As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nerf Guns and the Modding Thereof

CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
Well, after seeing a Nerf Maverick in Fred Meyer for only $8 ( :!: ), I decided to pick one up with about 10 extra sonic darts.

I bring it home, and get right to work, removing the restraints on the barrel of the Maverick. My final product:

maverickmod.jpg

Now, my next step is to increase the strength of the spring, but I don't know what spring to get. Any recommendations? Also, show off your mods/guns as well for bonus points.

i am perpetual, i make the country clean
Cymoro on

• Ghost Rider 2099Ghost Rider 2099 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    20060104h.jpg

Ghost Rider 2099 on
    5.gifCrackdown_21.thumbnail.jpgI follow console news because it's fun, like tracking the rivalries in what was once called the World Wrestling Federation. There are larger than life characters. There are signature techniques.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    oh god, those would have been great for the tell me a story photoshop thread. dammit i loved nerf, just so much fun when you had enough of it.

RoyceSraphim on
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Last month's nerf longshot thread has some good info.

Agentflit on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Also, I removed the limiters in the chambers, so that the shots should be more consistent now.

The limiters are those three-pronged things with springs behind them.

Cymoro on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I had frame one of that comic happen to me just a few days ago. I was at a party and somebody says "Hey Alfonso." I look up just in time to stare down the barrel of that exact nerf gun and catch a dart straight in the eye. Oh man are drunk people fun.. and by fun I mean assholes.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • AndrewAndrew Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spraypaint that shit black. You might be shot by a police officer but damn will it look good.

Andrew on
    ilovedeaths.jpg
  • Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • verpaverpa Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    That longshot is so fucking awesome

verpa on
    542987-1.png
  • TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really want to mod my longshot, but I'm too lazy. That thing has serious fucking potential what with it having an awesome rate of fire in addition to being spring powered. Not to mention cocking it just feels bad ass.

TwistedJester on
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This internet fad is starting to show its age... How about we mix things up with that whole Aereo Ace fad? But don't go shooting the plane, it moves too fast. Try to shoot a Picco-Z RC helicopter!
    ~$30, and made by the same firm, even though it's sold under a different brand. Looks cool enough.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I just got finished reading the Longshot thread. Someone there mentioned that they've been looking for replacement darts. You can get packs of tag darts and glow-in-the-dark darts at retail stores, but you can actually order large packs of ammo from Hasbro directly.

Nerf Order Form

You can get small darts, Nerf balls, large arrows, even replacement missles for the big Titan 3-in-1 monstrosity.

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I have the longshot, and I want to work on modding it to shoot over 100 Feet.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • budecbudec Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    GSM,

Man, that heli-cop-tor looks badass.

How high can you fly those things? I would like to put a little camera on it and fly it though traffic.

budec on
    ninjasig.jpg
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really want to mod my longshot, but I'm too lazy. That thing has serious fucking potential what with it having an awesome rate of fire in addition to being spring powered. Not to mention cocking it just feels bad ass.

Assembling it, cocking it...Nerf has somehow managed to make a plastic gun that shoots foam darts badass in every way. I do not know how this was accomplished. I theorize it involved elven magic.

yalborap on
    edited September 2006
    yalborap wrote:

Assembling it, cocking it...Nerf has somehow managed to make a plastic gun that shoots foam darts badass in every way. I do not know how this was accomplished. I theorize it involved elven magic.

I have just seen a commercial for a new nerf gun.

I PISSED MY PANTS WITH DELIGHT.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4948204

Rapid fire.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    yalborap wrote:

Rapid fire.

I've seen some awesome mods to that thing done. Not much of a fan of pump-based ones, though. Too much down-time to pump them.

yalborap on
    edited September 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:

Rapid fire.

I've seen some awesome mods to that thing done. Not much of a fan of pump-based ones, though. Too much down-time to pump them.

It's fucking rapid fire.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited September 2006
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:

Rapid fire.

It's fucking rapid fire.
    The Maverick uses rapid fire also, but it looks like The Samaritan from Hellboy, which means it is made of win and foam.

Maverick

Edit: Actually, the Maverick is semi-auto, I think (though I'm not sure). It's also only a six-dart clip. However, the Maverick is only $8 each, which means you can dual wield for less than the price of the Magstrike.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    edited September 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:

Rapid fire.

It's fucking rapid fire.
    The Maverick uses rapid fire also, but it looks like The Samaritan from Hellboy, which means it is made of win and foam.

Maverick

Edit: Actually, the Maverick is semi-auto, I think (though I'm not sure). It's also only a six-dart clip. However, the Maverick is only $8 each, which means you can dual wield for less than the price of the Magstrike.

The Maverick is like a six shooter.

You have to cock it every time you want to fire.

Heh.

cock.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Andrew wrote:
    Spraypaint that shit black. You might be shot by a police officer but damn will it look good.
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

redhalo on
  • MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    yalborap wrote:
    yalborap wrote:

Rapid fire.

It's fucking rapid fire.

Maverick

The Maverick is like a six shooter.

You have to cock it every time you want to fire.

Heh.

cock.

My friend has it, and it's awesome.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • MxzylptMxzylpt Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

You just sold a nerf gun...and some spray paint.

Seriously though what kind of paint did you use and did you coat it with anything so as to not be that kind of awkward somewhat sticky texture that paint can be at times? Or maybe I just put too much paint on stuff...

And did you take it apart to paint it piece by piece?

Mxzylpt on
    Mxzylpt.png
    Crush your enemies. See them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of the women.
    edited September 2006
    I want to paint my Longshot black.

That'd be fucking badass.

Scrumtrulescent on
    edited September 2006
    Mxzylpt wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

Seriously though what kind of paint did you use and did you coat it with anything so as to not be that kind of awkward somewhat sticky texture that paint can be at times? Or maybe I just put too much paint on stuff...

You need a name for that gun. Like "Virginia." Maybe "Rosalin."

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg
    OH MY GOD THAT IS SO TOTALLY FUCKING BADASS.

I'm doing that to my mav, pronto. srsly.

Recoil42 on
    edited September 2006
    Mxzylpt wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

I used vinyl dye, Krylon Fusion I believe. It's made to soak into plastic and retain the texture. It's not sticky at all, though it does look glossier in this pic than in person. And yes, I took the whole damn thing apart...then spent a full day trying to figure out how to put it back together again. Every thing works still as originally manufactured. I feel like batman.

redhalo on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'm thankful my picture hasn't made it here yet.

*snicker*

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2006
    Is there any kind of universally accepted rules set for Nerf wars?

One of my childhood dreams was that Nerf would start putting tiny sensors in their ammunition, and start selling "body armor" that would register the strength of a hit based on the signal and deduct "HP" accordingly.

Small darts would carry a small charge and thus require multiple hits to register a kill, but the huge rocket darts and grenades would let out a "pulse" once they connect that registers damage on anyone within a certain range. Hit someone in the chest and it's "goodnight Gracie," but being caught on the outside of the blast radius would do a lot less damage. Imagine being able to start mortaring your friends hiding in cover, or toss in a grenade to drive them out of a bunker.

Maybe my children will be lucky enough to live in such a world...

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:

Pretty much just the first one in that strip on page 1.

Daedalus on
    edited September 2006
    Wait... wait... did Nerf ever make anything like a sturdy lightsaber? Because I just had a vision of me dancing and flipping around swatting darts out of the sky like a Jedi.

I must do this.

Zimmydoom on
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
  • GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:

One of my childhood dreams was that Nerf would start putting tiny sensors in their ammunition, and start selling "body armor" that would register the strength of a hit based on the signal and deduct "HP" accordingly.

Small darts would carry a small charge and thus require multiple hits to register a kill, but the huge rocket darts and grenades would let out a "pulse" once they connect that registers damage on anyone within a certain range. Hit someone in the chest and it's "goodnight Gracie," but being caught on the outside of the blast radius would do a lot less damage. Imagine being able to start mortaring your friends hiding in cover, or toss in a grenade to drive them out of a bunker.

Maybe my children will be lucky enough to live in such a world...
    Lazer Tag has something like the mortar you describe.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Any guides or tips on modding the maverick? Like how do you get the cylinder to swing out further like in the OP? and how do you remove the restraints?

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Cymoro wrote:
    Well, after seeing a Nerf Maverick in Fred Meyer for only $8 ( :!: ), I decided to pick one up with about 10 extra sonic darts.

I bring it home, and get right to work, removing the restraints on the barrel of the Maverick. My final product:

maverickmod.jpg

Now, my next step is to increase the strength of the spring, but I don't know what spring to get. Any recommendations? Also, show off your mods/guns as well for bonus points.

huh, how'd you get the barrel to breech fully?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    Cymoro wrote:

maverickmod.jpg

There's a tutorial somewhere on how to do it, but I didn't bother touching it. Basically, you open up the Maverick, and take out the barrel. There should be two tabs you need to remove, one on the barrel, and one on the gun itself:

mavremove.jpg

I used a dremel to cut them out, re-assembled the gun, and shot my roommate. Much fun.

Cymoro on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    Cymoro wrote:

maverickmod.jpg

There's two plastic tabs that prevent the barrel from folding out completely. Open up the gun and cut them off, then reassemble the gun. Easiest thing in the world.

DarkPrimus on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    I'm thankful my picture hasn't made it here yet.

*snicker*
    You mean this one?

athenormaam.jpg

You shouldn't have said anything. :P

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Zimmydoom wrote:
    Wait... wait... did Nerf ever make anything like a sturdy lightsaber? Because I just had a vision of me dancing and flipping around swatting darts out of the sky like a Jedi.

I must do this.

12.jpg?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

I need detailed instructions on how to make a perfect replica of that. stat.

supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
    edited September 2006
    supersloth wrote:
    redhalo wrote:
    Andrew wrote:
    Oh...like this?

blacknerfgun.jpg

I need detailed instructions on how to make a perfect replica of that. stat.
    Like I said a few posts up, basicaly just take it apart and paint it with Krylon Fusion vinyl dye. I appreciate the kind words on my 'piece". I think I should see how far I can go modding this thing. How's a scope sound? :twisted:

redhalo on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Neo Rasa wrote:

Bah, no belt feed. What's the point of a machine gun if you only get 144 shots out of it?

jothki on