As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

• Options
    whuppinswhuppins Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OK, that's two people who have mentioned how a tank will generate aggro/threat from being hit, instead of rage. Is this just a mistake or is there some innate thing about taking damage that generates threat that I don't know about? Aside from reflective damage and talents/skills that proc on being hit, of course.

whuppins on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No, but their threat generation is directly related to how much rage they generate, which is directly related to how much damage they take.

Reduce the damage taken and they may not be able to hit an extra sunder, and maybe the priest who had a renew ticking pulls agro and gets pasted.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I always check a warriors rage bar before I PW:S him. You should never shield a warrior before they run in to tank something.

You can PoM them though - the heal they get generates aggro for them and not you, which is nice.

Medopine on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    whuppins wrote: »
    What about rage? (Edit: AFAIK, being hit doesn't generate threat for the tank -- only hitting the mobs)

Being hit does generate rage. That's one of the reasons why a protection tank attacking a level 70 regular mob won't generate rage as fast as the same tank attacking a level 72 boss. The tank is hitting the same (or for less) on the boss, but he's getting hit a hell of a lot harder.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    whuppins wrote: »
    OK, that's two people who have mentioned how a tank will generate aggro/threat from being hit, instead of rage. Is this just a mistake or is there some innate thing about taking damage that generates threat that I don't know about? Aside from reflective damage and talents/skills that proc on being hit, of course.

With Warriors and Druids being hit will lead to rage being generated which will be converted to threat. However, with Paladins, incoming damage will indirectly generate threat. SA (our ability that turns healing into mana) will generate threat at .5 threat for each point of mana gained.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Being hit does generate rage. That's one of the reasons why a protection tank attacking a level 70 regular mob won't generate rage as fast as the same tank attacking a level 72 boss. The tank is hitting the same (or for less) on the boss, but he's getting hit a hell of a lot harder.

gear is an issue also.

I remember pre-bc all the raiding end game tanks would complain how they cant generate rage in 5 mans. I never understood it. Now that I am one of those types of people, i can tell you that it is true. All the work done to become un-crushable, like increasing the chance to dodge and be missed(moar defense) makes it difficult to get (opening) aggro. So when you say you will help a guildmate get keyed for karazhan or whatever, so people know you are an endgame tank so they think they can go dps heavy, and factor in all the gear they have gotten with you and you will find yourself having to taunt constantly.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's even worse when people start pulling agro off you. Your rage takes a shit, and there isn't ANYTHING you can do to get agro back. Taunt helps some but it's on a cooldown and is single target only.

I generally ask people to not CC mobs on 5 mans if the healer can handle the work, because the extra rage from tanking multiple mobs makes the job a whole lot easier.

xzzy on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    I generally ask people to not CC mobs on 5 mans if the healer can handle the work, because the extra rage from tanking multiple mobs makes the job a whole lot easier.

I ended up asking the hunter on add duty in the black morass group to leave an add or two and thunder clapped them onto me.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Lately I've been getting the healing itch again, but everytime I mention it (Hey guys I can respec to fill the last healing spot for this kara run) my friends are like NO GOD NO SHUT UP MANA BATTERY.

A year ago I would have never dreamed of a day when people would beg me NOT to go healing spec.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I get told to stay heal spec, but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I've taken a lot of T5 grade loot and it would be pissing away a huge amount of the guild's investment into me.

xzzy on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    Lately I've been getting the healing itch again, but everytime I mention it (Hey guys I can respec to fill the last healing spot for this kara run) my friends are like NO GOD NO SHUT UP MANA BATTERY.

A year ago I would have never dreamed of a day when people would beg me NOT to go healing spec.

You know, I think that after raiding as a resto Druid way back when, I have had that itch scratched until the skin wore off. I really have very little desire to play a healing class. Shadow is so nice.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Simjanes2kSimjanes2k Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SanderJK wrote: »
    I was wanting to add, it's not that great. Being well geared, a capable raider and a good enough raid leader is not so great when you are pretty much only raiding to get to the bosses that can get actually get you stuff. I'm tired of gearing up others, it makes you a lot more irritatable about others underperforming.

I'm the best geared shadow priest on the server (Yay craftables) and have been raiding with my guild since the start of the expansion. My guild has always been casual and what not. Now we're still doing karazhan. We've not downed mag, we've done a single successful 25 man raid in the past month (Who doesn't love gruul?). And I'm stuck as the raid leader, and only shadow priest. I love my guild, I love the people in it. But having no one on to play with when I sign on to start raids is getting frustrated. Combine that with the number of invites I've gotten to other guilds and I'm starting to get really conflicted.

The best geared shadow priest on your server uses craftables?

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I can relate to that. Although I remember when our only option was healing, so I won't say I'm torn up about being "forced" into shadow. :p

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    poisnedcokepoisnedcoke Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Simjanes2k wrote: »
    I was wanting to add, it's not that great. Being well geared, a capable raider and a good enough raid leader is not so great when you are pretty much only raiding to get to the bosses that can get actually get you stuff. I'm tired of gearing up others, it makes you a lot more irritatable about others underperforming.

I'm the best geared shadow priest on the server (Yay craftables) and have been raiding with my guild since the start of the expansion. My guild has always been casual and what not. Now we're still doing karazhan. We've not downed mag, we've done a single successful 25 man raid in the past month (Who doesn't love gruul?). And I'm stuck as the raid leader, and only shadow priest. I love my guild, I love the people in it. But having no one on to play with when I sign on to start raids is getting frustrated. Combine that with the number of invites I've gotten to other guilds and I'm starting to get really conflicted.

My server is rather backwoods, we have no one in BT and no bosses down on Hyjal. When my trinket (Crusade card) rolls and my gear is equipped correctly I'm at 1281 shadow damage. Actually in all honesty I don't know for a fact that I'm the best geared (I know of one guy who has me beat by 5 damage, but he's not played for about a month and some change and won't be playing for this semester), but I am better geared than any shadow priest in the top 4 guilds. Which is all I bothered to check. Regardless the point is: My guild sucks, but I love them. I rock, but hate wiping in Gruul and never killing magtheridon because people fucking can't play a video game.

poisnedcoke on
    I'm trilltastic, trilldacious even!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Simjanes2k wrote: »

My server is rather backwoods, we have no one in BT and no bosses down on Hyjal. When my trinket (Crusade card) rolls and my gear is equipped correctly I'm at 1281 shadow damage. Actually in all honesty I don't know for a fact that I'm the best geared (I know of one guy who has me beat by 5 damage, but he's not played for about a month and some change and won't be playing for this semester), but I am better geared than any shadow priest in the top 4 guilds. Which is all I bothered to check. Regardless the point is: My guild sucks, but I love them. I rock, but hate wiping in Gruul and never killing magtheridon because people fucking can't play a video game.

Wow, that seems odd. I'm maxed on craftables as well, but I'm nowhere NEAR top of the server. I think it's rather unusual for a spec/class in such high demand (basically required 1 or 2 per raid) that they don't get more loot love in top end guilds.

On the note of hating people who suck at video games, a story:

My guild has been stuck on Gruul with no expeditions into SSC or The Eye or Magtheridon, Kara cleared. We are stuck on gruul because many of our DPS people refuse to use consumables or work on gear, and would rather level four or five alts at a time. Thusly, our average DPSer puts out around 400 DPS during a ten-fifteen minute pull. That is very VERY bad. The GMs and officers didn't seem to be doing much about it, and who can really blame them? It's not that easy of a problem to fix without drama. So I tried to get all of the raiders interested in progression rather than farming easy loot.

When I threw out the idea of using WWS to help find our raid's problem areas, I was accused of attempting to call out individuals and cause drama. Keep in mind I have never done that sort of thing in real life or in-game, and since I've raided with these people for a VERY long time, you'd think they'd know that's not the sort of thing I would do. I never even got a chance to track a raid's stats OR make any kind of post on the guild forums about raids.

Nonetheless, in the middle of that night's raids, it was announced that anyone posting raid numbers on the forums would be removed from the guild no questions asked. That was about enough for me. I don't play WoW to farm gear for two or three months at a time, and I CERTAINLY don't play WoW to have raid strategies and results be kept a secret from the actual raiders. So I left, as did my mage g/f, who were the top two DPSers in the guild. Since then, a few days ago, several more people have left, basically related to that incident: the main tank, 4th tank, main pally healer, a drood healer, and another DPS at least.

I can't say that I'm sad to see them crashing like that, it seems that when leadership stalls, growth will still occur in raiders, even if it means in another guild. Myself, I may choose one of my alts to make my main. I just don't know if I can throw away the work I've done on my priest so easily. I really like shadow preestin. :(

Anyhow, sob story over. I know whatcha mean about raiding with people who seem either lazy or stupid.

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Our guild got stuck on Lurker/Void Reaver for mostly the same reasons, except in our case, to many people simply are sloppy. To many take a cleave to face, or a spout, or to many void reaver orbs.

The shadowpriest dilemma is that crafted gear is on-par with tier5 and equivlant drops because +crit means nothing to them, and almost everything has +crit, or , alternatively, has to many +hit. All i really care about is spelldamage, then stamina, then int (and keeping that 6% +hit going).

This means, that if you get stuck in kara/gruul, whatever, for a while, you'll pick up all the stuff you need (prince dagger, cloak of dalaran,wand from aran etcet), and once you've optimized your gear, the chances of drops are much reduced. VR dropped his cowl once for us, but i felt bad taking it, because i would bank it until I also got pants of the same quality, because I did not want want to break spellstrike bonus for 10 spelldamage.

Now i'm at 1172 shadowdamage, with a blessings trinket, and the spellstrike set, and raidrole wise, i got very little to complain about. I'm practicly begged to come. But i would like some kit to look forward too.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I take back everything I said a couple months ago about CoH. SSC tonight was so much fun. I swear the instance was designed with the intent of making CoH worthwhile.

exis on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Is this the point where I get to say "I told you so"?

It's really useful in TK too.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    For reference: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Durotan&n=Grimhand

Alright, so a question for the Shadow Priests out there. I did Mag for the first time tonight, and I was really having trouble keeping my mana up. I was chugging pots, using my shadowfiend, and had weapon oils, yet I was still OOM about 40% of the fight. The first phase really hurts, because targets are switched about every 20-30 seconds. I'm thinking that I have a lot of wasted mana, because my DoTs have to be re-applied too often (I was running OOM by the 4th add).

Anyhow, is it a gear problem? Should I just not refresh my DoTs after the initial cast? I was doing great on the DPS meter (4th, until going OOM) against people who are far better geared than I, and I've not really had mana problems before (I was fine for Gruul). Any advice?

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Better gear would help.

The more damage you can do, the more mana you (and everyone else in your party) will regen. I mean, I know that trinket has mp/5 on it, but +healing? C'mon.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    1. Upgrade your gear.
    2. Don't refresh swp if you're killing mobs in under 30 seconds, just refresh VT.
    3. Level up enchanting.
    4. Enchant your gloves with spell damage. Enchant your helm with shatar revered spell damage (I see you're just honored, work on that!).
    5. Mark of Defiance is one of the best shadow priest trinkets pre-heroics and what not. Absolutely wonderful for an under-geared shadow priest, and not too hard to obtain.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also I'd suggest tweaking your build to include some points in Mental Agility. (Imp MB, for exampe, is not totally necessary for raiding).

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also I'd suggest tweaking your build to include some points in Mental Agility. (Imp MB, for exampe, is not totally necessary for raiding).

2 points in it isn't bad. 4 is way too much. When you have 4 poitns there you're going to be mind blasting more often as well, and be more mana inefficent. If you have VT up and a ton of damage it isn't a bad idea, but having as little spell damage as he does the returns aren't worth the mana inefficency.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh, holy shit. Medo's comment about your spec made me realize, you are probably losing a shit ton of mana from having to recast resisted spells. Your hit rating is way too low. With 5/5 in Shadow Focus, which you don't have, you still need an additional 76 spell hit rating to have your spells not be resisted by level 73 mobs.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Alright, so better gear. Going to pick up 5/5 shadow focus. I will not cast DoT's when I know the duration is short. I've had terrible fucking luck with getting another trinket, so the MP/5 is about the only redeeming value from that oldass DM trinket.

Better gear was pretty much a given. But I can't really do anything about that immediately.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I've had terrible fucking luck with getting another trinket, so the MP/5 is about the only redeeming value from that oldass DM trinket.

Read my post. No luck involved.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I've had terrible fucking luck with getting another trinket, so the MP/5 is about the only redeeming value from that oldass DM trinket.

Yes, but then I would have to PvP. Alliance outnumbers Horde 2:1 at least, on Durotan. I suppose that could be something that I'd try for, but I'm not going to hold my breath. =/

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited August 2007
    if you wait 10 days, all you have to do is take the 3 towers, once a day.

BlueBaron on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yay two piece t5 :D

exis on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Alright, so better gear. Going to pick up 5/5 shadow focus. I will not cast DoT's when I know the duration is short. I've had terrible fucking luck with getting another trinket, so the MP/5 is about the only redeeming value from that oldass DM trinket.

Better gear was pretty much a given. But I can't really do anything about that immediately.

Uh, you have tailoring and enchanting.

There's no luck involved and it all can be done "immediately". Just don't be lazy.

Get spellstrike. Enchant your rings. Fix the enchants on your bracers and gloves. Get the heroic off-hand and trinket.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Yes, but then I would have to PvP. Alliance outnumbers Horde 2:1 at least, on Durotan. I suppose that could be something that I'd try for, but I'm not going to hold my breath. =/

That makes it better, it means there's more people there to kill. Look get 5 people together and then just zerg rush two people at a time. Do this 16 times and you have a trinket. It'll take you three days at worst.

And do what Gork said, but that goes with fixing your gear I suppose.

poisnedcoke on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gork wrote: »

There's no luck involved and it all can be done "immediately". Just don't be lazy.

Get spellstrike. Enchant your rings. Fix the enchants on your bracers and gloves. Get the heroic off-hand and trinket.

Whatever you do, do not enchant your rings. At least, not any time in the very near future. They're nerfing the material costs of ring enchants to very very low amounts, since they're self-only.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    korodullin wrote: »

Whatever you do, do not enchant your rings. At least, not any time in the very near future. They're nerfing the material costs of ring enchants to very very low amounts, since they're self-only.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lolwut

I just hit 360 enchanting today, and was gonna farm up money for mats to chant my rings, like tomorrow. You may have saved me a bunch of cash here... what's this news from, next patch or what?

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    enchantchanges.jpg

next patch

exis on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Getting at least the spellstrike crown would take me 40 days, on my own. Realistically, it'd be about 10. Even then, I have to farm up the mats, and the vast majority of my time is devoted to raiding. The reason I haven't gotten enchanting to 375, is because the expense is way more than I have to spare right now. That'll probably be changing sometime soon.

Shadow Power does not exist on my server. Is there another glove enchant that would be just as good/better for me? Same with bracers. What would be better than +int? I've looked over WoWhead and haven't seen much (I suppose, I could get Spellpower).

As far as heroics are concerned, this priest is only keyed with KoT (Hello, alt!). So, no it doesn't look like I can expect any significant upgrades in the next day or two (hence, immediately).

EDIT: AFAIK, the Subtlety enchant for cloaks doesn't exist either on my server. I would kill some babies for it.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait till the patch, use the ring enchants to level up. It'll be 20g/point or so.

In the meantime, if you need gold, hit the Legion Hold Warlocks in Shadowmoon Valley. VT, SW:P, VE, on to the next mob. shield if your hp gets low, fiend if your mana gets low, and drink once per 2,3 mins. Depending on gear, how busy it is (It supports up to 3 people grinding), you can make 100-150g/hour.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Spell damage to gloves and to bracers.

And yeah hold off on the ring enchant for now.

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Getting at least the spellstrike crown would take me 40 days, on my own. Realistically, it'd be about 10.

You're in a raiding guild now, right? Ask on your forums all the other tailors in the guild if they have cooldowns available to make spellcloth or if anyone is willing to trade spellcloth for shadowcloth/primal mooncloth. Gather/buy the mats, send them off, and you have what you need. And don't just get the cover. The set procs all the damn time and is amazing for shadow priests.

You say the vast majority of your time is devoted to raiding and you have no time to farm?

That doesn't really make sense. You have to farm consumables and gold for repair bills to raid. If you're living off reserves right now, you will find them rapidly depleted.

Spell power is vastly better for both your bracers and gloves, especially if you are having mana problems. Assuming a normal damage rotation, 7.69 +dmg = 1 mana/5.

Gork on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    exis wrote: »
    enchantchanges.jpg

next patch

i love you so, so much

Simjanes2k on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Getting at least the spellstrike crown would take me 40 days, on my own. Realistically, it'd be about 10.

You're in a raiding guild now, right? Ask on your forums all the other tailors in the guild if they have cooldowns available to make spellcloth or if anyone is willing to trade spellcloth for shadowcloth/primal mooncloth. Gather/buy the mats, send them off, and you have what you need. And don't just get the cover. The set procs all the damn time and is amazing for shadow priests.

You say the vast majority of your time is devoted to raiding and you have no time to farm?

That doesn't really make sense. You have to farm consumables and gold for repair bills to raid. If you're living off reserves right now, you will find them rapidly depleted.

Spell power is vastly better for both your bracers and gloves, especially if you are having mana problems. Assuming a normal damage rotation, 7.69 +dmg = 1 mana/5.

Well, my thing is that I have about an hour before raids are called, and virtually no time after. That's just enough time for dailies. Sure, right now I'm making ~60g a day, with more dailies to unlock for me soon. But I have to lay down 15g minimum on Mana pots, 10g for Mana Oil, 5g for Dreamless Sleep, and probably about 15g+ on repairs. So, that is about 45g alone. I'm not saying that I'm not making money. I'm just not making enough to whip out 10 Pieces of Spellcloth, a ton of Primals, mats to level enchanting, and other miscellaneous things.

Really, my first post (not the one you responded to) was about quick fixes, and I got pretty good answers about things I could do. Also, the spec advice helped quite a bit. I've respecced to a much more raid-oreinted build. Yes, I'm working towards getting a Spellstrike hat, and leveling enchanting. But both of those things are going to take a good chunk of time and money. I don't foresee either of those in my immediate future, but more as long-term goals. More to the point, I don't want to start asking people I've known for two days for a shit-ton of favors. It's a bit rude, and I don't want to be labeled as a free loading begger during my trial period. Anyhow, I pretty much assumed that they would help me gather up the mats, just not today.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
This discussion has been closed.