As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Right Answer] In SE++ (Best Revenge-Fueled Badass Ever)

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Angel eyes in the Man with No Name trilogy.

No fuckin' question.

Mmm well I think you mean Lee Van Cleef's character in For A Few Dollars More (Colonel Mortimer)
    Angel Eyes was also played by Van Cleef in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, but he's a different character

• Options
    This has been your pedantic post about spaghetti westerns for the evening

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    tell us more

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    tell us more

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Like does he have a car?

Zonugal on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I think Kratos is an interesting character because there's no typical late-game moment where he realizes what he's doing is messed up

His big life event happened to him because he was a dick, the consequences came by way of his dickery, and he fought to the last being a total dick

Not a great or inspiring role model or anything, sure, not even a good person, but interesting in that he never really flinches. He is unjustified anger personified, and I think that's kind of a neat idea, whereas I feel most other developers would have tried to give him depth or some dumb shit like that at the last moment

Anyways I'm gonna actually have to agree with @Zonugal here

Angier is just so great, and when he does go too far (like with the ending reveal), it never feels too jarring or out of character. It is exactly and appropriately the kind of thing he would do.

• Options
    @UnbreakableVow knows the score.

• Options
    Angier isn't really a revenge-fueled bad-ass.

But he is revenge made corporeal.

His entire life is revenge and the lengths he is willing to go for revenge are insane.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    It's really hard to root for Kratos post-first game

I mean, he's a terrible awful person in all of them, but in the first one at least the main target is a guy who I could agree "deserves" what Kratos is giving him.

In 2 and 3, it's more a matter of "THEY TOOK MY TOYS AWAY MAN I HATE MY MOM AND DAD", and that is what the revenge is based on

And The Bride is the clear answer

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Angel eyes in the Man with No Name trilogy.

No fuckin' question.

Mmm well I think you mean Lee Van Cleef's character in For A Few Dollars More (Colonel Mortimer)
    Angel Eyes was also played by Van Cleef in The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, but he's a different character

:oops:

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    tell us more

Leone reused actors all the time. The other big one that comes to mind is Indio, from For A Few Dollars More, was (I think) the leader of the Rojos gang in A Fistful of Dollars. But whenever you see a guy you recognize from another film he's almost certainly a different character (because odds are he died in one or both of the movies)

The only constant is Eastwood himself

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Inigo Montoya

inigo-montoya-vs-the-six-fingered-man.jpg

e:

Kaplar on
  • Options
    Fuck

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Not the best but I feel like Oh Dae-su deserves at least a mention.

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    I feel straight-up ashamed that none of us put up Inigo Montoya

I think I understand the concept behind seppuku now

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I feel straight-up ashamed that none of us put up Inigo Montoya

I think I understand the concept behind seppuku now

As you should.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Like does he have a car?

Oh my God.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    P.S. I've been listening to the Grease soundtrack off and on tonight and I fully blame Zonugal

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I think Kratos is an interesting character because there's no typical late-game moment where he realizes what he's doing is messed up

His big life event happened to him because he was a dick, the consequences came by way of his dickery, and he fought to the last being a total dick

Not a great or inspiring role model or anything, sure, not even a good person, but interesting in that he never really flinches. He is unjustified anger personified, and I think that's kind of a neat idea, whereas I feel most other developers would have tried to give him depth or some dumb shit like that at the last moment

Anyways I'm gonna actually have to agree with @Zonugal here

Angier is just so great, and when he does go too far (like with the ending reveal), it never feels too jarring or out of character. It is exactly and appropriately the kind of thing he would do.

Also, there's really no need to give him further depth, because the consequences of his actions are self-evident and he knows it. And he just doesn't care because he's pretty much stuck with the path he set himself on.

Edit: While we're on that subject, this is pretty great.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Speaking of Grease

Our high school did a production of it, but I never saw it

Now I wonder how they got around lines in Greased Lightning like "a real pussy wagon" and "the chicks'll cream"

• Options
    P.S. I've been listening to the Grease soundtrack off and on tonight and I fully blame Zonugal

Ain't nothing wrong with listening to Grease.

I mean its automatic, its systematic, it's hydromatic.....

• Options
    Also as someone who acted in Grease in high school, it is a real fun play.

• Options
    Speaking of Grease

Our high school did a production of it, but I never saw it

Now I wonder how they got around lines in Greased Lightning like "a real pussy wagon" and "the chicks'll cream"

"Ain't no wussy wagon." "the chicks'll scream."

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Man, gonna have to say the Japanese have this on lock and give this to Ogami Itto.

Or that one guy in 13 Assassins. Wasn't personal vengeance, but it sure was bad ass.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Has Lisbeth Salander been put forward yet? If not, I hereby put her forward.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Ogami Itto wasn't really revenge-fueled as such, but if he was then he would be the ultimate personification of the archetype

As-is I'm still gonna need to give it to Eastwood from Pale Rider

Or, you know, Mako Mori

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    The protagonist from I Spit On Your Grave. She fucking owns.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Nothing about I Spit On Your Grave owns, not a shred, not a little, not a bit

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    True. Revenge was her only mission, and let's be honest, the question called for a revenge fuelled badass, so, I believe it suits.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Double-post.

HyperBallad on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Far from the best, but I want to give an honorable mention to Gerard Butler in Law-Abiding Citizen.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Man, gonna have to say the Japanese have this on lock and give this to Ogami Itto.

Or that one guy in 13 Assassins. Wasn't personal vengeance, but it sure was bad ass.

TOTAL MASSACRE

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I think the Drifter and Yoshi the swordsman in Bunraku count as good heroes fuelled by revenge

• Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Ogami Itto wasn't really revenge-fueled as such, but if he was then he would be the ultimate personification of the archetype

As-is I'm still gonna need to give it to Eastwood from Pale Rider

Or, you know, Mako Mori

This might be the whisky talking, but Ogami Itto is so much fueled by revenge that he fucking councils other people who are out for revenge.

He invented goddamn hand grenades so his kid could get in on the revenge.

The Yagyu are dicks!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Has Lisbeth Salander been put forward yet? If not, I hereby put her forward.

Lisbeth Salander is eight butts and Swedish to boot. Denied!

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Jon Creasey from Man on Fire.

• Options
    Also, where the hell is TLB? How has Paul Kersey not been mentioned.

Death Wish motherfuckers!

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    Simon Gruber?