As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weird storage drive/crashes

Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
So, I've been having a recurring issue that I haven't been able to solve.

What the symptoms are is the computer will be fine, and then will crash with or without a blue screen. This can happen if I am doing something or not as I have often walked back to the crash after I have only had chrome open.

My storage is the following:
1 ssd with windows.
1 hdd with everything else.

Steps I have taken:
Checked for viruses
unplugged the ssd and installed windows on the hdd. Issue still happened.
unplugged the hdd and reformatted and reinstalled windows on the ssd. Issue still happens.
Ran memtest and it was fine.
Used the motherboard software to watch voltage and temp a little. Voltage was stable on all rails and temp seemed ok. The highest I saw it was 50 C

At this point, I thought that maybe the sata part of the motherboard was going bad. So, I ordered a new one and had the same issue.

TL:DR I still have the same issue of the computer crashing and saying there is no boot media found on two different drives, after a reinstall, and trying a new motherboard.

Let me know if you need or want specs.

Niceguy Myeye on

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Ok, here's an update:
    I spent about 30 min surfing the web and monitoring temperatures and voltage before it crashed.

I saw nothing crazy on voltage and the CPU temp was 32 C and mb temp was 30 C at the time of the crash.

Do you think I'm just unlucky and it is a drive issue to begin with?

Also, not sure if it's my storage drive or what, but it is super slow like takes 2 min to open chrome if I try to run just from the hdd.

I guess the next logical step is to try it with a fresh and new HDD?
    Maybe, take out a stick of RAM and see if it happens on only 1 stick?

Can the processor do this? That's the only thing I haven't even considered.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    Well, it was the improbable. Both died at the same time.

• Options
    Now, if I can only figure out how to close threads!

geth, close this thread!

(I know that won't work)