As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Card Games (Nostalgia ITT)

ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
ever since I was introduced to Pokemon at age 9-10 and Magic at age 14-15 I've loved card games, and had noticed today they are in decline.

Pokemon:
I was one of those 11 year old ensnared by the Pokemon craze. I got rather good at the Pokemon CCG with a lot of Practice, with a number of several decks. I played the PKMN CCG throught the entirety of the WOTC lifetime, before the EX stuff. I sat at a KB toys 2 times a week to participate in the official league. there were many cool events, such as the Rocket "Random Attacks" on our store that made it such a cool experience for my young self. I loved the Rocket and Gym sets a lot, but now, at age 21, I still like the Pokemon games, and still think to this day that it was an amazing card game.

Magic:
Magic's..... an odd one, I love the game a lot, but recent sets and the horrid kinds of dicks who play turned me off, I still love to play oldschool casual to this day though.

Magi Nation:
A great mix of Pokemon/Magic with better execution and awesome machanics made for a very enticing, brillaint, awesome game experience, the Magi League rivaled the Pokemon league in Awesomeness.

THE ERA OF DECIPHER:
I loved Decipher game, but Decipher make crappy decisions and axes games.

Star Wars CCG:
An amazing game. if you disagree you are a communist.

.hack//ENEMY:
A short lived, little amazing game. it was quite a fun game despite it's short life

Trek:
Star Trek was a pretty cool game, if you didn't mind a little indirect play.

LOTR:
Lord of the rings was okay, it just seemed like it would die quickly because they would have no content when the movies ran their course, instead, the big Decipher axes .hack and Megaman to keep LOTR around. using "Weta Cards" to keep it alive.

It's a shame that card games are declining like this, thoughts?

Clawshrimpy on

• Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Aside from traditional card games (Poker etc) I've only played one game of Magic: The Gathering.

It was ok, but I didn't see what the fuss was about.

It was all about Pogs and Football (soccer) stickers for me growing up.

But yes, it's a shame that this kind of game are dying out. Kids just don't seem to appreciate stuff like this anymore.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I still have a bunch of the limited edition Star Wars cards, and the LoTR cardgame. Star Wars was pretty fun, but LoTR was confusing as hell... even as an adult I might not be able to figure it out.

Hmm, now I'm wondering if these could be valuable in any way. I remember limited edition Magic cards selling for $150-200 back in the day.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    The Laughing ManThe Laughing Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Vampire: The Eternal Struggle - Greatest multiplayer card game ever made.

The Laughing Man on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    as for future card games, it's mostly been jsut Yu-Gi-Oh dominating the market, however, I played the beta of "The Spoils" at PAX, and it's damb good.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    thatnerdyguythatnerdyguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Magic:
    Magic's..... an odd one, I love the game a lot, but recent sets and the horrid kinds of dicks who play turned me off, I still love to play oldschool casual to this day though.

This is, in my mind, the only thing wrong with Magic, and largely why I stopped playing. Magic has been an incredibly successful game, and it's one of the only ones that's still going strong after so many years. However, it's success is also it's downfall here, as they have such a huge tournament scene. Huge cash prizes = players turn into assholes, apparently.

The only other game I can think of that's of the same quality and been around for as long is Legend of the Five Rings, published by AEG. Much, much smaller fan base, and much harder to find people to play with (I haven't found a group since I moved to Oregon), but damn that's a well made game. It's essentially set in a generic "far east" fantasy world, with samurai, dragons, ninjas, monks, you know, all that good stuff. The game set-up is what's fascinating to me, though. You have two decks, dynasty and fate. Fate is your "sorceries/instants", if you will, where dynasty is your people, gold mines, etc. Fate cards go into your hand, like normal, but dynasty cards go down on the table, making a second hand. These are your provinces. When you attack, you don't attack the player, you attack his provinces. Destroy a province, you gain tempo. Kill them all, you win the game.

Interestingly, there are several other ways to win the game, including honor, dishonor, enlightenment..... God I miss that game.

tl;dr - L5R is teh awesomezors. Get it.

thatnerdyguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yu-Gi-Oh has the same problem, kids who play Yu-Gi-Oh turn out to be elitist.

Back in my day, Kids who played Pokemon were cool to play with. because the Pokemon game was FAR more balanced and you didnt need every awesome Rare ever to stand a chance in the meta.

I used a lightning deck with limited rares and I destroyed the Rain Dance meta.

At least it wasnt as bad as the Dragonball Z card game, remember that piece of shit?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited September 2006
    The Star Wars CCG was amazing. I was really sad when that ended, even though there weren't any stores in my area that stocked it anymore, and the only one I had to play against was my brother.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Seeing kids be elitist to each other when playing Yu-Gi-Oh makes me hang my head in shame.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I never did get Pokemon cards. I want them bad!

rayofash on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm a huge fan of L5R, and if no one else makes a thread I will (I won't yet because I'm out of touch with the game).

On the Nostalgia front, though, the Babylon 5 game was amazing. It did a great job of encapsulating victory in both political and military arenas, and using Babylon 5 to screw over your opponents. It was complicated, as any political TCG is, but that was part of its charm.

My gaming group at the time had invested in thousands of cards, probably at clearance, so that they could play with virtually any deck they wanted. They had personal cards, of course, but the communal pot they could draw from was larger than many Magic colelctions I've seen.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    My greatest card game memories all revolve around playing Bullshit while camping.

Bullshit with 2 jokers in the deck.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Then again, there is stuff like Herocard and Ninjaburger.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    AkinosAkinos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of L5R, and if no one else makes a thread I will (I won't yet because I'm out of touch with the game).

Do it. Do it now!

I used to work at a card/hobby shop and we had a good thing going back in Diamond Edition. Oh so much money down the drain...

Good times, though. Good times.

Akinos on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spycraft was absolutely great fun until they released an expansion that really did make things truly ridiculous. They effectively made one of the factions almost completely invincible and killed all of their player base.

Good going!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    PkmoutlPkmoutl Registered User regular
    edited September 2006

I got into that when it was still called Jyhad.

It was tough getting people interested in it though. I had a killer Malkavian deck.

Pkmoutl on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm looking at my big boxes of Pokemon cards I use to collect/play. I recently dropped oit for its bigger brother Magic though.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    MattJacob wrote:
    Athenor wrote:

Do it. Do it now!

I used to work at a card/hobby shop and we had a good thing going back in Diamond Edition. Oh so much money down the drain...

Good times, though. Good times.

I remember going down to a local game store and dropping all my lawn-mowing, leaf-raking, wall-washing money on a deck, a few boosters, and some select cards. Originally it was always Phoenix to me but then I realized that Crab is pretty much easy mode if you stack your deck right. I never beat any of the 40 year old guys that played up there but I always had a damn good time and occasionally gave them a good run. But no matter what one person would always smoke me like a blunt, my brother. He had a honor-based Crane deck that would win before I could get more then 2 guys out. And attacking with 2 guys is essentially useless. He would never take it down to the shop to play against others though (I think he was too ashamed of it or something, anytime we bought anything I had to go up there to do it), but I remember asking him if I could. I stole all his cards from him awhile ago and have been thinking of going back down there and seeing if anyone still plays....

Edit: And while I must apologize for this off-topicness: Anyone play the P&P RPG? If so and you want to get an e-group together send me an e-mail or a PM (My PMs don't work though and I won't be able to respond so if you do leave an e-mail address).

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    No love for Middle Earth: The Wizards? :(

Lots of fun trekking across the world with my homeboys and showing that pussy Gandalf who's the biggest, baddest wizard in town.

Allon on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Oh god, the Star Wars CCG. I loved that game more than any other card game that came out. I still have like 4 boxes of cards, and a binder full of rares. Near the end of its lifespan they basically started giving away foils - I've got 2 foil Milennium Falcons now. I was so upset when Lucasarts yanked the license to give to Wizards of the Coast.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Saiyan ChampionSaiyan Champion Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    It was a shame Magi-Nation never took off. I knew the guy that designed it, we used to playtest all his sets for him and it was a shame it didn't get picked up. They had plans to get a cartoon going and everything.

I still have this crazy bograth deck that used to rape everything we could come up with till it got nerfed to hell. Well not all of it, just Moob, because he was insane.

Saiyan Champion on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Magic the gathering: I loved this game as well after Urza's I quit then got back into it around "Something.. Mask" It was kool then they killed off every main chracter and started the story on a different world. Thats when I lost intrest.

Star Wars CCG: I loved this one as well, made me cry when they lost the license.

Golem on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Illuminati mo's fuggas. Not the crappy CCG version, but the awesome boxed version!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited September 2006
    Chorazin wrote:
    Illuminati mo's fuggas. Not the crappy CCG version, but the awesome boxed version!

God yes. I need to force the buddies to play that next time we meet.

Echo on
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

God yes. I need to force the buddies to play that next time we meet.

Hell yeah you do, and try to pick up some of the expansions. Y2K is great, Church of the Sub-Genius Illuminati FTW.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Pkmoutl wrote:

I got into that when it was still called Jyhad.

It was tough getting people interested in it though. I had a killer Malkavian deck.

Ditto for me. I was there when the whole Jyhad to Vampire transition happened. It was amusing to watch them explain how to use your Jyhad backs with the new backs. You could use new backs with old backs if you had a minimum of four cards that were of the other back but they had to be all different cards.

Fun times.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy