As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mercenary Kings] - Ask Me About My *NERFED* Trombone Gun

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I dig small clips + big damage + range. Also: non-automatic. I don't like wasting shots.

When do you unlock more color schemes?

Every time you earn a new rank. The notice looks exactly like the "Talk to the commander" notice after every mission, so you may have missed or ignored it. You might have more colours unlocked already. :)

Actually, I think colors are unlocked by doing certain missions. I know I did a gathering mission for the Runway Brothers and unlocked a color. Actually actually, maybe it's both.

Magic Pink on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I don't think I could ever use a gun without piercing damage now. So damned useful. When everyone else is forced to get in close, hop about avoiding bullets or waiting to strike, I'm blasting enemies through the fucking walls. Take that, flamethrower baddies!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hot tip, and why it's important to actually read and understand the shit that comes up on the screen from time to time. If you hit select/back and go to Mission info, you can abandon the mission. It'll then pop up a warning saying your materials will revert to before the mission started. Wrong! It's asking you if you want to revert all your items and materials to before the mission started. Tell it no, and you'll actually keep the shit you collected. Bloody awesome for farming items. Especially since I'm now discovering that some maps have hidden caches in them with rare stuff like track plates and such.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So the sewer shark mission is glitched out for me. I believe it's a known issue though. Hope that gets fixed soon.

Also, Not sure about anyone else, but I'd kinda like to see some metal slug-like transformations. Since the game focuses on the platforming more, it might be interesting to have things like that changing how jumping works. I dunno.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I wish I could play this more, but with the lack of customizable controls, I just cant. Doesn't work with my controller, and I gave up really quick on using the keyboard. Managed a work around, but its a huge pain to revert afterwards(editing the actual windows keys).

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited July 2013
    They said the last update made customizing controls easier.

edit: no I'm wrong. But I did find this if it helps:
    Simple instruction, start the game at least once than quit.
    Go to "My Document\Tribute Games\MercenaryKings\Configs" folder
    A file keyboard.cfg should be there
    Edit to your heart desire
    Save
    Restart the game
    Magic Happened

If your mapping get overwritten, that's because you probably made an error editing the file. Check the log file found in the parent directory of 'config'. Also you can put the file as readonly to make sure the game doesn't overwrite it again.

[h1[The keyboard controls are very much WIP. Here's the current layout:[/h1]

o
    o
    | Button | Function
    |
    |
    |
    | K | Jump
    | N | Shoot
    | L | Roll
    | J | Melee
    | H | Switch item / Item cross (hold)
    | Space | Reload
    | Escape | Display Start Menu
    | Enter | Display Sub Menu
    | 1-8 | Speak (keywords) - Not implemented yet
    | W | Climb ladder / Enter door
    | S | Crouch / Pick up item
    | A | Run left
    | D | Run right
    | Arrows | Camera control / Sniper mode
    o
    o

Magic Pink on
    hey wow caustic bullets dissolve the shields those guard troops use. that's neat!

• DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Even after that wonderful write up posted earlier, I'm still barely wrapping my head around the gun system. It seems completely counter-intuitive that you can make some guns objectively worse by attaching a magazine to them. I think it's the Bulldozer frame that I really noticed this. It has something like a default 60 bullet capacity. Adding any mag at all will tank both the capacity and the damage, even the official Bulldozer clip. Some frames need the mag or else it's only got one shot, and others should be kept far away from a mag, and it doesn't seem like there's a logical rhyme or reason as to why.

If nothing else, one thing they could really stand to do is to organize your frames by type and power, not alphabetically. It also doesn't tell you what type of gun it is, even though it does in the shop menu. You kind of just have to guess by the picture and rate of fire. But properly cataloging your collection would probably help a ton with the confusion.

On magazines:

LMGs are pretty weird. In general, you buy the magazine for it when you buy the receiver. However, on most things, the ammo magazine for LMGs can be pulled off without issue, and actually improves weight and reload speed.

Assault rifles and snipers, however, cause the magazine to split the damage-per-mag between all the rounds in the mag, improve the reload speed, and add weight.

I think that adding a magazine to a weapon with an inbuilt magazine causes the damage per mag to be split as well, but it might split or increase the base damage in some arcane fashion.

More experimentation needed.

Also some confirmations:

Caustic not only penetrates shields, it dissolves them after sufficient damage if the enemy hasn't been flat out killed.

Electric elemental does +80% damage to robuts.

There are weapons that combine things like Fragment and Homing.

Dalantia on
    steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    They said the last update made customizing controls easier.

edit: no I'm wrong. But I did find this if it helps:
    Simple instruction, start the game at least once than quit.
    Go to "My Document\Tribute Games\MercenaryKings\Configs" folder
    A file keyboard.cfg should be there
    Edit to your heart desire
    Save
    Restart the game
    Magic Happened

If your mapping get overwritten, that's because you probably made an error editing the file. Check the log file found in the parent directory of 'config'. Also you can put the file as readonly to make sure the game doesn't overwrite it again.

[h1[The keyboard controls are very much WIP. Here's the current layout:[/h1]

o
    o
    | Button | Function
    |
    |
    |
    | K | Jump
    | N | Shoot
    | L | Roll
    | J | Melee
    | H | Switch item / Item cross (hold)
    | Space | Reload
    | Escape | Display Start Menu
    | Enter | Display Sub Menu
    | 1-8 | Speak (keywords) - Not implemented yet
    | W | Climb ladder / Enter door
    | S | Crouch / Pick up item
    | A | Run left
    | D | Run right
    | Arrows | Camera control / Sniper mode
    o
    o

I played around with it, but couldn't get it to work out. I'm in a weird minority though, I guess, because my gamepad is considered a keyboard by my computer. Which you'd think would make things easier, but no. The game got really freaky when I tried to adjust the keys to work, and I couldn't figure out how to map the arrow keys at all(no primer or examples for them).

Edit: I should be able to more or less make it work with auto hotkey, despite being a bit of a pain.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Weight doesn't seem to change until you change areas. I found this out while testing my new gun...which is a hand cannon with a trombone barrel that fires buckshot everywhere, and each bullet does as much damage as the gun I was using before this. It also has a scope, for some reason.

Scopes make your shots travel straight rather then randomly at an angle and decrease the chance for a shot not to do full damage (the grey numbers)

I meant it looks silly and out of place. Especially since it is pointed right at the trombone barrel and can't see anything else.

uyvfOQy.png
    Weight doesn't seem to change until you change areas. I found this out while testing my new gun...which is a hand cannon with a trombone barrel that fires buckshot everywhere, and each bullet does as much damage as the gun I was using before this. It also has a scope, for some reason.

Scopes make your shots travel straight rather then randomly at an angle and decrease the chance for a shot not to do full damage (the grey numbers)

I meant it looks silly and out of place. Especially since it is pointed right at the trombone barrel and can't see anything else.

The scope looks silly.

On your trombone gun.

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    The scope looks silly.

On your trombone gun.

Look, there are certain things you don't mess with, like another man's fries.

There are many trombones like it, but that one is his.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I made this beauty: 12 Clip, 1.4k damage a bullet, medium range, automatic fire.
    MercenaryKings2013-07-2718-06-41-71.png~original

I call it the Diplomatic Solution.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If you need to pierce the heavens, craft the knife below:
    095F83DCEFE62DBB1F7CF3A12E7D4BE3451FAA90

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited July 2013
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    If you need to pierce the heavens, craft the knife below:
    /image

Is that your...soul?

Edit: If someone finds Titanium, please let me know which mission.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Seriously. I'm trying to get that weapon, then change my entire build to JUST USE THAT.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Seems they went and seriously tweaked the magazine round to power ratio. It's a lot more balanced and normalized now, and you can't tank a gun's damage into the single digits anymore.

Downside is that you no longer can do this (spoilered for size):
    1238wer.jpg

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    As hard as that thing hits, that reload time is a tad slow...

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    edited July 2013
    So last night I cobbled together a Stinger SMG with AP ammo. Playing around with it I noticed that it had the rate of fire and capacity to effectively allow my character to float across distances longer than a regular jump. By jumping and firing downward, the kickback from the AP ammo was slowing my fall speed. That got me thinking that if we put together a gun with a ROF faster than the Stinger, that can fire AP or magnum ammo, and has a capacity greater than 18 rounds...we could potentially generate enough upward lift to execute bullet jumps :evil:

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I totally suck at making guns.

Someone give me recipies for stuff that is neat.

New patch coming soon, in-game bindable keys.

http://blog.tributegames.com/post/56819608429/whats-coming-up-for-mercenary-kings

Lots of plans for other stuff too. I like the support this game is getting.

@Magic Pink: This gun served me well for ages

MercenaryKings2013-07-2718-06-41-71.png~original

Not sure how it performs under the new balance, I've since moved on to a Warhammer.

Capture.jpg~original
    edited July 2013
    At work, off the top of my head:
    Receiver-Stinger (SMG with a high pierce %)
    Barrel-Live Wire
    Mag-Spec. Ops
    Sight-Live Wire
    Stock-Live Wire Spec. Ops
    Ammo-any AP type

520ish+20ish elemental damage/round at full auto with a 18 round capacity. Being AP ammo, it goes through walls and since it has a sniper barrel, those rounds can kill from screens away.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular

I was using a piercing based rifle for a long time; fire right then start walking right and pick up three screens worth of materials dropped. Sure it was funny, but well.... I've switched to a shotgun, and have been dicking about with different types of ammo like incendiary etc. It actually works quite well, you spray out a big cloud of fiery, electric or freezing death. I only really change if the mission tells me that i'm going up against an incendiary foe etc.

The best thing I can say about this game is that it's so good and entertaining, that I'm rationing it out to myself by just playing a few missions a day after powering through to the fourth area.

New patch I guess?
    Features :
    Help and options menu. Edit Music/Sound Volumes, Keyboard mappings.
    New keyboard layout and mapping menu.
    Added double tap to roll with option to turn off.

Fixes :
    Fixed rank name in mission report.
    Fixed proficiency menu and display requirements.
    Fixed Python receiver crash.
    Fixed Title Screen player offset on some screens.
    Fixed name editing not allowing to use some letters because of mapping.
    Fixed equipping ammo types not normally permitted to equip.

Tweaks :
    Various enemy tweaks and fixes.
    Tweaked Quick Speak menu controls.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Started this game last night. I need more people to play with!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
    Didn;t someone say they wanted to make a Steam group? I have no idea what that even is but maybe we should make it happen.

Another small patch today I guess

Changelist for r6519
    Fixes :
    Fixed saved games.
    Fixed C4 exploit.
    Fixed typos.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Having fun with the game, but im starting to hit quite a few crash bugs near the last few levels available. Guess its time to start farming.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »
    Having fun with the game, but im starting to hit quite a few crash bugs near the last few levels available. Guess its time to start farming.

Yeah, it is an alpha :P I check their patch notes eeeevery day in the hopes of more stuff to do.

Capture.jpg~original
    Are shock grenades on titans currently bugged? they bounce off every time, where they use to go on contact. stuck on the capture titan level.

azith28 wrote: »
    Are shock grenades on titans currently bugged? they bounce off every time, where they use to go on contact. stuck on the capture titan level.

Hit the guy in the cockpit when he peeks out.

Capture.jpg~original
    Took me 2 tries to figure that out.

steam_sig.png
    Took me 2 tries to figure that out.

Took me ELEVEN tries to figure out how to capture the first steel soldier.

Eleven.

Capture.jpg~original
    Heh, yea sorry I meant level restarts. so about 6 or more shock bombs.

WHY THEY BOUNCING OFF HIS FEET?!

steam_sig.png
    Heh, yea sorry I meant level restarts. so about 6 or more shock bombs.

WHY THEY BOUNCING OFF HIS FEET?!

OMGWTF DO I NEED TO COOK THE GRENADES WHAT THE FRIGGIN FUCK ON A STICK SHIT SHIT SHIT THIS GAME SU...wait.

...oh.

Capture.jpg~original
    Seriously. I was cooping with a friend and during the second retry when we realized, we just kind of looked at each other and said "Okay" then high 5'ed.

steam_sig.png
    I figured it out on my first try.

I guess I'm a savant or something?

I figured out the steel soldiers, but i dont recall when the guy shows his fact in the titan trooper. I just get missile missile missile, jump or turn around, move, repeat.

edited August 2013
    Is there an available knife in the game so far that can do enough damage to a steel soldier for the achievement before it runs off? Is there a level with a steel soldier that does not run away after a set time?

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
    When it runs off, it will appear at a different spawn location, and retain any damage you did to it. So just check the map, and the big skull and xbones will be orange at the new location.