As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam] The Sale is over, but remember that Winter is Coming.

• Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    So, you know how when you take screenshots in a game, Steam will use one of your screenshots as the background image in your game list?

I just realized that a disproportionate number of my background images are masturbation jokes and dudes getting shot in the junk.

Maybe that says something about me as a person.

I think it means you have a serious love/hate relationship with male genitalia.

I could be wrong though, has every ink spill you've ever seen looked like an exploded penis? Either use of the word "exploded" will work here.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    So, you know how when you take screenshots in a game, Steam will use one of your screenshots as the background image in your game list?

I just realized that a disproportionate number of my background images are masturbation jokes and dudes getting shot in the junk.

Maybe that says something about me as a person.

?

This is exactly my problem.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    So, after a few levels of single player and a couple multiplayer matches of Rise of the Triad, here are my impressions:

Good:

This is a true return to the early 90's era of first person shooters. The action is blazing fast, the gibs are plentiful, and in just about any situation the correct answer is "rocket launcher". It feels great to drop into a game like this again. Even with modern throwbacks like Serious Sam and Painkiller, that feeling of complete insanity was never quite reached. Here, it's on display in all its original glory. Playing through it brings a smile to my face. On top of that, multiplayer is fast and furious, with never a moment to breath or even think. It's a great change of pace.

Bad:

It's almost too true to the original. All the crappy stuff that we've moved past since then is also included here. Enemy AI is atrocious. Level design is super linear and pretty bland so far (though I admit I haven't made it far into the game yet, and my memory of the later levels in the original is kind of fuzzy, so this may change). I have a feeling the single player might get a bit repetitive after a while, but we'll see. I didn't really get it for the single player campaign anyway. There are also a couple of issues with the level design on the multiplayer maps. Lots of points where you get stuck and things don't flow smoothly, especially coming off jump pads.

Ugly:

Look, I'm gonna give it to you straight here. This is not a pretty game. As in, I would have expected this level of graphical fidelity from a game maybe ten years ago. There are spots here and there where it looks okay, but overall, it looks badly dated. This would be okay by me though, considering the original game it's emulating, except that it also suffers from some pretty big performance issues. I can handle Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite on highest settings averaging over 60 fps. I haven't done a benchmark on this game yet, but the framerate stutters big time in several places. Another issue is that it feels like the netcode isn't quite up to speed yet. In the few games I played online, I experienced some really bad latency. This could have just been the servers I was playing on though, so it'll take some more testing.

I'm hoping the performance issues will be patched up, because that's probably the biggest thing keeping me from totally enjoying it right now. It's still great fun, especially for a guy like me who cut his PC gaming teeth on Wolfenstein, Doom, and of course the original ROTT. The nostalgia factor can only take you so far though, and I'm curious to see how younger gamers who aren't wearing those same rose-colored glasses will view a game like this.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Playing Tomb Raider again, I forgot how hilariously entertaining the expert kill finishers are.

Lara...bloodthirsty psychopath.

s7Imn5J.png
  • dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    So I won't lie... the chances of me buying shadowrun before the giveaway ends go up every day. I just keep thinking about how awesome it must be. The fact that games like that and xcom are coming out on ipad too makes it even worse, because I want to own them on BOTH platforms!

steam_sig.png
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    dougyfresh wrote: »
    So I won't lie... the chances of me buying shadowrun before the giveaway ends go up every day. I just keep thinking about how awesome it must be. The fact that games like that and xcom are coming out on ipad too makes it even worse, because I want to own them on BOTH platforms!

That reminds me, is there any word on an ipad version of FTL, I keep holding off on buying it thinking is would be better on a portable touch device

• YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    dougyfresh wrote: »

I'll tell you what I told Kool. This is a strictly single player game, so it's not like your missing the bus getting it later. You might as well hold out since it is not going anywhere and will only get cheaper from this point on while not decreasing in quality (well barring any kind of bizarre patching hijinks). It is a good game though, but you can afford to wait.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    The RotT steam forums have a few stickied threads with some tweaks that can help with various issues some people are reporting. The only problem I had with the game is the terrible mouth smoothing. That's just the Unreal 3 engine though, it's been a problem with every game that has used it this generation. It's simple stuff, generally of the ini tweak variety.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    signature.png

signature.png

uyvfOQy.png
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I managed to get Rise of the Triad to run.. okay I guess.
    But to do so, I had to disable dynamic lighting. So now I can't see shit.

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Spare Humble Bundle keys (say something if you use one):
    Crayon Physics Deluxe - FCR56-36V67-W7VL5
    Cogs - HY95L-KKH34-ET7ZM
    Nightsky - MXWFQ-6LEFN-V8779

I also have these vouchers if anyone wants them:
    25% off Dungeon Hearts
    90% off Krater
    50% off Serious Sam 2
    75% off Serious Sam 3: BFE
    10% off Toki Tori 2+
    50% off Triple Town

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ok steam thread, New sig, and my twitch account is for reals. I suck at games. My streams are me sucking at games. Maybe one day I will do something worth highlighting? I did highlight me beating Rogue Legacy on N setting. Anyway, enjoy the new and improved sig. Not to twitch me loosing at hitman. No one watches, but I get love knowing my game play is there. And when I have that awesome moment, it is saved.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    It's called Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Ultimate Edition and it comes with all the DLC.

Can I pay extra to have the DLC striken from canon? :(

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MisterMMisterM UKRegistered User regular
    I just bought Frozen Synapse: Complete which means I've got a spare copy of the Vanilla version if anyone would like it.

First to PM me their steamID/e-mail address gets it.

SCII-EU: MisterM.868 // LoL-EU-West: MisterM868 // Diablo3: MisterM#2476
    steam_sig.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    ugh, I want castlevania. and I have no reason to. I have so many games to play. like, I think I'm about to loose 2 hours playing ferie solitaire for no reason. I blame @lucharie for the review. and I love trip peaks... but blame. I would blame with gifts, but well, RL.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I've been doing this PC gaming thing for a while and rise of the triad never once came up on my radar. Cult classic or some such thing?

It was going to be a new Castle Wolfenstein licensed through Apogee but the deal fell apart. Apogee just threw together some crap about a cult, removed all of the Nazi stuff and replaced it with new not-swastika triangle thing and Rise of the Triad was born.

Some things that make Rise of the Triad the silly cult classic it is today-
    Dog Mode: Power up that turns you into an invincible dog of death.
    God Mode: Turn into an invulnerable glowing super deity of death. Also features the best sound effects ever.
    Mushroom Mode: Taste the rainbow.
    50 hojillion different kinds of rocket launcher.
    Secrets out the butt.
    More secrets.
    Eyeballs.

If you are sick of stories, linear levels, NPC companions, reloading your guns, only having one kind of rocket launcher, sanity, good taste, RPG mechanics in your shooter, realism, reality, sanity, reality, sanity, good taste, sanity, reality, sanity and the last bit of decency left in the world then you might appreciate this thing.

That sounds. . .awesome!

steam_sig.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Breath of Fire 6 was announced for PC!

As an online-touch based game.

Screw you Capcom.

• RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Thank you @Dyvim Tvar for Shining Force 2! Never got to play this on the Genesis, but I do look forward to it now.

steam_sig.png
    C2B wrote: »

Screw you Capcom.

online touch based?

still though

hahahahaha

steam_sig.png
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    RotT starting to run like total ass as I get further. Guess I'll wait for a patch.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    The Summer Dale may be over, but this thread's class never ends. I've been mightily gifted this sale, so in an effort not to start a class war, I'm using Switzerland Steamgifts to give away a few things. All are for members of the Adventure Team group.

Today's Giveaway!
    signature.png

Yesterday's Giveaway!
    signature.png
    Includes Cluck Costume DLC

Upcoming GIveaways!
    signature.png

Previous Winners
    signature.png
    WINNER! @Broncbuster

signature.png
    Includes Darksiders, Red Faction: Armageddon, Red Faction: Armageddon Path to War DLC, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, and Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor
    WINNER! @BathTubb

signature.png
    WINNER! @zhirzzh

signature.png
    WINNER! @Micro

signature.png
    WINNER! @RoyceX7

signature.png
    Should include most if not all of the DLC
    WINNER! @Svevin

signature.png
    WINNER! @Svevin

signature.png
    WINNER! @Ryadic

signature.png
    WINNER! @Taramoor

Who doesn't like some leftovers?! Also, last call for yesterday's giveaway!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Not Steam related, but I just got 3 beta keys for Card Hunter.
    Its a fun "card" game that is basically D&D floormap combat. With cards.
    Use https://accounts.cardhunter.com/register to register

TDST-FYHW-HQFC
    PRDW-WKTT-YKBP
    KJNJ-TBKM-DYDG

Go wild :P

EDIT: all gone!

Drunken Bastard on
    how well does shining force II hold up anyway? i think i kinda maybe want to sell a few cards and buy it.

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Screw you Capcom.

online touch based?

still though

hahahahaha

Wait...fucking... what?

Bubby wrote: »
    RotT starting to run like total ass as I get further. Guess I'll wait for a patch.

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people with newer systems and especially ATI/AMD video cards reporting performance issues. For what it's worth my older system runs the game fucking great. That's gotta chap some asses, but hey I'm a happy camper. So if you don't feel like rolling the dice wait for a patch or two I guess. It's a shame, the game is a total old school blast. It's pretty much exactly like the original just in a modern engine.

In other news, HOLY SHIT TAKE ON MARS EARLY ACCESS OMFG. Guess I'm gonna spend another 12.99 today. Stop with all the awesome releases, game making peoples. This is getting ridiculous. I have too much awesome shit to play. This is a problem.
    Nah, it's not really a problem. Except for my aching wallet.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    how well does shining force II hold up anyway? i think i kinda maybe want to sell a few cards and buy it.

It's one of the best SRPGs ever. You want it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    Bubby wrote: »

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of people with newer systems and especially ATI/AMD video cards reporting performance issues. For what it's worth my older system runs the game fucking great. That's gotta chap some asses, but hey I'm a happy camper. So if you don't feel like rolling the dice wait for a patch or two I guess. It's a shame, the game is a total old school blast. It's pretty much exactly like the original just in a modern engine.

In other news, HOLY SHIT TAKE ON MARS EARLY ACCESS OMFG. Guess I'm gonna spend another 12.99 today. Stop with all the awesome releases, game making peoples. This is getting ridiculous. I have too much awesome shit to play. This is a problem.
    Nah, it's not really a problem. Except for my aching wallet.

Whoa that looks really interesting!
    If you buy it please post a mini review.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @Spoit found it necessary to plug the gap in my library with a steam key of Uplink. One letter away from a complete alphabet, thank you sir.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    @Spoit found it necessary to plug the gap in my library with a steam key of Uplink. One letter away from a complete alphabet, thank you sir.

What letter?

Just, you know, for science.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Not Steam related, but I just got 3 beta keys for Card Hunter.
    Its a fun "card" game that is basically D&D floormap combat. With cards.
    Use https://accounts.cardhunter.com/register to register

TDST-FYHW-HQFC
    PRDW-WKTT-YKBP
    KJNJ-TBKM-DYDG

Go wild :P

I grabbed the last one on that list... Thanks!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I don't get the point of Take on Mars? A simulation game of something we know little about to simulate? Is it science-fiction? You drive a buggy on martian soil and ... ?

it has achievements?

Alegis on
    edited August 2013

It's one of the best SRPGs ever. You want it.

i played it when I was a dumb little kid

let's play the card selling game!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    What letter?Just, you know, for science.
    You could check his profile, you know?

Be sure to check it out. No other game has done the hacking thing as well as Uplink has. It really nails the romanticized concept most people have of hacking through fiction and media. Lots of nice in-jokes too. And even though I'm a competent hacker in that game I've never managed to complete the story line. I always fall off at a certain point. I don't mind though, it gives me a reason to go back to it every now and then.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »

why?

edited August 2013
    Alegis wrote: »
    I don't get the point of Take on Mars? A simulation game of something we know little about to simulate? Is it science-fiction? You drive a buggy on martian soil and ... ?

it has achievements?

You do science. The campaign has you trying to achieve mission objectives within budget. There are things to discover based on current theory.

I may not have become the astronaut/scientist I dreamed of being when I was a small boy and the space race was in full glorious motion. But I can play Take On Mars.

Drake on
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    @Albino Bunny decided I didn't have enough storms in my life, so they dropped one on me. Rising Storm to be precise. Thanks! <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    No other game has done the hacking thing as well as Uplink has. It really nails the romanticized concept most people have of hacking through fiction and media.

I love Uplink, but I think Street Hacker is a better hacking game. I just wish it was on Steam.

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Does it matter? Isn't Luchaire still as harmless as a declawed kitten? :)

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

Screw you Capcom.

online touch based?

still though

hahahahaha

Wait...fucking... what?

b13cc9b2.jpg
    bec4a717.jpg
    b7bf774f.jpg

I'm not sure if the exces at Capcom realise that every attempt at revitalizing old franchises as an online game has failed in some way so far.

This discussion has been closed.