in the Senate with the House still sitting and spinning on their thumbs is filling all the vacancies in Federal positions that the Senate has been clogging up.

The other thing he can do is hammer out "compromise" bills that pass the Senate with bipartisan support and then use that in the midterms to hang around the houses neck in the midterms. While it isn't governing it is favorable optics.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

I'm sorry, but the president of the US making comments about a trial court case outcome is what makes everything extraordinary. That never happens, and IMO it should not have.

Citation needed.
    It just drew more attention to it, and the remarks Obama made about how if be had a son he would look like Martin really fed the racial dynamic the news was manufacturing.

Manufacturing?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    George W. Bush also commented on the Terri Schiavo matter. There is nothing extraordinary about a President talking about something going on in America.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    I think my favorite time Obama commented on an American event was when he called Kanye a jackass off the record.

The President commenting on something that is dominating the news cycle isn't uncommon, whether it's a trial or otherwise. Especially nowadays with our insatiable desire for information. I don't remember if Clinton ever commented on the OJ trial, though.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

The racial dynamic is not manufactured though and that's the whole point of his speech. And he's only talking about it cause it's already big news. And there's nothing wrong with the President commenting on an issue with that much attention and that touches on a very important and fundamental aspect of life for America's most prominent minority.

If you don't understand where the racial dimensions in this case exist, I suggest you read Obama's speech again and pay more attention, cause he goes through it there.

I did read it. Its a good speech, as his speeches tend to be. But to say that Zimmermwn following Martin was analogous to a store employee following a black boy in a store is pure race baiting as far as I am concerned. The situations are very different on a number of levels, not the least of which is that black terms being followed in a store don't normally get into altercations with said employee.

And for Obama to say that Martin could have been him 35 years ago is ridiculous. Sure, Obama could have been in the situation of walking home on a dark night when he was a kid, but I doubt very much that Obsma ever would have gotten into a fight (let alone started one, which seems to be the case) with the man following him.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    George W. Bush also commented on the Terri Schiavo matter. There is nothing extraordinary about a President talking about something going on in America.

And yet people complain when Barack talks about someone similar to himself.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I did read it. Its a good speech, as his speeches tend to be. But to say that Zimmermwn following Martin was analogous to a store employee following a black boy in a store is pure race baiting as far as I am concerned. The situations are very different on a number of levels, not the least of which is that black terms being followed in a store don't normally get into altercations with said employee.

Your privilege is showing again. Most black teens (that I, my family, and my friends know) that are followed in a store do confront the employee, but thankfully they (edit: the employee) don't carry a gun so it doesn't go much past a not-so-friendly yelling match and the teen never entering the store again.
    And for Obama to say that Martin could have been him 35 years ago is ridiculous. Sure, Obama could have been in the situation of walking home on a dark night when he was a kid, but I doubt very much that Obsma ever would have gotten into a fight (let alone started one, which seems to be the case) with the man following him.

Yes, Obama as he was raised probably wouldn't, but that wasn't what he was saying. He was saying that as a black youth, raised in Florida, with a similar up-bringing as Trayvon, could have been killed in a similar situation. It's called Empathy and putting yourself in someone else's shoes. You should try it some time.

Veevee on
  • Options

Irrelevant. Martin was suspected of being a criminal for no reason. This is a situation of intimate familiarity to the US black community. And that's what Obama was addressing. This situation hit home with people, this situation prompted thoughts of "I could have been Trayvon Martin", this situation led to demonstrations and an addrses from the President exactly because everything about it is commonplace for the black community in the US. And that's what his speech was, at least partially, about.

You can ignore the racial dimensions of the incident only because they have never affected you. What you are missing is that this is not an isolated incident. This is tuesday for the black community. Obama understands that, because it's happened to him. And so he talks about it.

This isn't race baiting and frankly, I suspect you don't even know what the term means.

Why do you think he wouldn't have? I'm betting Obama knows young Obama better then you.

• Options
    While I'm glad to see Obama talk about his race, he probably shouldn't have weighed in on this. It's just too murky and light on facts, especially since there's a non-zero chance Trayvon was the initial aggressor and Zimmerman really did shoot in self defense. Nor was race ever really proved to be a factor; I suspect Zimmerman would have followed any dude that night, be he white or black

Race is a huge factor in this whole debacle. Regardless of what Zimmerman might have been thinking at the time or whether race was a factor in Zimmerman's pursuit, the story of a young black man just walking home eating some skittles who is then assumed to be a criminal and followed and this leads to his death is not uncommon to the black community.

And that commonplaceness has led to the widespread reactions to the story. And the President, like any President, can address the issue because it is at this point a national issue. And a good opportunity to get that message out and edumacate some people, which is a good part of what Presidential speeches are all about.

It's the power of the pulpit. This is exactly what it's for. To talk about something and thus communicate an idea to the whole nation.

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular

You know, it's very possible that Zimmerman followed Martin due to racial prejudice AND that Martin initiated the altercation. They're not mutually exclusive.

Different black men are different! Some (allegedly) react against racism and prejudice in aggressive ways! News at 11

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Or anyone who has read Dreams From My Father. The President was a fairly typical teenager.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I miss the ignore function.

Have we really turned the Obama thread into yet another thread about SKFM's bizarre opinions?

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Obama thread's current odds of survival:

34%

Further commentary on the odds of the thread being locked will be considered off-topic.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    USA Today wrote:
    President Obama meets Monday night with some of his most fervent supporters.

Obama gives remarks to Organizing for Action, the volunteer group created from the remnants of his successful 2012 re-election campaign.

Later, the president takes questions at an OFA dinner.

Among the likely topics: the administration's efforts to push congressional legislation on immigration, gun control, climate changes, and other issues.

OFA members are trying to pressure congressional Republicans on these items.

Also attending the Organizing for Action event: House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

It's rather amazing how these things can blow past so fast. Hope OFA actually manages to boost midterm turnout.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

This wasn't Obama commenting on some case out of Florida, and turning it into national news. This case was already national news, and Obama was giving his opinion on the matter. I don't really think the distinction is that fine, but it makes a difference for me.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    USA Today wrote:

Obama gives remarks to Organizing for Action, the volunteer group created from the remnants of his successful 2012 re-election campaign.

Among the likely topics: the administration's efforts to push congressional legislation on immigration, gun control, climate changes, and other issues.

Also attending the Organizing for Action event: House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

It's rather amazing how these things can blow past so fast. Hope OFA actually manages to boost midterm turnout.

Those are some ironic guest for OFA, as they were both incredibly bad at you know...getting shit done.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Check the House's record from 2009 - 2011. They passed a ton of stuff, much of it legitimately good. If Reid had eliminated the filibuster in January of 2009, liberals would think of Obama as the greatest President since FDR easily.

Don't talk shit about Nancy Pelosi.

EDIT: moniker is also right that even WITH the filibuster, the 111th was the most productive since the 60s.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    USA Today wrote:

Those are some ironic guest for OFA, as they were both incredibly bad at you know...getting shit done.

The 111th Congress was one of the most effective in our recent history. Granted Obama had a fairly narrow window thanks to Franken taking awhile to get seated and then Kennedy dying, but pretty much everything substantive that got done during his time in office occurred then due to Speaker Pelosi and Leader Reid managing to get shit onto his desk.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    USA Today wrote:

Eeeeeeeeh, although I completely agree, you can't alienate the only people who can "theoretically" get things done for you. Right now we have a virtually 100% chance of getting nothing done in Congress. If Obama and Democratic Congressional leaders weren't on good terms, I'd say we'd go to an actually 100% chance of getting nothing done in Congress. Or who knows, maybe Congressional Republicans, on seeing the split between Obama and Reid/Pelosi, would become Reid/Pelosi's allies to spite Obama, and this Congress becomes the most productive in history. Nothing motivates like a common enemy.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Yawwwwwwwwwwn.

Thread's chance of survival:

46%

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Commencing Ultimate Obama Thread Survival Roll of Not Being Locked...

A roll of 46 or below means the thread sticks around...

• Options
    Oh gosh, I'm so excited...

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Okay, Geth, are you ready?

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    We are Legion.

• Options
    I am conflicted!

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Geth, roll 1d100

1d100 81 [1d100=81]

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Oh, so sorry! Geth apparently does not like this thread! Maybe in six months!

This discussion has been closed.