As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mercenary Kings] - Ask Me About My *NERFED* Trombone Gun

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    All I know is they need to patch in controller customization as soon as possible.

Game seems really fun, but it's kind of hard to play with my logitech controller. I will use 360 buttons as a comparison. My jump button is currently X. B to shoot. A to roll and Y to knife. I am constantly rolling into pits or jumping instead of shooting.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    All I know is they need to patch in controller customization as soon as possible.

Game seems really fun, but it's kind of hard to play with my logitech controller. I will use 360 buttons as a comparison. My jump button is currently X. B to shoot. A to roll and Y to knife. I am constantly rolling into pits or jumping instead of shooting.

Ouch.

I found this on their forums tho. Does it help?
    I tried using Joy2Key and CE for my Logitech USB controller, but neither worked, since the game brews up its own config file for the controller. In my case, the configuration file that it created was a bit off, so I had to go into the config file within the Steam directory (I think it was Steamapps\common\Mercenary Kings\Config\[Name of Controller]) and manually adjust the controls that way.

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    For the record - mission fail means only that you don't get the bonuses for completion. You keep all components that you got during the mission.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Heh, I remember when "punishing the player" used to be called "giving players a challenge". You know, like that retro game Dark Souls did that everyone clearly hated.

I also remember when "giving players a challenge" wasn't found in pretty every single new indie game. But it's fun to pretend it's still some rarity or something.

Anyway, I'm still mostly enjoying this game, but then again I'm a sucker for Metal Slug.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Heh, I remember when "punishing the player" used to be called "giving players a challenge". You know, like that retro game Dark Souls did that everyone clearly hated.

I also remember when "giving players a challenge" wasn't found in pretty every single new indie game. But it's fun to pretend it's still some rarity or something.

Anyway, I'm still mostly enjoying this game, but then again I'm a sucker for Metal Slug.

It's a design choice and not some gimmick.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm

Wasn't Metal Slug like stupid hard tho? Or was that just the fourth one?

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Metal Slug is hard, but there's not usually a time limit. Arcade game, so technically unlimited lives, too.

Yeah, only problems I really have...need to mark things on the map better, although the map itself is pretty good. There needs to be a 30 second delay before guys respawn, popping up as soon as they're off screen is painful sometimes. Giving you enough time to run through that area twice while searching is fine. Definitely need to be able to configure controls.

Is the roll invincible, or just a dash? Can you type/talk in game? I know you can send messages with the triggers. They should at least give two sets, one for each trigger.

I'd really like a true pause button for single player games.

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Is the roll invincible, or just a dash?

You still take (some) damage while rolling, not sure if it's less than or the same amount you'd take just standing there. Rolling through enemies makes you take some really small amount of damage as well.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I don't know how I did it or what stat governs it, but I apparently made a gun that fires with enough of a kick to actually knock me back about a pixel. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Roll has a moment of invincibility. It's not the entire roll, but there's a moment where you take no damage. And most guns firing Magnum ammo have that kind of kick.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Is the roll invincible, or just a dash?

You still take (some) damage while rolling, not sure if it's less than or the same amount you'd take just standing there. Rolling through enemies makes you take some really small amount of damage as well.

There are invulnerability frames in rolling, and later on there's actually a bionic mod that increases how many there are.

To address earlier concerns, this game is hardly punishing. I'm most of the way through Lieutenant and I've only had trouble completing a few missions... on my first try, solo. Builld a decent gun and focus on moving and getting to objectives and you'll be fine.

Alternatively, use the game's extremely easy drop-in drop-out multiplayer. When I was playing with four people, all of the missions seemed like I had about 2-3x as much time as I needed to complete objectives, and we spent significant amounts of time just dicking around and shooting soldiers in their stupid blood balloon faces.

Also, if you don't mind being kind of slow, bring C4 to every mission if you don't find yourself needing adrenaline shots or whatever other healing items. It's heavy, but it is really nice to be able to get into secret areas or, in the skyscraper level, get anywhere.

Do we have a steam group going for this?

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Gave it some time tonight:

- Not a fan of the time limit when playing alone. Maybe relax it a tiny bit for solo play?
    - Knife attacks should go through shields. It's sooooo boring waiting for those shield baddies.
    - The delay before jumping has to go. I have no idea why it was put into a platform game.
    - Gun creation screen needs to show all statistics. It's not showing what kind of firing mode the gun has, nor how many bullets per burst, etc etc.

I hope this gets LAN play.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    I agree with all of those points.

I bought the parachute mod...it doesn't seem to do anything. It's installed, but do I have to hit a button to activate it?

uyvfOQy.png
    Lanrutcon wrote: »

- Not a fan of the time limit when playing alone. Maybe relax it a tiny bit for solo play?
    - Knife attacks should go through shields. It's sooooo boring waiting for those shield baddies.
    - The delay before jumping has to go. I have no idea why it was put into a platform game.
    - Gun creation screen needs to show all statistics. It's not showing what kind of firing mode the gun has, nor how many bullets per burst, etc etc.

The time limit is only a concern when playing solo. Playing multi they may as well not even have it on there. I still love it.

Jumping delay is mitigated by lowering your weight I think. Otherwise I got used to it very quickly; I've seen it in several other platform games so it doesn't bother me once I knew I had to adjust for it. I'd rather have the delay then the super loose jumping of, say, Rogue Legacy.

The gun creation screen is bugged. The little firing animation display in the bottom right does show some of that but I'd rather it be in text.

The time limit is only a concern when playing solo. Playing multi they may as well not even have it on there. I still love it.

Jumping delay is mitigated by lowering your weight I think. Otherwise I got used to it very quickly; I've seen it in several other platform games so it doesn't bother me once I knew I had to adjust for it. I'd rather have the delay then the super loose jumping of, say, Rogue Legacy.

The gun creation screen is bugged. The little firing animation display in the bottom right does show some of that but I'd rather it be in text.

Aye, I meant relax the time limit when in a solo game. For multi it should be fine.

Capture.jpg~original
    I didn't have a problem with the time limit. But now I reached the skyscraper.

Yeah, it's gotta go.

Between its expansive layout and the elevators you have to wait forever for, and needing C4 but ridiculously only being allowed to carry one at a time... I ran out of time on the hostage rescue mission because although I systematically went through every room, I apparently missed 1 hostage, leaving me only one minute to try and find where I missed it. The only saving grace that didn't make that an utter waste of time was that you at least get to keep your materials if you fail.

Just change the dynamics. Have a timer, but have it counting up, and reward a bonus if you're fast (which I think they already do anyways). People who want to speed through can, and everybody else can relax and take their time.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Jump delay is indeed lowered by lowering your carried weight. This includes your gun, your bionic mods (which do weigh quite a bit), and your carried equipment. You also gain a great deal more control over yourself in the air at lower weight. Equipping something other than your gun is a good, fast way to test this (and to make jumps you otherwise can't)

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)

Ouch.

I found this on their forums tho. Does it help?
    I tried using Joy2Key and CE for my Logitech USB controller, but neither worked, since the game brews up its own config file for the controller. In my case, the configuration file that it created was a bit off, so I had to go into the config file within the Steam directory (I think it was Steamapps\common\Mercenary Kings\Config\[Name of Controller]) and manually adjust the controls that way.

Damn, was pretty hopeful about this but it didn't work for me. Still has weird controls when I start the game up.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Okay this time I got the controls to change, but apparently the numbers in the config didn't line up with the numbers on my actual controller because everything is all wrong. Start is left click.

Maybe I'll just wait for a patch.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Maybe give Motioninjoy a shot? I use it to use a dualshock 3 on my PC, but I imagine any USB gamepad would work. Plus you can set the thing to emulate a 360 pad, and then change the buttons in that further if they don't line up.

Maybe I'll try it later. No rush really, I just bought it now because it was on discount. I don't mind waiting until the game is actually finished.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    I didn't have a problem with the time limit. But now I reached the skyscraper.

Yeah, it's gotta go.

Between its expansive layout and the elevators you have to wait forever for, and needing C4 but ridiculously only being allowed to carry one at a time... I ran out of time on the hostage rescue mission because although I systematically went through every room, I apparently missed 1 hostage, leaving me only one minute to try and find where I missed it. The only saving grace that didn't make that an utter waste of time was that you at least get to keep your materials if you fail.

Just change the dynamics. Have a timer, but have it counting up, and reward a bonus if you're fast (which I think they already do anyways). People who want to speed through can, and everybody else can relax and take their time.

See, if they changed it so I had to go faster to get a bonus, I would absolutely hate this game yet having a time limit that makes me have to do the entire mission again if I don't make it I'm fine with. Which is odd. But I like the idea of having to learn a layout to achieve the mission goals. I really enjoy games that I actually have to get better at (that's not a dig by the way although it sure sounds like it).

Maybe I'll try it later. No rush really, I just bought it now because it was on discount. I don't mind waiting until the game is actually finished.

I think that's gonna be quite a while tho.

edited July 2013

Aye, I meant relax the time limit when in a solo game. For multi it should be fine.

There does need to be some little more help in the solo stuff like, say, being able to find watches or something that give you time back but, in multi, they actually need to drop the time limit; I'd even say by 50%. As is it's completely ineffective at doing anything.

And remember the time limit only matters until you succeed at a mission. Then you know what you're doing and it's unlikely to ever matter again, even in solo (except for those damn find-the-boss battles).

ALSO

You know how the characters on the title screen have completely random guns? I just saw one where Empress' gun was just a fat cat she was holding sideways.

want that gun

Magic Pink on
    I am now toting around a deadly fish knife (not a knife to cut fish, but a fish that I hit people with, knife-style) and trombone-shaped shotgun that shoots balls of fire.

I officially take back every bad thing I've said or implied about this game.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I <3 AP ammo + sniper rifle

I can fire one shot through cover and go pick up loot a couple screens away from some mook I never knew was there.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I just built a spread gun...it's glorious. Only problem is, I can either have two shots that murder everything, or 32 shots that fill the screen completely but do no damage...

uyvfOQy.png
    I dig small clips + big damage + range. Also: non-automatic. I don't like wasting shots.

When do you unlock more color schemes?

Capture.jpg~original
    Even after that wonderful write up posted earlier, I'm still barely wrapping my head around the gun system. It seems completely counter-intuitive that you can make some guns objectively worse by attaching a magazine to them. I think it's the Bulldozer frame that I really noticed this. It has something like a default 60 bullet capacity. Adding any mag at all will tank both the capacity and the damage, even the official Bulldozer clip. Some frames need the mag or else it's only got one shot, and others should be kept far away from a mag, and it doesn't seem like there's a logical rhyme or reason as to why.

If nothing else, one thing they could really stand to do is to organize your frames by type and power, not alphabetically. It also doesn't tell you what type of gun it is, even though it does in the shop menu. You kind of just have to guess by the picture and rate of fire. But properly cataloging your collection would probably help a ton with the confusion.

I dig small clips + big damage + range. Also: non-automatic. I don't like wasting shots.

Every time you earn a new rank. The notice looks exactly like the "Talk to the commander" notice after every mission, so you may have missed or ignored it. You might have more colours unlocked already. :)

Every time you earn a new rank. The notice looks exactly like the "Talk to the commander" notice after every mission, so you may have missed or ignored it. You might have more colours unlocked already. :)

Ah...I should go check.

Thoughts on magazines: you don't make guns objectively worse with magazines, you essentially just sidegrade em. The general rule seems to be that the magazine splits the gun damage across the entire full magazine. So if a gun does 5000 damage per magazine, then a 5 round magazine does more damage per round than a 200 round magazine. The type of magazine (sniper, assault, etc) also seems to play a role (which I can't quantify exactly atm), so low capacity sniper magazines generally create guns with absolutely insane damage per round.

That's just my experience with it, I might be completely wrong due to only having played the game for 4 or 5 hours so far!

Capture.jpg~original
    Hmm...

I was going to play around with the system a bit more before I went to bed to try and replicate some of the thing I mentioned, and now I can't. A Bulldozer with no mag has 1 shot, and equipping the Bulldozer mag tweaks the reload and weight, but otherwise keeps the damage the same while adding 60 shots.

I think I have an idea what's going on. I remember reading about how there's some bug involving the mags and such, usually involving multiplayer. How it could randomly get turned off or something. Plus, what the system sometimes does is auto equip a mag of the same name if you have it. But it's random. It'll auto equip the Bulldozer mag if I pick the Bulldozer frame, but it won't for the Freedom Fighter frame.

All I know is this. I swear I saw a situation where taking off the mag kept the capacity the same, and improved everything else. But I think I'll rescind my complaint and chalk it up to a bug.

Looks like there was another update today but I can't tell what it did.
    Interested in Behind-The-Scenes, WIP, Art and Influences on Mercenary Kings?
    We have a tumblr where we post behind-the-scenes stuff, art or other things that are an influence on the game:

http://blog.tributegames.com/

We update it a couple of times a week. Hope you enjoy!

Just crash fixes apparently. I guess there was one that would crash the game if there were no more missions to unlock. AKA: Beating the game (or what's there so far). :)

Weight doesn't seem to change until you change areas. I found this out while testing my new gun...which is a hand cannon with a trombone barrel that fires buckshot everywhere, and each bullet does as much damage as the gun I was using before this. It also has a scope, for some reason.

uyvfOQy.png
    I am close to building a new shotgun of doooooom. Lovin this.

Capture.jpg~original
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    My approach for the skyscraper hostage rescue misssion:
    A bullet can free hostages so armor piercing rounds can save you some time scrambling around the map.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    A bullet can free hostages so armor piercing rounds can save you some time scrambling around the map.

I don't get why you can only carry 1 piece of C4. That's just mean.

Capture.jpg~original
    GONG-00 wrote: »

I don't get why you can only carry 1 piece of C4. That's just mean.

cause they're heeeeeaaavvvvvyyyyy

/whine

Weight doesn't seem to change until you change areas. I found this out while testing my new gun...which is a hand cannon with a trombone barrel that fires buckshot everywhere, and each bullet does as much damage as the gun I was using before this. It also has a scope, for some reason.

Scopes make your shots travel straight rather then randomly at an angle and decrease the chance for a shot not to do full damage (the grey numbers)