As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] The Sale is over, but remember that Winter is Coming.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So on the flip side of Quake discussions - I've been looking at maybe some cheap ways to squeeze a bit more power out of my system. My PC is built from other's leftovers, but I haven't hit a game I can't play yet. I have a Q6600 CPU, 4 GB Ram, and a GTS250 video card.

My first thought is to overclock the CPU a bit, I see a lot of folks going to 3.0ghz safely. But my second thought is that maybe there are cheap video card options out there I should look into since mine is probably a few years old and if I don't need the bleeding edge there might be something cheap out there. Any thoughts on video cards?

You should get some thoughts in the pic build thread, but right off the top of my head, there are plenty of sub-$200 video cards that would make great upgrades for you.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt that the "do whatever interests you" policy really applies to tech support. Just like it doesn't apply to the folks who do building maintenance, security, and cleaning. They advertise that because it sounds better than "do whatever interests you as long as we decide you can be that kind of employee."

Portal 2's DLC was made by a guy from customer support. He got the job by abandoning his CS post and attending the meetings.

steam_sig.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    I sincerely doubt that the "do whatever interests you" policy really applies to tech support. Just like it doesn't apply to the folks who do building maintenance, security, and cleaning. They advertise that because it sounds better than "do whatever interests you as long as we decide you can be that kind of employee."

Portal 2's DLC was made by a guy from customer support. He got the job by abandoning his CS post and attending the meetings.

Normally I would agree with a post like jclast's.

But what other possible explanation is there for how horrifyingly bad their customer service is and has neen for some time?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    So on the flip side of Quake discussions - I've been looking at maybe some cheap ways to squeeze a bit more power out of my system. My PC is built from other's leftovers, but I haven't hit a game I can't play yet. I have a Q6600 CPU, 4 GB Ram, and a GTS250 video card.

My first thought is to overclock the CPU a bit, I see a lot of folks going to 3.0ghz safely. But my second thought is that maybe there are cheap video card options out there I should look into since mine is probably a few years old and if I don't need the bleeding edge there might be something cheap out there. Any thoughts on video cards?

I hope no one minds me bumping this for the evening crowd but any ideas on a non 400 dollar video card that might still be an update for me?

I just uprgraded from a system with that same CPU/RAM, and it was able to handle a 560Ti easily. I can't imagine that wouldn't be a bump up from a 250, and you can snag one for around $160.

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Managed to finish Evoland, Serious Sam 3 and Gemini Rue over the past few days, backlog is slowly declining!

Think I'm gonna finish Rainslick 3 next then move on to Remember Me.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    XCOM: EU is so good, you guys. I know you all knew that already, but I had to exclaim it to somebody.

Shadowrun Returns had me craving some X-COM like action lately, and lo'n'behold I bought EU in the Dale. Fuck yeah, go me. Good decision.

• BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    XCOM: EU is so good, you guys. I know you all knew that already, but I had to exclaim it to somebody.

Shadowrun Returns had me craving some X-COM like action lately, and lo'n'behold I bought EU in the Dale. Fuck yeah, go me. Good decision.

Only thing I regret during the dale is buying GTA4 over Gunpoint. The rest of my decisions are fuck ya go me decisions.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I regret missing my intended roundup of buying things that were on sale at the end that just didn't turn up on a daily or flash sale.
    There were a number of them on my wishlist that I decided to hold off on in case of dailies which obviously there were a good number of, but thinking Monday was the final day of the sale and it was a travel day for me I didn't check in until late that night, and it had ended at 10am.
    But I got plenty on the sale. I'm trying hard to resist Shadowrun for now while I sample through all these unplayed games.

• HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    Posting again for the evening crowd.
    In honor of my impending birthday (30 years? Nah, couldn't be), let's have a giveaway! This is my first attempt with Steamgifts, so we'll see how it goes. It's open to the G&T Adventure Team group. Good luck!

signature.png

steam_sig.png
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular

Only thing I regret during the dale is buying GTA4 over Gunpoint. The rest of my decisions are fuck ya go me decisions.
    My only regret was not having the money to buy more gifts for people during the sale.

Sorry for not being classy enough, guys! :(

• bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    Thanks to @Rhyen for Trine 2 Complete Story! I'll physics everything in sight in your honor.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Holy shit, you guys.

Rise of the Triad.

It's gooooood.

Also, much lols to be had.
    8BC4EE9A05B07A01BF43B5859A78BA0202FEC27E

Man, I took that same damn screenshot...

camo_sig2.png
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The new Bundlestars bundle looks pretty interesting. For a dolla you get Wasteland Angel, Crash Time II, and Tank Universal.

Wasteland Angel is a top down arcade style vehicle based shooter that had some good press when it released.

Crash Time II looks like Midtown Madness crossed with a little bit of Burnout.

Tank Universal looks like a modern day Assault Rigs.

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    So....I suck at Surgeon Simulator and Train Simulator. I keep killing Bob and I keep crashing my train. Just felt like sharing

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I asked a few days ago about selling TF2 items that Valve doesn't put up on the marketplace. I found tf2wh.com which runs similar to a card trade bot that was posted before the dale. I just put up some stuff I was never going to use and got back an item that I could list on the marketplace. Hopefully very soon, for all of 5 minutes of work I will have made $3 in my Steam wallet. Seems secure, and you login via Steam (like Steamgifts) so I did not even have to make an account anywhere, and I did not have to type anything into their site at all.

EDIT: And $3 made. Process seems legit to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    The new Bundlestars bundle looks pretty interesting. For a dolla you get Wasteland Angel, Crash Time II, and Tank Universal.

Wasteland Angel is a top down arcade style vehicle based shooter that had some good press when it released.

Crash Time II looks like Midtown Madness crossed with a little bit of Burnout.

Tank Universal looks like a modern day Assault Rigs.

Wasteland Angel is pretty fun. Nothing to write home about but easily worth throwing a buck at for some mindless entertainment.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    SPACE HULK!

signature.png

(G&T Adventure Team)

/bump!

/bump.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Anybody else having trouble getting card drops in Prime World Defenders? I let it run for at least an hour, played it, and got no drops.

camo_sig2.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Argh. I really want RoTT now. Stop making me want games, guys! I'm trying to actually get a decent hobbit storm going for a few days from now! (It's actually my own birthday in a few days)

M A G I K A Z A M
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    ok holy crap,

finally got the steamgifts thing figured out so everything should be sent out from that first batch. i think instead of doing another big group i'll do one at a time and not worry about multiple winners or anything like that.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    ok holy crap,

finally got the steamgifts thing figured out so everything should be sent out from that first batch. i think instead of doing another big group i'll do one at a time and not worry about multiple winners or anything like that.

And huge thanks for F.E.A.R.!

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Mad props to @ArcSyn for Capsized.

Here's the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vST6hVRj2A

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I am still mildly homeless and internetless. I have rise of the triad in my steam thanks to you people and your rampant gift wars, but no way to play it for like, a week. Curses!

The people who were in my apartment this past year need to turn off their Comcast before Comcast will let me turn mine on. I don't even move in till the second though. Curses!

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Congrats to @Jeix for winning the X SuperBox! Please pick up your items at the earliest convenience.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    ok holy crap,

And huge thanks for F.E.A.R.!

just slo-mo dropkick a dude, slide kick his friend when you hit the ground and shotgun someone in the face and watch the slo-mo hell you've unleashed for me.

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Iolo wrote: »

But what other possible explanation is there for how horrifyingly bad their customer service is and has neen for some time?
    I'm also reminded of that hardware lady that got fired a couple months ago. They gave her a ton of money to build a rapid-prototyping lab, but wouldn't let her hire technicians to run the machines.

There's no reason Steam couldn't have amazing customer service, but Valve apparently has issues about hiring low-level employees

SaraLuna on
  • Mercutio87Mercutio87 So build that wall and build it strong cause We'll be there before too longRegistered User regular
    So imagine you have a wishlist that has been hammered over and over. Imagine that none of the games on it are on sale anymore and you feel relief as the unending stream of gifting recedes. Now picture @Luchaire comes along and gifts you Faerie Solitaire because sale only gifting is for wimps.

The point is even with Steam conspiring against her, she can not be denied, and we are all doomed to unending class.

Iolo wrote: »

I'm also reminded of that hardware lady that got fired a couple months ago. They gave her a ton of money to build a rapid-prototyping lab, but wouldn't let her hire technicians to run the machines.

There's no reason Steam couldn't have amazing customer service, but Valve apparently has issues about hiring low-level employees
    On one hand, it's cool that a guy working customer support can go up to the big guys and say "Hey! I'm making this DLC! Because I work for Valve, and that's how we roll!" On the other hand, it's fucking atrocious that he wasn't fired for abandoning his job in favor of doing something more fun. Seriously, you get hired to do a job, you do that job. You want to make cool stuff and prove yourself - you do it in your off time and then you get transferred out of customer support. Because when everybody in CS can do whatever they want one guy is going to make neat DLC while everybody else surfs reddit and nobody's problems get resolved.

camo_sig2.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Trying to play RotT, but it says I have to create an account or something, but it can't connect to the server. It won't even let me play offline. Anyone else having this issue?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited August 2013

You should get some thoughts in the pic build thread, but right off the top of my head, there are plenty of sub-$200 video cards that would make great upgrades for you.

650ti for $150 on NewEgg

And this one is 2GB with 2 Fans vs the EGA one with 1GB with 1 Fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125446

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Trying to play RotT, but it says I have to create an account or something, but it can't connect to the server. It won't even let me play offline. Anyone else having this issue?

Same issue all day, just choose play offline and try again later when servers come up. Can't multiplayer until account creation comes back up, unfortunately.

camo_sig2.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    signature.png

signature.png

uyvfOQy.png
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    @Banzai5150 has proved he has a long memory and holds a grudge, Castlevania should be a wonderful way to spend the rest of my day.
    many thanks.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Defiance players - Is the Deluxe Upgrade worth it? Also I remember hearing about entering a gazillion codes somewhere for something? Is that still a Thing? Also - I'm playing, so once I get a handle on the game, hit me up for things and stuff!

50433.png?1708759015
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Congrats to @Jeix for winning the X SuperBox! Please pick up your items at the earliest convenience.

Thanks a ton! Been meaning to break out the joystick and this is the perfect excuse.

• BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    RotT is awesome. That is all.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks for the video card tips in thread and by Pm. I think I'll start looking around for a post vacation purchase. The numbering on these things is just a massive cluster fuck.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So, you know how when you take screenshots in a game, Steam will use one of your screenshots as the background image in your game list?

I just realized that a disproportionate number of my background images are masturbation jokes and dudes getting shot in the junk.

Maybe that says something about me as a person.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    So, you know how when you take screenshots in a game, Steam will use one of your screenshots as the background image in your game list?

I just realized that a disproportionate number of my background images are masturbation jokes and dudes getting shot in the junk.

Maybe that says something about me as a person.

?

• CourtOfOwlsCourtOfOwls Registered User regular
    A word to the wise on X-com. If you think it would be a great idea to make all of your friends X-com characters, its not, it is absolute chaos. People will hate you when you get their character killed, and people WILL die. The ones who live will love you, and shower you with gifts like you're Alistar in every run of Dragon Age I have played (someone even bought me a beer when he found out his character had
    psychic powers
    ).

This discussion has been closed.