As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, July 23, 2013 - Assessment

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited July 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Assessment

Assessment
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/assessment

When people call it ‘a dream job’

Anonymous

I used to test games for a living.  When it comes up in conversation, people say “Oh my god, what a dream job!  What was it like?”  I respond with this:

What’s the worst game you’ve ever played?  Now imagine playing that game for 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, for 6 months, in a language you don’t understand.  Also, parts of the game are broken and nobody believes you when you tell them; they instead respond to your claims like you’ve just slapped their child.  By the time you convince them that the game is legitimately broken, it’s too late to fix the game because it’s “Crunch time”, so you’re working 70 hour weeks but you’re probably going to be laid off when the game ships.

But, it’s better than a ‘real’ job!

Geth on

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I hope he brought his gun.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I hope the next strip is Cora's dad kicking ass. And then taking names. Etc.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Now I need to know what Bruce's (that's his name right?) workstation looks like. Is it a complete desk and computer and everything mounted upside-down on the ceiling?

It could be a normal workstation and he just chills on the ceiling during breaks, but I'm hoping for the upside-down workstation so we can contemplate which office items don't work that way. An infrared mouse is probably a requirement, for starters.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Now I need to know what Bruce's (that's his name right?) workstation looks like. Is it a complete desk and computer and everything mounted upside-down on the ceiling?

It could be a normal workstation and he just chills on the ceiling during breaks, but I'm hoping for the upside-down workstation so we can contemplate which office items don't work that way. An infrared mouse is probably a requirement, for starters.

The mouse would dangle when not in use. A trackball-style would work better because it could be anchored

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I think for this, they need an old priest and a young priest.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah, it'd have to be a trackball. Everything else you could mount upside down. All his paperwork would need to be in drawers.

Look it's not practical. I'm just saying.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for him to pass out from all the blood rushing to his head.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping he just has everything on a really high desk, and trained himself to do everything with his hands flipped up instead of down.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I'm hoping he just has everything on a really high desk, and trained himself to do everything with his hands flipped up instead of down.

And he doesn't really ever produce any meaningful product because he thinks he's a bat and the project management is insufficient to really assess their performance.

That'd be pretty in keeping with our expectations here.

What is this I don't even.