As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

English Class for Beginners

MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
I'm trying to get my nephews to learn English. They seem really excited about it, and they come home to learn. I'm wondering if there are any resources out there that can help me. It's basically starting from zero, they know almost nothing.

• FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    What language do they speak?

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Japanese.

• garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    How old are they? Are you in Japan? I'm assuming the answers to these questions are "very young" and "yes."

By far the best way is simply to speak to them in English. You might be surprised at how quickly young kids can pick up on things.

When I work with my youngest students (first year elementary), I basically just spend time playing with them and participate in their games. Most of them already know things like colors and numbers, and when they hear me using those words that they know, they start emulating me and saying them in English as well. Even among themselves!

I help them with their math homework as well, fully in English. They pick up on words like plus and minus almost instantaneously.

• NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    Depends on how young they are because if they're fairly young something like watching Sesame Street or reading some children's books with them could help.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    A bit more info would be great. I train EFL teachers in Japan, so I think I can help ;-)

Apart from more info about your nephews and your situation, I'd love to know how much time and money you are willing to put into this. Any answer is fine, but I want to give realistic advice that is useful for your situation.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I live in Japan, they are 6 and 9.

I haven't really thought about how much money I want to put into it, but I got some money I could put into it, what do you recommend? I thought about buying a Kumon book I saw some kid with today, I have no idea how much they run. I might also buy a marker board.

• UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I'm not sure of applications for tablets in Japan, but I recently downloaded "DuoLingo" for Android on my tablet to try to learn basics/beginnings of Spanish and I'm pretty sure that it has Japanese to English support so long as you install the proper keyboard files. It's also free, on the Android/Google market place.

I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I don't have any ideas for learning material as such but they learn a lot by watching some English children's TV like Sesame Street or the like. I once learned German that way so I know it works.

Bones heal, glory is forever.