As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There are many Fantasies; but this, like the last, was Final [FFXI]

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    sonofabitch I thought it started on the 15th not the 10th. ><

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Yeah, so are they gonna do anything about the log in event and the downtime? They've had a lot of downtime recently. =\

Fortunately last night was the only night to affect us from logging on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think the downtime screwed me up. I just logged all my characters in and got credit for the 4th login, and they have 100 points each.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    And for the 5th login, you get 500 points bring the total up to 600.

• Options
    The amount of points you receive during this campaign varies depending on the number of logins. At certain breakpoints you will receive a bonus.

First to Fourth Logins
    The first login will provide you with ten points, with the number increasing in increments of ten for the second login and beyond.

Sixth login and beyond
    Each login will provide you with one hundred points.

Bonus points
    You will receive a bonus of five hundred points for each login that is a multiple of five (five, ten, fifteen...). As a special bonus, players reaching their eleventh login will receive 1,100 points

I wouldn't mind if they extended it a day for the downtime; even though it didn't really effect me, so I can get one more day of points. :P

Either way, even missing the first two days, assuming I don't miss any more, I should still be able to get over 4k on my main and mule. Buy the chocobo +1 hat on my mule and...dunno on my main.

• Options
    The hats are Ex though, so you know.

• Options
    Most EX things are still mail-able to the same account, though I suppose this might not be?

The moogle suit I won from uh...something last year, I sent to my mule, it was fine. I'm guessing this will be too.

• Options
    Didn't know you could do that.

• Options
    The only EX things that I know of you can't send between characters on your account are the XP rings; which is disappointing. :P

• Options
    I can't send myself the mask.

• Options
    Doh. :(

Maybe they'll fix it? I can't imagine they won't, there are so few things you can't mail between characters on the same account. I mean, I just got some rare/ex things from the mog bonanza and mailed them fine.

Sometimes it takes a bit longer than usual for the EX items to 'light up' at the mailer; it has to check against the character name then figure out if the item can be mailed.

Otherwise, dunno. :( Still gonna get the mask on my mule; even if it never gets fixed, I'd rather have it on him anyway.

• Options
    http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/11th/login01.html
    * The chocobo masque and chocobo masque +1 may not be delivered to different characters on the same account.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    So I'm doing the 14-day trial and decided to go with RDM.

At what point should be casting black magic spells instead of casting Dia then whacking things with a sword, running solo? Is there even one? I know later I get magic buffs for my melee attacks, so I'm not sure what my strategy should be and when it should change...

• Options
    Red Mage specializes in buffs and enemy debuffs. Pretty much your whole 'career' you won't be doing serious offensive DD with magic. In parties you would be using a wand or a staff for the stats rather than hitting things with a weapon. It really shouldn't be thought of like a sometimes White Mage and sometimes Black Mage. It is something else entirely.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Red Mage specializes in buffs and enemy debuffs. Pretty much your whole 'career' you won't be doing serious offensive DD with magic. In parties you would be using a wand or a staff for the stats rather than hitting things with a weapon. It really shouldn't be thought of like a sometimes White Mage and sometimes Black Mage. It is something else entirely.

I know all this, more or less. Doesn't change my question RE: soloing tactics.

edit: That wasn't meant to be snippy but it sure looks it, whoops.

Kamar on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    My recommendation is to solo as little as possible. You can do it, but the game experience is much better and faster in groups. As for using weapons, if you are soloing then you should keep using a sword as long as the monster is on you so as to do damage between casting. The proper balance between hitting with a weapon and nuking with spells is going to be one of trial and error though, and the results will be heavily influenced by what gear you equip yourself with.

Edit: And Dia is a dot that also reduced enemy defense. You should cast it any time it wears off. Just never use it with Bio, as the two cancel each other out. Never not Dia-ing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Huh, I thought the 'field manual training regime of weak monsters' was supposed to be fast for leveling for a while? I play MMOs on autopilot while I watch shows and whatnot, usually, (keeps my ADHD busy) so soloing most of the time seems more appropriate than dragging down some party.

• Options
    Field manuals are faster than doing nothing but twiddling your thumbs while waiting for a party, but if you have a party then it is like someone hit the turbo boost.

• Options
    Gotcha.

On a completely different note...with Windower running all-out with double resolution and whatnot, this game can look pretty good.

• Options
    Rule number 1 of Windower, you do Not talk about Windower.

Rule number 2 of Windower, you do not Talk about Windower.

:P

• Options
    Thanks to 'technical difficulties' extending the login campaign an extra day, I managed to get 4300 points on both my characters so yay.

Though, in this cabin in the middle of nowhere it takes about a half hour of constant disconnects during login to even log in at all; but since today should be the last possible day of logging in, it's all good.

now to just wait till I get home Saturday night or Sunday morning to buy all the crap with them.

• Options
    Someone please show me how to do Synthesis so I can combine these two hats!

• Options
    Rule number 1 of Windower, you do Not talk about Windower.

Rule number 2 of Windower, you do not Talk about Windower.

:P

I am Jack's permanent ban.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I have 16,500 points. What shall I do with them?

• Options
    Committed genocide against the lizards and turtlemen of North Gustaberg, got myself up to 17. Debating whether I want to try partying or just keep doing field manuals...I have no idea where I would find a party, mind, since everywhere I've been has been devoid of other players. And I'm sure being on a trial introduces some extra hurdles.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    You can search for players. /sea all 17-20

Edit: Oh, a trial account. I don't know what restrictions those have.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    so the Abyssea and Atma Axtravaganza started yesterday. Goes until October 11th.

Here's a rundown of what it is:

1) During the campaign you can get the 3 Abyssea boosters for free if you don't already have them. AFAIK this permanently puts them on your account; but it has to be done manually and during the campaign.

2) You get 11 atma to start out with. Normally you start out with none and need to earn them via various means like killing bosses etc. They provide bonuses while you're in Abyssea zones if you have them 'equipped'. If you have played Abyssea you may already have some of these already. Having these atmas don't count as having beat their relevant bosses, so any quests that require defeating the boss must still be done.

3) You get a free Lunar Abyssite. These are how you equip Atmas; there are normally 3 you can acquire to have 3 active Atmas, so this gives you one free. It's the one you would normally buy from the Curor NPC, so if you already have that particular one you get a free 100k Curor.

4) 100k Curor. This is used to buy all sorts of things from gear to Abyssea maps and upgrades. 100k isn't a ton in the big picture, but like most every other reward here, it is really really nice for a new player.

5) You get more Traversers stones up front. For long-time players this won't matter. I think I have literally thousands of stones in stock; but early on in your Abyssea career it's actually surprisingly easy to burn out your stone stock, so this should help mitigate that and make it so you can always go to Abyssea when want, even if you're not managing to get time extension chests.

6) Bonuses to your 'lights'. This is actually kinda complicated and I'm not gonna bother explaining it. :P For a new Abyssea player it won't really matter too much anyway.

In addition recent changes to Abyssea makes most of this even more beneficial:
    Adventuring in Abyssea is even easier now that the August 6 version update has been implemented, thanks to the following adjustments.
    * These adjustments will remain in effect even after the campaign concludes.
    - The likelihood of receiving seals after completing quests has been increased!
    - Adventurers may now exchange three pieces of Empyrean footwear for one of their choice!
    - Adventurers only need to exchange 5,000 cruor for Empyrean equipment in Scars of Abyssea and Heroes of Abyssea areas instead of the previous 20,000 to 25,000!
    - Adventurers no longer need to expend as many resistance credits to obtain certain items!

The curor cost reduction is wonderful for new players, as is getting seals easier from quests and turning in boots; as getting your Empyrean boots for the right job can sometimes be really frustrating.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    The pretty blah class system of FFXIV had me reminiscing about this game. Two questions:

1) Is there seriously no easy "forgot my account name" for the playonline shit still? I still have to go through customer service? I remember it was RBBU... something. But that's it.

2) Have they improved caster subs for melee primaries? Caster sub always kind of sucked for them because the subjob capped your skill level at half your max. I always thought being able to cast a subjob's offensive spells would've had some functionality if you could ever actually hit with them, but the halved skill ceiling always kind of fucked that.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So I got the complete collection of this for very cheap Thursday but after 4 days of trying to get it to work, I gave up and uninstalled it. How the heck can I cancel the subscription? I keep trying in the SE Account Management page but it keeps saying the service is down for maintenance.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    So stuff.

Login Campaign Four is now going on. Apparently I missed 3, and what I thought was the first was the second, so I missed the first too?

Man I don't even know. I wish SE would email about this stuff. There was also a double xp weekend a week or two ago and it had special drops in battlegrounds; missed that too! Grrrr.

The current login campaign ends on the morning of the 2nd, so, if my maths are right, if you log in every day starting today, you can barely get enough (1500) points to get the base chocobo suit and/or bomb masque. They also added in 2 new statues in campaign 3, but they're 2k each, so you can't get them if you didn't start logging in before today. :(

Hopefully they'll do one or two more before the 11th anniversary stuff ends.

It's also Harvest Festival. Nothing new this year. If anyone has an active account though, I wouldn't mind getting pitchforks.

Also, apparently one of the recent version updates made it so you can send mail from your mog house. That's pretty awesome.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Damnit, going to be out of town this weekend.

• Options
    I got an email about suspicious login activity, and now I am expected to change my password.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Repeat login #5 is coming up starting on sunday.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/11th/login05.html

No chocobo head/body for this one (still has the bomb head) and lacks the rarer statues from the last 2 :(

But it has most of the items you need for +2 emyprean armor if you're interested in that (even though it's all pretty much universally subpar compared to even entry SoA gear), so hey. There's also a new set of stuff you can grab, and make a +1 of a shirt to get -5% vendor prices in SoA so that's something.

EDIT: If my maths are right, if you log in every single day you'll end up with 4500 points.

Also there's a nomad moogle wand, which I don't think has been on the thing before and is super rare otherwise in past events for 1000pts.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Repeat login campaign 5 started today.

Also keep an eye out, the last few have had not-so-announced double xp weekends during them, so this might too.

• Options
    I notice that for this login campaign, I got 10 points for logging in instead of 100.

• Options

• Options
    OK.

• Options
    Special FINAL FANTASY XI Eleventh Anniversary Campaign!

Double...lots of stuff, including xp. 11th-25th.

There's actually a ton of stuff in there.

• Options
    Active Adventurers Appreciation Campaign: If you've had an active account 1Oct - 30Nov they'll mail you a voucher for a free item, per POL account. The items are pretty meh, some old level 70 gear or just some other stuff. Not a big deal, really. IMO the best reward is the Undicentennial Ring, which was the reward for this years normal AAC; 11 charges 11111 bonus XP; they're rare/ex though so if you haven't used your past one you can't pick up another.

11th Return to Vana'diel Campaign: if you've ever had a POL account (that isn't banned) you can play for free Dec 11 - Dec 23. And there's a 'free' trial of Seekers Dec 6 - Dec 23. The wording makes it sound like you have to have an actual active account for this one, but I'm not sure.

• Options
    FFXIV & DQX crossover events will start on Dec 11

Get some slime gear from DQX and some Spriggan gear from FFXIV's tie ins (neither game is required, entirely self contained in XI).