As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Ultimate Marvel] thread

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I still need to read Spider-Men but was the Cullen Bunn Wolverine miniseries any good?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Hmmm, not totally sure how I feel about this news. It still seems like (hope) that the Ultimate Universe isnt going to end / merge with 616 as Bendis keeps teasing USM 200, and taking away Miles' supporting cast / home seems like it would take away from his character (also Bendis probably doesnt want to deal with sharing characters / continuity), but they definitely have done a good job of seeming like they might end it, specially with bringing the team that started the ultimate verse.

Man, I really hope they keep the Ultimate verse and keep it separate.

wirehead26 wrote: »
    I still need to read Spider-Men but was the Cullen Bunn Wolverine miniseries any good?

It was pretty good yeah. Quicksilver and Jimmy were written really well.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    also:
    http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.com/post/55910766644/you-say-there-will-be-multiple-ongoing-ultimate-books
    Question: You say there will be multiple ongoing Ultimate books this time next year; Alonso won't confirm that there will be an Ultimate panel next SDCC. You guys on the same page?

Breevoort: Those two statements do not conflict.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I would not be surprised if Ultimate Spider-Man continued to be called that even if it jumped to the main Marvel U

CYpGAPn.png
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Well I mean Bendis was asked "How would you have done the Ultimate universe differently" and he said "wait and see", which to me implies they are going to do they Ultimate universe differently.

He also said the equivalent of "wait and see" regarding whether there would be an Ultimate universe panel at next year's SDCC which to me implies there's no guarantee that there will be an Ultimate universe in a year.

For the record Bedis didn't say wait an see in response to "How would you have done the Ultimate universe differently". It was closer to "What specific thing would you have done differently about the Ultimate Universe".

Anyway I'm gonna bet Ultimate Spider-man will continue on in the universe and they'll do some mini series'

Quire.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I would not be surprised if Ultimate Spider-Man continued to be called that even if it jumped to the main Marvel U

Yeah, I'd be surprised if they didn't keep calling it Ultimate Spider-Man.

Also, in reference to earlier, here's what Amazon.com has for Ultimate TPB's.
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol. 1 - #1-5
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Vol. 2 - #6-10
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis - Volume 3 - #11-18
    Ultimate Comics Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis - Volume 4 - #16.1, #19-22
    Ultimate Comics Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman - Volume 1 - #1-6
    Ultimate Comics Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman - Volume 2 - #7-12
    Ultimate Comics Ultimates by Sam Humphries - Volume 1 - #18.1, #19-24
    Ultimate Comics Ultimates by Sam Humphries Volume 2: Disassembled - #25-30
    Ultimate Comics X-Men by Nick Spencer - Volume 1 - #1-6
    Ultimate Comics X-Men by Nick Spencer - Volume 2 - #7-12
    Ultimate Comics X-Men by Brian Wood - Volume 1 - #18.1, #19-23
    Ultimate Comics X-Men by Brian Wood Volume 2 - #24-28

Ultimate Comics Divided We Fall, United We Stand
    -Ultimate Comics X-Men 1#3-18,
    -Ultimate Comics Ultimates #13-18,
    -Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #13-18

As you can see, they basically skip a volume for both X-Men and Ultimates (but not spider-man) which I wouldn't mind, except the Spider-Man issues are included in the big book, which I also wouldn't mind EXCEPT it's missing two issues if you skip the volume 3 Spider-Man trade. :D

So there's still one more volume of both Spider-man and X-men before the Hunger/Cataclysm events.

Im still saying relaunch again, but we'll see.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Im still saying relaunch again, but we'll see.

Soft relaunch.

Whatever happens, it will impact Miles story as little as possible. Bendis is very confident in setting up a direction and future storylines right now, and he would be the first to know if he was writing a dying book. It just doesn't feel like a book rushing toward a conclusion or even significant reboot.

And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see it become the last remnant of the Ultimate line. They could leave it an oddball remnant until Bendis is finished with it, or it could be used as the hub for future spin-offs.

I wouldnt have an issue if Ultimates went back to "Volumes" / single contained "epics"

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Yeah, I liked the movie style of the first two

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I think we're going to end up with Ultimate Spidey sticking around, and then another general "Ultimate Universe" title that comes out at an accelerated pace.

A fan asked if Cataclysm and the breaking-down of walls between universes will tie to Infinity and New Avengers at all. Alonso said, "read those two stories. You're making the right kinds of connections. There is something in the air there, it seems."

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    well
    fuck

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    If the New Avengers blew up the Ultimate Universe to save the regular universe....

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    If the New Avengers blew up the Ultimate Universe to save the regular universe....

Then I'll be sad that Ultimate X-Men is over.

Not about anything else though.

H9f4bVe.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So it looks like the main Ultimate ongoings are going on "hiatus" during Cataclysm, and are being replace by three Cataclysm tie-in minis starring Spider-Man, X-Men and the Ultimates. Another sign to either ending the universe or a reboot.

And we know why Galactus is so hungry and violent now:
    He has merged with the Gah Lak Tus swarm who have both empowered him and now act as his heralds.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Agh. The disregard of Ultimate continuity burns.
    Chitauri and Kree don't look like that. Chitauri have elongated dragon-like faces and the kree are spindly fish-frog people. I guess they probably wanted the chitauri more in-line with the movie version and they do shapeshift, but the kree didn't need to become identical to the 616 race. Come on, artist.

H9f4bVe.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Well, wasn't Mar-Vell able to take a humanoid shape with his badass costume in the Ultimateverse?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I think it was said that he only looked human on account of some sort of plastic surgery?

edited July 2013
    I think it was said that he only looked human on account of some sort of plastic surgery?
    Nah, he had shapeshifting powers. He got hacked in the Utimate Doom trilogy and turned into a big monster. Also he was forced to take his normal Kree form in the Ultimate Gah-Lak-Tus.

And iirc, we never saw a Chitauri in it's native form. The closest was a dead one that looked like it was stuck between transformations and was all deformed. And didn't fantastic four retcon the Chitauri as being a terrorist faction of the Ultimate Universe Skrulls, who look like 616 Skrulls?

Undead Scottsman on
    Sportsman has it right.

Quire.jpg
    Mar-vell had some kind of technological enhancements that let him take human form, they could be hacked and switched off. He had them to infiltrate Earth, there's no reason why a startship crew would all have them for a fight out in mid-space.

Here's the chitauri from Ultimates that was killed and reverting:

Chitauri.png

To me it sort've looks like the human 'skin' is falling apart and the true chitauri is bursting out of it, and its got a long reptilian head. There were also chitauri depicted in Ultimate Avengers animation, and they look somewhat based on alien reptiles.

Dunno about that Ultimate Skrulls thing, though the chitauri in Hunger do look skrull-ish. It makes sense if they're going to push the chitauri as a new major alien threat post-Avengers film. They want to get them lots of exposure and lock down a visual style for them.

H9f4bVe.png
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I really liked Hunger, Fialkov writes a great Rick Jones

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Mar-vell had some kind of technological enhancements that let him take human form, they could be hacked and switched off. He had them to infiltrate Earth, there's no reason why a startship crew would all have them for a fight out in mid-space.

Here's the chitauri from Ultimates that was killed and reverting:

Chitauri.png

To me it sort've looks like the human 'skin' is falling apart and the true chitauri is bursting out of it, and its got a long reptilian head. There were also chitauri depicted in Ultimate Avengers animation, and they look somewhat based on alien reptiles.

Dunno about that Ultimate Skrulls thing, though the chitauri in Hunger do look skrull-ish. It makes sense if they're going to push the chitauri as a new major alien threat post-Avengers film. They want to get them lots of exposure and lock down a visual style for them.

Its just as Scottsman said. The Chitari have already been retconned to be a small group of Skrulls and the look of ultimate Skrull matches up with the new appearance.

There is no continuity problem.

Quire.jpg
    Man, that image is more disturbing than I remember.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So hunger is an Ultimate ongoing for now until Cataclysm? Just want to know if I should be buying the singles or the trade.

cardboard delusions on
    It's a miniseries as far as I know.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    it's 4 issues

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    That image up there is what I would expect if Beta Ray Bill got pummeled into mush.

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    So I found Hunger #1 preeeetty underwhelming. Galactus is such an amazing character and the book did him no justice. There was no sense of scale. And also Rick James is annoying as all hell.

Amigu on
    BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Amigu wrote: »
    So I found Hunger #1 preeeetty underwhelming. Galactus is such an amazing character and the book did him no justice. There was no sense of scale. And also Rick James is annoying as all hell.

Cocaine is a powerful drug.

Jones*! Haha Jones*!

QEz1Jw1.png
    Amigu wrote: »

Well I mean first of all Galactus was only in the issue for a couple of pages, and all he did was choose his herald. And not entirely sure what you mean of sense of scale, but part of the thing they are trying to go for is the Ultimate Universe is a lot more empty space civilization wise than the 616 (due to Gah Lak Tus being not a "cosmic force" and instead just consuming as many planets as it can).

I thought it was great and really was respectful to previous history in the Ultimate verse

(and preview for #2 is out http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=17490)

In other Ultimate issues, Ultimates #28 was really great! Fialkov has shot himself up on my favorite Ultimate Writers list (especially in contrast to Humphries being before him). I can't wait to see how this arc ends.

(also judging from a Q and A he did on the cbr forums, sounds like he has a lot of plans for the Ultimate verse, so it doesnt seem like it'll be ending after Cataclysm. http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?462157-Questions-for-Joshua-Fialkov!

edited August 2013
    I mean that you don't really have much to measure Galactus's and the Gah Lak Tus swarm's size against. They could be normal person size. They don feel gigantic.

Take for example Moebius' Galactus in the one shot he did with Lee. You get a way better sense of scale due to all the tiny building Moebius draws. I know it's in space and I know that I can't expect Moebius levels of details but that's what I'm getting at. @Munch did a pretty good post on space fights and scale/dynamics somewhere.

As for being respectful if the Ultimate Universe. I haven't really read enough of it to notice. I did get a feeling that I might have been more into it if I'd known more about the Ultimate Universe though.

Amigu on
    QEz1Jw1.png
    Have they said whether Cataclysm is having a bi-monthly schedule yet? I mean it is Bendis and Bagley.

It is five issues in three months.

It is five issues in three months.

Yeah that figures.

Cataclysm solicits,
    http://www.nerdist.com/2013/08/comic-book-day-brian-michael-bendis-and-josh-fialkov-talk-cataclysm/

Fialkov is writing the X-Men tie in for the event as well as the ultimates, with bendis writing the event/spider-man. Two issues in november.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    the Ultimate Universe, which is much more grounded and science-based versus the Marvel Universe’s broader fantasy element.

Oh come on. I can't believe they said that without laughing, even in an interview.