As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Last Remnant - WOWEEWAWA

1333435363739»

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Remnant_Wiki_-_The_Last_Remnant_Guide
    Use it. Religiously.

Sidequest Guide (Will let you know when to do things, when they open up, etc. - just use the Wiki for all the details/maps):
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=122206

It's best to pick a class and/or fighting style and work towards that. I'd argue against making rush an item-based class till NG+ though (when you can start with the first skill of all unlocked abilities). Shards/Traps are obscenely powerful, but they don't open up until the halfway point for Rush which makes the beginning of the game hard. Great for NPC characters though!

In my first game I made Rush (and another NPC leader) Ninjas (2H katana + magic) for the flanking, but there are plenty of other good builds. 2H polearm use is great for a hybrid Rush. 2H axes is obscene damage for a physical Rush. If you go magic: 2handed magic weapons hit harder while weapon/shield is both more defensive and allows you to cast faster in the turn order.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Here's what you really need to know, though.

Giant Fuck Off Birds hate you, and Curse is bullshit.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Here's what you really need to know, though.

Giant Fuck Off Birds hate you, and Curse is bullshit.

So fucking true.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Curse is only a problem early game. It's the AoE spam from giant birds that make them spawn of Satan.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Thread arise!

My brother got this for Christmas and is WTF'ing over learning new skills. Apparently to learn new skill 3 you raise skill 1 and 2 first, except there's no where in the game or the interwebs that tell you what skills to raise. So now that googling has failed anyone have any handy information/links?

• Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    I quit playing this game after maybe 10 hours in because it's so confusing. I like to plan out my builds, gear, group, etc.

The game is so obtuse when it comes to these things it's just insane.

I have so many games on my plate at this point I decided it wasn't worth it.

• Options
    lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular
    I quit playing this game after maybe 10 hours in because it's so confusing. I like to plan out my builds, gear, group, etc.

The game is so obtuse when it comes to these things it's just insane.

I have so many games on my plate at this point I decided it wasn't worth it.

Agreed. There's so much detailed info thrown all over the place and yet so little of it is actually useful information that it justs starts being confusing.

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    I quit playing as well. After getting through so much of the story I got blown up by a paticular fight after being able to steamroll everything leading to it. The game is so damned... yeah obtuse is a good word for it.

I love strategy rpgs too.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    A friend gifted it to me on Steam. I hate him because he knows how much I loved it on Xbox, and how likely I am to spend 100+ hours on it all over again.

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Thread necromancy! The PSV posts reminded me of this game.

Now that it's 9.99 on Steam, is the PC version worth picking up at all? Did anybody ever figure out how the game mechanics worked exactly?

• Options
    Almost a month on and nobody wants to sell me on this game? :(

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Thought I had posted on this. It has been ~$3 in the past, I would wait for that.

It was $3.39 during the steam sale, why didn't you just get it?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »
    Almost a month on and nobody wants to sell me on this game? :(

You should probably take that as a sign.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    There is a The Last Remnant benchmark out there. It was pretty cool.

http://www.fileplanet.com/196372/190000/fileinfo/The-Last-Remnant---Benchmark-Utility

I own a hard copy of the game. Never really got into it though. Liked the frog guy.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Best RPG battle system of the generation.

Wiki open when playing required.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Best RPG battle system of the generation.

Wiki open when playing required.

Yeah a lot of the upgrades and stuff is just so beyond comprehension.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    It's an amazing game, one of my all time favorites.

• Options
    I missed out on the Steam sale the same reason I missed out on the Skyrim sale: Away in a remote secluded location with no internet. At 9.99 it's no exactly expensive, but still... I'm a gorram cheapass gamer, and if I'm going to be picking up a game for any amount of money I want to be sure of it.

It does seem like the love it or hate it kind of game though.

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Played to disc 2 on xbox... Grabbed it during the steam sale and im going to finish it! or play till Dragons Crown releases.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Last Remnant is what we call a mo'fukkin GEM.

On consoles, it's issues were pretty much impossible to get by.

On PC, they revamped a lot of the systems (check the wiki for explanations) and fixed a lot of the bullshit. Also, the technical issues from the console version were fixed, too, since there's no console restraints on PC.

So what we're left with is an awesome battle system, lots of room for customization and strategy, tons of characters to recruit (reminds me of Suikoden) and a somewhat interesting storyline. The only thing I really don't like is Rush is kind of fucking goofy.

I love this game and it's one of my favorite RPGs, and this is coming from someone who very rarely enjoys JRPGs - my favorites being the Suikoden series.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    There are so many different 'party setups' you can have based upon your strategy too, it's great! My friends and I have had utterly different team builds and tactics than each other and swore by different abilities and beat all the optional content our own ways.

Beefsticks and spread around the wealth on Arcanas (every team having the basic AoEs) and self healing? You can do that.
    Multi Ninja/Assassin backstabing teams with tanking Commanders and a dedicated superior full-caster group? You can do that too.
    Offensive caster group, pure AoE healer group, offensive item user + AoE specials group, backstaber, and beatsticks? Yeah, you can do that.

Offensive or defense you can play to your style and build a squad around it.

• Options
    Frei wrote: »

On consoles, it's issues were pretty much impossible to get by.

Not true at all, if you installed it to the hard drive on the 360 it worked just fine. That's what I played it on initially.

But yeah if you have access to the PC version, it's an absolute improvement.

• Options
    It's pretty clear the 360 version was a Beta build.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    It's pretty clear the 360 version was a Beta build.

Uh, no. It worked fine and was really fun.

The PC version is just a Director's Cut actually done right. I'm looking at you, Deadly Premonition.

Magic Pink on