As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bring on the waterworks.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Guys, he did say he wanted tears of joy moments, not gut-punching/puppy-kicking tear moments.

There are no such things. They are a myth. Like Libertarians and the gold standard.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I have two that always get me, for different reasons.

1. The ending of Kung Fu Hustle.
    When it shows the hero running the candy store, and then he meets his lost love, then they walk away as children.

And on the opposite end of the spectrum,
    2. Children of Men
    After the baby is born, Clive Owen has to sneak the newborn out of what's practically a warzone, but the baby begins to cry. What seems like hundreds of desperate looters, turn and stare. When he gets to the exit of the building, all the soldiers, grizzled fighters to a man, stop and stare - some burst into tears, some start praying on the spot, because they're all suddenly struck by this miracle that the human race might not be dying out after all.

Wait, one more, and this is a feel-good one.
    3. Go watch The Muppets (2010) and get to the part where they sing "Rainbow Connection" in full chorus. It's beautiful.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ceres wrote: »
    Shrek 2

...Hee.
    <3

I thought your admission of Gattaca was sweet. Not sure i would have thought of it that way necessarily, but it fits. :)

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2013
    awwwwwwwwww, which pratchett books?

I tear up a bit at the end of Wicked, though it's a musical they haven't made into a movie yet, so...

Reaper Man, Jingo, most of the witch books, Thud...

I tend to get misty-eyed when things fall into place, in a good way.

ceres on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shrek 2

...Hee.
    <3

I thought your admission of Gattaca was sweet. Not sure i would have thought of it that way necessarily, but it fits. :)

The ending is super awesome with the way things work out for Vincent and Irene, but the choice that Jerome makes kills me every time. He thinks he's a useless burden and he should disappear, when they actually love him like a brother...

• UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/okF5UGpivR8
    Story corps are pretty good too

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    Shrek 2

...Hee.
    <3

The ending is super awesome with the way things work out for Vincent and Irene, but the choice that Jerome makes kills me every time. He thinks he's a useless burden and he should disappear, when they actually love him like a brother...
    See, I didn't see it as feeling a burden, but more out of his own perceived necessity and something that he'd planned all along... perhaps even part of the terms of the whole thing on his end. His goal achieved and his name made, all his continued existence meant to him was the increased risk of discovery and fucking up all they'd worked for. His life was in the hands of that other guy now; he had successfully passed on the torch of his identity and had become literally redundant.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Milo and otis is a good tearjerker too.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    http://youtu.be/okF5UGpivR8
    Story corps are pretty good too

Ahhh, I hadn't seen this one before, so good. Who has guts like that at 9?!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Koyaanisqatsi, although YMMV.
    Watched it as a teenager, no idea how it holds up. Again, if the goal is more awe than sadness this is a good candidate. The self-indulgence/self-importance of it all might be off-putting.

k-maps on
    I think the goal is not sadness at all, which some people are REALLY missing the mark on here.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Homeward Bound's ending gets me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    Haha, I guess I don't get how you cry from something that isn't sad or at least melancholy. I think even "tears of joy" must contrast sadness in some way. ---k-maps out.

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    We've made it this far with no Futurama mentions? Both "Luck of the Fryrish" and "Jurassic Bark" get me.

PSN: the-K-flash
    Luck of the Fryrish fits. Jurassic Bark doesn't and screw you that was sad as hell.

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Look up some videos on youtube of soldiers returning home to animals. It's happy but oh man, it just hits you right in the feels.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    Look up some videos on youtube of soldiers returning home to animals. It's happy but oh man, it just hits you right in the feels.

In addition, videos of soldiers returning to their young children.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I generally don't cry, I get headaches instead. I think I'm broken. That said, things that might have made me make less than manly sounds:
    -Terminator 2
    -Wreck It Ralph
    -Where the Red Fern Grows
    -The last book of "The Dark Tower"

Also, there's always this:
    180px-lil_b.png

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Entriech wrote: »

In addition, videos of soldiers returning to their young children.

Does nothing for me, not a kid person, but the animal ones really turn it on.

Dhalphir on
  • Arson WellesArson Welles Registered User regular
    Wow, thanks for all the responses.

I've watched all of the linked videos, and some got close. Crater Face gave me something, and the sad thai commercial got me ALMOST there. Up, while sad, didn't do anything for me.

Like, I know I HAVE feelings...

Things that used to make me cry when I was a kid.

Anything to do with animals (White Fang, Bear, I think I may have even shed a tear at Bingo)
    The song "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce. I have no idea why, but every time I heard that song as a kid, I would start balling.
    "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

Its like, I identify things that will make me cry, and I get a bit of a feeling in my eyes, and chest. I'm all like "Yeah! This time will do it!" and then...nothing.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Chop up some onions?

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Chop up some onions?

While that might work in the short term, I think OP needs to peel back their personality and find the root cause.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Chop up some onions?

While that might work in the short term, I think OP needs to peel back their personality and find the root cause.
    I appreciate a post with layers.

And now that that's done, actual advice:
    If what you're looking for is "Aww...Faith in humanity: restored" type stories (and don't particularly care about the veracity of said stories), you can hit up Snopes and read through the Glurge section.
    I'd suggest sticking to the ones that are true (green dots), otherwise you'll just grow more bitter and cynical when you realize strangers are trying to play you emotionally.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Up is a film with the rare distinction of really changing my perspective. Anytime I start losing patience with a senior citizen, I just think of that 5 minute clip and find that suddenly I have patience to spare.

Build Fly Dream gets me sometimes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkDOOsGg-9I

This clip about 'The Culture of Tomorrow' usually gets me. Just checked, and, yup - got me again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbIZU8cQWXc

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHuve33yOVY

It's worth mentioning that Dr. Jerry Ehman of Ohio State University picked-up a signal that we're still currently unsure of the origins of. No reasonable person considers extraterrestrial communication to be a strong candidate for this signal (though most conventional explanations do not fit the bill), but the reason we even have this piece of interesting data in the first place is that, at the time, Ohio had decided that the search was worth doing and built a radio telescope for doing it (as well as other radio astronomy).

The telescope operated from 1977 to 1995, when the land was bought by developers and the telescope was disassembled to make room for a golf course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wJYpRJQVbo

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
    I am going to be straight with you here: I hate crying.

I don't find it cathartic. I find it messy and disturbing and whether I've done it front of a stranger, a loved one, or alone I always feel about a hundred times worse afterward, and the worst part is that not only has it not made me feel better... it hasn't fixed anything.

I used to feel just like you do.. like I was completely incapable of crying. I knew I'd cried, but at some point it just stopped being a thing I did. Friends cried at the drop of a hat, and I was kind of envious. It looked like it felt so good.

When I was finally moved to that point by a terrible situation I realized that I didn't do it because I usually spent quite a lot of subconscious energy trying not to because it fucking sucks. Then I saw a therapist I trusted enough to talk to for the first time in my life and I was crying much more often. It's this horrible thing that takes over, makes a mess, and leaves you feeling wrecked. I've known people who enjoy it, saying it feels good... I think they're crazy.

You really aren't missing out.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Non-criers saying that you aren't missing out on anything by not crying is like non-alcoholics saying that you aren't missing out on anything by not drinking.

What about laughing so much that you cry? Does that ever happen for you, OP?

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    To be honest, real, emotional crying gives me terrible headaches. I don't recommend it really.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    When my daughter was about 2 years old, she toddled over to me to see what I was doing on my iPad. "cats peez! cats peez!" she asked, which meant she wanted to watch me play Outwitters:
    qkkVJcp.jpg?1

The guys on the Adorables team are cats, apparently. So she crawls onto my lap and watches me play my turns on a few matches. I run out of matches to play, so I try to think of some toddler-friendly things on youtube to show her.

I land on the teaser trailer for Tiny Wings 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXUiyK1olZ8

Listen to that, and imagine your first child, the new center of your universe, is sitting on your lap and snuggling against you. Every time the short song ends, she does the sign language for "more" and says "more tiny wings peez," and the two of you just sit there enjoying being together, listening to that sweet, simple song.

I don't know if this can translate to someone who wasn't there, and wasn't me, but boy did that give me some tears of joy.

Non-criers saying that you aren't missing out on anything by not crying is like non-alcoholics saying that you aren't missing out on anything by not drinking.

What about laughing so much that you cry? Does that ever happen for you, OP?

I do laugh a lot, but never to the point of tears.

I think now, that this is getting into the realm of analysis, I should point out that I don't ACTUALLY think I'm a robot with no feelings. This last month has been stressful, and I remember from the last time that I cried, even though it was a shitty time in my life, how good I felt afterwards. I was calm, and tired, like I had just exercised a muscle that had laid dormant for years. It was like a reset button on my stress levels.

That's all I'm looking for. A way just to blow off the stress that has been built up, in a different way than I usually do. (And maybe just to prove to myself that I'm not a robot :) )

But thanks for the suggestions! Keep em coming if you got em!

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I will also admit that I laughed until I cried during an episode of Family Guy the first time I saw it. It was the episode with Brian's puppies and Peter had locked himself into a sealed glass case. Just the reaction over time had me laughing hard. No sound, purely visual, but god was it funny then.

newSig.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wow, you folks cry really really easily.

I cry about once every 10 years if that and yeah I think it's an amazingly relief. The only media things that have got me close are the beginning of Up, as mentioned repeatedly, epsiode 15 of Fruits Basket (and yes, you'll need to watch the all the other episodes of it or it won't have the punch) and pretty much any "good bye" video on Youtube of someone putting their pet to sleep.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    veRyROB.png

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Soldiers returning to their kids/animals always get me.

Other sources of crying:

Forrest Gump - His speech at the grave, talking about his son, and how he's "so smart". Done.
    Marley and Me - I'm a sucker for animals
    Futurama's Jurassic Bark episode - If you like animals, this will ruin you.

*edit* just noticed bowen's spoiler above. Damn you! *shakes fist*

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wupToqz1e2g

This never fails to hit me as one of the most poignant and amazing things spoken and makes me cry more times than it has not when I have watched it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Build Fly Dream gets me sometimes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkDOOsGg-9I

168 kerbals were killed in the making of this video.

how god how I laughed at that

that video is seriously awesome though

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAqEsLnT8_8

this video made me cry like a little girl.

JKKaAGp.png
    bowen wrote: »
    veRyROB.png

haet

bowen wrote: »
    veRyROB.png

This is actually another thing that almost got me, the first time I saw it. With the Connie Francis in the background, it's so sad.