As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MegaTen/Persona] Rise Kujikawa enters the Arena! Japan gets Ultra Suplexed on 2014/8/28

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    I think it's more the lack of having any defense stats you have to use. Like the removal of VIT is a big deal.

I can understand why they removed it. Having a baseline defense the developers can expect you to have makes it easier to balance things and makes it harder to gimp a player character.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    Gilder wrote: »
    Is there an App list so I can see what I'd like to invest in? Does the guide have one? I don't want to spoil myself if it's at the end of the book and whoops, I accidentally saw the endgame. I know gamefaqs will spoil me too if I check there. I've got 40 app points and I'm afraid as soon I spend them Burroughs is going to pull some app out of her hat that lets me whisper at every level and also recruit demons 100% of the time.

The book only covers maybe the first half or so of the game, so don't be afraid to look through it.

Neutral path question:
    So I've gathered that I have to fill the chalice by doing sidequests and increasing my rank. Is there a fast way to do this? I'm assuming I don't have to do everything since some quests are now gone.

ezek1t.jpg
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    So there's ten terminals, right? Which one am I missing?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    where do i get the next quest after the hunter tournament prelims? its one of the last things i need to do in my route

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I still need to beat Persona 2 Innocent Sin.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I started playing this today, the first SMT game in the series I've played since... that time I played an hour or so of Nocturne?

This game scares me. It is kicking my ass. It seems great, but man... I'm in the starting area, out of healing items, and just getting my face crushed.

And, one negotiation I had earlier tonight:
    Face off against a griffon demon thing:
    "YOU WISH TO NEGOTIATE? DIG FOR TREASURE! DIG DIG!"
    My responses: Dig, Dig, or Dig.
    "HAHAHA YOU DIG YOUR OWN GRAVE"
    I am dead in one shot.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    You get a healing bonus if everyone smirks? Well that certainly doesn't heavily encourage the use of Tetrakarn. Also why do I keep getting grabbed by the ghoulies when I'm walking around? Is it just a random way for the game to try and make you get back attacked?

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    finding this tournament quest is killing me...is it in a specific bar?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Okay. So good to know: Fog breath, STILL AWESOME.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

I love that there's Attack + Debuff in one skills this time too.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited July 2013

I love that there's Attack + Debuff in one skills this time too.
    I have them both on the MC. Along with energy drain.

I...I think I win?

Edit: Oh I meant I have fog breath and war cry. Not attack/debuff abilities.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    You could put the music from Shibuya's overworld map in any film from the 80s and it'd be right at home. It's that good.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    You get a healing bonus if everyone smirks? Well that certainly doesn't heavily encourage the use of Tetrakarn. Also why do I keep getting grabbed by the ghoulies when I'm walking around? Is it just a random way for the game to try and make you get back attacked?

It's the game's equivalent of pitfall traps. No damage, no sending you back a level, but you are more prone to back attacks.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    The first time I thought I was going to get dragged into a fiend fight like in Nocturne, which would have been pretty cool actually.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The first time I thought I was going to get dragged into a fiend fight like in Nocturne, which would have been pretty cool actually.

I bet everyone thought that, I swear the effect is exactly the same.

I'm pretty sure button mashing gets you out of it faster.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular

Just wait until you get Debilitate. Boom, every debuff at once.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    Why doesn't SMTIV have a release date over here yet?
    Someone tell me.
    :(

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Hmmmm I think I'm stuck at Shinjuku. If anyone can help me with the next step I'd appreciate it
    I go the clue about the bookstore at Shinjuku station. Did the quest for the corpses and there is a door in the back that says I need proof of being a hunter for. Talked to the bartender who thanked me for taking care of the corpses. How do I get my proof of a hunter so I can get through that door and keep going down the path as like 99% of my challenge quests say they are too powerful for me to do right now (~ level 24 atm).

Hmmmm I think I'm stuck at Shinjuku. If anyone can help me with the next step I'd appreciate it
    I go the clue about the bookstore at Shinjuku station. Did the quest for the corpses and there is a door in the back that says I need proof of being a hunter for. Talked to the bartender who thanked me for taking care of the corpses. How do I get my proof of a hunter so I can get through that door and keep going down the path as like 99% of my challenge quests say they are too powerful for me to do right now (~ level 24 atm).
    For doing the corpses mission, you got the talisman that will allow you into Ikebukuro. You want to go there now.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm lost in Shinjuku, and I spoke to an NPC girl who suggested a bookstore. But what I need is a place to rest. Where can I heal up?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Why doesn't SMTIV have a release date over here yet?
    Someone tell me.
    :(

Soul Hackers first, then SMT IV.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    You can just heal at the bar.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Is there any way to heal conveniently before I fight the minotaur or do I need to tread my ass back to the barracks?

Also what's the best place to grind that's available to me right now? Strata 4? 3? I want to raise some more Bufu users (for obvious reasons)

dN0T6ur.png
    There's a shortcut back to the barracks, but that's about it. And yep, stratum 4/5.

In other amazing crossover news:

tumblr_lxselpC3b21qz5ft4o1_500.jpg

This would work beautifully. Roam Kamurocho, chill at host bars, eat steak.

wVEsyIc.png
    Where the Christ is the shortcut?

dN0T6ur.png
    Stratum 4, the series of platforms off to the left lead to a passage back to the first stratum.

wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Eh. Chie is too young for a Yakuza crossover.

Eh. Chie is too young for a Yakuza crossover.

She's old enough by now.

wVEsyIc.png
    Aged up Persona 2-4 cast living up the city by day, fighting Shadows and Yakuza by night... four playables all with a different fighting style like Yakuza 4.

Yeah, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Spells' power appears to provide flat additions to damage. So the higher your Magic is, the more the difference between Agi and Agidyne will be a drop in the ocean. Apart from the MP-cost, of course. The cost will always be much higher for Agidyne than for Agi.

I know i'm not far enough in the game to worry about it yet, but

Is Bouncing Claw worth continuing to invest in? I really like the move, and I figure with enough Dex and Luck it'd be pretty crazy

dN0T6ur.png
    http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Shin_Megami_Tensei_IV_Skills

Bouncing Claw. Phys. Weak hits. 1-3 hits. Single target.

So do I need to wait for Nihil Claw before I invest super heavy in +s or would the flat additions make it more of a moot point?

dN0T6ur.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I just started playing SMT4. Prior to this I'd only played Catherine and Maken X, so this is my first time with a mainline title.

Can I say that I love everything about the aesthetic? Probably my favorite part is how people look tiny and far away when you talk to them, which I always stuck out for me when seeing images of older games.

I want to buy this.

tumblr_mp6tcaeNJl1sxd1vyo1_1280.jpg

Should I buy this?

tumblr_mp6tcaeNJl1sxd1vyo10_1280.png

wVEsyIc.png
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So do I need to wait for Nihil Claw before I invest super heavy in +s or would the flat additions make it more of a moot point?

I'm not sure. But if you can afford it, like demons just happen to whisper it at you anyway, there's no harm in boosting.

Speaking of stuff, it looks like Str + Dex adds up to more than Mag, ceteris paribus. Not really surprising, since Mag gets a few pretty fancy additional effects.

So...I might have to go from my usual stance of always neutral in SMT 4 to chaos, because I REALLY don't want to fuck with the gaeans. That seems like a bad idea.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited July 2013
    Apparently, Flynn can learn some signature skills, but not others. So I guess I need to find more lists.

Edit: Demons can painlessly pass signatures between themselves via Demon Fusion Lite, though.

PLA on
    So...I might have to go from my usual stance of always neutral in SMT 4 to chaos, because I REALLY don't want to fuck with the gaeans. That seems like a bad idea.

As it stands, the Gaians are less crazy than usual, and the Ashura-Kai make the Messians look like Saints.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

As it stands, the Gaians are less crazy than usual, and the Ashura-Kai make the Messians look like Saints.
    Less crazy, and also metal as fuck.

M A G I K A Z A M