As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, July 19, 2013 - Sand, Part Three

2»

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    I think that the mouth protruding from that man's cheek is more disturbing than the alien nose. Mike isn't very good at anatomy and it isn't the first time it bit him in the ass. Whatever.

I feel that when the duo abandons the 3 panel scheme, they run into pacing issues. I see how they are extending the dialogue to build mood, but it just doesn't work for me. They don't have the visual tricks to do it.
    So far I am a bit disappointed, but overall premie seems cool.

• Options
    McMastaMcMasta ProvoRegistered User regular
    I really like the SAND concept and theme, back when they did the initial pilot comics SAND was easily the one I was most interested in. As far as it not being well suited for a MWF update schedule and more of a graphic novel I can diffidently see where your coming from however, that is a LOT of work to ask for. I am perfectly happy to receive bits and pieces when they are running a event or doing something else that interferes with their normal comic creation process. If you want to get your SAND fix and the PA guys aren't doing it you should try reading gunsofshadowvalley.com/ it is truly amazing. It would be silly to expect Mike and Jerry to be able to pull of something of that caliber and scale and still give us the PA that we come here for every MWF.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    After watching Mike yell his head off about what piece of shit those tangents are, I think we're entitled to pillory Mike for something.

"I can feel it pinching. I don't want this in my head."
    "It bothered you before I pointed it out."

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    After watching Mike yell his head off about what piece of shit those tangents are, I think we're entitled to pillory Mike for something.

"I can feel it pinching. I don't want this in my head."
    "It bothered you before I pointed it out."

Heh heh, I was thinking the same thing about the tangents. The artistic tic in this comic bugs me more than Abby's tanget ever could.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is it possible that I've been unclear that the tangent about the noses was to stop?

• Options
    lifeincognitolifeincognito Registered User regular
    I am really enjoying this revival and pumped to see where it goes from here.

I've already got my reading theme music picked out. And I suggest everyone plays it when they read the comic.

Johnny Cash - Ain't No Grave

losers weepers. jawas keepers.
  • Options
    kismesisterkismesister Mu Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Colors are a lot more coherent this time around, but that is some perspective fail in panel two. I get what he was going for but mostly it looks like his hat's too big for his head and slid down.

The PAX Aus schedule seems to imply that they will be doing Monday's comic today (tomorrow for attendees? later today?? TIMEZONES!!), so I'm concerned. Is this the whole arc we're going to get? Is that panel description just a copy paste and we're going to get a few more strips while Mike is on vacation for a week after Pax?

I am finally at a point where I am super curious about the world and it would be a shame to see it cut off here! Guess we'll know Monday.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oh, goddamn. I didn't notice that his mouth was where his eyes should be in that second panel till you guys pointed it out. Now it will haunt my dreams.

Although that might be intentional. It certainly looks alien. Someone said
    he's probably a messiah created by the ship's broken AI or something?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Yeah that second panel is definitely off.

Although the mouth does work as a single creepy-ass eye, so maybe you're right and that's what he was going for?

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Oh, goddamn. I didn't notice that his mouth was where his eyes should be in that second panel till you guys pointed it out. Now it will haunt my dreams.

His head is tilted back (he's leaning) with his hat pulled down. The other panels corroborate this. What you're seeing under his mouth is the underside of his chin.
    Granted, it's a "perspective fail" if it isn't immediately obvious.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

His head is tilted back (he's leaning) with his hat pulled down. The other panels corroborate this. What you're seeing under his mouth is the underside of his chin.
    Granted, it's a "perspective fail" if it isn't immediately obvious.

Hmm, ok. I guess my eye would expect to see some kind of chin shadow in that case?

• Options
    He has more of a muttonchops thing going on. Not so much chin hair.

• Options
    kismesisterkismesister Mu Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    It's one thing to criticize the material; it's another thing to pop into every single thread about the comics with the same comment repeatedly, and nothing else to add to the discussion. And a whole DIFFERENT thing to continue to bring it up after being told explicitly not to.

It's really silly. 'Ah yes I hate this design decision and am going to make sure a bunch of strangers who are in no way responsible for it being there know about it!!'

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Homestar wrote: »
    It's one thing to criticize the material; it's another thing to pop into every single thread about the comics with the same comment repeatedly, and nothing else to add to the discussion. And a whole DIFFERENT thing to continue to bring it up after being told explicitly not to.

It's really silly. 'Ah yes I hate this design decision and am going to make sure a bunch of strangers who are in no way responsible for it being there know about it!!'

How is it any less silly than popping in and saying "Ah yes I love this design decision and am going to make sure a bunch of strangers who are in no way responsible for it being there know about it!!"?

By that rationale, we shouldn't even have these threads. Though I'll completely agree and say that, if the same people keep saying the same crap over and over, it's pointless, and there exists the possibility that someone who wasn't even aware the same opinion has been spouted out non-stop could come in and voice it independently.

• Options
    Comradebot wrote: »
    Homestar wrote: »

How is it any less silly than popping in and saying "Ah yes I love this design decision and am going to make sure a bunch of strangers who are in no way responsible for it being there know about it!!"?

By that rationale, we shouldn't even have these threads. Though I'll completely agree and say that, if the same people keep saying the same crap over and over, it's pointless, and there exists the possibility that someone who wasn't even aware the same opinion has been spouted out non-stop could come in and voice it independently.

From what I've noticed, a lot of times it's brand new people coming in to the thread to mention it, people who haven't necessarily seen the other threads. So my suspicion on this thing is that a lot of infractions are going to be handed out to people who have no clue why, for every new thread where someone decides they want to come in to the thread to say something.