As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV: ARR] Old Thread. Use the New Thread!

• Options
    KhezKhez Registered User regular
    I like friends!

me2!

Khez wrote: »
    I need some friends to level/quest with. Who wants to be my friend!

Plenty of those around here, We'll all be rolling on Sargatanas once we can actually play the game again. You should join us!

Alright, well guess I'll see how it rolls. It seems my experince is lets all join a guild then if your lucky we will play together. At least we can share the same chat room! (zZzZ :D)

76561197967286566.png

Psn: Khezaf
    Wildstar: MeHealU
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/510

Images of the Summoner "Egis". Ifrit, Titan, Garuda. Kinda disappointing really, they're so...dinky.

I'm a little confused by this. I thought we all knew that they wouldn't be the actual primals? These are basically exactly what I expected. I mean, sure they're not huge summons but could you imagine everyone running around with anything larger than those? It would get pretty crowded fast...

I don't think everyone is as up to date as some of us are in regards to FFXIV: ARR ;)

A lot of people are probably expecting similar to the summons in FFXI whereas for those of us who have been following the game closely we realize that the Summoners are getting smaller elemental versions instead.

It's cool to see Garuda and Titan though, I hadn't seen images of those yet :D. I'm very much looking forward to making my summoner once I get my Arcanist up to the appropriate level.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to call out Fiaryn specifically. It's just what I'm seeing a lot of boils down to: Why is my summon not going to take up my entire screen?!?

Either way, I actually like the designs.

I agree, as much as I liked the designs in FFXI, it really lost it's luster when you saw three or four Ifrits runnings around :(

This way they still look cool, but aren't as Iconic which in turn just ends up diminishing the overall coolness.

I think this is a bit of a false dichotomy. There is middle ground between "short human sized elemental" and "screen filling godzilla".

The appeal of summoning in every Final Fantasy has always been conjuring impressive magical beasts. I don't think it's unreasonable to want something bigger than a Roegadyn.

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    GrycenGrycen Registered User regular
    Khez wrote: »
    I need some friends to level/quest with. Who wants to be my friend!

Plenty of those around here, We'll all be rolling on Sargatanas once we can actually play the game again. You should join us!

I've been looking forward to both this game and joining an MMO with this community that seems awesomely welcoming. I'll definitely be rolling on Sargatanas. :-)

Any word on when Phase 4 will open? I registered my code as soon as I got it and am now just anxiously waiting.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2013

Images of the Summoner "Egis". Ifrit, Titan, Garuda. Kinda disappointing really, they're so...dinky.

I'm a little confused by this. I thought we all knew that they wouldn't be the actual primals? These are basically exactly what I expected. I mean, sure they're not huge summons but could you imagine everyone running around with anything larger than those? It would get pretty crowded fast...

I don't think everyone is as up to date as some of us are in regards to FFXIV: ARR ;)

A lot of people are probably expecting similar to the summons in FFXI whereas for those of us who have been following the game closely we realize that the Summoners are getting smaller elemental versions instead.

It's cool to see Garuda and Titan though, I hadn't seen images of those yet :D. I'm very much looking forward to making my summoner once I get my Arcanist up to the appropriate level.

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean to call out Fiaryn specifically. It's just what I'm seeing a lot of boils down to: Why is my summon not going to take up my entire screen?!?

I agree, as much as I liked the designs in FFXI, it really lost it's luster when you saw three or four Ifrits runnings around :(

This way they still look cool, but aren't as Iconic which in turn just ends up diminishing the overall coolness.

I think this is a bit of a false dichotomy. There is middle ground between "short human sized elemental" and "screen filling godzilla".

The appeal of summoning in every Final Fantasy has always been conjuring impressive magical beasts. I don't think it's unreasonable to want something bigger than a Roegadyn.

I agree, however the appeal becomes lackluster when everyone is summoning the "iconic" beasts. It works in a single player game because they can pull off that special "You have mastered this unique beast that governs this element"

Not so much when you have 4 or 5 guys running around with them.

It has nothing to do with size, and I did not mention anything about size in my post. It has everything to do with Summons being Iconic figures and it loses that uniqueness when you see them everywhere. When you have entire armies of summoners running around all summoning "Ifrit" it's lame.

Now having them all summon an essence of Ifrit makes more sense in the context of the game.

I get what you are saying, and I agree with that for the single player games, but it was not as cool in FFXI and I'm glad they found a middle ground between the elementals and the Summons themselves. In FFXI you actually started out literally just summoning elementals until you tamed a primal anyways (aside from Carbuncle of course)

Seeing 8 summoners leveling up "Fenrir" in FFXI was incredibly stupid. :P

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

I'll also note that we still know relatively nothing about Summoners. The idea with these is that they should be persistent summons, we have no idea if Summoners get maybe a large impressive summon or two late game. Secondly, for what these guys are, they look more "balanced" when compared to other classes. Both in what I feel they should output in numbers and in overall visual style. If I summon Ifrit then he should be doing Ifrit-like damage, dammit. I don't want to feel like he hits for much less than what his size warrants. That's a rough example, but I feel like a summon of larger than a player character should also feel like it has a bit more umph than player characters, being as how it is a large elemental magical force.

Yes, I like impressive things as much as the next guy and I'm not saying it wouldn't be cool to have giant (or even just large) summons, just that I'm totally okay with these.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Well, there's a balance right? In order to balance with other classes, the more damage your summon does, the less you will do. I kind of prefer the system where you summon powerful creatures and have to run when they die and it's you against the mob, but I'm willing to try a system that attempts to make the actual summoner more relevant as a damage dealer in addition to his/her pet.

And it's not like big summons aren't in the game. Your free company will be able to summon the full on primals for a week or so at a time, should your free company win the right to do so. I'm not sure on the actual mechanics, but there is definitely a mechanism to summon big, flashy primals in-game. Or so they say, am interested to see what the free company summons actually look like. I like this better anyway,
    because according to the story I've seen so far, primals are summoned in times of turmoil by religious zealots who pray/sacrifice enough to them to coax them into solidifying out of the ether. So it's been suggested that once the right to summon the primal appears, you have to worship them sufficiently (fill a game meter of some sort) to actually get to use them. The primals are vicious, terrifying gods. The more I think about it, the more I like that eggis are the most a solo summoner could reasonably hope to control.

Not sure that needed to be spoilered, but just in case.

Will someone tell Square-Enix that I am ready to test summoner? In case they don't know and have been wondering.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    soylenth wrote: »
    Well, there's a balance right? In order to balance with other classes, the more damage your summon does, the less you will do. I kind of prefer the system where you summon powerful creatures and have to run when they die and it's you against the mob, but I'm willing to try a system that attempts to make the actual summoner more relevant as a damage dealer in addition to his/her pet.

And it's not like big summons aren't in the game. Your free company will be able to summon the full on primals for a week or so at a time, should your free company win the right to do so. I'm not sure on the actual mechanics, but there is definitely a mechanism to summon big, flashy primals in-game. Or so they say, am interested to see what the free company summons actually look like. I like this better anyway,
    because according to the story I've seen so far, primals are summoned in times of turmoil by religious zealots who pray/sacrifice enough to them to coax them into solidifying out of the ether. So it's been suggested that once the right to summon the primal appears, you have to worship them sufficiently (fill a game meter of some sort) to actually get to use them. The primals are vicious, terrifying gods. The more I think about it, the more I like that eggis are the most a solo summoner could reasonably hope to control.

Not sure that needed to be spoilered, but just in case.

Will someone tell Square-Enix that I am ready to test summoner? In case they don't know and have been wondering.

See and that is actually pretty cool. Because it makes the summoning of a big primals an actual event that does not diminish how cool the Primals are. They are able to retain being these iconic big summons and retain a good level of their uniqueness.

I also did not know any of that and it makes me very happy that they have actually put some thought into that aspect because as much as I loved Summoner in FFXI that was one thing that irked me and I couldn't really see a good way to deal with it.

Delphinidaes on
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    They can fit in my pocket for all I care as long as they bring down the sky :)

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    jdmichaljdmichal Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    They can fit in my pocket for all I care as long as they bring down the sky :)

This is pretty much it. Honestly, I don't care if the SMN Efrit is a little red pixel on the screen. As long as the spell effects involve enough fire to make Vesuvius blush, that's really what matters anyway.

XBox Live: KillerCodeMonky | Steam: KillerCodeMonky
    SC2: KillerCodeMk | LoL: KillerCodeMonky | FFXIV: Shea Demvas (Sargantas)
    Ghost in the Linkshell Item Requisitioning
    Let me know you are from PA, otherwise I will likely ignore you.
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I dunno, being pint size would seem to be not the point for Shiva users. ;P

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Have we seen Ramuh's Egis?

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the only Egis we've seen are the ones in that article (Ifrit, Titan, Garuda).

• Options
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    Well they certainly increased the performance. Old benchmark it was 7591, new one is 9878.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    I saw a 50% increase in my scores

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Radiant OctaveRadiant Octave Registered User regular
    Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker of Penny-Arcade, and today I decided to stop being anti-social and register. My vote went to "Ghost in the Linkshell." :D

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Hello everyone! I've been a long time lurker of Penny-Arcade, and today I decided to stop being anti-social and register. My vote went to "Ghost in the Linkshell." :D

Yessssss!

I welcome you with open arms!

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Hurrah! My plan is to play an Arcanist, so I realllllly hope they're available for Phase 4.

• Options
    I downloaded the benchmark last night, I will play with it today wheni have time

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    So in case you guys all missed it yesterday, there's some drama going around. Apparently some guy found a website that mentioned open beta registration would open on the 17th. Was definitely a SE website, but I wouldn't treat it as confirmation just yet. It has since been edited to reflect the other beta registration website, as well, which is just "
    As of July 22, 2013, 2 a.m. (PDT), we have temporarily closed the Beta Tester Application Site in preparation for Beta phase 4 (final Beta Test). The site will reopen once Beta phase 4 begins."

Previous text: "Beta registration is scheduled to begin August 17, 2013."

The forums are up in arms about it, of course, but it's a possibility we won't be able to get our fix till then. I guess we'll know more on the 8th.

• Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    Well that sucks if true.

On another note, my brother sent me a link of the crests we're supposedly going to be able to use to customize our free company logos. Looks pretty cool.

http://imgur.com/a/M37F1#0

I can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a game that wasn't a sequel of a game I loved.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    11k on the benchmark, 1920x1080 desktop, mostly highest settings.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Hurrah! My plan is to play an Arcanist, so I realllllly hope they're available for Phase 4.

Not sure on the open, but supposedly they will be there when live hits.

I myself plan on going thru healing mage and monk. all other classes/jobs will be secondary time sinks after that, hehe.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    Jakarrd wrote: »

Not sure on the open, but supposedly they will be there when live hits.

I myself plan on going thru healing mage and monk. all other classes/jobs will be secondary time sinks after that, hehe.

Conjurer to White Mage was my first plan until I heard about Arcanist. I might go Scholar over Summoner in the end since I do enjoy healing. We'll see.

I am so excited!

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    man i really hope beta starts before the 17th, thats the day classes start up again

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    So only a mere 6573 on maximum for my benchmark but the whole demo was still glorious to watch. Swapped the program to my SSD and got 6566? Not sure If i should be offended or really really impressed that square has optimized the loading of textures so well.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    That's good news for me, since I need to keep FFXIV on my storage/lower priority drive.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It's especially cool to see the character you'll be running in the benchmark. My score was ~6k on Max settings @ 1080p, so I may do some tweaking before launch.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    It's especially cool to see the character you'll be running in the benchmark. My score was ~6k on Max settings @ 1080p, so I may do some tweaking before launch.

right around 6 or 7k is where it hits "extremely high" so honestly you should be solid with that score. I was getting about 7500 and the game ran like silk for me in Beta, and that was with all the testing stuff in the background. It's since been optimized so it should be just fine.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, depending on what I tweaked on my laptop, I was able to get to 6700, which is more than fine by me (resolution, shadows, etc).

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options

Keep in mind these are generally pretty active scenes as well. General gameplay most likely won't push your system quite as hard so a 6k score isn't really that bad at all. Should be good!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

Keep in mind these are generally pretty active scenes as well. General gameplay most likely won't push your system quite as hard so a 6k score isn't really that bad at all. Should be good!

Personally the benchmark tends to get choppy in places, while I never experienced that in Phase 3

And I'm scoring around 3500 which is still "fairly high"

Edit: just retested after killing off a bunch of background processes and got 4k : )

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Your puny scores are nothing. If you don't have at least 10k you may as well get it on PS3.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    Your puny scores are nothing. If you don't have at least 10k you may as well get it on PS3.

Which is certainly what the general E-peen centric interweb denizens seem to be spouting off. I always find benchmarks amusing because they are designed to give the end user an idea of how their setup will fare but it invariably becomes a pissing match of tech geeks comparing their hardware :D

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    That is because it is showing a numerical score. There would be a lot less of a measuring contest if it limited itself to statements like "You can play on high settings!" or "Better upgrade, dude."

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    My benchmark score just said "You got a big dick, playa."

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    My benchmark score just said "You got a big dick, playa."

"I swear baby, that never happens!"

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i think somethings off with my computer. benchmark is running absolutely terribly, sub 1000 terribly, and any other game i boot up is super sluggish

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    i think somethings off with my computer. benchmark is running absolutely terribly, sub 1000 terribly, and any other game i boot up is super sluggish

turn it off then back on

Are you the magic man?
This discussion has been closed.