As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bring on the waterworks.

Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
I haven't cried since 2007. This isn't a brag, this is more of a confession. I need to cry. I know how good you feel after a good cry, and lately, I haven't been having the best time. A cry is exactly what I need.
Now, I don't want sad things to cry about. I want good things. I have seen a lot of the "faith in humanity restored" posts, and they ALMOST get a tear, but for the most part, it stops at the step before the waterworks start.
What I want is things that make you so happy, so glad, that you are reduced to tears. I need to have a good sob session, and H/A, I am looking at you for help.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Pictures and videos of animals rescued from cruelty always gives me a little bit of that feeling.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Films can help with this

I suggest

It's A Wonderful Life
    Casablanca

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Often times this sort of thing is about frame of mind, and not which stimuli is going to be the trick.

I recommend a relaxing weekend. A walk through an easy to do nature trail, followed by a deep tissue massage, a steam, maybe even a cocktail (meaning one don't get hammered that is counter productive) and then apply the uplifting stimuli you want. A nicholous sparks movie, videos of dogs being rescued, a christmas movie, whatever floats your goat.

Tension, and work worries are counter-productive, but a day of you time, followed by the correct stimuli will have you tearing up a box of tissues.

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    watch pixar's "up"

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Go get the book "Puff the Magic Dragon"...yes, a short children's book based on the song.

Read it out loud. Works like a charm on me.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Depending on your relationship with your Father, the movie "Big Fish" got me crying because it's got some good "I love ya Dad" moments.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ihmmy wrote: »
    watch pixar's "up"

Watch Pixar's anything, really.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    Band of Brothers. The end where the actual soldier tells the story of his grandson asking him if he was a hero. It gets me every time.

• Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    ihmmy wrote: »
    watch pixar's "up"

Watch Pixar's anything, really.

I recommend Tear Jerker 3 (Toy Story 3)

steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I think there were some life insurance commercials from thailand (?) that were good for stuff like this.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There are some movies that kill me. I cry so little these days that to count the number of times I've teared up in the last decade I only need half of the fingers on one hand.

Things that make me blubber:
    Gattaca (shut up.)
    Up.
    This:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUUx5FdySs
    and this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnA4u9CaK7A

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    The end of Return of the King always gets me

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Wall-E really brings the feels, but I haven't actually cried since uh, grade school, I think. Wife is pretty sure I'm a robot. She might be right; crying just never really did anything for me but your mileage may vary.

Gattaca is actually a pretty good suggestion, some Doctor Who episodes really do well for that, “Silence in the Library” and “Forest of the Dead.” come to mind, as does Wilf and the Doctor's talk aboard the ship during "The End of Time." You'd need to be somewhat invested in the series for it to work. Third Star might work for you, it's a british flick with Benedict Cumberbatch and Hugh Bonneville.

• Options
    Raif SeveranceRaif Severance Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

I agree with Up and all you really have to watch of that is the first 10 minutes to get choked Up. <-- Pun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0iRYycmlOI

Might need to have an old dog that you love for that one to get to you.

Raif Severance on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    Wall-E really brings the feels, but I haven't actually cried since uh, grade school, I think. Wife is pretty sure I'm a robot. She might be right; crying just never really did anything for me but your mileage may vary.

Gattaca is actually a pretty good suggestion, some Doctor Who episodes really do well for that, “Silence in the Library” and “Forest of the Dead.” come to mind, as does Wilf and the Doctor's talk aboard the ship during "The End of Time." You'd need to be somewhat invested in the series for it to work. Third Star might work for you, it's a british flick with Benedict Cumberbatch and Hugh Bonneville.

"Vincent and the Doctor" featuring Vincent Van Gogh might need less investment in Dr. Who and more than any other episode set off my waterworks.

Also the movie Iron Giant. If you can't cry to Iron Giant, you probably aren't human :P

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Grave of the Fireflies.

If you don't cry from that, go to a cardiologist to get your heart replaced.

EDIT: Great, now I'm crying at work just thinking about it. Thanks.

k-maps on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    k-maps wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies.

I refuse to watch that movie. I was going to, then chickened out and read the synopsis on Wikipedia. I almost started crying from the synopsis alone and my response was "Oh god why would I watch that?"

WALL-E made me sob like a little girl, but I love that movie so much.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies.

I refuse to watch that movie. I was going to, then chickened out and read the synopsis on Wikipedia. I almost started crying from the synopsis alone and my response was "Oh god why would I watch that?"

I watched Grave of the Fireflies, and yes, I was a mess almost from the beginning of the movie. It is harsh as fuck. But since what Arson is asking for is something that will make him cry over the beauty and/or goodness of it, I don't think that film will do at all.

Wall-E is a good choice for feel good crying, yes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    garroad_rangarroad_ran Registered User regular
    There's a Japanese TV series called A Litre Of Tears, about a young girl with a terminal illness.

It is, for the most part, the most awful thing ever and appropriately titled.

I, however, only spilled tears at the happiest moments. You may have a similar experience!

• Options
    k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Grave of the Fireflies.

I watched Grave of the Fireflies, and yes, I was a mess almost from the beginning of the movie. It is harsh as fuck. But since what Arson is asking for is something that will make him cry over the beauty and/or goodness of it, I don't think that film will do at all.

Wall-E is a good choice for feel good crying, yes.

Sorry, skimmed through the OP. That's what I get for posting on my phone during commute.

Also, Up is fucking sad. I don't see anyone up in arms about that.

k-maps on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013

Doctor Who: "Vincent and the Doctor"

Seriously, go watch this. That's what I came here to post.

It's included in Amazon Prime and probably anything else that streams Who since it's a few seasons old.
    sunflowers.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Looks like I wasn't the first one to think of Up. Here's a link to the part that destroys your soul, if you aren't willing to watch the entire movie:

http://youtu.be/YlGg4nt01G8

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    There are some movies that kill me. I cry so little these days that to count the number of times I've teared up in the last decade I only need half of the fingers on one hand.

Things that make me blubber:
    Gattaca (shut up.)

...Hee.

• Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Seriously, the moment where Li Mu Bai finally expresses his feelings to Yu Shu Lien. It's not even his death that's sad, it's all those wasted years, just hanging out with each other as friends and allies, both loving each other the whole god damn time. Too bad he's dying from poison and has seconds to live! Fuck.

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    CherryCherry Registered User regular
    One of the ugliest cries I've ever had was from the movie Hachi: a dog's tale. Very sad at first, and than somewhat bitter sweet at the end if I can remember. But honestly I was sobbing so hard at that point I couldn't be sure. Or the movie Marley and Me. Movies about animals. Kills me every time.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Star Trek Nemesis

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Cherry wrote: »
    One of the ugliest cries I've ever had was from the movie Hachi: a dog's tale. Very sad at first, and than somewhat bitter sweet at the end if I can remember. But honestly I was sobbing so hard at that point I couldn't be sure. Or the movie Marley and Me. Movies about animals. Kills me every time.

Fuck Marley and Me right up its corn hole

Up too

no really

So, some of my stupid weaknesses:

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (if you can take Bollywood, but I loved it, it is on Netflix)
    Patrik 1,5 (also on Netflix, also foreign so subtitled)
    A few episodes of How I Met Your Mother
    Forrest Gump
    Some of Terry Pratchett's books
    Howl's Moving Castle (watch the sub, it's just better acted)
    Ever After
    Shrek 2

And tons of stuff I'm not thinking of.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    awwwwwwwwww, which pratchett books?

I tear up a bit at the end of Wicked, though it's a musical they haven't made into a movie yet, so...

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The biggest thing that disappointed me about the dub of Howl's Moving Castle was that they went to the trouble of casting a Welsh actor to play Howl (a Welsh character in the book) and they never had him use a Welsh accent. (Or maybe it's just a coincidence that they cast Christian Bale?)

That movie does make me cry, though, in a good way. Heck, the piece of music that plays during the denouement, Cave of Mind, is usually enough to get me started.

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    "Vincent and The Doctor" fits this, and is one of the best Doctor Who episodes to boot.

It might be risky, because there are some really sad parts to it, but if you get to the end of Gurren Lagann (don't skip to the end, you'll rob yourself), it is a beautiful love letter to the human race.

sig.gif
  • Options
    A Serious Man makes me cry from its more "transcendent" moments, but take it with a huge grain of kosher salt, because its one of my favorite films of all times. Its also possible you have to be both of European descent and Jewish to get it.

Other flims: Fitzcarraldo, Wendy and Lucy, and this is embarrassing, but the end of The Mist kind of snuck up on me.

• Options
    Also, this is kind of weird, but the end of Fargo, but less in a sad way, and more in a "oh wow, there are a lot of just nice decent people in the world, and we don't celebrate that enough" sort of way.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Metropolis

Also, from Metropolis

Ray Charles - I can't stop loving you

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Google "sad thai commericals"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L8diP48eN0
    edited out the one with ambiguous ending

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    What the hell was that a commercial for?

Also, talented short film makers, I wish you'd just made that sad/life affirming film for the sake of making it instead of for advertising.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I had something similar. I didn't cry all throughout high school when I moved out of my mom's and she called and said my cat died (then one that had been with since I could remember).

I stopped myself and realized "I'm crying over a stupid animal..." (stupid teenage brovado on my part) and didn't have a good cry till I watch... Advent Children of all things.

I played through FF7 in high school and knew the story and all that, but at the end, when Cloud finally accepts that it wasn't his fault and let's that burden go... I finally cried.

I had two friends with me at the time, and even though we were all big strong manly sailors, they let me cry and didn't ridicul me and understood my story.

Also the end of August Rush got me to cry as well.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Are we doing games?

Several parts in FFVI, Beyond Good and Evil, The Dig, Ico, Shadow of the Colossus.

maybe it's just nostalgia, but this always gets me (and various other parts from the soundtrack):

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Shrek 2

...Hee.
    <3

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Guys, he did say he wanted tears of joy moments, not gut-punching/puppy-kicking tear moments.

newSig.jpg