As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 7/24/13 - That doesn't turn out well for anyone

2»

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Preeeeetty sure 616 is here to stay, it's just getting, you know, new people in the neighborhood, so to speak.

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Given that 2099 is going to start bleeding into 616 continuity as well, 616 may start to become a kind of multiversal hub.

Uncanny Avengers has a Kang/future Apocalypse kids conflict brewing. The Young Avengers are multiverse hopping. The X-books are about to have a huge timeline mashup. Captain America's first arc was in an alternate univese. With the exception of Hawkeye and maybe the Defenders, it seems like every Marvel Now title is revolving around time travel and multiple universes.

the villain of Fearless Defenders is the daughter of Morgan LeFay and a time traveling Dr. Doom so

there's still a little bit of time travel in there

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Preeeeetty sure 616 is here to stay, it's just getting, you know, new people in the neighborhood, so to speak.

"Looks like we're getting some Ultimate Universe immigrants moving in next door."

"Well, there goes the neighborhood."

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I like the idea of an upgraded, scarier Galactus. Big Purple'd been practically one of the gang the past while, instead of an unstoppable cosmic force. He needs to be scary again.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I like the idea of an upgraded, scarier Galactus. Big Purple'd been practically one of the gang the past while, instead of an unstoppable cosmic force. He needs to be scary again.

I agree. It used to be that the only thing capable of stopping Galactus was the threat of Universal Annihilation. Right now its like "Hey, if Galactus shows up, just have a neighborhood softball game, then he'll enjoy the after game grill out and head back into space."

The Big Purple needs to be the biggest, baddest, scariest thing in the Universe again.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Well, you know, Galactus kind of became this gentle giant dude, save for those occasions where someone happens to be standing on the planet he's about to eat. That side of him has been notoriously off-camera for some time now. I don't know if there was some kind of official explanation, nor do I actually want to know, as I'm sure it will make my eyes roll backwards in my head while I inadvertently swallow my own tongue. Even reading the reasoning will likely have that effect on me. He ain't been eatin'. Ok.

I think, more than the premise of Galactus ready to go to lunch again, what's really scary is the concept that this is a superpowered Galactus with a veritable hive of heralds under his bidding. It's not like Dude Huge wasn't powerful enough already, but they found a credible way to make him threatening instead of just familiar.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i think it isn't just there being a hive of heralds that is scary

at this point the heralds are an extension of his will, they can't go rogue like every other herald has as far as i can tell

he won't be able to be negotiated with

he will either Eat You or Be Turned Back, there won't be talking to him, there won't be reasoning, he is going to do what he is meant to do

• Options
    One could argue, a purer Galactus.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I loved cancerverse battle Galactus

Just whoa what fuck off many-angled ones I brought hated enemies with me to fight you

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Alot of the recent "less of an obvious threat" Galactus probably came from Surfer being his herald again. Surfer always was prone to pick lesser or unpopulated worlds to feed on instead of major ones.

• Options
    1459385-the_engine.jpg

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm still wondering what the fuck the Galactus Engine actually is.

Other than, you know, utterly terrifying.

• Options
    I'm still wondering what the fuck the Galactus Engine actually is.

Other than, you know, utterly terrifying.

http://www.comicvine.com/the-galactus-engine/4015-55741/

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    ROB IS BACK AW YEAH

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Rob? Rob who?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Why arn't more people talking about Batman/SUperman?

It was fantastic.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Loved that scene from Thanos Imperative where Galactus and the Celestials et al. show up and start doing cosmic kung fu on the Great Old Ones pouring through the Fault. The brief moment before the Engine rips through, with Galactus and 4 other space giants trying to keep the universe from bursting open - awesome stuff.

Speaking of a scary Galactus, there was a great storyline in Nova with such a being. Nova is trying to evacuate a race from a world Galactus is consuming and can't even get the big guy to take notice. He has to appeal to Silver Surfer in the end, who barely listens to him and knocks him around a bit. That's a damn good Galactus.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Rob? Rob who?

Robert Reynolds

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I am old and stogy and prefer a pure 616 universe.

I am now Comicbook Hitler.

Okay, before we send in the All-Star Squadron, I have to ask: Are you now or have you ever been in possession of the Spear of Destiny?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I am old and stogy and prefer a pure 616 universe.

I am now Comicbook Hitler.

Okay, before we send in the All-Star Squadron, I have to ask: Are you now or have you ever been in possession of the Spear of Destiny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x25l4sIJ3bg

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Aww.

The All-Star Squadron was basically a reboot of the Earth 2 Justice Society of America. Written by Roy Thomas in the early 80's, the series was set during WW2, featuring both more well known characters like Superman, Batman and Hawkman as well as lesser known characters that none the less were placed front and center, like Johnny Quick (who gained superspeed from reciting the mathematical formula 3X2(9YZ)4A that his mentor had learned from writing in egyptian tombs) and Liberty Belle. Several of the Quality Comics characters purchased by DC were also used, like Uncle Sam, the Ray and Firebrand.

The basis of the All-Star Squadron was that on the day of the Pearl Harbor bombings, Franklin Roosevelt called together all available heroes, calling on them to band together as the All-Star Squadron to keep the peace and prevent sabotage while a war was being fought overseas. Why not use them to fight in WW2?

Because Hitler had the Spear of Destiny, the spear used by a Roman soldier to pierce the side of Jesus while he hung on the cross, and the magical powers of the spear would corrupt the mind of any magic-based or magic-vulnerable superheroes to cross into Axis territory. Which would suck.

All-Star Squadron was fun. Some good reads.

euj90n71sojo.png