As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

affordable gaming PC?

S/ZS/Z Registered User regular
Hey all,

I'm looking into buying a desktop computer as I've been running games on a laptop for more than a couple years now. I'm hoping to get something roughly in the $1000 range, something that can run games without sputtering much would be great. Any pointers would be appreciated, thanks!

• Options
    KhezKhez Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Well what do you currently have? This would help eliminate what you will need. (Assuming you don't have any of the parts that go inside a PC case if you do please mention that as well :D)
    Do you have the following:
    Monitor
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Headset/Speakers (Depending on what you want to use)
    PC Case

btw by figuring out this stuff will actually let you see the budget you will have for the hardware(guts of the pc).

Khez on
    76561197967286566.png

Psn: Khezaf
    Wildstar: MeHealU
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Come over to the PC Build Thread on the Moe's Tavern subforum. Those guys will hold your hand every step of the way, pretty much.

And for a budget of $1000 you can build a very capable machine that will pretty much run any current game on high settings. Exactly how bleeding edge/future proof it is partially depends on how much of your budget you need to invest in peripherals, as Khez mentions.

• Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    Logical Increments will give you an idea on what parts to buy according to your budget. You'll also want to keep an eye open for sales and I find The BuildaPCsales subreddit to be useful. There always seems to be sales for HDDs, SSDs and RAM.

Also, for buying RAM I recommend going to your local microcenter or frys and buying 2 sticks (ie if you want 8GB buy 2x4GB not 1xGB). RAM generally has a relatively high percentage of defects, and you can use one stick to diagnose the other. If your ram just flat out doesn't work during your build, returning it through a store and getting a new set is a hell of a lot quicker and easier than returning something online.

Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Two sticks is better to run dual channels anyway.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    does your budget include monitor/peripherals, or do you already have that stuff?

if you already have a monitor you can build an extremely capable gaming machine for a grand. If you have to buy a monitor you will be a bit more limited, but if you don't need it ready like, tomorrow, you can wait on a deal and get a pretty nice one

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Haha, thanks for Batsignaling me pp.

Yeah, I'm currently selling the gaming PC I built in January, if you're at all interested, OP. Feel free to shoot me a PM.

• Options
    lostndessencelostndessence Registered User new member
    Here is a generic pre-built gaming pc that will be able run almost any game on high quality (also probably on ultra with lag).
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080NQCWY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0080NQCWY&linkCode=as2&tag=thephansoft-20

Its definitely in your price range and you'll have a good amount of money left over to purchase upgrades. Building a computer from scratch is easy but going from never having built one to trying to build a gamin pc? Still pretty easy but making rookie mistakes could mess up parts and leave you loosing a bit of money, with now way to get it back. Something as delicate as pins on the motherboard is an immediate void on return policies if they are bent. You're better off starting with something like this.

• Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    A buddy of mine just got this one and is pretty happy with it.

steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Here is a generic pre-built gaming pc that will be able run almost any game on high quality (also probably on ultra with lag).
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080NQCWY/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0080NQCWY&linkCode=as2&tag=thephansoft-20

Its definitely in your price range and you'll have a good amount of money left over to purchase upgrades. Building a computer from scratch is easy but going from never having built one to trying to build a gamin pc? Still pretty easy but making rookie mistakes could mess up parts and leave you loosing a bit of money, with now way to get it back. Something as delicate as pins on the motherboard is an immediate void on return policies if they are bent. You're better off starting with something like this.

You don't even need a screwdriver to build a computer these days. As long as someone knowledgeable helps make sure all the bits you pick will work with each other, and you watch a video or two to show you how the pieces actually fit together (if you need help, it's not difficult to work out on your own with a little reading and looking at pictures), you'll be fine.

Something like bending CPU socket pins simply will not happen if you're careful and thorough in your build process.

• Options
    LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    You don't need top of the line specs to play games anymore since lot of modern games scale very well to run on slower hardware. I have a 3 year old quad core with 3gb of ram and ATI Radeon HD 5770 and it plays damn near everything I throw at it on High or Very high settings. Will this be a gaming only pc? If so, skip the monitor and just get a graphics card that has a HDMI jack and hook it up to your TV. You'll be capped at 1920×1080 (assuming you have a 1080p tv) but the horse power savings over a gaming class monitor will be applied to textures and lighting ultimately making the game look better.

As for hardware:
    If your budget allows for it I'd get a decent size SSD 120-250gb to run the OS and games and a standard hard drive 1-4tb for storage.
    Get at least 8gb of ram to start off with, you can always throw more in later to same money upfront.
    Do you play a specific game often? I've noticed that some video card just work better with some games, look up review and benchmarks about cards and games you want to play. You might not need a 5gb monster card to play what you want on max settings.
    Get a good cooling system and power supply, they are the heart of the computer and if either fails you can get in some major trouble.

• Options
    S/ZS/Z Registered User regular
    Hey all, Thanks for all the suggestions. I still haven't decided whether or not I want to build the computer or buy one that's already in one piece, more or less. Also, for those of you asking, I already have all peripherals taken care of, including screen(s). While I'm thinking about just buying a computer whole, one problem (for me anyways) is that a lot of new computers seem to be coming with Windows 8, which isn't really my thing.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    $1018 before a $10 promo code and some mail-in rebates:

2mg34ie.png

You can cut corners here and there to knock another $40-$50 off this build with basically the same specs, but this gets you high-quality components, a modular power-supply, a factory-overclocked graphics card, and sets you up to overclock your processor as well.

If you're not interested in CPU overclocking, the i5-4670 (non-k version) is on sale at Newegg for $210 right now, and you can get a cheaper motherboard to pair with it.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I built a gaming PC one year ago to the month by soliciting random people in the Computer Build Thread. I had no experience in building PCs or Overclocking and the fine gentlemen there guided me through the entire process. I suggest you go there.

Also, I cannot over emphasize how awesome a SSD is.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I just bought a new computer, ended up getting alot more computer then i expected for the price.

I went to microcenter, which is like Fry's (a small walmart sized computer store), and was trying to decide if i wanted to build my own box, or buy a midrange dell and just pop in a new video/power supply. I didnt want windows 8 if i could help it and was expecting to end up with an i5 6gig ram/cheap video cardWin7 core system. I bounced back and forth between the build your own department and the prebuilts asking questions and looking dissapointed when i realized the dell i was looking at would have been too cramped to hold the video card i was looking at (It was a 660 inspirion and a 660 nvidia card).

I think the guy in the prebuilt section wanted to get rid of me, so he comes up and suggests we take a look at his open box section. I was a bit wary but by that time i was willing to consider it. He found stock on a 850 XPS dell that had windows 8, 2 terrabyte drive, 12 gigs ram, i7 core 3.4gighz, and a midrange video card. I kept drilling him about why it was open box and he pulls up the details of the system. Turns out it was bought and returned 2 days later a month ago, and the notes say it had a bad hard drive that was replaced. all that for 650 bucks. The same machine new was 1100. So i said yeah i think thats what im looking for. The machine is big enough to hold a replacement video card and has a bigger power supply so im set for upgrades if i need them.

The moral of this story is not to shun the open box.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular
    Yeah, you can also cruise Newegg's Open Box deals from the comfort of wherever you can look at their site, although good deals tend to disappear off there pretty quickly.