As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pacific Rim Sequel: This March Holy Shit it Happened

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Explaining all those things would have made me enjoy it considerably less to be honest.

I appreciated the simplicity.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    where exactly did the kaiju come from? What's their home world like?

They're from another dimension/planet, do we really need to know more?
    How did people come up with that linking two pilots together technology?
    Running a Jaeger was too much strain for one person so they devised a way of using two pilots, one for each hemisphere of the brain.
    What's the situation in the rest of the world?
    . Probably as resource strained as the pacific countries.

[/quote]How could anyone honestly believe that building a couple of walls was a better plan than giant kickass robots?[/quote]. Because the robot plan stopped working.

Also, those were some huge friggen walls.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Just came back from seeing this. It was pretty good! Not the best movie ever but I didn't feel bored even for one second, which is quite an achievement for a movie over 2 hours long.

I wish they would've explained some things in a bit more detail. Like, where exactly did the kaiju come from? What's their home world like? How did people come up with that linking two pilots together technology? What's the situation in the rest of the world? How could anyone honestly believe that building a couple of walls was a better plan than giant kickass robots?

As always, I could've done without the 3D. While it wasn't in-your-face-obnoxious, it didn't really add anything either.

The main theme was amazing though. From now on, I want my own personal orchestra to follow me around wherever I go, just constantly playing that theme song. Would make every day a bit more epic.

The two pilots linking thing is actually in the prequel graphic novel
    the scientist who came up with the idea of the giant robots had tapped a former student of his who had been working on a system to control aircraft with the mind. During tests the first test pilot died due to the neural load. The second one she (the former student) had feelings for and when she saw he was in trouble she decided to bridge in....and it worked. Successive tests continued to prove that was the way to go.

Nobody on
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Re: the two pilots thing...
    If it's supposed to utilize the two hemispheres of the brain, what was with Crimson Typhoon, then? Do Chinese people have different brains? Or is it possible that the two-pilot thing is merely a shallow plot device?
    :rotate:

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I still get a chuckle that
    China, of all countries, had triplets for their jaeger.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Nobody wrote: »

And much of the rest of it was in earlier drafts of the script, but was ultimately cut to keep things streamlined. I have no idea if this is all still canon of not, but in one of the later versions of the script they explained a lot more stuff.

This stuff might make it into future movies or products, if they ever happen, so MAJOR SPOILER WARNING

On the helicopters:
    The choppers were originally very powerful VTOL aircraft (with their own giant "fuck off" machine guns for distracting kaiju/providing cover). they were needed to ferry Jaegers to and fro because neural bridges couldn't be maintained for more than an hour or two without causing seriously debilitating side effects on the pilots. Jaegers wouldn't be turned on until just before a drop, and would be shut off immediately after a kaiju was confirmed dead. Also, the Jaegers in the earlier scripts were a lot slower and less agile; Tacit Ronin (originally filling the Striker Eureka role of being the fancy schmancy Mark V) nearly blew out all the artificial carbon muscle fibers in its legs when it landed on the ground after doing a roundhouse kick on a kaiju.

On the aliens:
    The original script just called them "the precursors," and elaborated on them a lot. They come from a universe that's in the final stages of heat death, and are desperate to escape. Actually, in the old script the aliens actuallycreated our universe, sort of pinching it off from the side of their own like a pocket, to serve as a lifeboat. The problem is, time flows differently in the two dimensions. In this explanation, the reason kaiju weren't showing up en masse was simply because of the unstable portal and time differences between the two dimensions. The aliens may very well have been sending them in in huge batches, but they arrived randomly, and in small groups. Yes, the double event stuff wasn't unprecedented in the old script. Kaiju lurked in the ocean around the portal after coming through, and then one or two would eventually split off and home in on a city.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    Well
    provided you can drift, I'm guessing more pilots doesn't makes things more difficult. There's just not much of a reason to do so, unless you want to slap extra limbs onto your Jaeger.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I can't remember if they said it in the movie, but re: Crimson Typhoon
    they need 3 pilots because one if them controls the legs only. On top of that, it allows Crimson Typhoon to be the only Jaeger that can kick

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So a second theater is showing up as an IMAX 3D theater where Wednesday there was only one...I'm guessing it was a late addition.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yay, sequel.

http://www.examiner.com/article/guillermo-del-toro-given-approval-to-start-writing-pacific-rim-2

Much prefer sequels to prequels. I'd rather be surprised about what's going to happen.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Yay, sequel.

http://www.examiner.com/article/guillermo-del-toro-given-approval-to-start-writing-pacific-rim-2

Much prefer sequels to prequels. I'd rather be surprised about what's going to happen.

Eh, in this case, I think a sequel would take away from the ending; there's a sense of finality there. I would have much preferred a prequel, since there's a LOT of Jaegers and Kaiju we never saw.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I'm sure Del Toro can think of an original way to continue.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I wish they would've explained some things in a bit more detail. Like, where exactly did the kaiju come from? What's their home world like? How did people come up with that linking two pilots together technology? What's the situation in the rest of the world? How could anyone honestly believe that building a couple of walls was a better plan than giant kickass robots?

I like the open-ended nature of those questions. There's a lot of stuff that could be the way it is for a lot of reasons, but I don't need it all nailed in place anytime soon. I suspected quite a lot as the movie went forward, and it was enjoyable, and I liked how the movie lead me on to guess which questions I expected to be addressed at some point before the movie was over. Most movies only bring questions into the mix that are going to be resolved. It's refreshing to have this stuff out there that leave room for speculation and potential.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Yay, sequel.

Eh, in this case, I think a sequel would take away from the ending; there's a sense of finality there. I would have much preferred a prequel, since there's a LOT of Jaegers and Kaiju we never saw.

Do I smell an 'Untold Tales of Pacific Rim' Animatrix-type dealy in the future?!
    where exactly did the kaiju come from? What's their home world like?

One of my fav scenes was the brief glimpse we got
    of some spider-like thing apparently sewing flesh onto a giant bone. Like the kaiju are actually constructed or woven together from separate chunks of organic material rather than grown whole. Like a kind of organic assembly line.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Yay, sequel.

Do I smell a 'Untold Tales of Pacific Rim' Animatrix-type dealy in the future?!

That would be lovely, though I doubt we'll get it.

• Options
    I would buy the shit out of it though.

There's apparently a prequel comic already; it's published by marvel so I'll probably snag it when they release the softcover version.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Just came back from seeing this. It was pretty good! Not the best movie ever but I didn't feel bored even for one second, which is quite an achievement for a movie over 2 hours long.

As always, I could've done without the 3D. While it wasn't in-your-face-obnoxious, it didn't really add anything either.

The main theme was amazing though. From now on, I want my own personal orchestra to follow me around wherever I go, just constantly playing that theme song. Would make every day a bit more epic.

the scientist who came up with the idea of the giant robots had tapped a former student of his who had been working on a system to control aircraft with the mind. During tests the first test pilot died due to the neural load. The second one she (the former student) had feelings for and when she saw he was in trouble she decided to bridge in....and it worked. Successive tests continued to prove that was the way to go.

They actually mention it's based on a neural interface for fighter pilots in the movie when they're doing the flashback of the development of the program.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Remaining Kaiju Blue becomes new kaiju. Done.

That way kaiju can actually appear near cities so we can get more property damage instead of having nearly every fight at sea.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was annoying. Punching them did fuck all. The sword, plasma cannon, and Eurka's missles decimated them. Just one of those movie things you have to get over in order to get cool battles, I guess.

• Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Eureka has bladed fists. So punching can be effective. Apparently all jaeger weapons are built so they cauterize wounds and eliminate risk of kaiju blue

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Fakefaux wrote: »

On the aliens:
    The original script just called them "the precursors," and elaborated on them a lot. They come from a universe that's in the final stages of heat death, and are desperate to escape. Actually, in the old script the aliens actuallycreated our universe, sort of pinching it off from the side of their own like a pocket, to serve as a lifeboat. The problem is, time flows differently in the two dimensions. In this explanation, the reason kaiju weren't showing up en masse was simply because of the unstable portal and time differences between the two dimensions. The aliens may very well have been sending them in in huge batches, but they arrived randomly, and in small groups. Yes, the double event stuff wasn't unprecedented in the old script. Kaiju lurked in the ocean around the portal after coming through, and then one or two would eventually split off and home in on a city.
    It's a good thing they didn't mention that, because I am juuust alarmed enough at the concept of heat death that I'd probably be rooting for the Kaiju :P

It would be pretty terrifying to be close enough to that that the universe is clearly dying.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Fakefaux wrote: »

On the aliens:
    It's a good thing they didn't mention that, because I am juuust alarmed enough at the concept of heat death that I'd probably be rooting for the Kaiju :P

It would be pretty terrifying to be close enough to that that the universe is clearly dying.
    Well, then we did them a favor by sending them a bit 'o heat then. :rotate:

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kasyn wrote: »
    If it's supposed to utilize the two hemispheres of the brain, what was with Crimson Typhoon, then? Do Chinese people have different brains? Or is it possible that the two-pilot thing is merely a shallow plot device?
    The Drift was a massively wasted opportunity, for me. We're told in the opening monologue that two pilots are necessary to control the Jaeger, and they each control half the hemisphere... but then nothing else in the movie supports that. 5 minutes after we're told two pilots are necessary, we watch Raleigh solo a Kaiju. We watch the pilots operate the controls independently after the "handshake", inform each other of upcoming attacks they're going to use, and at one point even inform the other pilot that a weapon on their Jaeger exists. There's apparently no "De-handshake", as pilots jump in and out of the harnesses like crazy, and I absolutely do not believe Raleigh when he's telling Mako what a horrible experience it was to have his co-pilot suddenly wrenched out when he's got this big dopey grin all over his face.

There's nothing here that couldn't be handled through a "Top Gun"-style pilot + navigator/gunner. The Drift exists purely so Raleigh can witness Mako's flashback, and even that gets dropped as soon as Raleigh talks to Pentecost. It's nothing that couldn't be replaced by TALKING. Which, annoyingly, is what these characters do even though it shouldn't be necessary given what we've been told about the Drift.

If you're going to go "Shared Consciousness/Body" go the full hog - and show, don't tell. Have people start/finish each other's sentences when they can't hear each other and completely weird other characters out. Have someone's consciousness "haunt" a Jaeger after their body is killed. Have a sequence where Raleigh completely fails at a mundane household chore because he keeps assuming he's got an extra hand that doesn't exist. Give me SOME reason to believe that these people are actually linked and it's screwing them up psychologically.

Archangle on
  • Options
    GosrothGosroth Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »

The system that splits control between the hemispheres is probably the result of having two pilots, rather than the other way around. Three pilots just means having a different layout of who controls what.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Fiskav wrote: »
    Bubby wrote: »
    Yeah, that was annoying. Punching them did fuck all. The sword, plasma cannon, and Eurka's missles decimated them. Just one of those movie things you have to get over in order to get cool battles, I guess.

It got me quite annoyed. Who wouldn't go into a battle all "guns blazing"?

Part of the premise of the movie is that humanity's back is against the wall, and they have super-limited facilities for building and repairing Jaegers, especially with the world government actively decommissioning them. Even a sword has a maximum lifespan; if it's the better option, you don't want to break it before you really need it.
    blah blah "durability concerns would disqualify the Jaegers from existing in the first place" something something "square cube law" blather blather

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

That way kaiju can actually appear near cities so we can get more property damage instead of having nearly every fight at sea.

That was done on purpose, because everyone starts wetting their pants over "It invokes 9/11" whenever someone shows a building collapsing.

• Options
    KroenenKroenen Registered User regular
    They also didn't remember about the sword until they were up in the air. I would assume that it was a new addition after Gipsy was destroyed in the beginning and Raleigh didn't know about it. Probably were going to go over it during the test, but then Mako went chasing her RABIT. You notice he whips it out right away during the Nuke Assault.

• Options
    Kroenen wrote: »
    They also didn't remember about the sword until they were up in the air. I would assume that it was a new addition after Gipsy was destroyed in the beginning and Raleigh didn't know about it. Probably were going to go over it during the test, but then Mako went chasing her RABIT. You notice he whips it out right away during the Nuke Assault.

I wish instead
    they'd launched the sword into Gipsy's hand rail-cannon style from the Shatterdome base. Because it wasn't ready until just then, or something.

Seriously, how great would that have been. Pentecost goes "Launch the sword!" and some huge sword-launching cannon unfolds.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular

I wish instead
    they'd launched the sword into Gipsy's hand rail-cannon style from the Shatterdome base. Because it wasn't ready until just then, or something.

Seriously, how great would that have been. Pentecost goes "Launch the sword!" and some huge sword-launching cannon unfolds.

Then you'd have us nerds asking why they didn't shoot the kaiju with it instead

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular

That was done on purpose, because everyone starts wetting their pants over "It invokes 9/11" whenever someone shows a building collapsing.

Explain Man of Steel.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Went and saw it for the 3rd time, IMAX again, still worth it.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    If anyone comes across a guitar tab for the main theme please link me and I will be your friend forever.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options

Explain Man of Steel.

It got criticized for invoking 9/11 imagery? Just like Transformers 3 did.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    Please, people, it's a good movie - but that's all it is. You don't need your enjoyment of the movie to be validated by its financial success.

True, but I want Pacific Rim to be a financial success so that the genre can continue. If this movie fails, it may be decades before a major studio considers giant robots/monsters again.

Like, imagine if X-Men and Spiderman (Toby Maguire) failed? Would we have gotten the Dark Knight trilogy or Avengers? I doubt it.

I want Pacific Rim 2 and other directors/studios to make giant robot movies and really flex their muscles in a new (to Hollywood) genre. Especially since this movie was a huge risk. Studios don't like risk and especially hate risks that fail. If Pacific Rim fails, we can expect more reboots, reimagining's, and regurgitations like we've been getting forced fed for the past 15 years.

I want new ideas. New creations. New imagination.

Exactly. It's also kinda the 'last gasp' of the manly sci-fi action movie. To see if they can draw in enough of the female demographic by making the movie actually good to justify making these films any more. Unfortunately I think that's been a big failing for it. 'Male' movie pester power is going down a lot in recent years, and we're seeing more movies targeted at women. Now this is a good thing, since for a long time only terrible movies were marketed at women, but movies for women (who can drag men along to them) are much cheaper and thus more profitable. If Pacific Rim, and other action blockbusters, fail then look forward to a lot of YA/Teen Drama/Romance schlock for the next 5 years.

I wish instead

Best idea ever

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

You how the the gameplay arc for the XCOM games starts at "oh shit, everyone is dying everywhere!" to "KICK IN THEIR FRONT DOOR AND MURDER THEM IN THEIR SLIME-BEDS WITH EARTHMAN RAGE"?

Yeah, could totally see that as the way to go here. The best defense is a good offense, and nothing says "good offense" like an army where the standard sidearms are giant robot fists accelerated by jet engines.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    How did people come up with that linking two pilots together technology?
    *Random followup discussion*
    *AHEM*
    http://www.eb8y.com/two-brains-one-mind-brain-interconnection-pilots-could-improve-the-management-of-spacecraft/

The Amazon page doesn't mention whether the release comes with the rumored extended Cherno/Crimson fights. These are things I need to know about.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I thought Del Toro said awhile ago that there'd be no extended version?
    8:20 – Reveals he already has a number of deleted scenes on Pacific Rim. Goes on to explain why Pan’s Labyrinth doesn’t have a lot of deleted scenes but talks about one of them.
    9:50 – Says on the eventual Blu-ray there will be 30 minutes of deleted scenes. Says it’s a lot of character stuff and they are “not expensive scenes” and some are “science being explained.” Goes on to say he would not cut a scene “that takes an enormous amount of time to shoot.” (meaning any of the action)
    11:25 – Will he do an extended cut or are they true deleted scenes? Says no extended cut.

http://collider.com/pacific-rim-deleted-scenes-blu-ray/

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Late to the party here, but... I just saw this. It was possibly the stupidest thing I have ever seen. But I'm glad I saw it. Might give a full writeup when I'm not so tired.