As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Well, he was basically re-powered at the end of X3, but it seems like Singer is intent on ignoring that entire movie anyway so it probably doesn't matter.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I'm guessing that some of the details are still there, like Jean's death, but most of it is ignored.

KingofMadCows on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    Will we at least still get to see Logan having wet dreams about Jean though?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Guek wrote: »

That's in The Wolverine.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

Have you watched the trailers?

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    My first thought was Super-Skrull, but I'm not sure any of the outfits he's worn would fit.

Yeah, that was my thought as well, but then I figured that his ears would probably be visible.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy

That's in The Wolverine.

I know, that's what I'm referring to :-P

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Those are actually quite well done.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    As a tangent on all the Avengers Alliance whirligig, I'm curious, what are the best video games made for each famous comic book character?

- Batman's Arkham games were good mechanically, so I've heard?
    - Superman had the abysmal Superman 64, and I haven't heard of anything else since.
    - Spider-man's old PS1 game was kinda cool but it didn't age well. I've also heard praise for the swinging mechanic in Spider-man 2 for the PS2? Also heard that Shattered Dimension was good.
    - X-Men had Legends.
    - Flash.... doesn't have a game? Feels like he should, though.

There are also the fighting games for both camps, but quality for fighting games tend to be more subjective, I guess.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    The Arkham games are amazing, only games I've bothered to 100% in like over a decade, ( I'm old now and rarely get to game, and I still made sure to 100% both of them, including all DLC , tho the last DLC for city was pretty bleh)

I swear there was a good Superman game, but I forget what system/name of it

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is an amazing game but hard to get nowadays because was Ps2

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    The demo for Wolverine: Origins was pretty fun and I've heard good things about the full game.

I hear Deadpool has passable gameplay, so if you like the character (read: can stand listening to him for an entire game, even after he repeats his "funny" lines for the millionth time) that one might be good.

I liked the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games. I heard the X-Men Legend games were good.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Arkham games are amazing, only games I've bothered to 100% in like over a decade, ( I'm old now and rarely get to game, and I still made sure to 100% both of them, including all DLC , tho the last DLC for city was pretty bleh)

I swear there was a good Superman game, but I forget what system/name of it

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction is an amazing game but hard to get nowadays because was Ps2

Yeah, I did the 100% thing in Arkham City, including all the Riddler trophies (aaah) which I haven't done in a while. I haven't tried any of the other games though. I was looking forwards to a sequel to City, I'm not terribly interested in a prequel. The story of the Arkham games had a few elements I'd like to see followed through on.

I loved Hulk: UD too - one of my all-time fav gaming moments was finishing the last boss with a super-move with one tick of health left, as all kinds of explosions and crap were going on around me. Too awesome for words.

If you want UD substitute, the Prototype series is basically that game, but your guy is skinnier and you can give him a whip attack. Pretty sure its the same running, crushing, city destroying game engine though.

And obviously, not exactly comic related.

H9f4bVe.png
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    i have a lot of love for X2: wolverines revenge on the PS2. its a stealth/ claw em up with smell-o-vision predating arkhams detective mode by some years. most importantly the brown and tan outfit is early on in the costume unlocks. you can even play as patch!

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Spider-Man 2 definitely had the best swinging. Worth the money just for that

- Flash.... doesn't have a game? Feels like he should, though.

Don't know if this was real or fanmade, but apparently there was a Flash game in the work and it was cancelled:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrtwUQXuSXY

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Ultimate Spider-Man: The Game, was really great too

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    The only things I didn't like about Ultimate Spider-Man. We're the short length and that the swinging mechanics were dumbed down a bit from SM2

Joolander on
    Rewatched Avengers again this morning. Every time I see that movie, I get a little more annoyed at DC/Warner for failing to get their shit together.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    manji wrote: »
    i have a lot of love for X2: wolverines revenge on the PS2. its a stealth/ claw em up with smell-o-vision predating arkhams detective mode by some years. most importantly the brown and tan outfit is early on in the costume unlocks. you can even play as patch!

Plus you've got Mark Hamill doing a pretty good Wolverine.

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Rewatched Avengers again this morning. Every time I see that movie, I get a little more annoyed at DC/Warner for failing to get their shit together.

DC Comics has been with Warner since the muthafucking 1960s. That they're only now moving to a shared character movie-verse a full FIVE years after Marvel kicked off the concept with Ironman is, well, you just can't make this shit up.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Batman's Arkham games were good mechanically, so I've heard?

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City are two of the best games ever made.

• cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting bad feelings about Mark Millar's movie adaption for X-Force? I'm sensing X3 levels of badness here.

MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Ultimate Spider-Man: The Game, was really great too
    I never understand the hype for that game. Sure, it wasn't terrible, but over half of the "levels" were chasing a villain around (without falling too far behind) for like five minutes before ever actually getting to fight them.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    cshadow42 wrote: »
    Anyone else getting bad feelings about Mark Millar's movie adaption for X-Force? I'm sensing X3 levels of badness here.

The good news is he's only a consultant, not the director or writer. But I can understand your skepticism.

Considering we don't know anything about it, other than it exists and who is writing the script, I can't say I share your level of pessimism. Also, as far as I know, Mark Miller is just overseeing X-Force like he's overseeing Days of Future Past and Fantastic Four. He's basically Fox's Kevin Feige.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I have neither good feelings nor bad feelings about Fox's X-Force yet

although that may change depending on if I end up liking The Wolverine

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Considering we don't know anything about it, other than it exists and who is writing the script, I can't say I share your level of pessimism. Also, as far as I know, Mark Miller is just overseeing X-Force like he's overseeing Days of Future Past and Fantastic Four. He's basically Fox's Kevin Feige.

Except lacking the experience or talent of Kevin Feige.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Zonugal wrote: »

Except lacking the experience or talent of Kevin Feige.

Yes, but that wasn't relevant to the conversation in that Mark Miller is likely no more directly involved with X-Force than he is with Days of Future Past.

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    - Superman had the abysmal Superman 64, and I haven't heard of anything else since.

Superman Returns had a current generation game. It was pretty bland but had some really great ideas. It was an open world game so you could fly around all you wanted and instead of Superman having a health bar the city itself was the health bar. So in big fights it was more about preventing the enemies from destroying too many buildings instead of just punching them to dea...wow, that game understood Superman better than Snyder.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    One thing Superman Returns got right was the flying.

Soaring above the clouds and then stopping as the movie theme kicks in

Then you just zoom down like a bullet and then you break the sound barrier and cause a sonic boom and go faster.

Too bad everything else was awful.

CYpGAPn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    MetalMagus wrote: »

DC Comics has been with Warner since the muthafucking 1960s. That they're only now moving to a shared character movie-verse a full FIVE years after Marvel kicked off the concept with Ironman is, well, you just can't make this shit up.

See I don't think its a big deal they haven't pushed a shared movie-verse.

What's sad is they haven't made a good superhero movie that isn't Batman.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
    Yeah, I really liked the health idea in Superman Returns.

That Flash footage looks super, super rough. Fighting looks like it could have been sort of neat, but the movement looks hella awkward.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Accualt wrote: »

Superman Returns had a current generation game. It was pretty bland but had some really great ideas. It was an open world game so you could fly around all you wanted and instead of Superman having a health bar the city itself was the health bar. So in big fights it was more about preventing the enemies from destroying too many buildings instead of just punching them to dea...wow, that game understood Superman better than Snyder.

The game that has a tornado as the final boss.

Kyougu wrote: »
    Yeah, I really liked the health idea in Superman Returns.

That Flash footage looks super, super rough. Fighting looks like it could have been sort of neat, but the movement looks hella awkward.

I loved the health idea in Superman Returns, they should play around with that more. It really makes you Superman when saving the world and protecting others is more important than not getting hurt yourself.

The Flash footage was a very early build. In the comments the developer explains how they were dealing with interesting problems. My favourite was that in the first version Flash was moving so fast, he was outrunning the assets.

noir_blood wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »

The game that has a tornado as the final boss.

Clearly came to finish the job it started with Pa Kent.

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    Hulk:Ultimate Destruction is still one of my favorite comic games. Every time I play prototype I wish someone would make a sequel.

Has there ever been a decent handheld comic game? If someone links a Tiger electronics thing I swear

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    the DS spider-man shattered dimensions game was a pretty alright metroidvania type game

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    MetalMagus wrote: »

See I don't think its a big deal they haven't pushed a shared movie-verse.

What's sad is they haven't made a good superhero movie that isn't Batman.

It's less about the shared universe concept and more "we're using our successful brands as launch pads for as many of our other characters as possible."

Iron Man was kismet, a fresh take by a director excited about the property + an actor who is literally Tony Stark and a lot of things came together to make Iron Man a really good comic book movie. Building off of that success, seeing what they had and going all-in is why we're where we're at now.

We're having a discussion about the Marvel movies in the Public Grievances, but essentially everything between Iron Man and Avengers is fair to ok. Sure you'll get some people who love the "Rocketeer" vibe of Cap, or the nuances of Thor's heroes journey, but on the whole I think we all can agree these were good, competent movies but nothing really all that special. Had they been stand-alone projects they probably would have done similar business, maybe even all earn their sequels, but Marvel would not have the third highest grossing movie of all time nor would they be in the production phase for Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dr. Strange, and whatever else they're cooking up.

I mean, DC hasn't exactly been shy about making movies out of some of their lesser properties, we got a Swamp Thing movie and Jonah Hex came out just a few years ago. But, since those movies really weren't any good, they were non-starters. Just like the abysmal Catwoman movie and the obnoxious Green Lantern. They just withered on the vine.

If Thor had royally stunk up the place Marvel might have recast the role, but he'd still be in Avengers and that success would have breathed new life in the character. Want proof? Look at Hulk. Ang Lee's movie was a dud and the sequel with Norton was ok, but such a production nightmare that they essentially swore off Hulk movies. Until he's the break-out star of Avengers and now Ruffalo is signed to something like a 6 picture deal.

It's a support system for their characters that DC just never committed to, despite having decades to try, and now they're desperately trying to play catch-up. How do we not get at least 1 Wonder Woman movie when she's THE most iconic female superhero in the world? After Avengers broke a billion, how many nights did DC/Warner execs wake up with night terrors when they remembered that Joss Whedon tried like hell to get a Wonder Woman movie off the ground? Can you believe we're getting two completely different versions of Quicksilver on the screen before the Flash gets one?

I still can't believe we're getting Agents of SHEILD, a tv series that runs concurrent with the movie franchises of the MCU. It's like the promise of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles finally fulfilled. This could be one of the biggest things to ever be on network TV. Yet, we've had two successful Superman tv shows and nothing more ever came out of them. Maybe we'll see more out of Arrow, but I'm not putting any money on it.

MetalMagus on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    What makes all of that even sadder is it was done by an upstart studio. WB should have had a much easier time of pulling off a similar plan considering they have their own TV station and plenty of experience making movies.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Cronyism is already pretty rampant in Hollywood but it seems to be worse with WB. Their execs are mostly out of touch and have little idea of what they're doing when it comes to their comic book properties.

This discussion has been closed.