As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League Down Under! (canceled)

thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in PAX Australia
Hello, My name is Patrick, also known as Professor Pine.
Back in 2010 I founded the PAX Pokemon League at PAX Prime in Seattle. We have volunteers (right here from the forums) be gym leaders and give out badges (buttons) to people who beat them in Pokemon Battles throughout the weekend of PAX. Since then, we've grown to an organization that supports two leagues (one at east and one at Prime) thanks mostly to Heleor, who runs the East League.
Ever since the announcment of PAX AUS, we've been wondering how to do a PPL down in australia. This being the first new league where we've actually had infastructure in place for existing leagues, we realized there are a few things that we have to tackle first before we commit to a PPL Down Under.
Firstly, we needed a person to volunteer to be our "boots on the ground" head manager. We've got someone who has tenatively signed on so that's mostly covered for now.
The second important step that we need is to know that there will be people willing to be gym leaders and challengers to the League. That's where this thread comes in. By using this (along with our PPL forums, twitter, and facebook page) I'm trying to guage the interest of those people who are going to PAX Aus that would be interested in participating, either as a challenger, or a Leader.
So, if you're interested, please reply to this thread so we can know if there are enough people to put on a good showing of the League!

For more information on what this is all about, check out our website:paxpokemonleague.net We're curretly in ramp up phase for our League at PPL East.

I hope to hear from you all soon about your interest in having a Pokemon League in Australia.
Best wishes,
Professor Pine.

zerzhul on

• ArchaicArchaic Bulbagarden / Bulbapedia Webmaster Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User new member
    Hey Patrick. I don't know who you've got tentatively signed on to run things currently, but...I actually live in Australia, so if there's anything either I or my website can do to assist with this, I'd be glad to lend a hand.

• SaenoftheDeadSaenoftheDead of the dead Brisbane, AUSRegistered User new member
    I would love to participate in this

• djkizzadjkizza Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My bf and I would love to participate!

• Oblivion434Oblivion434 Registered User new member
    This sounds great, I'd love to challenge a league

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    9 months to make a team? Sure, I'd be in for this.

• AmmamarieAmmamarie AustraliaRegistered User regular
    This would be fun :) My Sister is a HUGE Pokemon fan. We would be interested. :)

• soldeviFaesoldeviFae Registered User new member
    edited October 2012
    I would totally be up for either a challenger or a gym leader. Both myself and my partner have multiple single type teams (I think we have a bug team, dragon team, fire team and plant team at last check) already up and running in Black and White 2

soldeviFae on
  • philomglolphilomglol Melbourne, AUSRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I'm keen to be involved as a gym leader!

At any rate, I'll be the guy handing out Squirtles named Bruce.

Edit: Being more specific.

philomglol on
    Love Pokemon? Coming to PAX Aus? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!
  • MrLukeCarrollMrLukeCarroll Registered User regular
    It sounds like an awesome idea, and I'd love to be involved in any way :)

Check out my collection and pins up for trade - https://pinnypals.com/pals/MrLukeCarroll
  • n079614n079614 Registered User new member
    My son and I would love to participate as challengers.

• ZedCavalryZedCavalry I swear, I'm not that immature. Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I'd be up for this! *puts hands up*

• minecrafterminecrafter Registered User new member
    I might be going to pax I would love to attend

• minecrafterminecrafter Registered User new member
    As a challenger

• IcefuhrerIcefuhrer Registered User regular
    I'm game

• FernurionFernurion Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    If this is still a thing, I may be able to help out as a gym leader, or at the very least participate. Shouldn't be too hard to whip up a team. Also, is there anywhere that provides information on how things work for the leaders on the ground? I've had a poke around the official site and can't seem to find anything about it.

Fernurion on
  • VeiVeiVeiVei Registered User new member
    I'd be excited to participate as a challenger. I miss the Pokémon Union Rooms in Tokyo :(

• KatiecakeKatiecake Registered User new member
    Is there any update on this? I'm interested.

Looks like the word is "not this year"

yes I know that's three words, and yes I am disappoint

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, would have been nice for them to keep their thread up to date, but I guess them's the breaks.

Maybe some extra organized individual would like to volunteer to organize a slimmed down mini-PPL down under?

The PPL website includes rules, and really we only need a few essential things (people, times for stuff to happen, physical badges to hand out!)...

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    sorry. I forgot to keep this thread up to date.

But due to a handful of reasons, we're not going to be doing anything at PAX AUS this year. Our big concerns were whether or not there would be space for us (physically) so as not to clog walkways and the like.

We're still very interested in making the trek down under to host an event, but it just wasn't in the cards for us this year.

• YugYug [ PAX Australia ] Content & Communications Manager AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    But due to a handful of reasons, we're not going to be doing anything at PAX AUS this year. Our big concerns were whether or not there would be space for us (physically) so as not to clog walkways and the like.

Shoot me an email to yug@paxaustralia.com.au, there might still be space depending on what you want to do, and especially considering that Nintendo is the main sponsor of the handheld area :)

Yug on
    I like drinking, I like gaming, so I created the Mana Bar
    paxaus_sig.gif
    Facebook.com/PAXAus
    Twitter.com/PAXAus

Yuh-Uhg! Yuh-Uhg! Yuh-Uhg!

• n079614n079614 Registered User new member
    So, I should start levelling my team again, eh?

• FernurionFernurion Registered User regular
    I recommend putting together a team anyway. Even if there's no league there will still be heaps of people looking for battles. I know I will be.

Worst case scenario the handheld lounges will be full of people with DS and battle hungry stares.

Other case scenario is maybe the big N will run an official tourney (like they do when they run shopping centre tours)?

Alright, so PAXAUS2013 was a success!

Where do we spam to be trainers for PPL AUS 2014?

This discussion has been closed.