As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Temporary Employment Conundrum

DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
So, backstory: I was laid off from my job in early June and have since applied to and started the hiring process with several counties (I was a Probation Officer). However, this can take months to finally get in. I've also applied to a few near minimum wage jobs as a way to limit my gap in employment. I was recently notified I was invited to an interview for one of these jobs. Also of note: I'm receiving unemployment. My question is: is there a way to bring up my current job search without immediately disqualifying me? I ask because if I got this minimum wage job, I've already got a few dates booked for interviews and tests, I refuse to miss those, as the job prospects are too great.

I was thinking of telling them I had a 4 year degree and was only interested as a short term prospect, as I will be continuing to pursue these opportunities I already have set in motion. Or something like that.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Hm. That's a tough call.

Honestly, I wouldn't bring it up. If they ask (I can't imagine why they would), it's probably best to be honest about it - but I wouldn't proactively volunteer the fact that you're just looking for a short stint. Most employers would likely put you on a backburner at best.

Also, be sure to check what the scoop is with your unemployment checks. Many places more or less stop sending them once you get a job, and that can screw-up your budget if you're not prepared for it.

With Love and Courage
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    The only reason I want to bring it up soon Is because I have several appointments I can't miss within the next few weeks and it has to be brought up at some point. Meaning I'd either be asking right after getting hired how to request days off or trying to get out of shifts.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    They probably won't hire you if you tell them it's just short term. Between training and resources to hire somebody it's a net loss for them to hire somebody they know is going to quit as soon as possible. Even in a high turn over field.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I've always been a fan of putting it out there as part of the hiring. I've got appointments during these dates for a personal financial matter I have to keep. Is that going to be a problem?

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if this is viable in your location but the major employer here specifically hires people for just the summer/winter in their distribution center. It's actually significantly better than minimum wage with the mutual understanding that the job is jot permanent.

Any place doing that where you live? Look for places that are unusually busy at this time of year. Might be an option.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So, for a near minimum wage job, it depends. One argument is don't expect much of them because they won't expect much of you. Most people don't intend to take minimum-wage jobs for long-term employment, so the fact that you are looking for other jobs kind of goes without saying. Get the job, and work your schedule around your job search / tests / other interviews. If they won't grant the time off...well, quit. The problem is that can screw with benefits.

The other option is to just be up-front about it. Tell them you are taking the job for short-term employment, but don't know when you'll be leaving. You will need dates X, Y, and Z off, and you may have other dates in the future you also need to take off. They may not care, and you can make some money and avoid a gap in your employment history. They may put you on a shift (evenings / midnights) where it won't affect your other responsibilities.

Realistically, even if you only work a few hours a week somewhere you can still put it on your resume and avoid any gaps in employment history. That said, find out what getting a job will do to your benefits. The small downside to a gap in your employment history may be worth taking instead of a major cut to your unemployment benefits and loss of time / flexibility to search for a permanent position. You may also be able to enroll in a class or something that will give you an alternate explanation for that gap - instead of being 'out of work and unable to find a job', you 'seeking additional training / learning additional skills'.

zepherin wrote: »
    I've always been a fan of putting it out there as part of the hiring. I've got appointments during these dates for a personal financial matter I have to keep. Is that going to be a problem?

This seems like a good way to word it. Maybe ask them how flexible their scheduling is?

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Drakeon wrote: »

This seems like a good way to word it. Maybe ask them how flexible their scheduling is?

Depends on the manager, and weather they are resistant to the idea of you getting time off.

Drakeon wrote: »

Depends on the manager, and weather they are resistant to the idea of you getting time off.

Yeah, I realize that it potentially shoots me in the foot. But I don't see a whole lot of other options, as I do not want to quit a week after getting the job. I figure it's better if I don't get it in the first place if they're resistant to the idea.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'd be completely up front and honest about everything.

For a couple of reasons:

1) You're getting benefits. So, if you don't get the job, you'll still be able to put something resembling food on the table.

2) If you do get an interview for the better job and they ask what you've been doing in the meantime, you can tell them the truth, as well. The fact that you would go into a low-end job interview being up front an honest should play well in the higher-level interview. It shows you're genuine and not interested in potentially screwing someone over for personal gain.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    First off, depending on what you were making, going to work for minimum wage could end up netting you less money than unemployment. I am all for people going out and getting a job, but you paid into a system that is meant for you to use it. The purpose of it is to give you some money to pay the bills while you find another job in your field.

That being said, if you do go in for some interviews, you might find it hard to get hired. You are way over-qualified to flip burgers or whatever. The hiring managers know that you are going to cut and run the moment you get offered a better job. If they are still willing to hire you, just let them know that you are unavailable at certain dates and times up front because you have a prior commitment. The "why" you are unavailable is none of their business.

“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    at least back in 2003 in NJ, you can still work and collect unemployment so long as you made under a certain amount when you combined the two

camo_sig.png