As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] The Sale is over, but remember that Winter is Coming.

19495969798100»

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    I'm going to start playing Pinball FX2 soon so if anyone wants to feel better about their scores, please add me on Steam so that I can confirm my perceived suck level.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Seriously, though. Gun to my head, and depending on the day of the week, I might actually say that Beyond Good & Evil is my favorite video game. It's shuffling around somewhere in the top 10, for sure.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

Awesome. I'm playing through the first game now and it's pretty swell.

Need a sequel to Gaurdian of Light though. Get on that Sqeenix!

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Florin wrote: »
    I need some help here. What game should I choose? Beyond Good and Evil or Zeno Clash 2?

I'll start this by saying that Zeno Clash is a real good game, and I'm sure Zeno Clash 2 is also good.

That said, Beyond Good & Evil is one of the best games ever made. It's the rare game that combines a brilliantly realized world that you just want to dig into with some of the most enjoyable gameplay ever. Seriously, it's like they took a look at the 3D Zelda games, decided to refine the combat, add (awesome, non-gimmicky) photography, toss in some beautifully executed stealth elements and filter it through Michel Ancel's beautiful imagination. It's got a kickass, strong female protagonist, it's got an evil oppressive big bad, it's got fucking fantastic supporting characters that you will care about, and it's got dialog and writing that is so sharp you're likely to cut yourself. It's even got vehicular segments that are actually FUN. It's also got what, to this day, is the absolute best chase sequence in all of video games that Uncharted has been desperately trying to ape for years.

This is not the sort of game that comes around very often. You owe it to yourself to play Beyond Good & Evil.
    I feel terrible that I never finished it. I'll have to watch for it to go on sale again - or doublecheck my son's PS2 collection, we may already have a copy on hand.

And Papo & Yo at that price is really tempting...think I may have to sell some cards when I get home :)

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Luchaire wrote: »
    /makes mental note to do terrible things to @Dyvim Tvar's backlog at the earliest opportunity

Let's not do anything I might regret, okay?

In other news, this Bethesda sale is disgustingly tempting.
    Fallout pack? Well I've never actually played a Fallout game outside of the new ones so I guess I owe it to myself to...oh is that a Quake pack? Well you know I also criminally avoided shooters back in my formulative years when Quake was in it's heyda...is that a Hexen pack? Oh man I heard...Ooh Wolfenstein? I really liked Return to... OMG CALL OF CTHULU DARK CORNERS????
    I don't think I'm going to make it through this without my bank calling me to ask what the fuck I think I'm doing! Also overdraft charges, so many overdraft charge.
    I guess I don't need food next week, right guys?

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I need somebody to sell me on Papo & Yo. What type of game is it? It looks puzzle-y which I like. But it sounds like the Monster is a dick who can kill you which I don't. Would I be looking at neat puzzle solving or "Haha you dead try again" puzzle solving?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    /makes mental note to do terrible things to @Dyvim Tvar's backlog at the earliest opportunity

Let's not do anything I might regret, okay?

In other news, this Bethesda sale is disgustingly tempting.
    Fallout pack? Well I've never actually played a Fallout game outside of the new ones so I guess I owe it to myself to...oh is that a Quake pack? Well you know I also criminally avoided shooters back in my formulative years when Quake was in it's heyda...is that a Hexen pack? Oh man I heard...Ooh Wolfenstein? I really liked Return to... OMG CALL OF CTHULU DARK CORNERS????
    I don't think I'm going to make it through this without my bank calling me to ask what the fuck I think I'm doing! Also overdraft charges, so many overdraft charge. I guess I don't need food next week, right guys?

Hold off on the Bethesda games. It's a couple days of sales. So today pick up Quake/Doom/Rage cause they're 75%. I'm sure Elder Scrolls and Fallout will be at least 50% later.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wolfenstiein pack doesn't have the most recent game, I'm guessing?

I really wish they'd put that back on Steam.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Have to say I never understood the praise BG&E got. I played it on Gamecube awhile back after hearing it recommended a great deal, and found it decent but unamazing. Combat was press A, stealth was simplistic, the premise behind the title and the way Ancel described it is belied by the Quite Evil villains who are laughably obvious from the moment the game opens, and the story is nonsensical, though I can't actually ding them for that last one since they intended it to be a trilogy. It's worth playing and it had something that a lot of Rare titles had: a sense of charm, but it always felt incomplete and half-baked to me. I hope (and expect) we'll see BG&E2 to clear things up.

Jade is cool, though, and it has like reggae hippos or something, and I can't think of a single game that wouldn't be improved by reggae hippos.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    I need somebody to sell me on Papo & Yo. What type of game is it? It looks puzzle-y which I like. But it sounds like the Monster is a dick who can kill you which I don't. Would I be looking at neat puzzle solving or "Haha you dead try again" puzzle solving?

It's a puzzle-based story game. With puzzles that range from easy to challenging, but never "break out the youtube links" frustrating.

The monster can't actually "reload save game" kill you. Usually he's your friend. Until he gets into yummy poison frogs, at which point he becomes enraged and attacks but his attacks just toss you around like a beanbag and make you run around screaming like a little girl (until you find the antidote). The player can't die in this game.

His rages actually play into the puzzles - like you have to enrage him to get him to chase you to trigger some thing you're too small/weak to move, then you have to calm him down again in order to get him to sleep so you can bounce on his big bouncy belly and reach a high place you can't otherwise reach.

Etc.

It has a beautiful soundtrack. The art is amazing - the game "world" is in the character's childlike imagination so the world is constructed of things like painted-and-textured blocks of styrofoam.

Also, the feels. With an incredible gutpunch bit near the end.

Did I mention beautiful?

It's also short - about on par with To the Moon in length.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Not sure if these still work but I thought I would put them out there for anyone:

Crayon Physics - DD94R-IAQEX-GXL74
    Cogs - 62WJ3-WXLFE-FV0V3
    Nightsky - 5PIAP-Q5NQM-Y3ARE
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP - MJAW5-IWNRX-EWWW0
    Aquaria - 79W8A-RA34G-QK8ZN
    Nightsky - PGK7Y-Q3Z3G-CEQ04

Let me know if you use them or if they don't work.

@Ed Gruberman, Aquaria is taken. Not by me though.

shdwcaster on
  • Options
    FlorinFlorin Registered User regular
    Florin wrote: »
    I need some help here. What game should I choose? Beyond Good and Evil or Zeno Clash 2?

I'll start this by saying that Zeno Clash is a real good game, and I'm sure Zeno Clash 2 is also good.

That said, Beyond Good & Evil is one of the best games ever made. It's the rare game that combines a brilliantly realized world that you just want to dig into with some of the most enjoyable gameplay ever. Seriously, it's like they took a look at the 3D Zelda games, decided to refine the combat, add (awesome, non-gimmicky) photography, toss in some beautifully executed stealth elements and filter it through Michel Ancel's beautiful imagination. It's got a kickass, strong female protagonist, it's got an evil oppressive big bad, it's got fucking fantastic supporting characters that you will care about, and it's got dialog and writing that is so sharp you're likely to cut yourself. It's even got vehicular segments that are actually FUN. It's also got what, to this day, is the absolute best chase sequence in all of video games that Uncharted has been desperately trying to ape for years.

This is not the sort of game that comes around very often. You owe it to yourself to play Beyond Good & Evil.

BG&E has a new buyer. Thanks for your help.

• Options

It's a puzzle-based story game. With puzzles that range from easy to challenging, but never "break out the youtube links" frustrating.

The monster can't actually "reload save game" kill you. Usually he's your friend. Until he gets into yummy poison frogs, at which point he becomes enraged and attacks but his attacks just toss you around like a beanbag and make you run around screaming like a little girl (until you find the antidote). The player can't die in this game.

His rages actually play into the puzzles - like you have to enrage him to get him to chase you to trigger some thing you're too small/weak to move, then you have to calm him down again in order to get him to sleep so you can bounce on his big bouncy belly and reach a high place you can't otherwise reach.

Etc.

It has a beautiful soundtrack. The art is amazing - the game "world" is in the character's childlike imagination so the world is constructed of things like painted-and-textured blocks of styrofoam.

Did I mention beautiful?

That sounds great and now I own it. Thanks @Luchaire and the stupid TF2 stuff I traded/sold yesterday!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Praxus1874Praxus1874 West Valley City, UTRegistered User regular
    Omg, I just bought all the DOOMs and Wolfensteins that money could buy. So awesome!

I want the Fallout games too, but I think I can get those for a better deal later on. Probably during the winter sale.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Anybody had any luck running Soul Reaver on Vista? I'm getting various issues like flickering textures and massive slowdown.

• Options
    Okay that's super weird. Buying Papo & Yo prompted Steam to finally spit out the 2 summer sale cards it owed me. Onto the market you go to languish with your uncrafted brethren!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular

Etc.

Did I mention beautiful?

Is it kid friendly? Much hitting of things with other things? For instance, Dust is a bit violent and hitty for Mrs. Dirk to be comfy with showing the kiddo...

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular
    I'm going to start playing Pinball FX2 soon so if anyone wants to feel better about their scores, please add me on Steam so that I can confirm my perceived suck level.

I just started last night too. Only playing the free table so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

Etc.

Did I mention beautiful?

Is it kid friendly? Much hitting of things with other things? For instance, Dust is a bit violent and hitty for Mrs. Dirk to be comfy with showing the kiddo...

No hitting of things, no combat at all. Just a rather scary monster - very scary at times, though, especially as the setting and music play into it as well to create an overall atmosphere of "run the fuck away!"

Depending on the kid, though, the story is REALLY not kid-friendly. It involves mature themes of addiction and abuse, but a younger kid might not even realize that - they might just see puzzles and a monster. Again, though... a scary monster.

I'm really gonna have to say it's not kid-friendly overall. But large swaths of just casual puzzle-solving would be. So... er... selective sharing?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    @jclast - The short back story on the creation of Papo & Yo
    The game actually is a metaphor for the relationship that the creator had with his alcoholic father. The creator made the game to help him work through a lot of the leftover stuff. I don't remember all the details but it's something like that

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    MisterMMisterM UKRegistered User regular
    MisterM wrote: »
    Steam thread. I'm going to take my PC to my living room for relaxed steam gaming time in glorious HD.

I just have to enter offline mode first right? Anything else I should know about Steam without an internet connection if I can't get this wireless dongle to work?

You won't want to remove it from your living room.

/hugs dedicated Big Picture Mode PC <3

Fortunately I don't have a wireless KB/M

(i do actually but they are locked away somewhere lost and forgotten)

I have a Logitech K400, I think? Its a compact wireless keyboard with a built in track pad for those games where you can't rely on an Xbox controller alone. I'm looking at you Skyrim and your mouse driven launcher. Generally though I don't need to touch it. The PC boots straight into BPM and gets shut down from there.

SCII-EU: MisterM.868 // LoL-EU-West: MisterM868 // Diablo3: MisterM#2476
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Geth or @Rorus Raz can we get a lock up ins?

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I've always wanted to try this!

@Geth, lock the thread please.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Don't think it worked!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Geth don't answer to the likes of us. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    Geth don't answer to the likes of us. :(

But he still creepily "likes" some of our posts.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Geth, close the thread

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Rorus Raz. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.