As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel] - NOW What?

ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
COSMIC EVENTS!

INFINITY2013004_Gen.jpg

TEEN HEROES

BLO_YA.jpeg

BABIES?!

skottie-young-marvel-now-cover.jpg

GERIATRICS??

MVLNOWWHAT001.jpg

Titles out now:

- UNCANNY AVENGERS - W - Rick Remender, A - John Cassaday
Following the events of AvX, Captain America begins his quest to create a sanctioned Avengers unit comprised of Avengers and X-Men, humans and mutants working together... and just in time for the return of the Red Skull, now seeking to eradicate the mutant race.

- A+X
Get ready for action-packed stories featuring team-ups from your favorite Marvel heroes every month! First, a story where Wolverine and Hulk come together, and then Captain America and Cable meet up! But will each partner’s combined strength be enough?

- ALL-NEW X-MEN - W - Brian Michael Bendis, A - Stuart Immonen
Thrown forward in time, the original five members of Xavier's School are now stuck in the present. How can they change a future that to them seems worse than even the Days of Future Past? How will the current heroes react to seeing these teenage versions of themselves, including their departed friend Jean Grey.

- IRON MAN - W - Kieron Gillen, A - Greg Land
Tony Stark—Iron Man: Technological visionary, wealthy playboy, unparalleled engineer, and armored Avenger. His greatest invention becomes his greatest mistake. Iron Man must act fast…and Tony Stark must build faster! The lethal techno virus Extremis is out in the wild and out for grabs to the highest bidder! It’s up to Tony Stark to contain it and that means creating a new suit of armor…NOW!

- THOR: GOD OF THUNDER -W - Jason Aaron, A - Esad Ribic
Throughout the ages, the gods of the Marvel Universe have been vanishing, their mortal worshippers left in chaos. NOW! the Mighty Thor follows a trail of blood that threatens to consume his past, present and future selves. The only hope for these ravaged worlds lies with the God of Thunder unraveling the gruesome mystery of the God Butcher!

- INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK -W - Mark Waid, A - Leinel Francis Yu
Hulk - Indestructible force more weapon than man. Banner – smartest man alive. Combined they are the Strongest, Smartest Weapon on the planet! And NOW! the INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK is an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.!

- DEADPOOL -W - Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan, A - Tony Moore
Dead former United States presidents, from George Washington to Gerald Ford have been resurrected, and that’s BAD. The Marvel heroes can’t be the ones to stop them, someone is needed with the reputation, skills and plausible deniability to take out these com-monsters in chiefs...NOW! is the time for Deadpool… In Wade We Trust!

- CAPTAIN AMERICA -W - Rick Remender, A - John Romita Jr.
Thrust into a bizarre, inhospitable world far from home, the all-new, high-adventure, mind-melting, tough-as-nails, sci-fi, pulp-fantasy era of Captain America is NOW! With no country and no allies, what’s left for the Sentinel of Liberty to protect? The Saga of Dimension Z begins here!

- FANTASTIC FOUR -W - Matt Fraction, A - Mark Bagley
Four adults. Two kids. One “car.” NOW! begins a journey through all of infinite time and space.

- X-MEN LEGACY -W - Simon Spurrier, A - Tan Eng Huat
Legion, the most powerful and unstable mutant in the world and son to Professor Charles Xavier, has killed gods and reshaped the face of the universe. NOW! in the aftermath of Avengers vs. X-Men, Legion will finally attempt to conquer his demons and embrace his father’s legacy!

- FF -W - Matt Fraction, A - Mike Allred
We have seen the future and it will be fantastic! In the absence of the Fantastic Four, a substitute Four, hand-picked by the real deal--Ant-Man, Medusa, She-Hulk and Miss Thing--stand ready to guard the Earth and the nascent Future Foundation for four minutes... NOW! what could possibly go wrong?

- AVENGERS ASSEMBLE - W - Kelly Sue DeConnick, A - Stefano Caselli
New Creative Team with issue 9!

- THUNDERBOLTS - W - Charles Soule, A - Jefte Palo
Led by General “Thunderbolt” Ross, AKA the Red Hulk, this hand-picked team of like-minded operatives is going to make the world a better place…by all means necessary.

- AVENGERS - W - Jonathan Hickman, A - Jerome Opena
The greatest heroes in comics together on one unbeatable team! The Avengers “go large,” expanding their roster and their sphere of influence to a global and even interplanetary level. When Captain America puts out his call - who will answer? Big threats, big ideas, big idealism - these are the Avengers NOW!

- CABLE & X-FORCE - W - Dennis Hopeless, A - Salvador Larroca
Cable is back! With a new X-Force at his side, he must tackle the threats that nobody else can know about. But just who are Cable’s new recruits, and why is his team public enemy number one? Caught red-handed at the scene of a terrorist attack on a major American corporation whose CEO has expressed anti-mutant views, the X-Force is the run, with none other than the Uncanny Avengers in hot pursuit.

- AVENGERS ARENA - W - Dennis Hopeless, A - Kev Walker
Trapped on an isolated island, 16 superhuman young adults (including cult faves like members of the Runaways, The Avengers Academy and Darkhawk) are given a chilling ultimatum by their demented captor, Arcade: Fight or die…only one will walk out alive! Welcome to Murderworld.

- UNCANNY X-FORCE - W - Sam Humphries, A - Ron Garney
Psylocke and Storm lead a new team of outcasts and scoundrels, including fan-favorite Puck, the villainous Spiral, and the mysterious Cluster. The first adversary to strike out from the darkness? X-legend BISHOP!

- NEW AVENGERS - W - Jonathan Hickman, A - Steve Epting
To prevent the collision of our universe with another, the Illuminati, led by the Black Panther, must assemble NOW! It's the most powerful and brilliant team in the Marvel Universe--The Black Panther, Iron Man, Doctor Strange, Black Bolt, Mister Fantastic, Namor the Sub-Mariner and The Beast--against an infinite legion of parallel realities.

- SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN - W - Dan Slott, A - Ryan Stegman
THEN!...Peter Parker spent a lifetime living up to the responsibilities his powers foisted upon him but his Amazing story finally ended dramatically in the historic Spider-Man #700. NOW!...The new Amazing Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger...Superior.

- SAVAGE WOLVERINE - W/A - Frank Cho
Wolverine awakes to find himself transported to the Savage Land and labeled public enemy number one! With no memory of how he got there, and Shanna the She-Devil his only ally, Logan must unravel the mystery that slumbers at the heart of the Savage Land before it finds a way to kill him first

- YOUNG AVENGERS - W - Kieron Gillen, A - Jamie McKelvie
Legacy isn't a dirty word... but it's an irrelevant one. It's not important what our parents did. It matters what WE do. Someone has to save the world. You're someone. Do the math. Reinventing the teen superhero comic for the 21st century, by uniting Wiccan, Hulkling and Hawkeye with Loki, Marvel Boy and Ms. America.

- GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - W - Brian Michael Bendis, A - Steve McNiven
Move over Avengers…the Guardians got this. Star-Lord. Gamora. Drax. Rocket Raccoon. Groot. …and the Invincible Iron Man?! The Marvel Universe just got bigger as the legendary cosmic epic returns.

- NOVA - W - Zeb Wells, A - Paco Medina
Sam Alexander is a kid bound by the gravity of a small town and a father whose ridiculous, drunken fairy tales about a “Nova Corps” were just another heavy burden in a life full of them. But luckily for Sam Alexander…soon gravity won’t even matter. And those troubles? It’s like they’re a billion miles away. See the origin of the new hero who debuted in AvX!

- UNCANNY X-MEN - W - Brian Michael Bendis, A - Chris Bachalo
In the wake of the Phoenix, the world has changed and is torn on exactly what Cyclops and his team of X-Men are – visionary revolutionaries or dangerous terrorists? Whatever the truth, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Magneto, and Magik are out in the world gathering up new mutants and redefining the name UNCANNY X-MEN.

- THE FEARLESS DEFENDERS - W - Cullen Bunn, A - Will Sliney
Spinning out of "The Fearless"! Valkyrie and Misty Knight are the Fearless Defenders and not since Power Man and Iron Fist has an unlikely duo kicked this much—well, you know. The formation of a brand new team begins here!

- SECRET AVENGERS - W - Nick Spencer, A - Luke Ross
The new Nick Fury leads a covert Avengers strike team including but not limited to Hawkeye, Black Widow, The Hulk, The Winter Soldier, Maria Hill and Phil Coulson on missions so dangerous, even the team members themselves can’t know about them!

- WOLVERINE - W - Paul Cornell, A - Alan Davis
As a new enemy targets Logan, the life of a young boy hangs in the balance.

- Mighty Avengers - W - Al Ewing, A - Greg Land
The Avengers are light-years away in space, contending with the Builders! Thanos’ marauders ransack the Earth, doing as they please! Who will stand in defense of mankind? Luke Cage! The Superior Spider-Man! Spectrum! The White Tiger! Power Man! And a mysterious figure in an ill-fitting Spider-Man Halloween costume! These unlikely heroes must assemble when no one else can

- Avengers A.I. - W - Sam Humphries
The triumph of Hank Pym turns to tragedy for the human race...an unfathomable Pandora’s Box of destruction! When a brave new world is unleashed, only one team of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes can save us from the future – AVENGERS A.I.! THE VISION! HANK PYM! VICTOR MANCHA! DOOMBOT! The mysterious ALEXIS! MONICA CHANG, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D.!

- Superior Spider-Man Team-up - W - Christopher Yost, A - Marco Checchetto
The denizens of the Marvel Universe team up with a new... Superior... Spider-Man

- Superior Foes of Spider-Man - W - Nick Spencer, A - Paulo Siqueira
Boomerang and some of Spidey’s deadliest baddies prove that with terrible powers come terrible responsibilities!

- X-Men - W - Brian Wood, A - David Lopez
The X-Women finally get their own book, as Storm steps up and puts together a team to protect an orphaned child and stop a new threat that could destroy all life on earth!

...green.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So Uncanny Avengers revealed something that makes Steve's freak out at Logan last issue a lot more uunderstandable.
    It is post-Dimension Z. So losing Ian is still very fresh in his mind. Killing children because they could go evil is like the biggest possible trigger for him right now.

CYpGAPn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    GREEEEEEEEN

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Green. Olives.

Young Avengers had an interesting last page. Hrm.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    so um

why are Hawkeye and Captain Marvel not in the 'Titles out Now' section?

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Technically neither of them launched with Marvel Now.

They were part of the weird.."Big Shots?" I forget what the thing was called with Gambit a few months before.

CYpGAPn.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    so um

why are Hawkeye and Captain Marvel not in the 'Titles out Now' section?

Also, Daredevil.

And Wolverine and the X-Men.

And Avengers Assemble.

I think because they're all titles that pre-dated the Marvel NOW relaunch.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Damn, everyone else beat me to it, but I don't care

GREEEEEEEEEEN

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Yeah thats mainly why i didnt add them.

Assemble did because it had a new author relaunch with it.

I mean I can add them later if necessary, I just didnt think about it really.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Is Hunger good? This is my Marvel NOW What? question.

I don't usually enjoy books based on big events (see recent Age of Ultron for example).

• AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    I crave more Avengers Arena.

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Is Hunger good? This is my Marvel NOW What? question.

I don't usually enjoy books based on big events (see recent Age of Ultron for example).

I liked it!

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I have a digital code for this week's Hawkeye Annual. If anyone wants it, PM me.

Gone!

AtomicTofu on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the current Iron Man arc:
    On one hand it's a giant high five to myself because I always suspected Tony was more than a regular ole human from birth. On the other hand it does kinda cheapen everything about Tony's badassery. Of course, this could end up being a giant "WHATATWEEST" sorta arc with it turning out that Robo McCockCrank is actually full of shit so I should probably just sit back and wait for it to resolve.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I gotta say, that Marvel Now in my eyes has been a great success. It's gotten me reading and caring about characters I normally didn't (Hulk, Thor and X-Men for one). Marvel is really doing tons of right things at the moment.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the current Iron Man arc:
    On one hand it's a giant high five to myself because I always suspected Tony was more than a regular ole human from birth. On the other hand it does kinda cheapen everything about Tony's badassery. Of course, this could end up being a giant "WHATATWEEST" sorta arc with it turning out that Robo McCockCrank is actually full of shit so I should probably just sit back and wait for it to resolve.

Well, my feeling is this:
    451 has been shown to be a liar and manipulator. I'm not necessarily saying that he's lying to Tony about his heritage, but I AM saying that I don't trust a single word that comes out of 451's mouth unless I get independent corroboration.

• MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    I got a Marvel question, but it's not Now related. What is a good place to start with Fantastic Four? I've heard from you guys that Hickman's run is good. Should I just start there, or is there a better jumping on point?

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I'd say start with Hickman's Fantastic Four volume 1 (not Hickman FF volume 1, because that's more like Hickman volume 5), it's what I did. You can start with FF #1 if you want to, but overall Hickman's run is 1 long story.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hickman's run starts with the "Dark Reign: Fantastic Four" miniseries and continues into the main line for six volumes of Fantastic Four and four volumes of FF(Future Foundation). There's a specific reading order for the latter half, but you can read Dark Reign, the first four volumes of Fantastic Four and the first two volumes of FF in that sequence. After that Fantastic Four and FF basically alternate issues.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Mark Millar's run on Fantastic Four is worth reading also.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Personally, I think Mark Waid's run is a better jumping on point than Hickman's run. It's a lot more accessible, and a lot less dropping you into the deep side of the pool on page three.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Personally, I think Mark Waid's run is a better jumping on point than Hickman's run. It's a lot more accessible, and a lot less dropping you into the deep side of the pool on page three.

They also get to visit heaven, which ends in a pretty great moment.

Kyougu wrote: »
    I gotta say, that Marvel Now in my eyes has been a great success. It's gotten me reading and caring about characters I normally didn't (Hulk, Thor and X-Men for one). Marvel is really doing tons of right things at the moment.

Wait, you didn't care about the Hulk? that's it I'm revoking your avatar!

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    both Waid and Hickman's runs are great, I prefer Hickman's though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    So I'm hearing maybe start with Waid and then jump to Hickman? Cool, thanks for the advice!

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Read the first part of Byrne's run (FF #232-262 - all easily available in back issue or trade form). Easily the thirty best issues the characters have ever had.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Hickman's run is being collected in two omnibuses, starting in October.

Byrne's stuff is also in two Omnibuses; the first is out now, and the second is coming later this year.

I mention the omnibuses because Marvel's trade policy has been really awful the last few years, and the Omnibuses will actually be cheaper than tracking down the current softcovers.

HadjiQuest on
    edited July 2013
    Since I'm going on vacation for a few days and am lucky enough to not have to drive I stocked up on a bunch of comics off comixology.

Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings Book 2
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Realm of Kings
    Nova: Realm of Kings
    Thanos Imperative
    New Avengers: Power
    New Avengers: Powerloss
    New Avengers: Siege
    Mighty Avengers: Earth's Mightiest
    Invincible Iron Man: Long Way Down
    Invincible Iron Man: The Future
    Thor: Siege

.....I think I maaaaay have gone overboard. Think I'll have to put off picking up Fantastic Four until my wallet recovers.

Maratastik on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    ha ha, maybe

maybe a little overboard

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    No such thing!

edited July 2013
    I've probably spent close to $1500 bucks on comics (mostly TPB's) in the past year. And those were at a pretty nice discount.

You ain't close to overboard yet

Undead Scottsman on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man when I think of how many trades I have (close to 350) and how much they must have cost

well

it feels good

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I liked McDuffie's run on FanFour.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I like McDuffie but I thought his FF was pretty bad, not as bad as JMS' and not as bad as the bad parts of Millar's run, but also nowhere as good as the good parts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    So I finally decided to read the super cheap copy of Annihilation Conquest Book 2, after I couldn't find Book 1 at a decent price anywhere. I'm 2/3rds through with it, and was wondering - is Wraith still around? This is the first real cosmic book I've read, and I recognized and know a good amount about Super Skrull (but not his "woman"), Nova, Gamorra, Drax, Ronin...and I know that Wraith was introduced in this event, but I have heard nothing about him, ever.

And the end of his miniseries (which was kind of bad) ended on a note that set him up to be a major player, I'd think...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I have to give McDuffie credit for fixing Reed's Civil War position in one issue compared to how much of a crap JMS did to the poor guy. Plus I get a sense Hickman borrowed the white board stuff for his opening FF arc. But yeah, when it brings Storm and T'Challa in it feels more like Exiles than FF.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I don't think Wraith has been seen since Annihilation Conquest.

For good reason, since IIRC that miniseries is generally considered the worst part of the post-Annihilation Cosmic universe.

At least Wraith was only 4 issues, Realm/War of kings had sooo much slog in it, and still forced to slog thru it for the most part to understand the good stuff going on in the regular titles, and to set up Imperative/the Faults

Wraith's people had to feel pain to stay alive, or hurts themselves so much they couldn't feel pain, or something stupid like that.

I'd be fine if we never saw him or his ilk again.. Except I hate the current Supreme Intelligence and Wraith had the soul of the old one by the end, IIRC.

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Man when I think of how many trades I have (close to 350) and how much they must have cost

well

it feels good

i think i've bought 4 books in the last 3 years and i've got around 370 i think? enough to fill up the top 2/3 of two of those ikea cube shelving units.

i calculated a pretty decent approximation of how much i spent and made a hard and fast decision that nope. gotta stop.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    My physical trade collection is only about 2/3rds if a bookshelf so far. My large Comixology account and DC/Marvel's late trade policies help with that (it's mostly Image and Vertigo in print).

Now my Manga collection? That's almost at 7 full bookshelves.

I really need to pick up a few Marvel Omnibuses though. Secret Warriors for one.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
This discussion has been closed.