As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics in Movies and Beyond: The Sequeling

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    On one hand, great to see DC finally taking advantage of a shared universe and Flash is a character that would work really, really well in episodic series.

On the other hand I have no faith in CW giving us a Flash I would want and they would probably make it darker and grim.

On the third hard, it's from the people who brought us Arrow.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to 'Amazon'?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well, Warner Bros. figured out they were close to making a female-led superhero show, so they put the kibosh on that right quick.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    It's still amazing that fucking Rocket Racoon is going to be in the big screen before Wonder Woman.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Kyougu wrote: »
    It's still amazing that fucking Rocket Racoon is going to be in the big screen before Wonder Woman.

Honestly, I feel like this is a logical fallacy.

It's amazing that Rocket Raccoon is going to be on the big screen, very true. Once you get past that, though, t's not terribly amazing it's going to happen before a DC character who is also female.

You're basically saying "It's amazing I won that million dollars before my dog learned how to talk." :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Well it isn't just "A DC character that is also female" it is "One third of the Trinity that DC itself has pushed as their biggest, most important characters and the only member of which to never have a live action feature film, let alone a franchise".

CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    seeing as wonder woman is pretty much a member of the trinity in name only it really ain't that surprising and it's totally linked to her being female and not having iconic stories like batman or superman

Like, it is different than if you were comparing Black Canary or Vixen or Jade. The fact that there hasn't been a Wonder Woman, one of the most famous superheroes period and the most famous superheroine, movie in a world where Rocket Raccoon and Groot are major characters in a Guardians of the Galaxy Summer Blockbuster is pretty shocking.

CYpGAPn.png
    edited July 2013
    Except DC and Warner haven't been treating her like that at all.

How many ongoings does she have, compared to Superman or Batman?

DC has had enough trouble sorting out Superman, one of their two biggest characters. It's not surprising that they'd have even more trouble getting a Wonder Woman movie off the ground, when people at their company are saying things like "I don't think you can DO a superhero movie with a female protagonist" or some shit like that.

It's not amazing we haven't gotten a Wonder Woman movie when DC has shown incompetence and a lack of faith in the character.

EDIT: DC sucks, is basically my point.

Undead Scottsman on
    Antimatter wrote: »
    seeing as wonder woman is pretty much a member of the trinity in name only it really ain't that surprising and it's totally linked to her being female and not having iconic stories like batman or superman
    While I agree she has a lack of iconic stories, she doesn't have a lack of good ones.

I also don't see how she is a member of the Trinity in name only considering she has been the star of Trinity by Kurt Busiek, the Trinity mini by Matt Wagner, a founding member of the Justice League in most incarnations and on par, respect and authority wise, with Superman and Batman as well.

CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I'd say that Wonder Woman being pushed as part of the Trinity has hindered more than helped her

it means people are always comparing her to Bats and Supes, attempting to discern her iconic nature, rather than just letting her go do shit

And I wouldn't say she is really as important as Bats or Supes

for a start, she doesn't sell as many comics

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2013
    So, the Days of Future Past viral campaign is really kicking into gear. For starters, Trask Industries has an ad out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92YBR9gEyYI

And it also has a website, complete with a bio of Bolivar Trask and photos of its Sentinel program through the ages:

GxoImIV.jpg

Fakefaux on
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    On one hand, great to see DC finally taking advantage of a shared universe and Flash is a character that would work really, really well in episodic series.

On the other hand I have no faith in CW giving us a Flash I would want and they would probably make it darker and grim.

On the third hard, it's from the people who brought us Arrow.

How many of you are old enough to remember the 1990 Flash TV show on CBS? Theme by Danny Elfman! Costume designed by Stan Winston!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QszlMVDrFjc

Geek Cross-Over Special: Episode 12 features Mark Hamil as the Trickster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyXWnVY0F3U

edited July 2013
    Didn't Hamil reprise his role as the trickster in an episode of Justice League?

Undead Scottsman on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So, I think M:AA realized I was getting burnt out, and is trying to bribe me :P

I just went to do my pvp battles for current spec ops task, I haven't touched pvp in a while, and I don't think at all during Angel's event

So it was kind of surprising to receive Adamantium level prizes for Angel's season ( even got Angel himself outta it)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Ugh, I heard some people got that bug, but not me.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I think DC would have Green Lantern take Wonder Woman's place in the Trinity if they could.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    When did the idea of The Trinity first show up? It's a relatively recent phenomena. My immediate inclination is to guess Grant Morrison was responsible.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    it appears to be something Waid and Busiek have pushed

Don't get me wrong, it's not an inherently illogical concept. Three of the best known DC heroes to the public (though WW trails pretty far in third place on that count), each representing the three basic categories of superhero origins (super science, magic, powerless human), etc. It's just that saying Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are their best known and popular characters is a matter of saying what you want to be true, not what is true.

Because if you were to actually list the most popular DC superheroes, you'd get Batman and Green Lantern, with everyone else way behind. And if you wanted to list the most well known DC superheroes, you'd just get Batman and Superman, with everyone else even further behind.

• CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Yeah. It's been around for as long as I can remember, even if it wasn't called the trinity. Everyone just recognizes those three so they've always defined DC.

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    I think DC would have Green Lantern take Wonder Woman's place in the Trinity if they could.

The problem with Green Lantern as one of the Trinity is that you can't have FIVE guys as one part of a trinity. No matter how hard they keep trying to make Hal the center of Green Lantern, you'll still get those readers who prefer Kyle, John, or Guy. There's no 3 different Batmen, even with Morrison's Batman Inc. you know which one is the real deal.

Martian Manhunter's too alien and too obscure
    Aquaman's been the butt of too many jokes for too long

You could maybe make a case for the Flash.

Considering how often they've rebooted Wonder Woman and screwed with her character, she only has a token presence. So having Hal be part of the trinity wouldn't be that different.

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I thought that Trinity idea was basically that they were the 3 only characters to have been published since the Golden Age pretty much constantly.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    edited July 2013
    Considering how often they've rebooted Wonder Woman and screwed with her character, she only has a token presence. So having Hal be part of the trinity wouldn't be that different.

hehehe

The world only knows and cares about one Wonder Woman, and she was played by Lynda Carter.

Crimsondude on
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    I thought that Trinity idea was basically that they were the 3 only characters to have been published since the Golden Age pretty much constantly.

Yep, the only three continuously published since the 40s.

[But there's an unconfirmed story that in Marston's original contract with All-American there was a clause that Wonder Woman's rights would return to his estate if her book was stopped, so it's less of a boast then with Superman or Batman.]

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Remember TomJane's awesome Punisher short?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDYL6oECjU

Here's another short in the same vein. I won't spoil the subject, but suffice it to say it's worth your time.

I love this interpretation of the character.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I like that way better than the Punisher short

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Marvel just needs to just write Adi Shankar a check and let him tackle any character he wants who isn't currently tied up in a movie.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited August 2013
    Man , I'm like 7 mins in and just clued in to who it is! omfg! and yay still 10 mins left!

edit: altho does lose a point for playing Final Countdown and not having Gob show up!

edit2: Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

WiseManTobes on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Man , I'm like 7 mins in and just clued in to who it is! omfg! and yay still 10 mins left!

edit: altho does lose a point for playing Final Countdown and not having Gob show up!

edit2: Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I figured it out really quickly; as soon as they put up
    Eddie B.

Which made me want to watch it more to see where they were going with it. I was not disappointed.

Season 2 is now out for Avengers Alliance, beyond that I don't know much cause have to head to work heh

( Was just popping on to do my gifts and big season 2 messages everywhere)

• ryvenryven Registered User regular
    wolverine question
    so is he going to get his adamantium claws back somehow

Maybe. Probably. It is unknown.

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    ryven wrote: »
    wolverine question

I'll bet

(DOFP spoilers maybe? I think they've talked about this in interviews)
    His mind is being sent into his body in the 70s, so it'd be post Weapon X but before The Wolverine

If I was going to bet money, I'd put some down on that becoming his body permanently, so he'll have never lost them to begin with.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    wolverine question

I'll bet

His mind is being sent into his body in the 70s, so it'd be post Weapon X but before The Wolverine

If I was going to bet money, I'd put some down on that becoming his body permanently, so he'll have never lost them to begin with.
    Actually that synopsis was disproven.

Which as a side-note means Kitty won't be developing inexplicable powers.

Quire.jpg
    Magneto can probably fix it.

wolverine question

I'll bet

Actually that synopsis was disproven.

Which as a side-note means Kitty won't be developing inexplicable powers.

Actually you're half right. Wolverine is being mind swapped, but Kitty isn't doing it. It is Magneto and Professor X working together according to the SDCC trailer.

CYpGAPn.png
    So it's all but official that Ultron
    is Stark's mistake.

This discussion has been closed.