As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2013 Costume Thread

• Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    Vista prints has a thing going, get 250 custom cards for $10. It's a really good deal

And despite what one might expect for that price, they're pretty decent quality to boot.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Yeah I know someone who got them. They are great quality. More than worth the price.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    I had grand dreams of costumes but I was in car accident couple fridays ago and now look like I will not be able to costume make for all my friends. I will at least be bringing my tardis back and my moogle and my friend will be moogling with me.

Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I am doing an Auron cosplay for PAX Prime and am at the point where I am putting the sword together. I've settled on depicting his default sword (http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc134/trake_88/Linkage/katana.jpg). My thoughts are that typical foam techniques won't work well with Auron's sword so I've put together the following plan. If people have input it'd be great since, while I'm crafty and have access to a workshop, this is my first time putting something together like this.
    • The shell will be 1/8inch thick UHMW plastic rated to 180 degrees. This will be cut into pieces then molded/fused together into the shell of the sword using a heat gun.
    • The main structural support will be a 5/8" OD, 48" inch long aluminum rod that will be inserted inside the shell. About one and a half feet will be extruding to make up the handle.
    • Resin will be used to fill the rest of the space inside the sword between the rod and shell. It'll have a maximum temperature of 170 degrees while setting so the plastic shouldn't warp.
    • The handle itself will have some material added to it that makes it a bit better to grip as well as be properly detailed (I admit I haven't thought of much beyond the fact that the handle will be wrapped in cloth to evoke a katana :p )
    • The sword will of course be painted.
    • The 3D detailing on the hilt will likely be done with foam.

In total using the above technique I expect the entire thing to weigh about 11-13 pounds and be around 5 feet long. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this kind of technique?

Xalara on
  • EnaylaEnayla Wing Addict New YorkRegistered User regular
    Xalara wrote: »
    I am doing an Auron cosplay for PAX Prime and am at the point where I am putting the sword together. I've settled on depicting his default sword (http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc134/trake_88/Linkage/katana.jpg). My thoughts are that typical foam techniques won't work well with Auron's sword so I've put together the following plan. If people have input it'd be great since, while I'm crafty and have access to a workshop, this is my first time putting something together like this.
    • The shell will be 1/8inch thick UHMW plastic rated to 180 degrees. This will be cut into pieces then molded/fused together into the shell of the sword using a heat gun.
    • The main structural support will be a 5/8" OD, 48" inch long aluminum rod that will be inserted inside the shell. About one and a half feet will be extruding to make up the handle.
    • Resin will be used to fill the rest of the space inside the sword between the rod and shell. It'll have a maximum temperature of 170 degrees while setting so the plastic shouldn't warp.
    • The handle itself will have some material added to it that makes it a bit better to grip as well as be properly detailed (I admit I haven't thought of much beyond the fact that the handle will be wrapped in cloth to evoke a katana :p )
    • The sword will of course be painted.
    • The 3D detailing on the hilt will likely be done with foam.

In total using the above technique I expect the entire thing to weigh about 11-13 pounds and be around 5 feet long. Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this kind of technique?

As a cosplayer who's hauled around a lot of heavy props and costumes over the years, I'd be immediately wary of anything weighing so much - even a few pounds makes a HUGE difference after eight hours! Although it sounds like your methods will hold up extremely well, I think it's unnecessary to make it quite so durable (and therefore heavy). For example, dowels work just as well as aluminum for support, and something like expanding foam would be much lighter (yet still very tough). I typically make weapons from a dowel base with expanding foam on top, carved and filled, sanded, and then covered in a thermoplastic, and it's almost impossible to break/dent them. Thermoplastics, especially ones that thin, are likely to warp and be difficult to shape into a 3D object without some sort of base to mold them over, too.

Just my $0.02, I look forward to seeing the costume!

Facebook: Enayla Cosplay | Steam: Elliria | DeviantArt: Elliria | Twitter: EnaylaCosplay
  • XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    Thanks, yeah I have some ideas. I suppose the ideal situation is I have a foam base then vacuum form the plastic over it but I don't have a rig set up to do that where I currently live. I guess the next best option would be to do as you say and have a foam base then use a heat gun to mold the plastic onto the sword. Luckily with Auron's default katana this shouldn't be too much of an issue. I might get some defects but they can be dealt with later. Hopefully for PAX East I'll have a vacuum forming setup :p Either way, thank you :)

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    My beau and I have sort of whittled down our lists (though really he's just created his, like pulling teeth), but neither of us really has the time or money lately to focus on a lot of fancy cosplay projects. I figure at most we'll probably just do one each. I was wondering, from you more experienced cosplayers, which of these you think would be easiest, or least demanding of craft/resources?

Me: Milla Vodello, Elaine Marley, Dr. Girlfriend (she's probably out due to difficulty)
    Him: Godot (Phoenix Wright), Guybrush Threepwood.

Both of his would probably be fairly easy, and I'm betting Elaine would probably be easiest for me. Has anyone done these before though, or seen any around? I'm not finding more than a few people for some of them, especially Elaine and Milla, so it's hard for me to judge difficulty.

• KagzKagz OklahomaRegistered User regular
    For people who are planning card carrying I recommend moo.com as well they do mini cards which are cheap, don't take up lots of space, and are really awesome quality. It's what I use to hand out when people ask me about something or I end up doing an impromtu photoshoot.

I'm slowly collecting more and more bits I need to start construction. I am going to try and bring another costume but I am not going to have time to make anything else so I am not really sure.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    moo cards are fantastic

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    moo cards are fantastic

I was going to sugguest moo cards but they are a bit more expensive but WOW are they sturdy.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    moo cards are fantastic
    I was going to sugguest moo cards but they are a bit more expensive but WOW are they sturdy.
    Are the minicards more expensive? That's what I always suggest to people for nerd calling cards.

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    moo cards are fantastic
    Are the minicards more expensive? That's what I always suggest to people for nerd calling cards.

$20 for a 100pk (or at least they were only $20 back when we did our wedding invitations).

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Already got my cards, standard size, from Vistaprint. I'm actually doing cards instead of buttons, but I will gladly accept buttons for cards, too.

I also had a self-inking stamp madeup with a QR code for my Extra-Life.org page. If someone gets my card and I say "wait a sec, let me stamp it for you. *KACHINK*", you know damned well they are going to scan it, and then I can guilt harass manipulate persuade them into giving money to sick kids!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10201713187378396&l=36b7a43666

6YJGH2V.png
  • The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    This is my first con and my first cosplay... I'm really excited but I have an issue.

I'm going as Bittersweet Lulu from League of Legends and need help with her candy cane staff. I was initially going to use a floaty with a rigid wire in the middle for shape. It'd have the desired dimensions, but wouldn't be able to support any weight. Which was initially fine.

However, I recently have developed an issue with plantar fasciitis. My doctor said I should be fine before PAX (and if not, they can give me a shot for the con so I can walk during it.) BUT! This also means I'd like to have an actual rigid staff that I can lean on - rather than something I have to carry. Given the desire for a smooth curve and something that can support some weight - does anybody have any suggestions for how to make a giant candy cane staff? I'd like something thicker than standard PVC pipe so it'd actually look like a giant candy cane in scale, rather than being too skinny. (I'm also on a budget... so it can't get too expensive.)

If nothing else, I may end up buying a cane - but that's kind of a last resort.

The Aviatrix on
    x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
    Well there's multiple widths of PVC pipe. Usually up to 4" in diameter.

There is? I only ever see the one size... Are the bigger ones moldable with a heat gun? Is there a risk of them collapsing, cracking, etc when bending them?

I have no clue of its usability for cosplay versus smaller PVC. I don't really know anything about cosplay techniques, I just know that for construction purposes there is both black and white PVC usually at 2", 3", and 4" diameters.

• KagzKagz OklahomaRegistered User regular
    I got mine during one of there summer sales the moo cards and they were only like 15 for 100 or something like that.

• MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So i was looking at my lantern for my Pentakill Yorick costume and i began to get slightly worried because my original plan was to use a Tin lantern i found in a craft store that i added spikes and repainted. i removed the glass in it to make it lighter as well. It does happen to have a square base and i am worried though that even though it is fairly lightweight it could feasibly smack someone. I am 6'4" and the lantern is held up by a rod to about 6'9" or so and is always in front of my field of vision. So unless i start whipping around its highly unlikely ide hit someone with it, but you never know. Should i get this thing peacebonded? or to be safe i'm thinking of completely redoing the base to be made out of stiff foam and paper mache. Also the guitar/shovel/axe is made out of foam wrapped in paper mache as well.

For the candycane question above. maybe something for christmas that is premade such as http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-CHRISTMAS-HOLIDAY-PVC-GARDEN-INDOOR-OUTDOOR-CANDY-CANES-yard-lawn-decor-set-/400467024015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3db1d88f ? or for something super sturdy you could look in garden stores for plant basket hangers. i've seen some that are roughly candy cane shaped.

Membino on
  • SomeQuietGuySomeQuietGuy Registered User regular
    Hey! So I decided to cosplay as Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite. Pretty simple cosplay yes, my problem is finding certain things like the leather holster, the vest, and the shirt. Any suggestions on where I can find those certain pieces? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Sounds like the kind of items that you find at those Trading Posts tourist traps on the sides of highways.

But if you want real leather you might end up paying a premium. Searching "leather holster" on Amazon seems to yield plenty of results.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    The vest and shirt look like they could be easy finds in Goodwill stores. Seriously, I find some of the best cosplays pieces there or in thrift stores.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • VianethVianeth Registered User regular
    Is anyone going as something not video game related? I am, and I feel a little weird about it. Do you think pax should be 100% video game cosplay?

PAX is definitely not 100% video game cosplay.

• MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    Some people go as characters from tabletop as well. My friend and my costumes for sunday are from Warhammer 40k. I've seen people go as things from TV shows (Doctor Who's, Venture Bros, Etc.) Really anything from Geek/Nerd/Gamer culture is acceptable and also you'll see things you didn't expect to see because not everyone who cosplays posts on this forum.

edited July 2013
    Vianeth wrote: »
    Is anyone going as something not video game related? I am, and I feel a little weird about it. Do you think pax should be 100% video game cosplay?

On Monday I *might* do a simple Rarity cosplay. Simply because my bf doesn't like the whole cosplay deal. And going as Rarity would pretty much just be some white clothing with a purple wig - and Rarity is the best pony.
    (I'm only going Sunday and Monday.)

But any time I've seen pictures of cons - any con - people go as everything. Harry Potter (look at the triwizard drinking tournament... somebody has a lovely costume posted there for it), Star Wars, anime, comic books, whatever.

The Aviatrix on
  • ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    I am so so late posting in this thread this year! I haven't decided on which day to wear which costume yet, but I'll have Sister of the Fox from Scrolls, One of Leifang's alternate outfits from Dead or Alive 5, (The one with the red striped pants) Anna Williams from Tekken, and two friends and I will also be the Shadow Triad from Pokemon Black & White 2. Hopefully I'll run into more DoA and Tekken costumes; it's always fun to take group pictures!

And people have pretty much answered it already, but yes, there are usually a good amount of awesome non-game costumes, too. (I went as Pris from Blade Runner one year, and I've done stuff from the Pokemon anime, too.)

OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
  • FidchelFidchel Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Does anybody have any suggestions for how to make a giant candy cane staff? I'd like something thicker than standard PVC pipe so it'd actually look like a giant candy cane in scale, rather than being too skinny. (I'm also on a budget... so it can't get too expensive.)

Well, I'm currently planning on making a semi-functional staff for my boyfriend's White Mage costume using PVC pipe and spray insulation foam. To get a rounded/shepherd hook top, I'm going to use one of those tubey-whirly-noise makers (found mine at the Dollar Tree) and use a coat hanger to shape it. For me, I'm using the spray foam all over and then carving it to look like wood before hardening and painting, but you could leave the PVC pipe base alone and just do the hook to even out the toy's ridges. Or skip the foam and use paper mache?

Edit: Or follow this awesome guide. Now I'm rethinking my whirly toys....

Fidchel on
    PAX Prime 2012 (Pin-Up Gardener Poison Ivy)
    PAX Prime 2013 (Bollywood Black Mage)
    PAX Prime 2014 (Renaissance Lady Link)
  • APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Hey! So I decided to cosplay as Booker Dewitt from Bioshock Infinite. Pretty simple cosplay yes, my problem is finding certain things like the leather holster, the vest, and the shirt. Any suggestions on where I can find those certain pieces? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The holster is easy if you're willing to pay a hefty price for it. When I cosplayed Booker for the IR party at PaxEast('13) I picked up this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014VU5SQ/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and touched it up with some coloring to match the concept art's style.

The vest is well known as the hardest part, and you're going to either need to sew it yourself or get a tailor. No one I've spoken to has found one like it in the store, and most tailors/costumers will tell you his style is only in movies and games, not having been period accurate. Luckily the game is out, so his style has stopped changing. I based mine off some concept art and used silver thread on a faux leather collar over a heavy weave gray/black cloth.
    Game related spoiler
    Luckily thanks to the end of the game we know that his style can change a great deal due to the many versions of him and Elizabeth. That way Booker cosplayers can change the style to suit what they have.

The shirt is the easiest part because you can take a white collared shirt and wear it under a black button-down (then tuck the black collar inside the shirt).

My photos - Pax East 2013
    Myself (Right) another booker (Left)
    [img][/img]Taleof2Bookers_zps16f68faf.jpg

Booker's Wallet (as I imagined it before game release)
    Wallet_zpsd7a65259.jpg

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

I have a beaten up Galco holster I got a few years back for a Nathan Drake Halloween costume, lemme check when I get home to see if I still have it and maybe we can work something out for you. =D

Sharkey1337 on
    Well, not getting things done as quickly as I'd like, but I've got most of my basics down now. The basic White Mage robe is all done...
    1044268_650395731655886_354194465_n.jpg

...and my Black Mage skirt and dupatta are ready for stenciling.
    625425_667359609959498_1566413709_n.jpg

Today's project will be sewing my hat, and if I have time I'll start on the White Mage staff.

• roxyoursocksroxyoursocks Registered User regular
    Vianeth wrote: »

My partner and I are going as Captain America and Black Widow from the Avengers on Saturday. This is my first PAX, but I don't think it's uncommon at all to dress up as something non-video game related.

• PerstephaniePerstephanie Registered User new member
    PAX Prime is just around the corner and I can't help but hope I'm not the only one going as a Megaten character. I've got my Naoto Shirogane costume all ready, but I'm thinking of whipping out a last minute Burroughs.

Any other SMT peeps gonna be at this shindig?

• DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    I wanted to go as FemShep but I like sitting down...

So probably my jedi consular from SWTOR and Flemeth from DA2 will show up @ PAX.
    Does anyone know if lightsabers can be carried onto a plane? I called the airlines and all I got was a "wha?"
    Just ask Mr. Mayhew about that one
    http://gawker.com/tsa-attempts-to-confiscate-chewbacca-actors-light-sabe-512212752

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
  • VianethVianeth Registered User regular
    I'm going as Selene from Underworld. I'll be there Saturday!

• MissAmiMizunoMissAmiMizuno Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Going as Xianghua Chai from Soul Calibur 2 on Saturday and probably as Navi from OoT on Friday.

Super excited!!!

MissAmiMizuno on
  • EnaylaEnayla Wing Addict New YorkRegistered User regular
    Fidchel wrote: »
    Does anybody have any suggestions for how to make a giant candy cane staff? I'd like something thicker than standard PVC pipe so it'd actually look like a giant candy cane in scale, rather than being too skinny. (I'm also on a budget... so it can't get too expensive.)

Well, I'm currently planning on making a semi-functional staff for my boyfriend's White Mage costume using PVC pipe and spray insulation foam. To get a rounded/shepherd hook top, I'm going to use one of those tubey-whirly-noise makers (found mine at the Dollar Tree) and use a coat hanger to shape it. For me, I'm using the spray foam all over and then carving it to look like wood before hardening and painting, but you could leave the PVC pipe base alone and just do the hook to even out the toy's ridges. Or skip the foam and use paper mache?

Edit: Or follow this awesome guide. Now I'm rethinking my whirly toys....

Just a quick tip if you weren't already aware: you can easily bend PVC pipe by heating it over a standard stove until it becomes soft, and if you do it slowly, you can get a really nice curve. When it cools, it'll be extremely sturdy. I use this method for making the base of all of my wings and curved weapons ^^

Facebook: Enayla Cosplay | Steam: Elliria | DeviantArt: Elliria | Twitter: EnaylaCosplay
    Enayla wrote: »
    Just a quick tip if you weren't already aware: you can easily bend PVC pipe by heating it over a standard stove until it becomes soft, and if you do it slowly, you can get a really nice curve. When it cools, it'll be extremely sturdy. I use this method for making the base of all of my wings and curved weapons ^^

Thanks for the tip! I think for now, I'll stick with my planned method, though, because I need something straight to affix a red glass ball to. I liked a couple different staff designs and decided to kind of combine them...I'm very odd.

• RawrrrAydaRawrrrAyda Registered User regular
    I'm going as Daisy Fitzroy(Bioshock Infinite) and Michonne of (The Walking Dead). Sunday and Monday of Pax. Though I'm not sure which costume on which days yet. >.<

@sophierocious
    HUFFLEPUFF!! '12-'13
  • ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    So for budget and ease reasons we'll probably be doing the Threepwood couple. I was wondering, for a giant Q-tip, which would be lighter for the stick at that size, a dowel rod or this PVC you guys keep talking about? I'm thinking it might be the PVC since it sounds like it's hollow, but does it take well to paint?
    And I was thinking of just using quilt batting (since I already have some) for the fluffy ends, but do you think it would be better/less breakable if I put in some sort of base to build off of, or should I just make a big fluff and attach it to the ends of the stick?