As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Make a new thread already.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Nothing wrong with a bit of humor in patch notes, do you have a better explanation for male characters wearing female clothing than wanting to feel pretty?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    I'm personally not a big fan of gender-only clothing. All my characters should be able to feel pretty!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I am happy that with many of the new outfits, both men and women can wear versions of it.

But they really need to make a male version of the many exotic dancer outfits.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    There is, it's called the covert armor. Unless you want a male exotic dancer outfit with nipple tassels or something.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    There is, it's called the covert armor. Unless you want a male exotic dancer outfit with nipple tassels or something.

Don't judge me

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

That's only the top. It's the bottoms I'm referring to.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Banana hammocks. Banana hammocks everywhere.

488W936.png
    edited July 2013

Also I just remembered that the exotic dancer tops all have a loin-cloth sort of thing that covers the bottoms, so a male version would have that as well.

The bottoms of those outfits are always just bikini bottoms, which they haven't yet made for dude-kind. I suspect they never will make anything so revealing as a speedo, but c'mon, they should get some short-shorts at least.

Cambiata on
  • Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    "Revered Chronicler's Armor Set has been added to you Collection"

Why, thank you @Cambiata

Why, thank you @ Cambiata

The price of the datacubes has dropped dramatically since the armor set was revealed, so I actually feel a bit bad about mentioning it the moment I found out. At least on Jedi Covenant, you can buy most of them for like 5k each now.

edited July 2013

The price of the datacubes has dropped dramatically since the armor set was revealed, so I actually feel a bit bad about mentioning it the moment I found out. At least on Jedi Covenant, you can buy most of them for like 5k each now.

40k and up here. For the new ones. Older ones seem to be 100k and up. (Which makes no sense)

[edit] Speaking of which ... Uploaded.
    300-800k for story content is a bit rich IMO. Even/Especially if it's basically skits.
    [edit2] I'm on The Red Eclipse.

Commodore75 on
  • YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »

Banana hammocks. Banana hammocks everywhere.

Well, this could make mine and Dux's idea for a Banana Hammock wearing Sith Marauder a reality.

Pureblood.

BT3.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I still would love armor similar to Covert but covers the body in Sith Tattoos or other body art.

Shadarous (my red twilek with marked lekku) seems nakkid with a clean body.

newSig.jpg
  • kmzkmz Registered User regular

Really? I'm on Jedi Cov and had to pay a premium for the ones from the last pack. (300k+ each.) The new ones were all cheap though.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    What do the datacubes do again?

Owenashi wrote: »
    What do the datacubes do again?

There are 8 datacubes which, when consumed, let you watch a series of recordings on Nar Shadaa. After watching each recording you get a choice between a major XP or valor bonus. After you watch all 8 of them, you get the Revered Chronicler's Armor Set. (though you get it as a reward box which I understand you can't open unless you have a sub. That may be why the price on JC is so low for datacubes).

(though you get it as a reward box which I understand you can't open unless you have a sub.
    Close, but no. The problem is that, like a credit lockbox or a random item lockbox, you cannot receive the box as a quest reward unless you are subbed.

(though you get it as a reward box which I understand you can't open unless you have a sub.
    Close, but no. The problem is that, like a credit lockbox or a random item lockbox, you cannot receive the box as a quest reward unless you are subbed.

You can actually totally receive credit lockboxes

But not any other kind of lockbox, so yeah

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

You can actually totally receive credit lockboxes

But not any other kind of lockbox, so yeah

Not from quests you can't. I can get boxes fine from slicing, but I can't pick any kind of lockbox as a quest reward. It's really dumb and I don't know why they would do something like that.

Woah, hey, was there an emergency patch or something today? Between this morning and now, the SWTOR launcher has decided it needs to download stuff.

*ding* ... Lemme check. Oh, my. Legacy level 49!

Less than 750,000 legacy points to level 50 (and 1h cd for personal starship).

• kmzkmz Registered User regular
    Woah, hey, was there an emergency patch or something today? Between this morning and now, the SWTOR launcher has decided it needs to download stuff.

Yeah, there was a game client patch that was supposed to fix some crash to desktop bugs introduced with this week's maintenance.

edited July 2013
    Well, I wouldnt' have died if I had received more heals, so clearly it's the healers fault.
    And obviously I wouldn't be pulling agro if the tank was taunting everything, constantly, so clearly it's the tanks fault if anyone attacks me.
    And why should I use this Ion thingy when I do more damage with either of the other two options?
    Also, I wouldn't need a poop socket if the tank would just attack already. What are we waiting for?!? Fuckit! I'm going in...
    And why should I kill the wimpy weak/silver/gold/healers, when I can spend the entire fight hitting this big bad boy?

But in all honesty, I've been almost exclusively tanking lately, and that last one is the one I'm having the most problems with.
    The weakest enemies tend to be the last ones standing.
    I get that as a tank I can point at the enemy we are focusing fire on, and just watch the damage dealers go to town, while I throw out an occasional (aoe) taunt ... but not when the dps is jumping on the gold/champion first.
    It's like people don't read the the manual. ;)

I'd like to expand on this a little.
    First
    As a tank I see it as my function to
    1) Stay alive. (defensive buffs, health packs ... threat dump)
    2) Keep enemies off the healer(s).
    3) Keep the stronger enemies focused on me. (Since I have more mitigation than others.)
    4) Interrupting the strongest enemy.
    5) Apply debuffs. (Including binding/slowing enemies.)
    6) Deal some damage.

In that order. (#1 is the same for all roles.)
    Is there something I'm missing?

Secondly
    What should the kill order be?
    As far as I understand, there are two schools:

1) Tank point to where dps should focus their fire, and uses (AoE) taunts to keep any other enemies off the healer. And the damage dealers basically "follow" the tank.

2) Damage Dealers kill
    a) Enemy healers
    b) enemies that are providing buffs (including, but not limited to shields) Note: There are (many) exceptions to this rule in boss fights.
    c) Weak enemies
    d) Strong enemies
    e) Elite enemies (Preferably focusing fire on the same Elite.)
    f) Champions (Preferably focusing fire on the same Champion.)
    ... while the tank tries to keep the stronger enemies off the healer. (And where possible, also off the dps.)

Or am I mistaken?

Commodore75 on
    As a general rule I prefer tanking to other roles, but lately the pugs have been so bad I've been queuing as DPS and just waiting. (I have the gear and can respec in the field).

To be honest, I only picked up tanking because I wanted to learn more about the mechanics of the game. Same reason I started healing before that.

While I haven't tried mDPS, my heart is with (r)DPS.
    I just want to be better at it.
    Which to me involves better understanding tanking.

Plus, it's kinda fun at times.
    But when enemy healers, and weaker enemies are constantly the last ones standing ... that's when I'm thinking about simply going back to dps.

To be honest, I only picked up tanking because I wanted to learn more about the mechanics of the game. Same reason I started healing before that.

While I haven't tried mDPS, my heart is with (r)DPS.
    I just want to be better at it.
    Which to me involves better understanding tanking.

Plus, it's kinda fun at times.
    But when enemy healers, and weaker enemies are constantly the last ones standing ... that's when I'm thinking about simply going back to dps.

This is great, actually. I think everyone who is really in to the game should experience every role. It makes you better at all of them.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    assuming you're competent at all, playing a tank for a while will wind up making you really contemptuous of bad tanks

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Same thing goes for a healer too. You can pretty easily see when the other healer is not pulling their weight.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    OK, OK ... but I'd still like to hear your oppinions on
    am I right in thinking that as a tank my primary tasks are to
    3) Keep the stronger enemies focused on me. (Since I have more mitigation than others.)
    6) Deal some damage.

Or is there something I'm missing?

And also, What should the kill order be?

1) Tank point to where dps should focus their fire, and uses (AoE) taunts to keep any other enemies off the healer. And the damage dealers basically "follow" the tank.

2) Damage Dealers kill
    a) Enemy healers
    b) enemies that are providing buffs (including, but not limited to shields) Note: There are (many) exceptions to this rule in boss fights.
    c) Weak enemies
    d) Strong enemies
    ... while the tank tries to keep the stronger enemies off the healer. (And where possible, also off the dps.)

What do you prefer, and why?

6) Deal some damage.

Sounds right, though tanks should never be using threat dump unless they're in an op doing a tank swap.

There should also be an awareness for how weak or strong your healer is, and calling for CC when it seems necessary (and not breaking it), though that's not a tanking only thing.

Also, tanks should generally be facing bosses away from the raid, where possible. If you know which bosses have a cleave or conal attack you can just face those away and leave the rest, but if you don't know the abilities of the boss you're on it's good general practice to face it away from everyone else.

2) Damage Dealers kill
    a) Enemy healers
    c) Weak enemies
    d) Strong enemies

I'm not sure I'm seeing how those are two schools I guess, they seem part and parcel of the same plan.

As a tank I make as much effort as I can to get all the mobs grouped together - for more effective AOEs and because it makes it easier to hold group threat. On Guardian, I only have my one push so if more than one mob is immobile I'm stuck on tanking fewer at a time. On Shadow there's the mass push back which is very helpful. Vanguards have the lovely pull.

Once the mobs are all together though, if the DPS doesn't have AOEs to use then I would expect them to go for weak or healers first, then the harder mobs.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Ran S&V last night with a really good random group finder team. That was a really fun OP with some cool fights.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Ran S&V last night with a really good random group finder team. That was a really fun OP with some cool fights.

Its a pretty solid raid, I think TFB remains my favorite, but S&V is a close second.

edited July 2013
    never mind, apparently 16 min is too long for youtube.
    I'll try later.
    Regarding PvP

Ever wondered why you're suddenly loosing objectives (pylons, canons, bunkers...)?
    It's because Guarding the objective is BOOOOOORING!!!. No one want's to stand around (for 7-16 minutes), waiting to be attacked/stunned.
    Seriously, it's really boring, so jump forward to 07:27

P.S. Ever wondered why you're suddenly capturing objectives your team have given up on?
    It's because Cathar Tanks out-dps Marauders who are calling in reinforcements.
    Meaow!
    I Love This Game™

Commodore75 on
  • AcharenusAcharenus Registered User regular
    I prefer being the last to leave and being yelled at to stay and defend...as a healer. Really motivates me to support my team.

6) Deal some damage.

Sounds right, though tanks should never be using threat dump unless they're in an op doing a tank swap.

Unless I'm with people I know and truest (i.e. guild members) I take rule #1 very seriously. To the point where I'm not above doing a threat dump.

I know it can wreak havoc, and that it's possible to manage even with one party member down, and that there's in-combat rev . . .
    But things tend to go a little better if people actively actually try to stay alive, and don't just leave that up to the healer (before breaking LOS ;) )
    Obviously threat dumps is an absolute last resort for a tank. When you have too many enemies targeting you, taunts off cd (so you can taunt enemies as they start targeting the healer), and when you're health has been too low and decreasing for too long...
    There should also be an awareness for how weak or strong your healer is, and calling for CC when it seems necessary (and not breaking it), though that's not a tanking only thing.
    ++
    And marking CC(!!!).
    And if people are marking focus fire target, please let it be known which marker is focus fire.
    Also, tanks should generally be facing bosses away from the raid, where possible. If you know which bosses have a cleave or conal attack you can just face those away and leave the rest, but if you don't know the abilities of the boss you're on it's good general practice to face it away from everyone else.
    Good point.
    I try to always do this, simply because I want clear visual clues if the big guys start targeting anyone other than me.
    Which obviously leads to people complaining about me being one meter further away than needed (since this one doesn't have a frontal cleave/conal attack).

2) Damage Dealers kill
    a) Enemy healers
    c) Weak enemies
    d) Strong enemies

I'm not sure I'm seeing how those are two schools I guess, they seem part and parcel of the same plan.
    Yeah, not real clear. Sorry.
    #1 dps target the same enemy as the tank.
    #2 Tank round up as many of the big hitters as possible, and leave the medics and weaks to the dps (who work according to the mentioned list).
    As a tank I make as much effort as I can to get all the mobs grouped together - for more effective AOEs and because it makes it easier to hold group threat. On Guardian, I only have my one push so if more than one mob is immobile I'm stuck on tanking fewer at a time. On Shadow there's the mass push back which is very helpful. Vanguards have the lovely pull.

Once the mobs are all together though, if the DPS doesn't have AOEs to use then I would expect them to go for weak or healers first, then the harder mobs.

I realized that I was probably speaking mainly of SM FP:s without actually saying so.
    Where people can't be bothered to set up CC, and communicate whether or not AoE will be used, and where. (If there's one guy over there and five here, cc there, and aoe here. Don't .... oh, fuck!!)
    I guess option #3 (not in order of preference) is to round up the enemies and aoe them down.
    Does require dps to let tank round people up, LOS breaking, etc.
    I've seen very little aoe (in SM FP:s) lately, now that you mention it. Weird.

Acharenus wrote: »
    I prefer being the last to leave and being yelled at to stay and defend...as a healer. Really motivates me to support my team.

I've seen you! Multiple times!
    I like guarding the pylon with you.
    But then people start yelling that we don't need two guarding ... and since guarding is boring...

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I don't say stuff like this often, but I'm pretty confident in saying that outside of some extremely specific circumstances, if you're using your threat dump as a tank in TOR, you are flat-out doing it wrong, period.

In nearly all of the operations fights, especially on hard and nightmare modes, a tank dying is recoverable. Losing a DPS almost never is.

Tanks dumping threat in flashpoints is wholly unnecessary, and tanks doing it in operations will probably wipe the raid.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I haven't tried a healer build yet because I'm terrified of being bad at it and ruining a flashpoint.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I haven't tried a healer build yet because I'm terrified of being bad at it and ruining a flashpoint.

It's not that bad. It can be less complex than Damage Dealing.
    Resource management is usually the challenge.
    Once you figure that out, all you need to know is which fights have something that needs cleansing (and when it's OK to cleanse), and to try to talk people out of breaking line of sight (LOS).

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Is there a good key to bind that 'heal specific target' ability too? I'd be less afraid to try healing myself if I knew of a better key to use for it then the End button.