As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mercenary Kings] - Ask Me About My *NERFED* Trombone Gun

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Games and Technology
So let's talk.

tumblr_m9nc9lYkD61qjjvnxo1_250.gif

photo-main.jpg?1343445513
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Q1ksP2TyY

Mercenary Kings is a new game from Tribute Games, the group behind Wizorb and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World: The Game. It's a mix of Metal Slug, Monster Hunter, Mega Man and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair. Up to four players co-op their way through some pretty huge levels in (eventually) over 100 timed missions breaking stuff, collecting resources, building guns, armour and character mods and basically making things die and/or explode.

It's very fun. It's still in Alpha.

Two important tips:

The Select button brings up your map. Objectives are marked on the map. Levels are really big, you may want to use this or, if you want a fun challenge and like to explore, then don't!

Running all the way to the right at Base Camp will take you to the Hunting Grounds, a low threat area where you can harvest fruit and animal parts to get easy money and learn the controls.

Dalantia's Incredibly Awesome Crash course in weapons making, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Laugh Maniacally While Bullets Fly Everywhere.
Important note: This is an alpha. I expect the way this works to change radically before launch, particularly the interaction between weapon power and magazine size. I make no guarantees that this is up to date, and this is broad strokes anyway.

Because I do terrible, terrible things with these guns, I expect people to start asking me questions. "How do I make my own Monstrosity?" for example. So, quick guide.

The very, very basics:

1. Don't rush into something. That little pistol you start with is sufficient for a good long while, and pistols and magnums are good all-around weapons, especially for soloing. Sure, you'll reload more often - but they're accurate, lethal, and they reload quick. Don't think "must get rid of the pistol, must get rid of the pistol". Wait to switch away from it until you've got a solid weapon to switch to, don't just instantly drop it.

2. Test your gun. The Hunting Grounds are a good place to get a feel for how the gun shoots. You don't want to go into a mission and discover, for example, the gun you expected to be fully automatic is actually burstfire.

3. Double-check your magazine every time you come back. Online play currently has a bug where your magazine will disappear, especially if it's not the kind of magazine that's built into the receiver like most machine guns are. While you might want a single-shot weapon (see later), usually it is a bad idea.

The fiddly bits:

The core of your weapon is the Receiver. This is, in essence, how the gun will respond when you pull the trigger - it decides the base power, base accuracy, base ammo, base reload time, and the way the gun fires. There are three kinds of fire types - Semiauto (mostly shotguns, sniper rifles, magnums, and handguns), Auto (machine guns, SMGs, some Assault rifles, some shotguns), and Burst (generally only certain assault rifles). Some weapons have an elemental affinity - we'll discuss that at Ammunition. The receiver is a big influence on what the gun will do, but it does not flat-out decide how it acts. Some guns are complete with just their Receiver (mainly pistols); you won't need to add anything else for a functional weapon, just slap some ammo on it and head into the field.

The next thing to add is the Barrel. This generally influences the range, power, ammo type, and (minorly, usually negatively) accuracy of the weapon. This is how an assault rifle goes from arm's length to hitting three screens away. Mostly, this kind of item is restricted by weight; heavier barrels generally provide more power and range. (Weight is something I'll cover later, too.)

The Magazine is pretty obvious, deciding how many bullets are fired before a reload, and influencing reload time and ammo type. However, something to keep in mind - a weapon's raw power increases if there are fewer maximum bullets in the magazine. "But Daaaaaae, why would I ever want to use a magazine, then?" It's pretty simple - most magazines positively influence reload speed. LMGs' inbuilt magazines are the exception - they're nothing but bad for the weapon, but, instead, those tend to provide a fair amount of Ammo Type to go with their size and clumsiness, allowing you to swap in other parts elsewhere. If you want to cut down on an LMG's reload time, though... (Also, if you miss that one shot, you're going to be jumping around frantically trying to nail the active reload, especially with some slower weapons.)

The Sight positively influences accuracy. Most of them tend to add a big chunk of accuracy, along with being fairly light (most sights are under 1kg). Snipers have the majority of scopes - the rest are mostly just completion and joke items, but they work in their own way. Kinda. Anyway, this is a good time to discuss Accuracy. Aside from the obvious (how straight your average shot will be), I am of the opinion that it also influences glancing shots; shots that show their damage in grey text, and do half damage. The higher your Accuracy, the less likely your shots will glance, and also the more likely you are to score a critical (big red numbers, doubled damage), in my experience. Guns with low accuracy will tend to have huge spreads, sometimes as big as 45 degrees up and down when you're just firing away, and they'll also somewhat frequently glance. Some weapons this matters less with - some it matters more. The choice, ultimately, is yours, whether you want to forego the sight or not.

The Stock influences accuracy, as well as being one of the larger sources of Ammo Type. Not much to say on this one. Usually heavier than a sight.

Ammunition is what comes out of the gun when you shoot it, obviously. However, the type of ammo you pick matters. I mentioned Ammo Type and Elemental affinities earlier - this is where those come into play.

There's two kinds of ammo - elemental, and specialized. These can also be combined.

Specialized first: specialized ammo affects the behavior of a bullet. The basic ammo (a single shot forward) is Soft-Point. Magnum/Large bullets are larger bullets, that push a player standing still backward, and (anecdotal, unconfirmed) tend to crit more, as well as having a larger hitbox. Lead Shot ammo fires a vertical spread, and Armor Piercing penetrates walls (but not enemy armor; it's dumb, I know). Homing ammunition homes in (duuuuuuh), Ball Ammunition bounces off walls, and I -think- Fragment ammunition fragments into smaller parts upon hitting a wall, but I haven't seen any yet. In order to use a specialized ammunition, your weapon must be compatible. The Ammo Type statistic measures how compatible a gun is with specialized ammo - at 100% or above, a weapon will accept specialized ammunition. All weapon parts can affect Ammo Type. Magnums and Machine Guns tend to favor Heavy ammunition. Sniper Rifles and occasionally Machine Guns favor Armor Piercing, and Shotguns favor Shot. Early on, at least, you'll have to assemble a weapon focused around the parts that favor a gun type in order to use specialized ammo, but I can already see that restriction relaxing in some places.

Some weapons have an elemental affinity. In order to benefit from this affinity, the ammunition must be of the same element as the gun's affinity, or else it's wasted; using non-elemental ammo in an elemental gun also wastes the affinity. The elements (that I have seen) are Caustic (Does damage even if the enemy would normally bounce the shot, except against bosses), Fire (+80% damage vs. meat), Electric (Unknown; Personal guess is extra damage vs. machines), and Cryogenic (Chance to freeze enemies in place). The weapon's POW is its non-elemental power - the weapon does this with every shot, regardless of whether or not it's loaded with elemental ammo. There is an elemental version of most of the shots, that I have seen, along with a non-elemental of every specialization.

Finally, weight.

The weight of your weapon, your installed bionic mods (walk to the left, talk to Ms. Lab Coat), your KNOIFE (you'll unlock access to this middle of Tier 1) and your backpack gear decide how fast you move. The heavier your gun, the slower you move, the more mods you have installed, the slower you move. Two mods, a spear, some grenades and medkits, plus a kitted out bringer of dakka... you'll be pretty slow. Carry just a handgun, a stiletto, no mods, and a couple of adrenaline shots, and you'll be pretty speedy. It's up to you how fast you wanna run around. I get by just fine moving at Normal to Very Slow. Your armor has no weight, and upgrading it is pure bonus.

That's... a lot of text. Not sure if it is helpful, but getting it out there.
Move%20Out.jpg

tumblr_ma625slcMP1rq6odlo9_r1_400.gif

Magic Pink on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    This looks really interesting. If someone wants in on a 4-pack with me, message me on Steam.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they add more chatacters, right now there's just two: King and Empress. They did mention in the Kickstarter that they may add a Fashion Designer to make different outfits. That could be fun.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This looks great! I hope it does well enough that the devs can bring it to PS3/4.

Art style reminds me of Scott Pilgrim.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

It should, it IS the art style of Scott Pilgrim. This is the same dev team.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    This looks great! I hope it does well enough that the devs can bring it to PS3/4.

Paul Robertson worked on both.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I was a Kickstarter backer of this and I got an early access code but I've had no time to play it at all :oops: Good to see it getting some notice, though. I am still bummed there was no PC release of the Scott Pilgrim XBLA game.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I was given a copy of the game, and we're doing some coop right now if anyone would like to join in, just friend me on steam since apparently thats the only way i can invite in.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Wow, Sorry Corrigan but you folks were WAY past where I am. I was barely hurting anything!

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Wow, Sorry Corrigan but you folks were WAY past where I am. I was barely hurting anything!

We just finished the 2nd mission set, we're onto the third ranking. Its all cool. <3

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Holy balls. I just got to the end of the first one. No wonder I was suckin'.

I covet that trombone gun tho. :winky:

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Oh god, Paul Robertson's zaniness in a Metal Slug game? Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I shall be looking forward to this getting all the kinks worked out.

EDIT: CAT ROBOT THAT FIRES CATS

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    This is my stream of the game, we've been playing like 4 hours now its so great.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Oh god, Paul Robertson's zaniness in a Metal Slug game? Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I shall be looking forward to this getting all the kinks worked out.

EDIT: CAT ROBOT THAT FIRES CATS

I'm not positive but I think that's a dog robot shooting dogs.

Westies to be precise.

153980.0811091555.jpg.resize

the most ammunitionest dag

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Aaaaannnd fuck it. I caved.

Playing this game makes me realize how much I fucking resent the youth of today. Where was this game when I was a kid? All we had was fucking Battletoads, Metroid, Kid Icarus, ect. You can play the nostalgia card all you want, but screw it. Those games were bullshit hard. They were random. They had next to no info on what to do. We only ate it up because we didn't know better. This game is the culmination of knowing better. This game could have been my civilization as a kid.

But you. You kids today, with your rock and roll and your Thursday afternoon school orgies and your walking downhill in the sunshine. You don't deserve better.

Welcome to Curmudgeon town. Population: Me.

...In actual serious news, this game is pretty great. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    So yes.

Totally worth it.

Worth every penny.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Options
    i kills mans with a fish now

and a trombone submachine gun

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Dalantia is the bestest ever for gifting this my way, and this is the bestest game ever, too. I'm on the second set of missions if anyone would like to play tonight or tomorrow.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    I'm mostly digging the crap out of this so far, but man the timed missions have to go.

Also, it seems upgrading my gun makes it much, much worse. Which seems like an odd design choice, or perhaps I need to save up and get all the upgrades at once.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Lawndart wrote: »
    I'm mostly digging the crap out of this so far, but man the timed missions have to go.

Also, it seems upgrading my gun makes it much, much worse. Which seems like an odd design choice, or perhaps I need to save up and get all the upgrades at once.

Each part has pros and cons. So, buying new part types is (if I understand right) a straight upgrade, but buying a new one of a type you already have can be a downgrade.

I got the Jaeger, both because it upgraded all my gun related stats, and because Pacific Rim is kind of amazing. Haven't played enough to really test it, though.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It could stand to have some more explanation. I bought the Handcannon frame, and made a super powerful gun that only had two shots. Then bought one of the mags with 30 shots in it, but despite the purchase screen saying nothing about the power, equipping it tanked my damage. And for the longest time, the first shotgun barrel trumped all the others.

It's a wonderful lego type system in terms of making your very own gun, but it seems you could make the coolest looking gun in the world yet have the shittiest of stats.

Still though, managed to fumble my way to a pretty cool gun. Great damage, only 5 shots but the thing reloads so damn quick I can't hit the sweet spot. So far it's working out awesome.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It could stand to have some more explanation. I bought the Handcannon frame, and made a super powerful gun that only had two shots. Then bought one of the mags with 30 shots in it, but despite the purchase screen saying nothing about the power, equipping it tanked my damage. And for the longest time, the first shotgun barrel trumped all the others.

It's a wonderful lego type system in terms of making your very own gun, but it seems you could make the coolest looking gun in the world yet have the shittiest of stats.

Still though, managed to fumble my way to a pretty cool gun. Great damage, only 5 shots but the thing reloads so damn quick I can't hit the sweet spot. So far it's working out awesome.

Your receiver is the thing that determines your reload speed, your barrel determines the range, stock determines accuracy, magazine determines damage. More shots/less damage. Thats just a quick basics, some have elemental bonuses for the different ammos etc. If you can get your gun parts to get 100% of a weapon type (Large, Armor Piercing) then you can equip that ammo type. Making a full sniper rifle, then putting on Armor piercing means youc an shoot through floors/walls and wreck shit.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    CorriganX wrote: »

Your receiver is the thing that determines your reload speed, your barrel determines the range, stock determines accuracy, magazine determines damage. More shots/less damage. Thats just a quick basics, some have elemental bonuses for the different ammos etc. If you can get your gun parts to get 100% of a weapon type (Large, Armor Piercing) then you can equip that ammo type. Making a full sniper rifle, then putting on Armor piercing means youc an shoot through floors/walls and wreck shit.

That helps generalize things, thanks.

Though I fear it's not that cut and dry. Like the barrel also affects damage pretty significantly. And for the first rank at least, the Dunali shotgun barrel beats everything to the point where I don't know why you would use anything else.

No point really fretting over it though. It's still an alpha, and the system in place is shockingly deep as it is. Hopefully they'll tweak things more as they go.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I picked up the four pack, I think all four are spoken for now. I might have one left.

It took me a little bit to settle in, but once I was comfortable I was having lots of fun. I just wish things were marked a little more clearly on the map. There's also a slightly delay when jumping that throws me off. It looks like things will be steadily improving, though.

Are they actually taking suggestions on the official forums? I would really, really like to be able to shoot at a 45 degree angle.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    As I understand it: the larger your clip size, the less damage per bullet. There are videos of people putting really small clips on assault rifles and doing megaton damage.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Crash course in weapons making, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Laugh Maniacally While Bullets Fly Everywhere.

Important note: This is an alpha. I expect the way this works to change radically before launch, particularly the interaction between weapon power and magazine size. I make no guarantees that this is up to date, and this is broad strokes anyway.

Because I do terrible, terrible things with these guns, I expect people to start asking me questions. "How do I make my own Monstrosity?" for example. So, quick guide.

The very, very basics:

1. Don't rush into something. That little pistol you start with is sufficient for a good long while, and pistols and magnums are good all-around weapons, especially for soloing. Sure, you'll reload more often - but they're accurate, lethal, and they reload quick. Don't think "must get rid of the pistol, must get rid of the pistol". Wait to switch away from it until you've got a solid weapon to switch to, don't just instantly drop it.

2. Test your gun. The Hunting Grounds are a good place to get a feel for how the gun shoots. You don't want to go into a mission and discover, for example, the gun you expected to be fully automatic is actually burstfire.

3. Double-check your magazine every time you come back. Online play currently has a bug where your magazine will disappear, especially if it's not the kind of magazine that's built into the receiver like most machine guns are. While you might want a single-shot weapon (see later), usually it is a bad idea.

The fiddly bits:

The core of your weapon is the Receiver. This is, in essence, how the gun will respond when you pull the trigger - it decides the base power, base accuracy, base ammo, base reload time, and the way the gun fires. There are three kinds of fire types - Semiauto (mostly shotguns, sniper rifles, magnums, and handguns), Auto (machine guns, SMGs, some Assault rifles, some shotguns), and Burst (generally only certain assault rifles). Some weapons have an elemental affinity - we'll discuss that at Ammunition. The receiver is a big influence on what the gun will do, but it does not flat-out decide how it acts. Some guns are complete with just their Receiver (mainly pistols); you won't need to add anything else for a functional weapon, just slap some ammo on it and head into the field.

The next thing to add is the Barrel. This generally influences the range, power, ammo type, and (minorly, usually negatively) accuracy of the weapon. This is how an assault rifle goes from arm's length to hitting three screens away. Mostly, this kind of item is restricted by weight; heavier barrels generally provide more power and range. (Weight is something I'll cover later, too.)

The Magazine is pretty obvious, deciding how many bullets are fired before a reload, and influencing reload time and ammo type. However, something to keep in mind - a weapon's raw power increases if there are fewer maximum bullets in the magazine. "But Daaaaaae, why would I ever want to use a magazine, then?" It's pretty simple - most magazines positively influence reload speed. LMGs' inbuilt magazines are the exception - they're nothing but bad for the weapon, but, instead, those tend to provide a fair amount of Ammo Type to go with their size and clumsiness, allowing you to swap in other parts elsewhere. If you want to cut down on an LMG's reload time, though... (Also, if you miss that one shot, you're going to be jumping around frantically trying to nail the active reload, especially with some slower weapons.)

The Sight positively influences accuracy. Most of them tend to add a big chunk of accuracy, along with being fairly light (most sights are under 1kg). Snipers have the majority of scopes - the rest are mostly just completion and joke items, but they work in their own way. Kinda. Anyway, this is a good time to discuss Accuracy. Aside from the obvious (how straight your average shot will be), I am of the opinion that it also influences glancing shots; shots that show their damage in grey text, and do half damage. The higher your Accuracy, the less likely your shots will glance, and also the more likely you are to score a critical (big red numbers, doubled damage), in my experience. Guns with low accuracy will tend to have huge spreads, sometimes as big as 45 degrees up and down when you're just firing away, and they'll also somewhat frequently glance. Some weapons this matters less with - some it matters more. The choice, ultimately, is yours, whether you want to forego the sight or not.

The Stock influences accuracy, as well as being one of the larger sources of Ammo Type. Not much to say on this one. Usually heavier than a sight.

Ammunition is what comes out of the gun when you shoot it, obviously. However, the type of ammo you pick matters. I mentioned Ammo Type and Elemental affinities earlier - this is where those come into play.

There's two kinds of ammo - elemental, and specialized. These can also be combined.

Specialized first: specialized ammo affects the behavior of a bullet. The basic ammo (a single shot forward) is Soft-Point. Magnum/Large bullets are larger bullets, that push a player standing still backward, and (anecdotal, unconfirmed) tend to crit more, as well as having a larger hitbox. Lead Shot ammo fires a vertical spread, and Armor Piercing penetrates walls (but not enemy armor; it's dumb, I know). Homing ammunition homes in (duuuuuuh), Ball Ammunition bounces off walls, and I -think- Fragment ammunition fragments into smaller parts upon hitting a wall, but I haven't seen any yet. In order to use a specialized ammunition, your weapon must be compatible. The Ammo Type statistic measures how compatible a gun is with specialized ammo - at 100% or above, a weapon will accept specialized ammunition. All weapon parts can affect Ammo Type. Magnums and Machine Guns tend to favor Heavy ammunition. Sniper Rifles and occasionally Machine Guns favor Armor Piercing, and Shotguns favor Shot. Early on, at least, you'll have to assemble a weapon focused around the parts that favor a gun type in order to use specialized ammo, but I can already see that restriction relaxing in some places.

Some weapons have an elemental affinity. In order to benefit from this affinity, the ammunition must be of the same element as the gun's affinity, or else it's wasted; using non-elemental ammo in an elemental gun also wastes the affinity. The elements (that I have seen) are Caustic (Does damage even if the enemy would normally bounce the shot, except against bosses), Fire (+80% damage vs. meat), Electric (Unknown; Personal guess is extra damage vs. machines), and Cryogenic (Chance to freeze enemies in place). The weapon's POW is its non-elemental power - the weapon does this with every shot, regardless of whether or not it's loaded with elemental ammo. There is an elemental version of most of the shots, that I have seen, along with a non-elemental of every specialization.

Finally, weight.

The weight of your weapon, your installed bionic mods (walk to the left, talk to Ms. Lab Coat), your KNOIFE (you'll unlock access to this middle of Tier 1) and your backpack gear decide how fast you move. The heavier your gun, the slower you move, the more mods you have installed, the slower you move. Two mods, a spear, some grenades and medkits, plus a kitted out bringer of dakka... you'll be pretty slow. Carry just a handgun, a stiletto, no mods, and a couple of adrenaline shots, and you'll be pretty speedy. It's up to you how fast you wanna run around. I get by just fine moving at Normal to Very Slow. Your armor has no weight, and upgrading it is pure bonus.

That's... a lot of text. Not sure if it is helpful, but getting it out there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Paul Robertson worked on both.

I've only seen a couple of things he's worked on, but I am a fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En3wcFfrrGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZy5S-jUIlw

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MisterMMisterM UKRegistered User regular
    I picked this up last night and it is excellent. Hopefully the devs will continue to tweak and add missions. I love the Metal Slug games so this game just clicks with me*.

*that doesn't mean I'm any good at it!

SCII-EU: MisterM.868 // LoL-EU-West: MisterM868 // Diablo3: MisterM#2476
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MisterM wrote: »
    I picked this up last night and it is excellent. Hopefully the devs will continue to tweak and add missions. I love the Metal Slug games so this game just clicks with me*.

*that doesn't mean I'm any good at it!

It currently only has 60 missions but the devs said it will have over 100 soon.

Also, @Dalantia that guide is twelve kinds of awesome and I'm adding it to the OP.

• Options

The timed missions HAVE to stay. They'd be super boring without a little pressure and all of them have plenty of time to get stuff done; it's pretty much a joke in multi as it is. Just make sure to use your map.

I actually kind of love how you can totally fuck up your gun by willy nilly adding bits. You really have to learn how the stuff works.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm outside in the rain, sad violin music playing as I watch you all through a window. Huddled around a fire, having a grand ol' time. Pink looks up, sees me and offers a smile. I return a sad sheepish smile as he gets up, walks towards the window and shuts the curtains.

This game can't be that technically demanding, and decent laptops aren't that expensive... Hmmm.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I feel like I'm outside in the rain, sad violin music playing as I watch you all through a window. Huddled around a fire, having a grand ol' time. Pink looks up, sees me and offers a smile. I return a sad sheepish smile as he gets up, walks towards the window and shuts the curtains.

This game can't be that technically demanding, and decent laptops aren't that expensive... Hmmm.

Desktops are even cheaper and can hook up to an HDTV.

And I'd be giving you the finger, not smiling. And be nekkid.

• Options
    edited July 2013

The timed missions HAVE to stay. They'd be super boring without a little pressure and all of them have plenty of time to get stuff done; it's pretty much a joke in multi as it is. Just make sure to use your map.

I actually kind of love how you can totally fuck up your gun by willy nilly adding bits. You really have to learn how the stuff works.

If you find the "find 8-10 of these random unmarked things hidden in obscure corners of an enormous sprawling map in 10-15 minutes, and I hope you can remember where you've been before because there's no fog of war" missions to be enjoyable enough to mandate that all missions must be timed, then we have radically opposite concepts of "fun".

I do think mission timers should be either occasional or optional.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It's Monster Hunter. And without the time pressure, certain load outs would never be in danger of failure.

Edit: also, Gathering missions are for component farming, in my opinion; you don't do them for money, you d them for guaranteed material drops. Do kill and captures for money or progression.

Dalantia on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013

If you find the "find 8-10 of these random unmarked things hidden in obscure corners of an enormous sprawling map in 10-15 minutes, and I hope you can remember where you've been before because there's no fog of war" missions to be enjoyable enough to mandate that all missions must be timed, then we have radically opposite concepts of "fun".

I do think mission timers should be either occasional or optional.

Objectives are almost always marked on your map. Most of the time they occur randomly AS WELL as having set points they've been placed, such as for gathering or kill missions. And how can you not remember where you've been?

And yes, I find those missions incredibly fun. If you don't, I don't think you'll like the rest of the game because they just get harder. Really, the whole point of thiose missions os for you to learn the level layout. I like that they have missions in the game you cannot really expect to accomplish your first time trying them. That's something I really think modern gaming is severely lacking in.

edit: HOWEVER! I very much would like a Hunting Grounds type mission for every area that lets you have an unlimited time to just explore the level and collect stuff. That would help quite a bit with doing the missions. Also, I could see removing the time limit if they also removed your 3 lives so you just had the one life bar to accomplish whatever. That could be a neat option.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I. . . DAMN IT

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    yeah fuck, i looked at the trailer on steam and kind of said ok, this is a sale game, but then I looked at the thread and now I have the shakes, I NEEDS it.

but I've spent over $100 on kickstarter and other indie games this month :( Gotta put this one on hold at the very least until August

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Objectives are almost always marked on your map. Most of the time they occur randomly AS WELL as having set points they've been placed, such as for gathering or kill missions. And how can you not remember where you've been?

And yes, I find those missions incredibly fun. If you don't, I don't think you'll like the rest of the game because they just get harder. Really, the whole point of thiose missions os for you to learn the level layout. I like that they have missions in the game you cannot really expect to accomplish your first time trying them. That's something I really think modern gaming is severely lacking in.

Oh, if this is another "retro games must punish the player" game then I'm going to quickly uninstall it, since I'm already bored with that whole design shtick.

Also, missions with single objectives mark them on the map. Missions with multiple objectives (such as the "find 10 coins" or "rescue 8 hostages" ones) do not, so claiming that checking the map is a solution isn't actually good advice.

And I can't remember where I've been because the game features an enormous map that re-uses a whole ton of assets and features respawning enemies.

• Options
    edited July 2013

Oh, if this is another "retro games must punish the player" game then I'm going to quickly uninstall it, since I'm already bored with that whole design shtick.

It is. Uninstall.

Heh, I remember when "punishing the player" used to be called "giving players a challenge". You know, like that retro game Dark Souls did that everyone clearly hated.
    Also, missions with single objectives mark them on the map. Missions with multiple objectives (such as the "find 10 coins" or "rescue 8 hostages" ones) do not, so claiming that checking the map is a solution isn't actually good advice.

Except the mission tells you that the hostages are in the POW camps (although not on the quick summary during the mission which sucks) and those are two very small sections of the larger map. And all of them are in or in front of huts which is very quickly figured out. The coins are the only real you-need-to-explore-everywhere mission. But, then, that's the mission and it's not required for the later missions unlocking if I recall correctly.
    And I can't remember where I've been because the game features an enormous map that re-uses a whole ton of assets and features respawning enemies.

Don't know what to tell you. I have zero problem with it. It certainly re-uses assets but never really in the same configuration and it does help immensely to use your map more often to get your bearings if you get confused.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    The rescue multiple missions could stand to put the people on the map, or circle the area with a yellow rectangle like some of the kill missions do. The POW mission also includes a large area off to the left, and if you happen to accidentally miss a hut and a POW... well your first thought is probably going to be to start checking there.

The coin one was another one that was almost a pain in the ass. Reached the end with 9/10, and now I get the fun of combing the area on the way back. Ended up finding it almost by luck, noticing I could jump off a cliff down to a hidden nook with the last coin.

And to be honest, the map is mostly good, but it kind of becomes a pain when you start dealing with multiple rooms and the way it tries to deal with it with its multiple lines all branching off.

• Options
    The rescue multiple missions could stand to put the people on the map, or circle the area with a yellow rectangle like some of the kill missions do. The POW mission also includes a large area off to the left, and if you happen to accidentally miss a hut and a POW... well your first thought is probably going to be to start checking there.

The coin one was another one that was almost a pain in the ass. Reached the end with 9/10, and now I get the fun of combing the area on the way back. Ended up finding it almost by luck, noticing I could jump off a cliff down to a hidden nook with the last coin.

And to be honest, the map is mostly good, but it kind of becomes a pain when you start dealing with multiple rooms and the way it tries to deal with it with its multiple lines all branching off.

I don't know, the POW mission states right at the beginning that they're all in the camps. It took me a while but I knew to search those two spots and it worked out. It never occured to me to look anywhere else; if they HAD been somewhere else then I'd be pretty annoyed.

The coin one was a bitch to pass and if you don't like gathering quests like that there's really no reason to ever do them. There's no real way to make them fun for a person who doesn't like gathering stuff. I actually had to unequip my gun to change my weight to be able to fall slower so I could get the one in that weird side cave. I was lucky to be able to even figure that out. The one you mentioned was HUGELY easy to permanently miss too; there's almost no point in that level you would be in a position to even see that it's there.

Totally agree on the yellow line. But then all that stuff may be coming down the pipe.