As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    That's why the existence of Marvel Studios is such a wonderful thing. I'd start getting very worried if Disney dissolved Marvel's production company and opted to just do everything in-house. People who understand comics making great comic book movies...whoda thunk?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Wolverine: Not bad at all.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Guek wrote: »
    That's why the existence of Marvel Studios is such a wonderful thing. I'd start getting very worried if Disney dissolved Marvel's production company and opted to just do everything in-house. People who understand comics making great comic book movies...whoda thunk?

It'll happen eventually. They did it to Pixar. I have no doubt they'll do it to Marvel (the whole thing).

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I don't think that's what happened to Pixar.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    What I find most troubling is that it's certainly no big secret that Warner Brothers is A) a den of cronyism and B) their movie efforts for DC properties are easily found wanting most of the time. We all saw the first Green Lantern trailer with the cgi creature effects work on Oa and had high hopes for the results. Like maybe it was a new direction. Then it proved to be, not.

Their goals are very strange. If nothing else, the vast amounts of cash Marvel has been able to reap fom their line of successes really should have forced DC to reexamine their internal machinery in terms of how they go about this sort of thing.

It would be a bit sad if it turned out Image, Dark Horse, or, hell, Boom! was able to outshine DC and become the number 2 presence in terms of comic book movies. I'm starting to think it could happen, though.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    If nothing else, the vast amounts of cash Marvel has been able to reap fom their line of successes really should have forced DC to reexamine their internal machinery in terms of how they go about this sort of thing.

I imagine there probably are people at WB who realize their problem, but if cronyism is endemic to the system then there are also going to be a ton of people who benefit from the status quo and will work against any change.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Obviously both companies main intent is to make money, but Marvel is at least able to pull off the vibe that they genuenely care about their characters and are picking the best people suited for the property.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm really, REALLY looking forward to Lego Marvel Superheroes.

doctordoom_01.jpg

gambit_storm_beast_01.jpg

howardtheduck_02.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I'm still annoyed that they allowed them to talk, but I'll probably be getting that LEGO game.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    It turns out that kids were really confused as to why the Lego's don't talk in the games, because when they play with their Legos, they don't have any reason not to imagine them talking. Lego's not talking is pretty much an adult thing, and I'm fine with it ending.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

Too bad it's going to be a small game.

Neil Gaiman should make a Sandman RPG with Obsidian.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    It turns out that kids were really confused as to why the Lego's don't talk in the games, because when they play with their Legos, they don't have any reason not to imagine them talking. Lego's not talking is pretty much an adult thing, and I'm fine with it ending.

Wait, wait wait,... My legomen aren't actually talking? You mean it was just my brain telling me to start all those fires? uh oh

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Plus we're getting Clark Gregg as Coulson and Stan Lee voicing himself. I think that alone more than justifies the talking.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    It's always your brain telling you to start fires. (you should totally start some fires) Nobody in their right mind would tell you to do that (seriously, start some fires) as that would be irresponsible at best (burn it! burn everything to the ground!) and cruel and inhumane at worst. (set the whole world ablaze!)

So yeah, if you see or hear anyone telling you to start fires (you should totally listen), that means you are not well and should (not) get help immediately. (Totally start some fires. Also, get some nachos, because nachos kick ass.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular

Please to be elaborating.

Of all the X-Men movies, I liked X2 the most and is the only one I would gladly watch again. So given that, would you or any other brajs here recommend the film?

Unless it turns out to be some super Logan/Jean OTP wank, then forget it.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Please to be elaborating.

Of all the X-Men movies, I liked X2 the most and is the only one I would gladly watch again. So given that, would you or any other brajs here recommend the film?

Unless it turns out to be some super Logan/Jean OTP wank, then forget it.

Im not sure you saying you like X2 helps. I enjoyed it but probably wont see it again.

Its mostly somber with some cool moments but a lot of character motivation is puzzling and the third act is a mess.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I know the original X-Men movies were good

And I prefer them to First Class, for a variety of reasons I won't get into here

But I don't intend to watch any of them again anytime soon.

• Options

And I prefer them to First Class, for a variety of reasons I won't get into here

They really wern't. I don't think I'd say any of the X-men movies so far are good good anyway.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

They really wern't. I don't think I'd say any of the X-men movies so far are good good anyway.

What I mean is, for their time, X-Men and X2 were solid, evenly done entries in the tentative, speculative process of making superhero movies that weren't just action movies set in the real world with more special effects and maybe less guns. They got mad respect once upon a time, and when they were made, they did what they did better than anyone else. For fuck's sake, Batman Begins didn't even appear until two years after X2. The X-Men movies really were top dog when they came out.

Have they aged well? I wouldn't say so. The fantastic elements still kind of hang like awkward husks on top of a standard action movie premise. It doesn't feel like a heightened reality. In an effort to think big, Singer and Co went minimal, and the result feels very timid these days, in the wake of the creations of Marvel Studios.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    The first two x-men movies are pretty good wolverine and his amazing x-men friends movies, but not great X-Men movies.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Linespder if you keep having well-reasoned, interesting comics opinions them I'm gonna feel bad for not noticing/paying attention sooner.

• Options
    Leaked footage from the ASM2 panel (nearly 4 minutes). Probably gonna get taken down soon!

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Those white eyes look great.

Electro's origin still looks silly to me.

I can't wait for the subpar videogame that I'll inevitably buy anyways.

• Options
    Huh, I had no idea that 2 Guns- That movie with Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg was based on a comic.

The New York Times has a pretty interesting article about how the creators sold the project.

• Options
    While what the villain was trying to do in The Wolverine isn't as bad as, say, shooting someone in the head and causing amnesia even though the bullet can't pierce the skull, I'm not sure how much better it is.

And spoiler
    I'm surprised they left him with the bone claws. Assuming the past in Days is gonna be post-Weapon X, I would guess it'll be to tell the two versions of Logan apart.

• Options
    I was going to ask you what the post credit scene is, but it took me about a minute of google to find a youtube version of it.

• Options
    I'll sum up if anyone is interested...
    Two years after the events of The Wolverine...
    Logan is opting for the pat down at the airport (and watching a TV ad for Trask Industries) when Magneto comes up behind him and tries to recruit him. He says he's with someone who will convince Logan to join up. Then everyone else freezes and
    Xavier rolls up and pays lip service to his resurrection.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Wolverine: Best X-men movie ever

• Options
    If you want you can check out Axe Cop on the Fox ADHD website after you trudge through the terrible Gifs.

It's.....a show. It's something that was interesting as a webcomic, but when it becomes animated the non-sequitur stuff feels forced, especially when you make it 10 minutes. Not even Offerman could save it (there was almost a hint of WTF in his voice).

I think the idea lost a lot of luster when they started to make the full length comics.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So Chris Claremont gave some thoughts on The Wolverine, and they're pretty interesting, I think.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/07/chris-claremont-reviews-wolverine-movie.html

Also apparently Fox didn't put his name in the credits or anything, which is dumb.

• Options
    Did they give him credit to his stuff in the other films?

They can make up for it with DoFP, just to not be complete hollywood tools.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Good ol' Chris Claremont

you know we have him to thank for so much that is taken for granted these days

dude might have been a bit odd, but hey ho!

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Oh jeez.

I wouldn't dare ask him about Captain Marvel given our conversation back in 2011 because I don't want to know the answer, but anyway, he's still odd. I wish his style had evolved but I think there's also some lingering resentment from conflicts with artists (mainly those where the editors sided with the artists) that it has stifled his technique. I'd love to read his novels if I ever get through the pile of stuff I already have just to see if it is a better fit, which I assume it would be.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I don't think the first two X-Men films, especially the first one, were considered to be that good by non-comic book fans. Comic book fans were just happy they got an X-Men movie but I don't think non-comic readers were nearly as impressed. Some of the clumsy references to the comics stuck out too much. The way they were showing off their powers was a bit showy and sometimes even patronizing. Plus some of the scenes were just awkward.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Oh jeez.

I wouldn't dare ask him about Captain Marvel given our conversation back in 2011 because I don't want to know the answer, but anyway, he's still odd. I wish his style had evolved but I think there's also some lingering resentment from conflicts with artists (mainly those where the editors sided with the artists) that it has stifled his technique. I'd love to read his novels if I ever get through the pile of stuff I already have just to see if it is a better fit, which I assume it would be.

I can't really recommend Shadowmoon. As someone who was interested in the larger world of Willow (don't judge, there were no good sword and sorcery movies back then) it was pretty off putting to read him killing off Madmartigan and Sorshae in the first chapter and then rename Willow as "Thorn Drumheller."

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Leaked footage from the ASM2 panel (nearly 4 minutes). Probably gonna get taken down soon!

It's weird how such a small detail as changing the eyes makes a huge difference in the suit.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If you want you can check out Axe Cop on the Fox ADHD website after you trudge through the terrible Gifs.

It's.....a show. It's something that was interesting as a webcomic, but when it becomes animated the non-sequitur stuff feels forced, especially when you make it 10 minutes. Not even Offerman could save it (there was almost a hint of WTF in his voice).

I think the idea lost a lot of luster when they started to make the full length comics.

Axe Cop is certinally no Dr. McNinja.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Axe Cop is certinally no Dr. McNinja.

Holy shit I just realized I haven't read Dr. McNinja in two weeks.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
This discussion has been closed.