As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fjord [Chat]

1899091929395»

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    wasn't possible to study practical humanities at my school

If you wanted practical you studied wood or metal working, agriculture, or accounting

"study-preparatory", as what I took is called, since that's what it does as opposed to educate you as a timberer or mechanic, has two lines now, social (and language, and economics) and science, translated loosely

one has stuff like economics, politics, law, further english, literature history, etc etc, the other tougher math, biology, chemistry, physics

except you can mix and match as you like so the divide is strange since it's possible to have two courses from each side of the divide

but anyway, when it comes to requirements for studies, they're usually about having had that tougher math and one of the sciences

ftOqU21.png
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

If you wanted practical you studied wood or metal working, agriculture, or accounting

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »
    it's been pretty well established ignorance of the law is not a defence.

Ignorance of the law doesn't preclude the possibility that the law could do with clarifying itself and letting people know in line with real world developments that this, this and also this fall under the category of 'discussing something outside of the courtroom'.

As you said, the jury probably needed to have been more informed about what was and wasn't acceptable. The vast majority of juries don't seem to need this clarification (the guy on the news said under ten prosecutions have gone ahead about people breaking silence on social media), but hey we'll just jail those doofuses seems an overly harsh way of dealing with someone when a warning might have prevented it. I strongly suspect that before social media people freely ignored the directive to not discuss the case, they just did it in such a way that didn't leave documented evidence. Chatting to the wife about it? Bet they did. Gossip with the neighbour? Yup.

The ignorance is like the gran in the Royal Family asking whether a vegetarian wouldn't like a ham sandwhich. Just a little bit of ham. Surely that doesn't count?

Well they have found a way to do that, they're making an example out of the first group of eejits that try it and publicizing it as a warning to others. That's how the law tends to work, it's based on the idea of deterrence.

I understand where you're coming from, because it's the same position I hold about people getting busted for joking about blowing up airports on twitter, the laws being used to prosecute them were made in a different age and aren't fit for purpose, so yeah we need to go back and take a look at that.

But like Abdhy said, I am honestly pretty sceptical that anyone could think posting about a case on facebook was kosher while knowing talking about it isn't. I don't think "I didn't think I would get caught" is a legitimate excuse for committing a crime, at worst these people were unaware of the magnitude of the crime they were committing, which is probably something that we could do more to make jurors aware of at the start of the process.

joking about busting up an airport in twitter being made into cases is an entirely different kind of problem. It's something that isn't illegal. Or if it does fall under the purview of a law, really shouldn't.

You need a very brainless justice system to prosecute those, I feel. One where it just goes through automatically, almost.

That kind of thing almost always ends up with "Threat not (enough of an) actual threat, moving on." here. Or, not jokes, because they never get that far, but statements from extremists.

Looking a lot like a threat does not make something a threat.

ftOqU21.png
    Kalkino wrote: »

we have professional - as in, teaching you a profession - lines in high school. Because why waste time on bullshit and not let them get to work sooner?

ftOqU21.png
    (not that they don't have any high school norwegian, english, history, math, etc, just that they don't need three more years of that stuff)

ftOqU21.png
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2013
    I think that people knowingly break the rule about not discussing the case outside the court all the time because they think surely just mentioning it is OK and what harm could it do? Social media just offers a new way for people to do it and leave documented evidence.

Bogart on
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Whoops, double post.

I'm not opposed to the idea of practical education in schools. I would have found it useful

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    I think that people knowingly break the rule about not discussing the case outside the court all the time because they think surely just mentioning it is OK and what harm could it do? Social media just offers a new way for people to do it and leave documented evidence.

yeah, which I think isn't such a bad thing. The more people get caught for it and suffer the consequences, the better the deterrent.

ftOqU21.png
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular

it's true but at the same time I'd have no problems busting a juror for talking about the case with his wife. It sucks for facebook guy that he broke the rule in a way that's easier to get caught, but that has no impact on whether he should be charged or not IMO.

if you're told straight up "if you talk about the case you will be slapped with a contempt of court charge", and then you talk about the case, i don't think it matters much if you think it doesn't matter, i don't have a great deal of sympathy for you over what happens next

you were told to not talk about the case, so don't talk about the case

if you assume the judge was just saying that because he/she just loves endlessly repeating the same legal boilerplate to whatever yahoos walk through the door then you're an idiot

FUN FACT TIME: Because education is a process and who doesn't love more uneccessary information?

Kart_haugalandet.gif

Today: Haugalandet!

Divided by two counties, Rogaland to the south (where Stavanger, where I'm from, is the main city) and Hordaland to the north (Where Bergen, where I live and study, is the main city), Haugalandet (the Haugaland, where my family, and family name, is from) is considered a region of its own, albeit divided, as land connections are not the most important part in this craggy part of the country (and historically there has barely been land connections at all. Walking across a mountain is a lot more trouble than rowing across the fjord.) Haugaland Tingrett is the district court.

These are the arms of the municipalities that make up Haugalandet, because you always wanted to know, didn't you?
    100px-Haugesund_komm.svg.png
    100px-Bokn_komm.svg.png
    100px-Tysv%C3%A6r_komm.svg.png
    100px-Utsira_komm.svg.png
    100px-Vindafjord_komm.svg.png
    100px-Sveio_komm.svg.png
    100px-Sauda_komm.svg.png
    100px-Suldal_komm.svg.png
    100px-Etne_komm.svg.png

Haugesund, Bokn, Tysvær, Utsira, Vindafjord, Sveio, Sauda, Suldal, Etne.

ftOqU21.png
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    @RMS Oceanic will create the new thread
    @Echo is backup

This discussion has been closed.