As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Natri's Renewed Drawing Thread. Also painting these days. [nsfw]

• NatriNatri Registered User regular
    Just started a new painting:

6-14-sfwip.jpg

www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Her lower body looks kind of small for her torso but maybe it's some kind of illusion.

That is a pretty sweet start though generally. I'm glad this thread is back. Great stuff always.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Is that Sara Fabel?

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2012
    @ squidbunny: Thanks, yeah I was thinking the same thing, maybe I should elongate her legs as much as possible, kind of screwed up from the start with the composition.

@ PierceNeck: It is Sara Fabel indeed, a beautiful pose that inspired me to do a painting.

Natri on
  • Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    Your work is really gorgeous and you have a style all your own. Keep on practicing, you're def on the right track!

edited June 2012
    Hey thank you for the kind words, Goodfella!

Here's a quick doodle I did today:

6-24-linedoodle.jpg

based on these random lines from the cup o doodle blog:

lowopacity.jpg

Natri on
  • HoneycombcakesHoneycombcakes Registered User new member
    I really love the energy in it. Your artwork is really lovely, keep posting! Do you have a website or a Tumblr, somewhere where I could see more?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Those portraits are wonderful!

Honeycombcakes: sorry for the extremely late reaction, I have a blog but I really don't update it as often as I should (kind of like this thread here). It's called neveneffect.blogspot.com.
    And thank you tynic!

Here's a new thingy:

8-25-paints.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Wow, that's lovely. I really like the softness of the background contrasted with the skin.

Kinda wish there was a little more highlight to it to bring out the light. Great composition though.

Draw an egg.
    Thanks Halen, you may be right about the higlight. At first I had her skin a lot more pale and greyish-white, but I thought it was too cold, so tried adding more warmth to it, probably killed a lot of the highlights in that process.

Here's the starting phase of another one:

9-1-wip.jpg

• lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    I think her right leg looks a lot slimmer than her left leg, perhaps?

edited September 2012
    Thanks lyrium, you're right about that. I tried evening them out.

Here's what I came up with in the end, the flames were kind of a happy accident so I decided to stick with it:

9-1.jpg

Natri on
    Here's a sketch I did the other day in the station while waiting for my train:

trein3.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Haha, I love it! Like a Punch cartoon!

Draw an egg.
    Thanks Halen!

This is a 10-minute quick study from the sartorialist, trying to emulate oils:

9-11-quick1.jpg

• LeviathanPTLeviathanPT Myeeh LisbonRegistered User regular
    Natri wrote: »
    Just started a new painting:

6-14-sfwip.jpg

Love the depth created with the shadows, very beautiful !

PCars-SIG2mini.jpg
    Thanks Leviathan!

Trying to capture the Belgium soccer coach:

wilmots.jpg

edited October 2012
    Mr. Craig

craig.jpg

Some things still feel off about this one, maybe I messed up the eyes by making em blue.

Natri on
  • AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'd mix some of that blue into the skin color to dull it for the shadows on the face. Right now it looks like he's carved out of copper. :p

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
    Yeah that was just a terrible attempt looking back! Here's some sartorialist sketches because it's been too long:

12-23.jpg

edited December 2012
    bpresearch.jpg

character research for my short film

Natri on
    a tonal study

12-31-tonal.jpg

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Still love your work natri :) and it keeps getting better

ninjai on
    Appreciate the kind words, ninjai! Gotta keep pushing myself if I want to do this for a living!

edited January 2013
    Good luck to you! I hope that becomes a reality! :D

What are you using on the sartorial sketches, paper and medium? It looks really clean.

ninjai on
    edited January 2013
    Thanks man, I'll need it :p
    That was digital actually, drawn in Photoshop.

Here's that dude from a television series or two you might have seen:

brody.jpg

I'm trying to do caricatures, but halfway in I always keep reverting to more of a portrait, making me end up with something that is not really a portrait nor a caricature. Sucks.

Natri on
  • franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    Are you going for a newspaper caricature, or a street-gig caricature?

If you answered "news paper style" stop reading immediately and seek help from The New Yorker.

If you answered street performer, read on...
    I have experience working freelance for talent agencies, but I have no advice if you arent trying to make $15 in 15 minutes or less.
    Ultimately, you are gonna have to open up some mad magazine and copy the old pro's. But I'd lose the paint, and computer for a nice bullet tip black marker.

The real deal with a caricature as far as I've been tought is that it is generally black and white, and depends solely on line weight to transfer info... generally. And it is not a labor in and of itself, but the excrement of hours and hours of practicing a largely under-appreciated skill.

I hope this helps some.

edited January 2013
    Thanks for the advice francium!

Ideally, I would someday like to do the kind of work Jason Seiler or Tom Richmond are doing. I'm not sure if that is newspaper style (we unfortunately don't have any caricatures in newspapers here in Belgium) but that's what I'm going for. But I also realise I am not even close to being able to produce that kind of work yet.

I once read a quote by John Kascht somewhere, he said that a caricature is a portrait with the volume turned up. But to me it is a different beast entirely. It's like a whole other mindset. Just keep practicing I guess!

but I have no advice if you arent trying to make $15 in 15 minutes or less.

Do you mean that I should be doing street gigs to improve instead of what I'm trying now?

Natri on
    Our resident caricature artist pineappleherb has some pretty good stuff. I feel like when I try caricatures, they turn out better from memory. I could be completely wrong, but it feels right to me.

His thread.

Yes, if you want to be good like Tom Richmond you need to work in public. And you need to copy his drawings so you can preload his style for your own use.

Speed is more important than a good drawing. So don't labor on anything more than 20 minutes.
    You want to keep your audience happy and not bored. And you want to make the most money per hour that you can.
    I'll bring my camera with me to this gig I got on sunday and post pictures of anything I make that is decent.
    The best no pressure gig is the hourly one. Then you can masterpiece your portraitees.

Thanks for the link ninjai, there's some cool stuff in that thread!

francium, thanks for the words of wisdom.
    I've done a little bit of the public drawing, well twice actually, but always felt stifled having crowds look over my shoulder and asking questions and all. That and not being proficient enough at consistently getting good results made it more of an unpleasant ordeal than a fun experience. Haven't done it since.

So if I understand correctly you're a caricaturist yourself? How do you cope with all of the extra baggage that comes with working in public?

Oh man, I'm a bag of nerves lol. I can't even draw in a coffee shop without fear of someone seeing I'm drawing and asking to look...
    Do you sing karaoke?
    It's like that I guess, once I'm in a place where I'm under a spot light, I just accept my fate and draw. The result has been that nobody cares, and because you are drawing a subject that is often the friend of the audience, you usually have funny conversations about what exaggeration to give him/her.

I'm a [budding] caricature artist. I started ten years ago when I was in high school and I thought i really sucked, but Errybody loved giving the 17yr old drinks at the conventions I went to work at, so I felt encouraged. Did some sixflags where I began to copy people like tom Richmond. But quit due to slave working conditions.
    It's been a long time since I've been paid for it. So Sunday is going to be interesting for me.

It is more of a performance than anything. You must talk...

edited June 2013
    Jeez, I've been neglecting the internet again.

In any case, here's a portrait study from last week, 2.5hrs in:

romy.jpg

And a digital one from some time back while I'm at it:

neesonweb2.jpg

Natri on
    edited June 2013
    I was Breaking Bad:

walterwhite.jpg

unfinished, but as far as I'll take it I think.

Natri on
    RDj

rdj_zps941d0ba1.jpg

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Man, look at you, getting all good at this shit.

Thanks Iruka, still a long ways to go though. Really digging your NatCoWriMo thread btw!

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Joiiinnn ussssssss.

Are you interested comics at all, because if you are you should totally give it a shot!

Do you have a tumblr? Because if not you totally should, I'm sure some of these celebrity portraits would catch like wild fire.

I do like comics, have been meaning to try some sequential art for a while now, never got around to it though. If I can come up with some kind of storyline I'll give it a shot!

Don't have a tumblr yet, I might start one if I can up my game a bit. In any case, thanks for the push!